1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

So I was looking back to the Fate Fight (aka Duel of Destiny aka "Hyde Park ambush" if you're boring) and after the fight, just after we saw john for the last time, Paul started to wonder what was up with John only to be interrupted. So I'm assuming that's when it started.

JamesEye and DAT_NOOB like this.
  2. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

John also said his battle of wills with Klarion was unthinkably terrible when Zatanna asked. Might have lost some of himself during said battle or changed a great deal. Patching up his mind or spirit with chaos would probably be bad.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Pretty hard. She's not really interested in that sort of thing, and would probably appreciate the fact that it would keep the SI out of her hair for a while.

4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat what does Hinon really think of Paul underneath all the fake disapproving grandmother personality? I can't imagine talking to him is her favorite thing to do but with all he's done I can't see her dreading his presence as much as she puts on.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  5. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Has anyone seen Kratos recently?

Bud-E likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

The SI doesn't know.
    Probably.

7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Putting aside the possibility of him fighting Zeus resulting in all the titans getting released anyway, there would probably be an earth left behind which IMO still puts him ahead.

Prince Charon, Lord Ernest and Ardy like this.
  8. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Can you provide a specific example? I remember some prophecies that people failed to avoid, like the Oedipus story. But I can't think of any that a person attempted to fulfill in a twisted manner, only to have the twist turn back on them.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  9. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

A good question

That explains it

She's enjoying herself way too much

Paul manages to make even his patron goddess feel awkward, not bad.

Paul is considered part of the Hellenic mythos? Was this mentioned somewhere?

Huh?

10. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Show in the 80's/90's/early 00's that did lots of cool art projects.

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  11. BrotherofaStudio

Oh, so Canis has something in mind and this was a reference.

12. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I doubt Canis saw the show in the fic(since it's in 2011/12 or something right now and the show has been off air for a while now), but it's 99% likely that it's what Mr Zoat is refrencing.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  13. BrotherofaStudio

Yeah that's what I thought.

14. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    07:38 GMT +3

"No, Canis, 'the mood took me' is not an acceptable reason to wreck a potential ally's place of business."

"I understand, but you cannot perceive the textures!" Unappreciated Artist Bemoanment.

I deposit the construct-barrow of fresh heather down on the ground, where Hecate's shop assistants are ready to receive it.

"I know that you experience sensory… Tessellation, differently to the rest of us. I'm not saying that you were wrong to create it. I'm saying that the way you went about it was wrong. I also know that you're perfectly capable of buying stuff. Hecate's a goddess; she'll understand domain-based impulses."

"That is… True."

"Then would you mind telling me why you just-?"

"Because it was there!"

"Canis, could you make art with a person's internal organs?"

He shakes his head dismissively. "I've rather exhausted the medium. Human livers are bland in colouration. Though I have wondered about incorporating rot and carrion-eaters into a design, that it could change over time and so change in the mind of the observers."

"And do you feel so overwhelmed by your desire to produce art that you're about to try to steal the organs from my body?"

Canis stares at my torso for a moment or two as I dismiss my construct.

"No? There are no insects in this place, and likely none of the proper microbes in your body. I would have to culture them. I would not be able to achieve the proper effect before the textures of your organs were changed by their death." He frowns. "Do the dead here have organs?"

A few of the witch-women below make gestures I associate with certain styles of spell casting.

"You're free to ask them, and they're free to put thousands of years of spell casting experience to use against you."

"Then perhaps a mortuary?"

"We can just synthesise-."

"The soul-feel would be wrong."

"We're getting off the point. I-." No, no, he's Apokoliptian, I'm going about this wrong. "Canis, do not do that again."

He nods, apparently untroubled by my gross violation of proper etiquette.

"As you command."

Okay, feathers smoothed here and useful intelligence gained. And I've got some idea of what I'd need to do in order to beat Zeus. One obvious place where I could get a titan no one else is using, but I…

I have some fairly significant reservations about making Richard Simpson powerful enough to fight Zeus.

And if he's getting powered by a lot of titans, it probably wouldn't be enough anyway.

Can the connection be disrupted? Not easily or quickly. Can it be redirected? No. Could a god learn to use their new power quickly? No.

"Hey!" Eris waves her raised right arm as she walks towards us, and I drop down to ground level. "You staying for the pool party?"

"No, I'm afraid not. I have leads to purs-." Hm. "While you're here, have you seen John Constantine recently?"

"No? Why, did you lose him or-?" She blinks. "You lost him?"

"He's his own man."

"How do you lose a Constantine?! Especially now."

"I'm fairly hard to find myself. And he can use magic."

"You've checked with his friends?"

"Friends and a good few of his enemies. No one's seen him. And since you haven't heard anything, I'll have to look elsewhere."

"Is this a threat? I know Constantine's beat powerful things before, but this is Zeus. He doesn't have the weaknesses of demons or the sense of duty and order that angels have."

"I'm not threatening Zeus with John and asking you to pass it on. I've lost him, and I was wondering if -since you've got other worshippers now- you could ask them to keep an eye out? I really just want to make sure that he's alright."

"Uh-huh."

"It's entirely separate from the Zeus-Diana situation. Unless I find him. Then I'd probably ask for his advice."

"Yeah. Howsabout we sort this thing out before we find John Constantine?"

"Sounds good. Any further divine insight you'd like to share with me?"

"Eygh… Make sure you've got a plan for what happens afterwards?"

"What does Zeus actually do? He doesn't run the world's weather, he doesn't adjudicate disputes and he doesn't guide mortal rulers."

"Him just being there stops some… Things. Fights with other pantheons. Stuff like that could spill into the material universe."

"And I do actually like some Olympians. So if he does get overthrown, someone as powerful needs to be ready to step up. And… Even then, certain parties might try and test things. Right." I nod. "I'll get back in touch when we make some actual progress. Canis, you can find your way back up to the surface on your own?"

"Of course!"

I nod, then transition over to the gates to Tartarus where Donna is waiting. She looks a little out of sorts.

"Get anything?"

"Cronus was pleased to see me."

"He gave you the Darth Vader spe-"

"Hah!"

"-ech, didn't he?"

"Yeah. Yeah, he did. And he didn't ask about Deva, which gives me an idea how paternal he was really feeling."

"Vader didn't ask about Leia, either.""Oh."

"What is it?"

"I've just realised that Vader never knew that Leia was his daughter." Donna frowns at me. "It's a big deal in the story-." She's not convinced. Move on. "Ah, according to Hecate, Zeus draws power from the titans in Tartarus in the same way that Hades gets power from Erebos, which is why he's never going to release them. And why he's as powerful as he is."

"Oh."

"Hecate and Eris are willing to help, but I don't have a silver bullet quite yet. Let's go and see if Kon and Mitchell have done any better."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

At least now we have some extra eyes out on the look out for the Laughing Magician. Also, gotta love the wariness Eris has about John Constantine getting anywhere near an Olympian.

Zeus is at least smart enough to not tell the mortals about the fact that he's mainlining multiple Titans. Is is possible for Donna to eventually do this, since I'm assuming Diana would pass if given the opportunity?

Edit: As Darko pointed out later, I forgot to add not to the sentence about Zeus.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  16. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

He is using his godly powers to bitch about his art not being appreciated lol

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ohh, get over yourself, you big psychotic baby.

What do you think?

Of course you have.

Why did you ask him something like this?

Ahh, yeah, Canus likes being ordered around.

Yeah, you don't want a demon getting that much power.

Plus I don't think that Tech God is a Titan.

I think it was just a powerful god.

You finally remembered.

Yep.

Which is code for 'yep'.

Good question.

But Zeus does have a lot of flaws John could exploit.

The guy ate his own kids.

I'd say that explains perfectly how parental he is.

He didn't do that.

Hecate did.

Sojiko, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was a typo. It was supposed to say that Zeus didn't tell anyone because even he's not that foolish.

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Considering John's whole stick as the Laughing Magician is to be able to kill things like gods if humanity needs it finding him might be a priority.

Though at this point it really feels like John uses synchronicity magic to keep Paul away: everytime Paul looks for him, somethimg pops up to distract him

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Or it could be a coincidence. Even if he is doing that, Paul getting Eris and her followers to help should circumvent that.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  21. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Selectively edited for your amusement. (orange ellipses mine)
    Clearly the right answer is to teach Canis the art of politics, and have him mainline several titans himself.

Caerwen, Ardy, Handlewithcare and 3 others like this.
  22. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

UuugGGGgggHHHhhh You just don't underSTAND, man! :V

Ahhh, it's fine, that's just how things were back in the good ol' godly days. No indoor plumbing, magic still around, eat a few babies, computers aren't around yet, you know how it is.

And of course he ate his own kids, where else would he get babies to eat, huh? There weren't any other godly kids around. What's he supposed to do, *not* eat divine infants? Pfffffft. :V

mastermenthe, Citizen, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And you never know, it might inspire her to try other visual arrangements? Imagine a scene of the Titanomachy, or Typhon laying Zeus low. Or any number of amusing scenes from myth. Imagine the visitors she'd get. :p

Though I imagine some of hers can be quite a bit more expansive than Canis'.

Ever had an itch you just need to scratch? Something that irks you until you do something about it?

I'm sure he spent his youth doing that. Like a child's finger painting compared to his skills now.

I half expected his environmental shield to flare a little to make a point.

I suspect the ladies might object if you checked. At least, not without a nice dinner first.

To quote Nick Fury in Avengers: "Ant, meet boot." Though i suspect the fight would be impressive to watch from a safe distance.

I bet that would be like using cheap poster paint instead of proper oil paints.

That's better. Blunt, simple authority. That, he understands.

And hopefully he'll stick to that. Though I doubt he'll have that sort of opportunity again.

As well you should. That's the kind of schmuck-bait plan Constantine might employ. Though he'd probably work in a kill-switch, knowing him.

Well, Hekate seems to have shot down quite a few of his possible plans.

Oooh, she might have some idea where he is, if only out of professional wariness.

It's not so much 'lost' as he 'asked for some time to adjust'. OL's just being silly bull-headed about it. :rolleyes:

...I would not be surprised if he somehow used his Lord of Chaos abilities to do his own scry-ward tattoos on himself.

And that alone should be deeply concerning. John Constantine is not one for staying quiet or keeping his head down for this long...

Reasonable. But Constantine being 'in parts unknown' is a threat all of its own.

Which would likely come down to 'get a bigger stick than he has and whack him with it' when you strip away any pretensions...

You could be a superhero, you know, with that kind of clear-thinking know-whats: Captain Obvious! :D

Besides 'party harder than an entire fraternity of college boys' or 'stick his 'little thunderbolt' in anything that takes his fancy'?

Even amongst his own pantheon, there's probably a few who would likely pull swords on each other if not for him keeping the peace. Remember the extended meta-plot from the New 52 Wonder woman comics, where Zeus went missing and the Gods of Olympus effective had an almost-civil war going on?

I mean, visiting Tartarus does do that to people who aren't inhumanly brave, or otherwise unusual...

I'm sure he was...

Ah, the benefits of actually sharing a pool of pop culture references.

In other words, he saw Donna as more useful to him.

I mean, he didn't even know he had a second child until Luke's little slip on the second Death Star.

Yeah, not the best place to discuss the Skywalker family dramas. Though I have to wonder why Zeus never put some kind of magical taboo on the idea of revealing his dirty little secret. I mean, Metis would have been able to warn him someone might poke into it someday... Unless she actually is sabotaging him from within...

I can't see Helios being inclined to mess with his cushy set-up, no matter how his number one worshipper is affected...

Yet more data for the planning board. Though there's the increasing likelihood that sooner or later, even Zeus will notice this little information-gathering party. Whether his mountain-sized ego would feel the need to do anything about it, remains to be seen... On the other hand, he might be amused by OL's apparent hubris. It depends on his mood that day. :p

24. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Did we ever find out what happened to Poseidon? Or is he still missing? Because with the whole connection to the Gods the Titans / Primordials have I'm a bit concerned that Oceanus re-absorbed him or something before he got knocked out of the material universe.

Prince Charon likes this.
  25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

hmm, did Jupiter inherit this connection to all the dead titans when he split off from Zeus?

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I note he didn't mention the whole death and destruction thing that would happen if Zeus was actually removed from the picture...

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I kind of hope that Paul gets to the end of this whole scenario, and realizes that he just isn't able to deal with Zeus on any reasonable time frame for an acceptable result. So then he just settles for negotiation from a position of weakness. And after that, immediately turns around and doubles down on the accumulation of highly skilled and acceptably moral magical allies, to quickly reach the point where he will never end up in such a position again. Even if that point is decades off. Or maybe Constantine will crawl out of the woodwork, and everything will be resolved.

Sojiko, Cuchulin, Istaran and 3 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Oceanus beat him but he's still alive.

Maybe.

According to Vulcan, Jupiter at least knows some things about Titans, so it's possible.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Silveraith like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Surprised he didn't have those before.

Maybe they interfered with the ones he already had.

She's probably more powerful and is walking around free, so she could help him.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

OL:I may or may not have left the mantles of a lord of chaos and a lord of order in his possession.

ERIS: Fuck Zeus. We're fixing this NOW.