1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

OK, let’s say that character knows what he’s talking about and that that’s in the same universe/continuity and that it hasn’t been retconed but it doesn’t really answer anything how does that get broken down though? Is it every war an act of worship or just Greek ones, how does that work with other War gods? How does that get split with War gods of a different pantheon? If worship is irrelevant then why do gods fade or even care about worshippers?
    You’ve not solved anything just added more questions

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

For the purposes of this story, I’m pretty sure you’re wrong about some of that. Firstly, deities like the Hellenic pantheon are created by faith manipulating the thaumosphere and maybe the Dream or whatever, and they get their power from being magical. On the other hand, angels get power from the Source, which is a totally different power source. Not sure how it works with demons, and I’m not sure how the angels and demons came into existence (I guess something similar to the other deities but with added Source).

Also, in this story, Zoat has said that although deities are formed by faith, they don’t need it to survive or even maintain their power, and they aren’t affected in any way by their worshippers (as far as I can tell they just have worshippers because they like it). In fact, deities can actually be stronger if they have fewer worshippers, since they don’t have to spend as much on giving out blessings or whatever. Zoat has said that Hades will actually get marginally weaker from taking in all of the aliens that Paul gave him, because he spends a bit of power on making their souls properly conscious.

I think Zoat’s take on how divine power doesn’t dissipate without worship is based on a Hellblazer where an American death god still has all its power despite having literally no worshippers, though I could be totally wrong.

Darko, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Didn't Zeus steal the power of his father? The Titan Cronos?

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The domains don't match up.

Cronos is a deity of agriculture, and historically was still worshipped as such after the Titanomachy.

When merged with Chronos, which has been happening since the time of the Ancient Greeks, he's a deity of time.

There's speculation that these myths merging is an inspiration for the Grim Reaper- scythes are harvest tools, and everyone's time runs out eventually.

Uranos would be the one whose domain matches, being the primordial embodying the sky, husband-brother to Gaia, father of the titans.

MasterG and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

There are literal cults in Asia that are twenty times bigger than the helenic religion current membership numbers. The religion is dead. It's at most a cult.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And that's without even the evidence of the Greek Gods that DC humans have. There's bound to be way more believers in DC.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  7. Stsword

Zoat made the Atlanteans Hellenists in this story.

Atlantis was a continent that sank beneath the waves, so in this story there could be oodles of Hellenists.

It's not like the Atlanteans didn't have 71% of the Earth to spread out in.

Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  8. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Arent's the YJ Atlanteans helenist in canon as well?

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nope, but he did make a magical pact on Cronos's corpse with Poseidon and Hades which is what keeps the Titan's dead.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Stsword

Never stated one way or another. YJ as a rule is really tightly focused.

Ocean Master used the Trident of Neptune (a Roman god), and the city states have shout outs such as Posiedonis, Tritonis, Neptunus, and Crastinus, but one can make similar claims in the comics in which Atlanteans worship their own gods.

The YJ writers added King Sha'ark, named after a Hawaiian shark god. Not very hellenist. King of an Atlantean city state likewise named after said Hawaiian shark god, also not very hellenistic. But then again Atlantis has a king with an Irish name and a brother with a Norse name

And in later seasons it was revealed that Atlantis sank about 8 thousand years before Ancient Greece began, and somehow I think the Romans and Greeks lacked a lot of amphibious missionaries.

Bud-E, Cuchulin and Chaoswind like this.
  11. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

In her singular aspect, or their more potent multiple aspect?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Angeks were created by the Presence, who may either be an extremely powerful theurge or an avatar of the Source in this story.

The demons were originally created by the First of the Fallen when he altered his environment with his nature and other beings started sprouting.

Later when humans started coming to Hell after dying, they began to spread out and change the nature of the place, and so new types of demons were born.

Yeah, in this story gods don't depend on worship for survival, but they do depend on it for being able to use their full power.

Basically the more worshippers they have, the easier they can affect the mortal world.

Like Paul mentioned, without help from worshippers, Zeus couldn't create a stronger avatar.

And if I remember correctly it was mentioned that with their worshippers a god could change their domain.

Paul speculated this.

He also thought that he may be plugged on to several other Titans.

I don't think there's anything to indicate the Olympian and the Titan need to have matching domains to be able to take their power.

Yeah, Oceanus and Poseidon are both water gods, but Hades and Erebus are a death god and a darkness god respectively.

It has never been stated in cankn, though it is true true in this story.

But they seem to just worship the Roman gods.

Xmaster3000, Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an error in the story only thread. That should say 'Captain Atom'. He's only called major in his civilian identity.

Xmaster3000 and Assblaster5000 like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th October 2012
    06:49 GMT +3

As we travel, Canis looks northward, staring at the area of verdant growth and the near-blinding glow at the centre.

"What is that?"

"Hades's wife is a goddess called Persephone. She's the daughter of Demeter and loves living greenery."

"Is she related to your plant goddess?"

"Euanthe would be her aunt. And I don't think that Euanthe is technically a goddess. It's not just a measure of power, it's about how their metaphysique is structured." I frown thoughtfully. "Unless you're telling me otherwise?"

"If a god can be new and not be a New God, I can accept that power does not make a thing a god."

"Can they?"

"Can-?" He jerks his head around, frowning. "Yes, of course they can. A New God joins to an aspect of Darkseid's divinity. Old Gods arise directly from the Dream, and their spawn gain their power from much the same place."

"So there's no link?"

"There are some… Vague similarities, but no more so than there would be with some ancient sorcerers. Do you not know her?"

"No. For plant life, I'd either go to Euanthe, Swamp Thing or Gaea herself. Do you need to speak with her?"

"I find inspiration in all places. But I have no special need to speak with her. Unless she has some relationship with Zeus we can avoid the place entirely."

"She's Zeus's daughter. But… Ah, I don't think they're on good terms."

"Is that not good for us?"

"I also don't think she's powerful or influential enough to affect matters one way or the other."

He nods. "Glory to the weak, for in having no strength of their own they shall not be tempted to act aught but the will of Darkseid."

"Yes."

I remember the typical version of the myth from Earth Prime, but Hades doesn't seem like the sort to slip a few pomegranate seed roofies in someone's drink. The Amazon version mentions the seeds, but dwells more on Hades's wickedness in not consulting with or appeasing Demeter. I still don't see how Demeter's response of 'starve the world' could be considered anything other than completely deranged, but I… Don't know if the mythological version is what actually happened. Hades admitted that he's changed a lot since the old days, but I imagine that it's a sore point with him and I haven't wanted to push it.

Before us, there's a village coming up. Or possibly a town? Order of service gets a bit confused in situations where the locals don't need to eat and a temple would be redundant. Hecate used to live in a relatively modest home tended by bound shades of those who joined her cult in life. Now… Now they're all bound to Erebos and like its other denizens they aren't 'shades' in the traditional mindless dead sense any longer.

Given Hecate's threat potential and the fact that most Atlanteans are hostile to the idea of gods, I haven't felt the need to make contact with her. I wonder-.

Is that a water park?

I watch as a woman -an Amazon by the look of her hair and skin- grins with delight as she shoots out of the end of a water slide to the laughter of those already in the plunge pool below.

Okay…

Well, I… I imagine that it's all their own work. Erebos is actually well-served with rivers, it's just that the titan's magic tends to give them unpleasant arcane effects. I… Assume that the witches have learned to filter them. Which does leave the question of what's powering the pumps. The slides are made of wood, smooth polished, with metal scaffolding. Nothing plastic or synthetic. I guess that the wood comes from Persephone's woodland, and they… Mine the metal themselves?

There are swimming pools, some for training and some for more casual swimming. Seven slides of various designs… No rubber rings-. Because no rubber. Wrong continent. A possible avenue for trade? They are wearing swimming costumes, which makes me somewhat more comfortable, styles varying between Victorian to modern. Ages range from-. Another Themyscira flashback, newly adult to mature adult with no children or old people.

"Hey!" A woman in a lifeguard chair points at us as we get closer. "Who ordered concubines?!"

Or men.

"I'm sorry, we're not concubines." She moues in pantomimed disappointment, but I see the purple glow-dust that gathers around her left hand. "Could you please point us in the direction of Lady Hecate? It's a bit urgent."

We've attracted the attention of quite a few women, though we're only being watched because we're marginally interesting rather than with any real hostility. When you're already dead, personal safety is much less of a concern. Or maybe they're dog people.

"So you're not concubines, or you've already been hired?"

"So we're not concubines-"

Canis shrugs his shoulders. "I have no objection to being a concubine, if it aids the mission."

"-and I need to speak with Lady Hecate on the subject of thaumaturgy and Olympian politics."

We reach her lifeguard chair, Brut taking a sniff at a puddle of water splashed onto the side of the pool. The woman on guard duty straightens up slightly now that's it's apparent that we're here for a serious purpose.

"Do you have an offering?"

I raise my left hand and fabricate an inflatable obstacle course, depositing it in the middle of the fun pool.

"Yes. Arcane knowledge, artefacts, and-."

"Hey Paul!" Eris waves as she heads in our direction, wearing a sarong. And nothing else. I bet she was wearing a swimming suit, saw me and then chucked it in the-.

Yes, there it is.

"Eris, good to see you. This will save me time."

"Oh?" She raises her eyebrows. "I don't get a 'Lady' Eris?"

"You're not a lady."

"Eh." She looks at Canis for a moment, then appears to dismiss him. "Are you up to something?"

"At the moment we're just gathering information."

"So 'yes'. You know, I don't think I really committed last time."

"Your help may well be quite useful. Or we might end up resolving things peacefully and-."

"Bghhahaha!" Eris hunches as she splurts with laughs, the action clearly taking her by surprise. She then reaches up with her right hand and half pat and half slaps me around the face. "'Peacef-. Have you met you?"

"Are you going to take us to Lady Hecate or should I just ignore you?"

"Oh, I'll take you. This feels like something interesting and I wanna get in at the ground level." She lowers her hand, grabbing hold of my robe in a surprisingly strong grip as she turns and pulls me towards the path. "And bring the art student and his poodle. I think this is the start of something funny."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  15. Blackshard

Blackshard ~

The thought that Paul's now familiar enough with Hades to give him a diminutive nickname is kind of amusing, but I assume that was a typo.

16. Stsword

Not quite.

"Ah… No. Our God of the Dead is male, but he's the god who rules the souls of those who have died. He's not responsible for the actual process of death."

"You have a separate God of Death and God of the Dead? Or is the God of Death merely a functionary?"

"We have a God of Death, but I've never met… Them. And I'm not completely sure that… When your gods are beings you can meet and speak to in the way I'm speaking to you, you have to take into account the fact that what your religion tells you about them might not be accurate. I'm not sure that Thanatos is.. really a separate individual from Death of the Endless, and while she can appear as pretty much anything she tends to default to female."

Hades is a god of the dead, ruler of the underworld, as per usual in Greek myth. Although there was one play that merged Hades with Thanatos. But Hades has also been merged with Dionysus, Zeus, and Ploutus, so why not?

It could be argued that their domains were therefore compatible to begin with, and they were definitely compatible when Tartarus was made a realm of the underworld.

17. Mr Zoat

That's an in-character mistake.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I so love reading Canis talk sometimes. If only he'd say things like this in public more often.

That should say 'Hades'.

These should say 'Hecate', as that's the spelling you used before.

Again, we are shown how New Gods are less afraid to show intimacy.

Again, these should say 'Hecate'. I'm excited now that Eris how shown up to help Paul out. I kinda hope that Paul can also build a positive relationship with Hecate.

19. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Canis and Eris. This is going to be glorious.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

After absorbing that piece of the Tree of Knowkedge, she may have become something like a New God since it's connected to the Source.

Not quite.

Though I guess the gods of Apokalips are connected to things that serve tyranny.

Not after he gave her to Hades without talking about it with her.

Hephaestus basically told you the story.

The "seeds" were not necessarily real pomegranate seeds, it was him making her pregnant.

This hasn't come up before.

I thought they were okay with gods.

'gods, I haven't'

'that the titan's'

Like memory loss.

Always willing to take one for the team.

She knows him so well.

She really knows him.

Hilarious.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it was said that they acknowledge them, but don't necessarily worship them. It's most likely a result of Ahri'ahn's influence.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Imagine the ads the Hellenists could run.

"Choose our afterlife, we have half-naked Amazons in waterparks!"

Also, does Canis not know about the New Gods of New Genesis or is he brainwashed to believe they serve Darkseid as well?

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He knows about them, but probably thinks that Darkseid is the beginning and end of everything, including the New Genesians, so they don't matter all that much to him.

He may just think that Darkseid made them so he could test himself or prove a point

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Greenery in the Underworld? Persephone's work, of course. With... An artificial sun to keep it alive? I can't imagine she'd be satisfied with what few plants grow naturally in this shadowy realm.

Give him a minute, the family tree of the gods is twisting and interconnected in a way that the Summers and Grey families of Marvel only wish they could manage.

I mean, you only need look at yourself to see that, OL.

Well, for Apokaliptian New Gods, anyway. I would assume the New Genesis tradition is a more direct linkage to the Source, as opposed to being fed power via Darkseid's godhead.
    Edit: Okay, Canis is probably just repeating what he's been told. :sneaky: After all, why would a God of Tyranny admit that his underling's power flows from a source other than Himself?

True, there does seem to be some repetitive patterns in naming and themes in some mythos.

So, best leave her be, then.

Eh... She's almost as closely tied to the Underworld as Hades is. Closer, if some early myths are to be believed.

:confused: ...Riiight...

Yeah, that's about the best response anyone could give...

Probably for the best. Don't want to futz up your working relationship with him. Could make for an awkward session next time you die.

I bet more than a few of her followers are taking the chance to get more study in, learning things too dangerous to have worked with in life...

:eek: ...Unexpected.

...Seriously, this is like... What even.

...Where did they get the idea, though? New arrivals, speaking of fun things in the world above?

Seriously, what is even happening? When did we stumble into the Anime 'Beach Episode' storyline?

Heh. On her guard already, eh? Is that a new record for OL?

I'm sure there are one or two more interested in giving Brut all the cuddles a good boy can handle...

...And that is exactly what I picture Canis thinking is the best option. Certainly, with his godly physique and stamina, he won't leave the ladies wanting. x3

...I wonder if it's chlorinated, or if they're using magic to purify it. Then again, it's not like they'd have issues with shed skin, hair or sweat polluting the water.

Well, that's certainly a useful gift. :D

Given everyone else is dressed, I'd say so...

I mean, what was his plan to locate her? Standing on a mountain-top yelling into the wind? Making an appearance at her temple? :p Burnt offerings of porn and weed?

And don't you forget it!

Note that he doesn't say about what. Everyone already seems to know what he's talking about... I guess the Olympians like to gossip.

Well, there's a good offering: something to make her roll of the floor laughing.

...And put some pants on, at least. :oops:

At least until she hears just what he's up to. That would be a turn-up: Something even she wants no part of.

Well, I doubt any of us expected to see that in the Underworld. I guess Hecate has more familiarity with modern culture than some of the Olympians. A pity Canis won't get to stay and entertain the ladies, though. And now I can't wait to see what Hecate's inner sanctum is like. A modern-style bookshop with coffee bar? An internet cafe and gaming lounge? Bring it on!

She looks at Canis for a moment, then appears to dismiss him.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  27. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

It occurs to me that given the hints that there is something more possibly between Diana and Alan and that Alan is one of Diana's oldest friends at a minimum he might be offended if he's not looped in here. And he might actually be more inclined to give Zeus a kick in the ass or try his best at it.

Ardy, BBJimmy, Jaron and 5 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that's just Apokaliptian propaganda and they're connected to the Source to get their powers, not Darkseid.

Unless they need to be alive for some things.

Or some of the gods got ideas from visiting the Earth.

It had to happen sooner or later.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'then'.

30. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

As someone who just reread the whole thing (gotta destress from finals somehow), I feel obligated to inform you that there are quite a few more of those that still need fixing.