1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

When she learned about it from her aunt in the Renegade timeline, she was stunned and almost couldn't believe it. Then she remembered her mother's lessons about knowing when to sheathe your weapons, and realized why Hippolyta was so adamant that Diana learn it.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

There is also the issue that trying to depower OL to avoid a confrontation with Zeus, is that Zeus isn't that great a guy. At all. Who doesn't do much great stuff, and in fact does a lot of crappy stuff.

If you are deciding to take one of the guys down, and are gunning for OL (who is reacting to the thing) instead of Zeus (who is doing the thing that needed reacting to)...well that's just Vaermina levels of dumb, even leaving aside how it removes an ally from the field at best, and could add an enemy to the field if you fail.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm glad this joke is recurring!

With all the unusual plant life in Brazil are drugs easier or harder to make? Also do the Accala/Euthane not care about crime in their country are they not the ones enforcing the laws?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Harsh, but fair.

They probably do care but if these people aren't selling it n their country then they may not give a shit about what it does to foreigners..

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Did He? do you remember what the chapter was called I'll have to look into how he got it back.

Personally, I thought it just killed him.

Bud-E likes this.
  6. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

How is “making their one living parent abandon them, by mind enslaving said one parent, and the league ignoring the now orphan in the room for a year” a minor slight?

7. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Is there any chance at all that Zeus isn't just doing this to be a dick?

RamiroGalletti likes this.
  8. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

There's a chance but considering his history and the fact that every Olympian says it's the reason I doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  9. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Here's the relevant bit

10. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who? And what did they do?

ChestBurster, Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if the Muse Paul rescued from that horrid fate will ever offer to bless the writers for his video game company. Assuming she doesn’t try to become something else entirely, in hopes of ridding herself of her divine inspiration ability.

I thought of her when considering associates Paul might reach out to. A more fitting way for her to return to the story would be to set up something like Melinoe’s nightmare service. The Muse’s clients would be “angry scientists” who, at the urging of Paul or their associates, want happier or more gentle innovations. Not a weapon. Something positive which still excites them and challenges them.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Chaoswind like this.
  12. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

His soul was rended into pieces and the bits and pieces that melded into the clone his student made weren't enough to get all back, he had to hunt down the rest of him to get enlightening back.

I think most of his soul went to the Honden of Avarice hence why the parts left drifting in space were not enough to get the clone back in shape.

Paul got spooked because he was working under the assumption his soul would go to Hades and the Greek after life, but since he died in space he was out of service range and thus the only after life for him was in the Honden.

This is what I mean by saying killing him is easier, but requires a Pokeball to actually stop him from coming back. This already happened when he got killed by the Host of Heaven, but he managed to escape the Pokeball the angels used because his soul was extremely atypical.

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Huh, Grayven would just stuck Zeus on Source Wall? Maybe chain him with certain chains?

14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

stick

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Normally, yes.

But this is a Zoat story where Paragon is almost never wrong about his assumptions.

16. Temp0101

Temp0101 Not too sore, are you?

I really like how this arc is showing the bad side of a sane orange light aligned lantern. While Green Lanterns are stubborn, OL wants what he wants and you better get on his want train or get pushed aside. It kinda screwed up that everyone is tip toeing around him like a battered wife, for good reason but messed up.

17. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I love that the end of the update was basically

Plastic Man: *nervous question*
    Orange Lantern: "Yes."
    Plastic Man: *nervous question*
    Orange Lantern: "Yes."
    Plastic Man: *nervous suggestion*
    Orange Lantern: "Thank you."
    Plastic Man: *nervous suggestion*
    Orange Lantern: "Thank you."

18. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

She would make a far better candidate but seeing as it's Zeus who is not anything close to the Disney version it's really not a competition.

What would she be the goddess of? And while relieved that Zeus will no longer be able to cause her trouble, I'm sure that Diana will be less than pleased with having to rule the island though Aquaman could give her pointers.

Here we go again.

That's an improvement.

Yes, I'm sure the League got the message last time. No that is not sarcasm.

Communication is very important.

That... I never noticed that. O'Brien's reactions are very funny. And I find quite the pity that you are not planning to make an alternate Paul for Star Wars, but there are some youtube videos that cover a lot of Legends materials that could help jog your memory or at least give you an idea if your willing to try.

That is a hilarious yet accurate statement of how "reassuring" Paul can be when he's on the warpath.

It doesn't take an oracle to see that those problems will be disappearing very soon

Paul is being hilariously efficient about this

19. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Possibly, but everyone he has talked to, including Diana who head the order first hand, and Hades who knows the man, assumes the reason is dickishness. If it was just to have an outside eye double check the bindings, having OL come along to assist Diana in the job wouldn't be a problem. Two eyes looking over everything would have made it less likely something would be missed, as well as felicitating travel between the areas she needs to pay more attention to past the stuff she doesn't.

Also, I assume if it was serious, there would have been more preparation before sending her in.
    "This is how you navigate effectively in the land of supernatural sightlessness," or "here is a magical Dragonball Z Scouter to see in the darkness and find magical leakage," and so on she didn't seem to get.

20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

The third tribe of Quendi, from the Silmarillion. They stole a Silmaril, and invited the second and third kinslayings.

21. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh. Tolkien. Never read anything more than the Hobbit.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

To be fair, i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people, even fantasy buffs, have not read the Silmarillion, let alone in it's entirety, because as far as I recall hearing, it was designed to be as uninteresting and hard to read as possible.

ChestBurster and Istaran like this.
  23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

It wasn't designed to be that, it was just unfinished and written as legends rather than as a story. Christopher Tolkien didn't want to write it to be a story.

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

There is also the possibility that after proposing to Diana he got visions of the titans escaping due to Paul's actions and therefore sent Diana to check the bindings without the Paul who he might think is planning/going to be responsible for releasing the titans.

ChestBurster, kerleth and Vorian like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

An aspect of war most likely.

She did gave that hand thing.

And even if it was serious, Zeus may just be crappy at preparation.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

We all know that Preparation is Batman's divine domain.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th October 2012
    04:57 GMT

"Recognized, Batman, zero two."

Batman appears in the zeta tube, pausing a moment for his identity to be confirmed before striding into the room.

"Batman."

"Orange Lantern. Good work with the Venom plant."

I shrug, though I'm moderately pleased that his costume is better warded than previous versions. It's not impossible that he delayed in order to swap to a heavily warded version just for this meeting. Empathic vision is out, and I suspect that any attempt to attach filaments to him directly would fail. I'm not going to try to scan for crumbler-based weapons, but I hope I'd find some.

I doubt that he's actually pleased, but since it was a perfect attack and saying something nice about it will put me in a more receptive frame of mind, it makes sense for him to say that.

"Thank you. I'm happy to take on any part of the League's workload if it means getting Wonder Woman back faster."

"Do you have a plan?"

"Nothing definite-" His stance changes slightly. Did he just relax? "-yet. I've learned things, and there's a route I could go down, but I'm… I'm not sure that it would work."

"From what Robin told me, there are avenues you haven't considered."

"Probably. But Zeus's action with Diana is a symptom of a problem: Zeus in a position of power and authority. Finding him a new wife doesn't help with that, and almost certainly won't stop him being the arrogant libidinist that he's always been."

I pause.

"I am glad that you're working on this, though. I am aware that I favour extremely aggressive responses in situations like this."

"I'm glad. Have you heard from Athena yet?"

"No, not yet. I realise that she's probably making strong representations herself… Or she will be if Zeus keeps it up. But I haven't had any contact with her and this isn't-. I'm not in a good mindset for dealing with new people."

"She's Diana's patron and Goddess of Strategy."

"If I wanted to negotiate with her before this, I'd have gone to Diana first. As it-."

Atlanteans aren't big on religious observances. Hecate… Probably doesn't know about the Dream research I've been having done in Venturia. Or if she knows that it's happening… It's cutting edge research. They might well have learned things that they didn’t know last time I got an update. Or they might not have learned anything.

"As it is, you'd be a far better person to speak with her. Your mindset is more aligned with what she wants from her worshippers."

"Considering it from all angles, rather than just working out how to defeat Zeus with violence."

"Yes, that. It's a limitation of my mindset. Zeus has acted against one of mine."

"You are aware of the possible consequences of removing-."

"I've already promised Diana that I will not attack Zeus."

"And since you did that, you've been making plans to have someone else do it for you."

"A bit surprised that she didn't spot that one. So if you could put together a list of things I can deal with for the League, I can get that done and people with better diplomatic skills than me can start bargaining to get Diana freed."

"That shouldn't take too long. Keep me apprised of any developments."

I nod, then-.

"One last thing. I'd like King Orin's permission to study the artefact locking Oceanus away from the material world. It's relevant."

"I will speak with him."

I nod, then

step out, reappearing

in the Mount Etna foundry. Early morning here, but while the Amazons are asleep the forges never cool.

"…miss you being around, but it's a good offer."

"If I can live there. I'm not exactly eager to get stuck in a weak avatar body."

"They wouldn't leave you like that. You wouldn't be able to work for them."

A short flight takes me to the draft room, where Hephaestus and Vulcan are having a brew. They both look around, Hephaestus nodding politely while Vulcan is more appraising.

"My Lords."

"Ah." Hephaestus nods, glancing at Vulcan. "He wants something."

"I always want things."

Vulcan shakes his head. "No. You want something special."

"How do either of you feel about the idea of dethroning Zeus?"

They both keep looking at me for several seconds.

Then they turn to each other, Hephaestus holding out his right hand. "Have fun on Thanagar."

Vulcan clasps the offered hand. "Have fun in Erebos. Or Tartarus."

"It's been a while since I visited my mother."

"It's the last place Zeus will look, that's for certain."

"Alright Statler and Waldorf. I'm just investigating opportunities."

"An opportunity-" Hephaestus levers himself out of his chair, posing so that I can see his leg brace. "-to get my other leg busted?"

"An opportunity to build a divine cybernetic. An opportunity to build a god-killing weapon. An opportunity for me to help enhance you in the way I enhanced Euanthe, who now rules a sizable portion of South America."

"What has the King of Olympus done to so enrage you?"

"Sent Diana on a fool's errand. To Tartarus. For refusing to marry him."

"Oh." Hephaestus thinks for a moment. "I'm pretty sure he'll realise that he's being a fool before too long. He must know that giving Diana an order like that will alienate everyone."

"Unless he digs his heels in for that very reason. But you're missing an opportunity here. Whether you end up helping me overthrow him or not, your leg would be fixed."

Vulcan snorts. "Not offering to fix my face?"

"What was that about Thanagar?"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, so I guess they're talking about Vulcan's trip to Thanagar.

Or you arm.

That would really hurt you, seeing as you wouldn't be do to do what you like.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

What are the odds that Paul's going to have to rescue Vulcan from Thanagar in the future?

30. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Hephaestus is Best Girl confirmed. :V