1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

As said before, Orko is gonna Orko even when his magic casting ability is fixed.

So now the castle is being assaulted by illusions no one can see or interact with besides those present affected but the illusions can still interact with the physical world. That is a scary miscast.

ChestBurster, Vorian, Jaron and 6 others like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, at least they can't instantly kill you... The question is, are they real to everyone, or just for those affected by the spell? And can they affect those not under the spell's effects? Oh, boy, should really have asked Despera about the spell before you went tossing it, huh?

Who knows, maybe this will convince her to, y'know, bring a gun next time.

...He seems oddly calm for having miscast his spell. Force of habit, or hints that something screwy is going on?

Well, that answers that question. Only they can see the soldiers... But can the soldiers see other people?

And I doubt being cut into chunks helped with the process at all, either.

Oooh, nice bit of half-truth lying.

...I think we're about to find out one way or the other.

Very important question, that!

Even more important! Or are they going to end up looking foolish as they chase imaginary enemies through the capital?

Given his 2002 design, there's a lot of sleeve to roll up, so I'm not surprised he's faking it.

Well, they're focused, if nothing else. Suggests they're a little less than human.

So... They can't affect anyone not under the spell. Handy...

...Or not? And my god, is Lantern going to have a fit when he sees Dragstor use his real abilities...

Cyborgs. An amusing callback to how the 80's She-Ra series had robot soldiers, so the heroes could go all out on them. Because broadcast standards...

Would be a bit suspicious if anytime he showed up, everyone could hear Prince Adam yelling something out...

...Shit. They can affect the now. Dammit, Orko, what the hell kind of spell is this crap?

...Well, at least he has some armour now.

Messy. And a lot more lethal than the Masters usually work. Still, if the troopers are as mechanical as they appear, probably a mercy.

Okay, well, the troopers are pretty much covered...

Because you are a terrible mage even with full control of your power?

:mad: Gee, you think?

Please, tell me it's too much to hope that...

...Great. So the Crown is at risk of getting ganked by invisible illusionary invaders. That only Lantern, Teela, He-Man and the 'new girl' can see... Lantern is going to need to revive Duncan from a heart attack, isn't he, when he blows his top at them. :oops:

Rule 1, Orko: Never cast something without an easy stop condition!

You don't have any kind of area-effect, full-dispel anti-magic trick? o_O Argh...

At first, it seems like he's just pretending to be in the dark, because secret identity, but then you remember: He was sparring with Despera when the others had Orko toss his spell in. He legitimately has no idea what's happening...

While they can kill anyone they like without reprisal... Assuming they can see any people other than the ones affected by the spell. And that little bit with Orko suggests not.

...And promptly overtaking her, because super-soldier leg strength...

Oh, come on! Give him a minute to accept the blame, at least!

Well, this is turning into a fine little fustercluck. Invisible Horde soldiers running about the city on a mystery mission (presumably replaying the 'kidnap Adora' plan from fifteen years earlier) and only four people can see them. There's going to be a lot of shouting when this is all sorted out, and I foresee Lantern losing any and all Castle privileges he may have gained. After all, this is all his fault...

3. Massgamer

I think they can effect the place and people from the period of time the memory takes place. Orko wasn't there during kidnapping so he is invisible to these memory soldiers and safe from any direct attack.

However it is likely the King, queen, Masters, and anyone else who was in castle the day of the raid will be perfectly valid targets for the memory illusions while they in turn don't perceive them directly since they weren't hit by spell. Maybe they can hit them if OL highlights them like he did for Orko and their attacks will hit since they were there years ago and are real to memory illusions, but unsure.

Point is this is an insanely dangerous miscast in general.

4. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

So, invisible attackers are going into a castle, and heading right to where the nursery should be. And they selectively interact with the environment ahead of them. OL might not have really screwed up guarding Greyskull, but I think the royal family is not going to be amused.

The actual weird part is how they alter their actions and react to the present day people. So this isn't a direct re-telling of what happened all those years ago. Knowing Orko, there probably is some timey-winey shenanigans going on.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Are you suggesting that Orko is secretly evil and that this was deliberate?

I can dig that.

Maybe Paul can have one of them shoot him and use it as proof that something is there.

Or a seizure.

6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It's going to be a long time before the Sorceress is willing to take a vacation again, isn't it?

ChestBurster, Caerwen, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  7. I_S

I_S Getting sticky.

Orko doesn't use magic he just has an evil genie following him around that has tricked him into thinking he can cast spells.

8. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I know why the spell is doing what it is doing!
    It's trying to satisfy the senses of all participants in the spell which include:
    -Adora
    -Orange Lantern
    -And the Hypertech AI living inside of OL's Power Ring!!!

9. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

A correction:
    "so"

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sorceress: A few hours. I take a few hours of free time for myself and this happens.

Paul: To be fair, this wasn't technically my...

Sorceress: Shut. Up.

Paul: Yes ma'am. Sorry ma'am.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So.. illusion made real or time travel gone weirder?

12. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

I'm not saying I was expecting better of her, those were perfectly understandable given the circumstances, I'm saying that even if she didn't know better those actions weren't right and are what helps categorize her as a villain.

Also, WHAT'S GOING ON ORKO?! How did the illusion get messed up this badly?

There are some other series I'm curious whether they will have their own Orange Lantern such as the Wheel of Time, Discworld, Elder Scrolls, Game of Thrones and Dune, any chance of them showing up? We already know Avatar and Legend of Korra will appear albeit not with it's own alternate Orange Lantern

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

So, I get that Paul can't just steam roll everything in this universe because Ethernians have certain advantages that make facing them in one on one combat very difficult. Also, his goal isn't destruction at any cost, quite the opposite in fact. But let's say that Paul were to take the orbital bombardment route. Is there anyone that could stop him from leveling most of civilization across the planet if he really wanted to?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  14. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Does anyone know what episode they were talking about awakened souls, what they are and what they do?

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's the term for New God apotheosis. He used it for example when he made that girl from Death Note a New God.

Normal souls are like bonzai trees, they aren't allowed to grow.

Awakening allows the soul freedom to grow larger as they absorb energy, making one a New God.

As I remember it.

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    She's a villain because she cut down a tree? What's your house made of?
    I have no plans for any of those.

17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Cheers, I'll try and find the episode.

18. Threadmarks: Versus the Rake Men (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

21st year of the reign of King Randor I
    Season of Chill
    307th day, 18th bell

Adora darts away, jumping off the wall and then off a floating platform to swing at him, but the jetpack man just jinks out of the way,-

"Hah!"

-laughing contemptuously.

Orko watches her in bewilderment. "Is there someone up there?"

Right. Okay. The jetpack appears to only allow him short bursts of thrust, so that-.

Adora dashes at his landing spot and he responds by diving under her swing and… Landing on his chest… There's a wheel through his chest, and he can use the thruster to-. Drive along the.. gr-ground? On his chest with his arms and legs-.

I mean, I understand the principles involved, but what possible advantage-?

"Orko, it's a man with a jetpack and a wheel through his chest."

Orko nods as Adora takes a defensive stance. "Oh, Dragstor."

I try not to wince. "Dragstor?"

Orko nods. "Yeah, I heard one of the janitors complaining about how long to took them to get the wheel marks out of the floor."

Dragstor turns, rolls onto his side and then spins onto his feet, some sort of… Crossbow-looking-.

Heck with this. I create a giant orange hammer and smack him over the head, driving him to the ground! For a moment he just lays there, pinned beneath the head, his crossbow knocked from his hand by the surprise. Then he twists and punches, knocking the hammer up far enough for him to fire his booster, zooming across the floor towards the entrance to the castle.

Adora darts over to pick up the crossbow. "Where are they going?"

I nod, my environmental shield expanding around my body. I've learned the hard way that trying to tank hits from Eternians is a fool's errand, but that their dexterity isn't enhanced by anything like as much.

"The old nursery. Ring, evasive program."

"Pro-gram load-ed."

"Let's g-" She's already running into the castle, following the sounds of fighting. "-o." I fly after her, slaloming as the ring moves me through the corridors. She slows slightly as she sees me, then accelerates to a run as I pass her. "How will the troopers act in a situation like this?"

"Given how strong He-Man is, they'll split up and attack targets of opportunity to draw him away from their objective. I've got no idea what Dragstor is doing."

I attach a grabber construct to Adora and fly us up onto a landing, bypassing a ruined staircase.

"Do you know him?"

"Good roads are rare on Etheria. He mostly pilots a helicopter."

CRUNCH!

He-Man comes through the wall to our left, three horde troopers having charged him and all of them being stronger than the stone is tough. They let go as he hits the banister, letting him go flying into empty space before crashing back down. He lands on his-

"Oof."

-back with a wince. But while these mooks are a novelty to him, they're still just mooks. He grabs a nearby table and throws it, the solid wood smashing into the chest of the middle horde soldier and knocking him off his feet with enough force to splinter the table. Were he a normal human I'd say that would have killed him, but with these things who knows.

And if Orko were here I'd ask how much of what I just saw actually happened.

A pneumatic ram construct from me and a wall jump drop kick from-

"Yagh!"

-Adora sends the other two troopers down to He-Man as we speed past.

"Why are we doing this?"

"I'm sorry? Left ahead."

We take the turn together.

"Whether these phantom soldiers kill the king and queen or not, why do we care?"

I was hoping she wouldn't ask that.

"There aren't enough troopers here to take the country. Adam vanished and Sir Duncan's miles away, which means that the line of succession is still intact and a widely respected regent is available to keep things running. And if the king and queen are killed by horde troopers, the first thing he'll do is fortify the country and ramp up rearmament."

She nods, then jinks around a volley of plasma fire from a trooper crouched down at the end of the corridor. I raise my left hand and send a magnetic bottle construct over his gun, disrupting the plasma containment module and causing it to-

BOOM!

-explode, slamming the trooper against the wall!

Adora charges, knocking aside the left arm the trooper awkwardly raises to shield himself with her left sword before angling her right sword to stab downwards inside the neck ring, slicing into his neck. She leaves it there for a second, presumably to make sure that he's really dead. Then I catch up and it's time to resume the pursuit.

"So what do we tell them?"

"What's to tell? We're concerned citizens who were hit by one of Orko's spells and then responded to a situation that evolved. There won't be bodies when this is done because they're an unusually dangerous hallucination."

"I see."

She does? I thought that was pretty weak, myself, but if she's buying it then I'm not going to complain.

"…need to move."

Not far now. The balcony is that way, and I can feel the breeze where the castle doors have been left open. Which means that the royal quarters are that way. My own rooms are pretty much on the other side of the castle so I… Came here during my defence review once. Can't help but think it a little odd that Randor and Marlena never had any other children.

"…concern, Teela, but I…"

I hear the squealing of rubber against stone as Dragstor accelerates… Somewhere. Queen Marlena would obviously have been around during the original attack, so they might attack her.

Sonic scan.

Scan com-plet-ed.

Noise there, two noises there, transition and shield!

An energy crossbow bolt blasts against my construct as I take a stance in front of the queen, Teela brandishing her staff as she reacts to Dragstor's sudden appearance. Adora throws herself around the bend a moment later, her earlier imprint of Dragstor's crossbow firing and hitting him directly in the backpack! The fuel explodes, sending him careening through a nearby door which gives way with a crack!

Marlena's eyes widen as she sees the damage being inflicted by an enemy she can't see.

"Teela, I've got the queen. You-."

She charges the wheeled lunatic, staff spinning and Adora just behind her.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'things, who knows'

Remove the " at the end.

'sends'

Maybe after losing one child they didn't want to go through the pain again.

20. Massgamer

I assume that is Horde training conditioning her to take orders from those who act like they know what they are talking about.
    I mean, after one of them is kidnapped during a raid I can see that turning them off to having more children since no good parent wants to put their children at risk if they can avoid it.

21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Just means they are failing in their duty as monarchs, a Kingdom needs an heir and a spare. Especially when under siege by a hostile force.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  22. Massgamer

To be fair, they are literally the first generation of monarchy and were never intended to be such in the first place so they don't have that training or mindset.

The Elders kinda just dumped the duty on Randor pretty unexpectedly, he was a soldier first and foremost after all.

23. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

"Orko, it's a man with a jetpack and a wheel through his chest, please make him stop."

"Stop what, rolling?"

"No, being."

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, he's cocky. Probably thinks he's fighting against common folk or regular soldiers. Since that's what he would have faced back then, I suppose. At least he's not anything special, with magic or high-power attacks.

No, Orko, she's jumping about like that for exercise... :rolleyes:

Ha! I knew it, he's gobsmacked at the sheer silliness!

And I bet he never thought he'd say those words in that order.

Hey, evidently Hordak follows a similar naming theme to the Masters. You know, descriptive epithets. I'm sure the guy has an actual name, but in the field? 'Dragstor'.

Ah, his signature weapon from the toy. Probably not rigged so it can fire while attached to his back while rolling...

Finally, he remembers that he's got the ultimate combat tool on his finger!

Heh. The old 'yank me about' style of dodging OL used in the early days, eh?

Interesting Ring voice. I assume it's a nod to something. Edit: Ah, missed the link!

Great. So at best, you can hope He-Man and Teela can deal with them, and maybe alert allies to the danger.

Gotta sell those huge vehicle toys and playsets, after all! :D

Woof. Worrying to see they're not complete pushovers in numbers.

Massively reinforced bones, no doubt.

Would be interesting to see what people would think of the table shattering on apparently thin air.

No time to finish them off, though, what with the major targets still at risk.

'Despera' is still loyal to the Horde, after all. So working against her allies would no doubt seem odd.

Oh, you'll see, girl, you'll see.

'Vanished', yes... As for Duncan, he and the Sorceress are not doubt rushing back to find out what the frelling hell Lantern has managed to cause...

Heh. Totally outclassed.

Good thing they're not real. I can't imagine the janitors would be happy about that mess.

...And I suspect most people will simply go, "Oh, Orko caused it? Figures!" The Trollan does have a reputation around Eternos, I suspect.

Simple soldier's logic. You sound like you know what you mean, you're effectively in command of her, so what you say goes.

Could have been grief at losing Adora... Or maybe Marlena simply suffered a medical issue that left her unable to... It happens.

A target of opportunity. It's probably fortunate they didn't manage it then.

Dang, Lantern using the beginner-level sensors, huh? Habit from limited charge, I guess.

Huh, I actually missed that she'd grabbed his gun earlier. At least she managed to disable his special gear.

I don't she needs to be told to go kick his arse, Lantern...

What'll be interesting is what happens after he's been beat down, and the Queen can get a good look at 'Despera'...

The worrying thing is, where's the King? Hopefully He-Man finds his way there, or Adam may find himself King sooner than he'd hope for. Thankfully Orko's spell only brought one special goon here. Imagine the mayhem if someone like Mantenna or Leech were here. They may look a motley crew of oddballs and freaks, but they're more dangerous than they appear.

...his crossbow knocked from his hand by the surprise.
    She slows slightly as she sees me, then accelerates to a run as I pass her.
    ...but if she's buying it then I'm not going to complain.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  25. Massgamer

A good precaution since most warriors in Eternian at least have low-tier super strength and are capable of crazy physicals feats.

26. Mr Zoat

No, I think that's okay.
    If I do it before you post then it doesn't count.
    Thank you, corrected.
    But how is it a conscious choice? Eternia doesn't have reliable chemical or barrier contraception. The only way to avoid having more children would be to not have sex for fifteen years.
    Spare.
    There's a link in the quoted text.
    I hdan't considered that, and it's the most likely thing I can think of.
    Thank you, corrected.

27. Massgamer

Hordak made one of his subordinates explode with like no prompting just for giving him bad news, so yeah. I think it is fair to say that while silly looking they are much more dangerous than they appear.

28. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Oh, so his name was Dragstore and he was from The Masters of the Universe? I had a toy of him as a kid, but I had no idea. We didn't get the He-Man cartoon where I was, so I never saw a single episode.

That makes it a bit hard to follow what's happening when names are thrown around as if I was supposed to know who those people are.

"nearby"?

29. Mr Zoat

Dragstor. Like the straight line racing car.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Eternia's level of technological capability is...odd, so maybe they do have reliable contraceptions.

Or just use magic for it.

Or it may be possible that they just didn't have sex.

Long-lasting relationships can be formed and maintained even without sex. Even among romantic partners.

Or maybe they just didn't have much luck with having more children, but both are otherwise healthy in that department.

Or maybe he pulled ott before he finished.