1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I assume that Dong was someone hitting Pauls head and it's ringing like a bell

Also, is there even one paralel Paul that got together with a dude?

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The joy of investigating something that happened a long time ago. Especially in a world that has forgotten so much of that time. It's like modern archaeologists trying to piece together daily life in ancient Egypt from wall decorations and tomb-wards.

If there's one fashion trend in Eternia I approve of, it's the 'active ladies wear leotards.' Woof.

And coincidentally arching her back and pushing her chest out? Yes, one guess what she's trying on Lantern.

At least he won't be thinking with 'Little Blok' this time.

Yes, I rather think you've burnt any hope of reconciling with him.

...With his face melting off? That'd take some focus and control.

And a jumpstart from your magic. Though you only really played the role of 'starter motor'...

And such an... Impressive face it is. Still a better interpretation that the toy version at the top of that page. Yow.

Or it was simply too damaged to put back together. You see his lips sliding off his mouth there, after all.

No neck either, you'll note. Wonder if the top of his torso has exposed flesh there, or is it a smooth lump with a hole for air and food to pass down?

...I don't think you quite have the bone structure for that look, dear.

Entirely natural regret to have, especially since you were beaten by someone not using magic.

He remembers that much from the eighties, I take it. Since he would have no knowledge of the Noughties version.

And quite a motley and distinctive crew they are, for sure.

Limited numbers of disposable troops? Management issues? Obscure rules enforced by cosmic entities?

Heh. He evidently hasn't been gone that long, if she still tends to refer to him in present tense... And if he's some kind of undead, there's no guarantee he's truly killable.

The lady does have a taste for powerful men, doesn't she?

And it did seem to work quite well for him, barring the occasional old-fashioned idiot trying their hand at rebellion.

Make the world better than it is. Which is a common theme amongst Orange-Ringed Pauls, I've noticed.

It's badass? I mean, he wears an obvious weakness on his face, yet rarely does anyone manage to hurt him...

Oh, no, it's even better than merely 'Trydor'. The Classic series of toys named him thus: Trydor Esooniux Scope. :confused: Imagine the childhood bullying.

...They'll hand you what you ask for, and thank you for the privilege of doing so. Perfect way to use people's own avarice for the better.

Because Skeletor thought small. Sure, he dreamed big, but he wanted everything on a platter immediately. To become truly powerful takes time. He always sought out shortcuts, ones which had big drawbacks that would bite him in the ass.

An alarm bell? Or merely the sound of Lantern's erection hitting the table? :p

Oh, this is not going to encourage the Sorceress to take another night off anytime soon. Lantern had better not let Grayskull get invaded on his watch, or he'll never hear the end of it. On the upside, he has a lot more options for dealing with intruders than the Sorceress does, between a Power Ring and a hopefully friendly ally. It'll be interesting to see how Evelyn responds...

Vorian, w34v3r, Ardy and 11 others like this.
  3. Temp0101

Temp0101 Not too sore, are you?

I can't tell if OL is being dense or obtuse.

4. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Deliberately obtuse, i would think? He's busy with important research, after all...

Wetbananas, Vorian, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  5. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Sorry, sorry... I try not to interrupt anybody with my massive dong.

Please, continue what you were saying!

6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Ah, the Doom Bell rings! And I doubt a new Heterodyne just arrived on planet.

This is Paul we're talking about here. Neutron stars wish they were as dense...

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  7. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

It seems obvious that Paul and Evelyn are interested in each other, I don't know what that sound at the end was, keep in mind that I haven't seen the entire show, but I do like that you kept Adora and what Paul's plans are. What other alternates are you going to create? Heroes of Might and Magic? Dragon Age? Mass Effect? Witcher? Skullduggery Pleasant? Star Wars? Also, will Paol from warhammer fantasy have to deal with the events from the total war games like the comet or Ursun being held captive? If so I see his mindset making negotiating with the dragons of Grand Cathay easier than most. Sorry about having so many questions all at once but I am curious.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The last person she seduced early got set on fire. Also, as stated, he's in a position of mystically-enforced authority over her.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    What?
    No.
    The Cathay from the game doesn't exist, since it contradicts existing lore and the themes of the setting.

9. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

That's not an explosion. I was expecting an explosion. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going!

"in", I think.

Chojin Patriarch, Mr Zoat and Ardy like this.
  10. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

The incredibly minimal lore? There's already more written for this version than for all prior descriptions of Cathay put together. Like the old French Revolution version of Bretonnia, it's retconned because the old version didn't work. Themes is a more valid point, but I don't see how it's a problem there.

Wetbananas, Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.
  11. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

What are the chances of Evelyn betraying Paul mid conflict? Are the magical bindings guaranteed to prevent that?

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Psst, that was Mr Zoat for "They are too powerful and my SI wouldn't be able to just walk all over them.".

Senevri likes this.
  13. BrotherofaStudio

Good point, he really should be cautious but I don't see it as an impossibility

Pity but OK

Alright

Surprising but alright

Very well

It's an urban fantasy book series about a skeleton detective and his partner as they solve some mysteries and save the world, multiple times. Said detective is flamboyant egotistical dapper gentleman and very funny.

Missed opportunity in my opinion but your decision

Oh well, you're the boss but is there anything from the games you will include?

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Warhammer dragons are animals. They can't talk or use magic. That's a fairly big departure.
    It would be very difficult for her to betray him. Not completely impossible, but very difficult.
    I don't like any of the new stuff, and don't remember the old Star Wars books I read in my youth well enough to use those.

No. Nothing. We're in the build up to Storm of Chaos.

15. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

So she would have either had to have been preparing for a good chance to do it for a while now, and would have to decide that it's worth it to cut a deal with the attackers, or planned for something to happen that day, and been preparing specifically for it. Quite hard to do any of that when she is likely being watched and having her actions, intentions, and loyalties questioned semi regularly.

16. Mr Zoat

She would have to create a shell personality without using magic, and hope that Teela Na was careless for months at a time and have plan which gave her no way to receive instructions and didn't require her to attack any Eternian.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wrong, that's literally stated to just be the common view of Warhammer Dragons.

18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Umm... I'm not sure precisely which part says it's a common view of dragons, but since at least 2005's Old World Bestiary for 2nd Edition Fantasy Roleplay, they could talk (Quote at the start and reference 2c). Although IDK if there's anything earlier and given Storm of chaos is before 2005 it might not have been made canon from before the cutoff point Zoats using?

(Responding to Vaermina)

PDV likes this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ironically that very book.

Each creature entry has two to three different viewpoints of quotes about the creature in question. "Common View", "The Scholars Eye", and for sentient creatures "Our Own Words".

20. DAT_NOOB

Wait, by "that very book" are you referring to the bestiary that I used as a reference or storm of chaos?

Given how you're talking I'd assume the Beastiary but that wouldn't make sense as an argument.

(responding to Vaermina)

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Bestiary.

Contrary to what Mr Zoat might like to claim, there isn't actually any retconning in Warhammer. What there is, is a boatload of unreliable narrators.

Senevri likes this.
  22. BrotherofaStudio

I haven't gone through everything in the Legends Timeline either but I agree that it is much better than Disney's works in general, while it did a good job in some cases it failed too badly in others. I'm sure if you were too look you would find videos or articles like wiki pages that might jog your memories like Luke's wife and son but while I am holding out hope it is still your decision.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  23. DAT_NOOB

Ok, that might work for in canon or in story reasons but that isn't literally true IRL.

Unless you genuinely believe that Warhammer exists IRL either in this 'world' or another.

(responding to Vaermina)

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Unreliable narrators is also the reason GW has given for any narrative inconsistencies.

25. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I wonder what a version of OL that landed in the DCU of the recent Harley Quinn series would be like.

26. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Star Wars Legends has way too many dumb elements and terrible writing to be of actual use as a basis of a serious story.

I would keep what was written by Timothy Zahn and stuff from the x-wing series, and trash pretty much anything else.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I suggest doing what Star Wars Fate Denied did and just cherry picking the parts that you like and that you can work with to create a version of canon that works for your story.

Vorian, Prince Charon and Xelloss like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

20th October 2012
    17:34 GMT -5

I look up at the long list of superheroes who've died recently from bullets matching the ones Miss Carlyle was firing. The police had already linked the murders, but she doesn't appear inclined to leave witnesses alive to identify her personally.

Batman looks along the line of youth team members.

"Almost all of the dead were newly active superheroes unaffiliated with any larger group. A few had partners, but there were no groups larger than two. It's the three who were members of the Alliance of the Just that interest me."

He expands their records and dismisses the others.

"Adrian Chase. Vigilante. Noted for using firearms. He had killed alleged criminals on several occasions, but the police ruled those instances justified on the grounds of defense of another. He joined the Alliance shortly after the Manhattan chapter opened, and there was a noticeable drop in his lethality."

Unlike Marvel, Earth 16 doesn't actually have hundreds of superpeople in New York. I remember that in the Justice League/Avengers crossover they noted that DC's New York was actually considerably smaller, but as far as I could see it just sort of merges into the surrounding urban area so I don't know exactly what that would look like. Neither Diana nor Alan are grade-A criminal investigators, so there's a space for a street level superhero ecosystem to develop. I haven't spent enough time there to bother finding out much about them.

"He was found dead two weeks ago from close-range gunshot wounds. Evidence at the scene suggests that his body was moved before it was found, but the police haven't been able to find out where from. They also haven't been able to track his movements in the two hours prior to his most likely time of death."

He walks along to the next image.

"Daniel William Ducannon. White Dragon."

A short way down the line I see M'gann cringe slightly at the flames in his image. New Kara spots me looking and waves, smiling broadly.

"He joined the Chicago branch of the Alliance after several confrontations with local police over his use of his flame control powers during his arrests and his apparent racism. Before he died, he had significantly improved his self-discipline to the point that even officers who'd been critical of his actions spoke of him favorably in the press."

"Lastly, Susan Linden. Black Orchid. Unlike the other two she had no record of excess violence. I haven't yet had time to go through her entire repository of case files, but they appear to be extensive. She also joined the Alliance of the Just recently, and according to their reports did so primarily to gain access to their intelligence-sharing apparatus."

"The Justice League will be pursuing the new Crimson Avenger. I want the team to focus on these three cases. Find out what made them special that she chose to deviate from her usual victim profile. Aqualad, I leave the mission planning to you."

He turns and stalks towards the zeta tubes, leaving us looking at the three holograms.

Kaldur takes a step forward, then turns to face the… Class.

"Orange Lantern, can you brief us on Crimson Avenger's abilities?"

"Recognised, Batman, Zero Two."

I nod, walking out of line until I'm in the middle of the room and then turn, connecting my ring to the hologram projectors and creating an image of Miss Carlyle.

"Miss Carlyle appeared at all times to be surrounded by a cloud of red mist. I can't tell you if that's just because she emits it all the time or because she needs to put it somewhere first in order to teleport there. She can make herself selectively intangible, not sure whether it's at-will or automatic."

"Oh El?"

"Kid Flash?"

"You've got plenty of anti-magic weapons. How come you didn't take her down?"

"My priority was getting Mister Grant to safety, and my anti-magic attacks can be a bit lethal. I didn't know quite how big her kill count was at the time. I'd probably have been able to square an amputation with myself if I did."

Canis leaves the line to walk right up to the hologram, staring into its eyes. Birth of the Author.

"Based on what we've learned, removing her desires probably wouldn't do anything. The guns are talking to her inside her head and she's obeying. With no desires of her own she'd be less able to resist than she is now. Returning to Kaldur's original question, her aim is supernaturally good. She was able to hit me with a round from a Colt nineteen eleven at a range of approximately one and a half miles, her bullet punching through my environmental shield and armour when it hit. There's no way she could have known the wind speed in the intervening space when she fired."

Canis steps back from the hologram. "It is hollow artistry."

Kaldur takes a step closer to him. "What do you mean?"

"Her shots. Her nature. A simple machine can create an image, but art requires a direction of passion. She has none, alive but possessing nothing of life."

"Do you believe that she is completely under the control of the guns?"

"No. If the spirits bound to the guns provided purpose, I would see it." He shakes his head. "I have seen more spirit from Lowlies."

"And you can tell all that for sure from a hologram?"

"The ability lies in me, not in the subject. I can tell."

Richard approaches the hologram, apparently trying to see what Canis saw. "Oh El, can you play it through?"

"Sure."

We all move a little further away and I play the whole encounter through. Richard studies it closely while Canis is far less interested, having formed his opinion already.

Richard shakes his head as it reaches the point where I left the room and the image freezes. "I want to say that she's not moving right, but I don't know if that's true. She's not moving right for a gunfighter, but the guns could be moving around on their own. Or just working the muscles they need."

Artemis shakes her head. "She doesn't think anyone can hurt her. Wonder Woman couldn't. She doesn't need to minimise her profile if no one can attack her."

Wallace looks curiously at her guns. "I didn't think it was possible to dual wield pistols accurately like that."

Raquel shakes her head. "It's not. You can spray a load of lead if you're using automatics, but the recoil means that it won't stay on target."

A few people look curiously in her direction, prompting her to shift awkwardly.

"I hung out with some bad people."

"I tried that at a range, and she's right. Nothing about how she moved suggested to me that she had super strength, and even with super strength the gun would move a bit. She's moving and changing where she's aiming… Something else is going on."

"Hm." Zatanna looks at me. "Did you know his guns were possessed?"

"Not for certain. And I really didn't know where they were."

Richard looks at me. "Where were they?"

"Pass. Though if no one was using them, that suggests that the voices are fairly quiet."

Kaldur nods. "We have three people to investigate. Batman will investigate the other aspects of the case."

"Ah… Do you think that it's worth finding out about the Alliance of the Just more generally? What they're saying to superheroes who come to them with a body count? I know some people who are involved."

Kaldur considers, then nods. "I believe that may be useful."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  29. Mr Zoat

In 5th edition, the death of a dragon's rider resulted in a role on the Monster Reaction Table, to see how the dumb animal reacted to the death of it's master/mother figure.

30. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' close-range '