1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Charlie Durham's brother killed Charlie's fiance, so Charlie killed him and his family.

There wasn't any evidence to show that he killed his brother or his family, so Ted framed Charlie for the murder of his fiance.

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Neither Paragon nor Alan offered to rejuvenate Ted? Or Ted didn't consider asking Alan? I've talked about this before, I believe, both for Ted and the Garricks. I guess they're in the 'my time/life has passed and I have to accept that' camp? Though maybe Ted will reconsider if he thinks there's a chance of him going to Hell for this.

3. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I know it's not what he sounds like, but everytime I read any of Mr. Zatara's lines, I always imagine him sounding like Dr. Orpheus from Venture Bros.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Thanks to his meta-knowledge, he doesn't have to. Of course, telling anyone else, he'd probably have to make up something about seeing it via empathic vision or Ring-based research. But one of these days, he's going to have to come clean about it...

Given that in the comics, him telling her that made her shoot herself (didn't actually stop her, but) that would at least get her looking at what's giving her her target list.

Hell of a mess. No-one was getting out of that in one piece, ultimately.

Don't be annoyed at him, folks. It was nearly forty years ago, and he's only human.

The comics ultimately never explored that, did they? What drove the Guns' power?

To make it easier, imagine the biggest, most self-absorbed asshole misanthrope you can think of. Then multiply that by itself.

And all those damnations would likely be added to its rap sheet, when it finally gets free and returns to Hell itself. With a big promotion waiting for it.

Be glad Ted Knight and Jay Garrick aren't here. The Guns' host would be spinning like a memeing CoD sniper trying to shoot all of them at once... Which would not be as funny as you think it is, given a little thing called overpenetration.

True. Wartime may have different rules, but given the Guns' habit of playing fast and loose with the concept of 'innocence' thus far...

Or if it was completely accidental, like deflecting a flying artillery shell back towards the battery that fired it? No knowing where it might blow up, after all. Crazy shit happens on the battlefield.

Yep. Sometimes said auras or true-sight spells or the like, work off a very different code of justice.

That'll be a weight off his chest.

Would be a pain if you brought him back, only for her to start trying to kill him again.

Naturally. DC's Greatest Detective, after all. Though outside of Barry, he's probably the only properly-trained Forensics expert on the team... I doubt J'onn dipped that far into the nitty-gritty of his police detective identity.

Too late for any poor victims she's already taken down, but they can be avenged. How poetic (or ironic, to taste.)

At this age, you'd probably break a hip. So save the Tomcat game for later.

Quite the experience Ted's having, I bet. I doubt he's ever had the 'OL's Wild Ride' trip before today.

Ah, the awkwardness of international affairs.

Just two old buddies, shooting the shit.

Ah, the old dog, still able to learn new tricks even now.

A few interesting data points for the Bat. I expect he'll have a full work-up on Jill Carlyle inside the next five minutes. Which will probably draw attention to the cause of her association with the Guns.

Arkannone, for the record. From the Hitman series. And that's a fairly logical association to make on OL's part.

Which is odd, she does speak in the comic. Albeit briefly, in between trying to kill Wildcat.

Which is very unusual. Maybe she's shut down in some kind of shock, and the Guns are piloting her body...

Exposition time! Now, will OL break out the whiteboards for illustrations? :p

Now, to see how different the Crimson Avenger's canon was on Earth-16. I doubt there'll be any major deviations from 'Wronged man gets cursed Guns, rights 'wrongs' until something bad happens, then backpedals into a less lethal route, probably donning a spandex costume along the way...' Still, Mr Zoat can always surprise us somehow. :D

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's a miracle!

Paragon was actually wrong about something!

Eld_Tiger likes this.
  6. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

Is this 'Yeah' meant to be orange, since it seems to be ring-comms?

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. Durham killed his brother, sister-in-law and nephew. Durham's brother killed Durham's girlfriend. Durham was executed for the murder his brother comitted.
    Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

One think that might turn out to be different is when his adventures started, because Wildcat commented that Victor Leong was about his age, and also said that the Crimson Avenger was from his father's generation. Maybe Lee Travis fought in WWI instead of the Spanish Civil War? The early Crimson Avenger stories were very 'Pulp Hero'-flavored, IIRC.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

Then who got the chair?

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Charlie Durham, given that all of the others mentioned were killed.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Charlie Durham.

12. FourthPear

Then why did he need to be framed for some random lady’s death?

13. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Their was no evidence for the crimes he did commit, so he had to be framed for a different murder to be convicted.

Prince Charon and ChestBurster like this.
  14. FourthPear

Then why was the ‘he got the chair’ part written as if it happened before the framing, as if it was about a completely different set of people?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  15. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

No, Who's on first. What got the chair.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

16. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who?
    ???

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's probably a reference from something Zoat once saw or read.

Doccer likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Arkannone.
    Vale of tears.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Nope, it was correct in the first place. When you're trying to figure out what pronoun to use when you have a conjunction, leave out everything but the pronoun -- in this case, "takes a shot at ... me" is correct while "takes a shot at ... I" is not, therefore it should be "Diana and me" here.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I would point out that does mean he helped at least one murderer escape justice.

The murderer who actually killed that woman.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That guy was already dead at the hands of the framed guy.

Prince Charon likes this.
  22. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Can't escape justice if you're dead.

Charlie Durham already killed his brother and his whole family.

Prince Charon likes this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, you missed this correction. This should say 'Rag Doll'.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  24. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

My first introduction to Rag Doll was from the Less Than Zero fanfiction, where he appeared as a side character in a Secret Six sort of story. He seemed pretty decent. Very dedicated to his art. I'm almost sure that he's also a homicidal maniac, but until I'm confronted with that, I can still go on appreciating him.

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That was probably his son, Peter Merkel Jr, aka the second Rag Doll.

Nuts but loyal to his team.

Unless he feels like your are taking his niche as team weirdo, in which case he'll try to murder you, as he attempted with Dr Psycho, and according to the wiki, Harley.

26. Threadmarks: Versus the Rake Men (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

21st year of the reign of King Randor I
    Season of Chill
    307th day, 16th bell

I lightly shove the book away with a frustrated sigh.

"So that's three sources that contradict each other. I know record-keeping went to pot after Hordak invaded, but I don’t understand how these people can't agree about simple factual matters!"

Evelyn -who is sitting on the edge of the table, bare right thigh facing me- pulls the book across to her and closes it, running her right forefinger over the front piece with a pale golden glow.

"It's not contemporary. 'Records of Desolation' is a glorified collection of folk tales woven into a narrative a century after the events it alleges to describe. You'd be better off trusting either of the other works." She looks away. "Not that either of them had any direct contact with him."

"Do you know anywhere better to-?"

She tilts her head back, making a show of looking at the ceiling.

"What do you think Nolar would do if I appeared at the festival in disguise?"

"Ah-. The terms of your parole aren't widely known, so I imagine that if he recognised you he'd try to let Sir Duncan know. And possibly try to follow you so he could foil whatever your evil plan was."

She looks down at me, left eyebrow arched. "I think that you're overestimating his rationality."

"Perhaps, but you did try and burn him to death. That sort of thing can overpower even the strongest ardour. But if we could return to the matter of Hordak?"

"Did you know that I was there when he turned Keldor into Skeletor?"

I sit back in my chair, giving her my full attention. "No, I didn't. I always assumed that Keldor managed that himself."

"Hardly."

"With a little help from yourself?"

"I just brought him to Hordak's temple. Ske-. Keldor, performed the summoning himself."

I raise my eyebrows. "Hordak physically manifested? I didn't think he could do that."

"There was a cloud of smoke in the shape of his face." She turns a couple of pages in The Codex of the End Times, stopping on an artist's impression of Hordak's face supposedly copied from a pre-invasion hologram. "Something like that. He's the reason why Keldor wasn't killed by his own acid."

"Why his head is a floating skull."

"He just asked Hordak to save him. He never said how. Perhaps Hordak didn't like his face."

I frown. "Is his.. head actually a skull, or is his flesh just transparent?"

"It's actually a skull. His skin is cold to the touch and his flesh is shrunken. I believe that he's some sort of undead creature now, though I've never seen any record of something similar."

"Are you having regrets?"

"What, about saving Keldor? Or not asking Hordak to do the same to me?"

"About Mister Blok."

She raises her eyebrows. "I regret not winning. Does that count?"

"You brought him up. Know anything else about Hordak that I'm not going to find here?"

"Did you know that Prince Adam had a tw-?"

"Twin sister, yes, I did."

She frowns. "They told you? I thought they were keeping that-." Her eyes narrow slightly. "No. You found out. How?"

"Not all these books are particularly reliable. But I've seen enough pictures to know roughly what henchmen Hordak was banished with. If people matching that description turn up after fighting the Eternos guard in the modern era, that's worth noting. I take it that you were involved in that?"

"I took part in the ritual used to bring them here. I was left holding the gateway open until they returned." Her nose wrinkles. "An unpleasant experience."

I frown. "If Hordak can send soldiers through from his side whenever he wants, why doesn't he do it more often?"

"How would he maintain control of them? Skeletor ensures-. Ensured, that we were forced to compete for his favour and for the resources we wanted. That required us to stay put. If any of us were away from Snake Mountain for any length of time, we would build up our own resource base and so become less dependent on him. Personal loyalty is a fragile thing."

"So what were you in it for? He used the Ram Stone himself after you stole it for him. There's no way he would have shared the power of Grayskull with you."

"What are you in it for? If Hordak accepted Keldor as his servant he would be perfectly happy to accept you."

A reasonable enough question. And at this point I'd guess that she's sufficiently invested that she's not just looking for an escape route.

"There's a book series where I'm from, set in the fictional city of Ankh-Morpork. The city's ruler is a man named Havelock Vetinari, and the book describes one of the way he holds onto power as… Convincing powerful groups within the city that it's better to accept the same segment of a larger pie than try to claim the whole of a smaller pie with a knife in it. If he makes the city more powerful, then even if their power relative to other power blocs inside the city doesn't change, their absolute power does."

She nods. "A tenth of ten is one, but a tenth of a million is a hundred thousand."

"Right. When I joined, the Masters were the military elite of the city-state of Eternos. Now, we're the military elite of a continent-spanning alliance that Eternos leads. And if things keep going, with Keldor and King Hiss out of the way… Why not the whole of Eternia? Heck, as far as I've been able to discover-" I gesture to a small pile of books on the far side of the table. "-Eternia had a unified government before Hordak invaded."

"Your renown will be worldwide. But what would you do with it?"

"Hordak wrecked Eternia's technology base so badly that advanced machines are ancient relics that we can't replace and only a handful of people like Tri-Klops, Sortech or Sir Duncan can even begin to understand it."

She frowns in irritation. "Every single time we've spoken, you've called me Evelyn, and yet you call Tri-Klops by his preferred name. Why?"

"Because I have no idea what his name is. We have records of your father, and Kronis dealt in high tech weapons in Eternos's territory for years, but Tri-Klops..? No record until he appeared with Keldor."

"I suppose you can't have scoured every inch of Eternia for one man's name. Though for your reference, it's Trydor, and I'm still waiting to hear what you'd do with your fame."

"Rebuild the civilisation that Hordak destroyed. Make it so that the technology of your ancestors was commonplace again. Because the stronger Eternia is, the more secure I am. What matters to me is how good my life is; I don't care if other people have a life that's just as good. Surviving examples of the technology of that era are rare, and people hoard rare things. But if I'm trusted…"

I make a point of looking around the library, gesturing to it with my right hand.

"They will give you access, as the Sorceress did." She considers this for a moment. "Hmm. Not so different from my own plans, to tell the truth. I planned to follow Keldor's rise to the top."

"Keldor would never trust you with the power Teela Na has entrusted to me. Not even if he ruled the entire planet and had every artefact of arcane significance stuck in his backpack. And as powerful as he was, I'm not convinced that he has anything like the knowledge required to become more than the king of the molehill. And even if he did, if Hordak's still pulling his strings? Hordak's going to have his own inner circle that you wouldn't be a part of."

"True." She looks down at the glowing lettering on her right thigh. Her toned and muscular right thigh. "Despite the indignity, in the long run this may be the best thing that could have happened to me. And if you're being so noble about the command geas, there's no reason why you could not return tom-."

DOOOOOOONG!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'send'.

That should say 'named'.

Looks like the other shoe has dropped. I'm interested in seeing what this version of Paul can do in an actual fight.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'send'

'named'

Also you may be trying to her out if her "Evil Lyn" mindset.

You have a thing for thighs.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.