1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Wow they are late.

They literally needed SIGrayven taunting Orion months ago. And that was months ago.

ChestBurster, Doccer and Vorian like this.
  2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That is a little unclear. Artemis notes the fusión result was mostly wearing Renegades armor and equipment, he just looked a lot more like OG Grayven than the Renegade and clearly he thought he was OGGrayven. Who absorbed who and whose body got possessed and rewritten is a tad unclear. Who won the metaphysical struggle after the fusion happened was clearly OG Grayven, but Artemis fixed that shit quite quickly.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

This might be a little late to ask but how is Ophidian pronounced?

mastermenthe and TopHatWearer like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Remove the apostrophe.

However you want to pronounce it, of course.

Many people in this thread pronounce it "best-snek". Not sure how it's only two syllables, but what can you do?

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

uh·fi·dee·uhn

It's an actual word you know.

Ophidian-
    1. a reptile of the group Ophidia; a snake.
      1. relating to or denoting snakes.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I don't buy it.

If the Corpse wanted Grayven dead his planet would have been bisected by a dozen singularity projectors before he even realized an attack was occurring.

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Corpse is the GLC's black ops division. They would never go for a frontal assault. However, manipulating a group who already dislikes their target into attacking would probably be more up their alley.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Corpse is who the GLC send in when they deem something or someone too dangerous to exist so authorize any and all collateral damage to destroy them.

And you're right. They don't do frontal assaults. They would deliver a ring proof bomb that instantly destroys the planet and everything on it. Or snipe the planet from orbit with some instant death effect powered by all 500% of their disc charge.

Yet what we saw here was a frontal assault... Ergo it can't be the Corpse.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

10. Threadmarks: Coup Data (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th October 2012
    19:06 GMT

Twenty percent.

The durlan's doing something inside me, and it feels like a combination of stomach ache and a chesty cough. But it's not radion, and my armour is fortifying my entire body, not just my outer surface. I think it's realising that it's on to a loser there, but my shield-bubble prevents it escaping fast enough to evade me.

In the distance I see an orange glow surround the damaged space elevator as the Lanterns on duty move to prevent a catastrophe. Good lads.

"Gunna cut 'n gut yah!"

Ah, his vocal cords have regrown. Two Lanterns-.

"Not blades, ladies. Don't pierce the skin. Blunt and burning weapons only."

They go to work with a mace and a maser. Nice to see that they're making use of those adult education seminars.

"Koriand'r, do you have any use for a velorpian Construct-Lantern?"

She shakes her head vehemently. "I will not use my ring to enslave another being."

"Fair enough. I'm stuck here until I've finished with this-"

Thirty percent.

"-durlan, but as far as I can tell I'm being targetted for elimination by both the New Gods of New Genesis-"

I smile as a magnet construct tears away Vykin's ferrofluid and the other Lanterns start clamping chain constructs on his extremities.

"-and… These people."

I scan the velorpian in detail, trying to-. Oh, that's interesting. There's some sort of… Thing embedded in his chest. Reads a little like a power ring, only… Not. It's purple? That doesn't correspond to-.

"You with the mace? There's an object in his stomach. Please remove it while spilling as little fluid as possible."

The tamaranean woman nods her hair. "Yes, Lord-" A strike to the back to the neck cracks the velorpian's spine and paralyses him for at least a few seconds. "-Grayven."

She generates an auto-chirurgeon construct, all whirring drills and flensing blades, and presses it to his abdomen. At least it's quiet.

"Princess." The leader of the squad handling Vykin floats closer, the chain running from his bracer to the construct collar around Vykin's neck pulling the New God closer. "What should we do with our prisoners?"

She considers for a moment. "Are these your people, Grayven?"

"Same species, different culture. I've met Vykin before, but the rest are new."

Lightray laughs as he rapidly evades the squad sent after him, completely missing the destroyers descending through the atmosphere with their flak turrets pointing downwards. The Lanterns back off and raise barriers as the ships fire and Lightray falls burning from the sky.

Hm.

Forty percent.

In the air and on the ground around the Central Power Battery building I see the same scene repeated: two factions being pinned down by Orange Lanterns.

"Vykin, did my brother put you up to this?"

"We do not need orders from Orion to know that evil must be opposed."

I look down at his waist. Yes, there it is. "Koriand'r, could you please take that device on his hip and pass it to me?"

She spots the Mother Box, blinks, glances down at my own Mother Box, then sends out a grapple construct to pull it from his harness.

Ping.

"Well, then you should have thought of that before coming here." I-.

Bluergh! GuH!

Ugh.

I think that's all of the durlan finally out of me. It appears to be trying to bring itself back together into a corporeal whole just in front of me. Maybe it wants to communicate? I certainly feel better for having it out of me.

I dismiss the bubble shield and grab Vykin's Mother Box, attaching it to my belt. Now, how to-?

"Lord Grayven!" The Lantern working away at the velorpian pulls her construct free, a small black disk in her construct forceps. "I have it!"

"Oh, that is interesting. Pass it here?"

She throws it to me and I catch it in my right hand. "Sinestro, is this what I think it is?"

"I can't feel any particular emotional resonance."

"It seems that I've done something to earn the ire of the Green Lantern Corpse, the Guardians' team of black operations assassins. Which makes you-"

The durlan in front of me is shifting back into their blank humanoid mode, and clutching his head as he tries and fails to fight my influence.

Fifty percent.

"-Von Daggle."

He glows purple for an instant, but my orange swiftly overpowers it.

"Let's see how this goes. Vykin's Mother Box, connect me to Highfather Izaya the Inheritor."

Ping?

"Yes, really."

Ping.

There's a moment of delay, then a large translucent image of his head appears in the air above us.

"Grayven of Apokolips."

"Highfather. Do these people belong to you?"

The floating head looks around, and I think I see him sigh. "They are of New Genesis."

"Did you send them after me?"

"I did not. But they are my people, and I will bear the burden of their actions. What do you want in exchange for their lives?"

"You can owe me."

"I.. see. And what surety do you want?"

"None. You can take them back in a few minutes. You seem like the trustworthy sort." I turn my head away from the apparition and smile at Vykin, who looks crushed at his failure. "What a nice man. You hear that? You'll be heading home shortly. Now."

Sixty percent.

Von Daggle collapses in the air.

"Ring, contact the Guardians."

"By your command."

The delay is longer, but after a moment the head of a Guardian appears over my ring.

"Apokoliptian. What do you want?"

"You just tried to murder me. I have what's left of your 'Corpse' as my prisoners, and I was wondering-."

"No such organisation exists. Do not contact us like this again."

The head vanishes, and I shrug at Von Daggle.

"Bad news for you, chum. But I guess they wouldn't be deniable operations if they weren't deniable. Finish the assimilation."

"By your command."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  11. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

And this is why the Guardians suck.

12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Can't blame them too much for not acknowledging black ops. Now, having the black ops in the first place, however...

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, after all that she suffered, enslaving others will not be something she does.

Maybe change it 'sixty' since you already had fifty percent.

14. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Yeah that was kinda stupid. If they negotiated his release they could at least keep him quiet and keep their secrets. Now that he’s been assimilated Grayven will now every mission Daggle has ever been on and all that entails. It’s very short sighted.

15. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

So Renegade is getting a Durlan Lantern construct and a lobo lantern construct. Lol. He's going up in the offensive options again.

16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

As I understand it, joining the Corpse is voluntary, and comes with forewarning they will disavow your actions. It's on Daggle's head.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

No, can't really blame them either. Grayven himself has plenty of hidden operations with the Light etc.

And it seems New Genesis hasn't twigged to the fact OtherGrayven was/is a thing?

Ardy, ChestBurster, anirocks and 13 others like this.
  18. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

True but in this case they lose LESS by negotiating a release. They don't have to acknowledge Von Daggle as a Corpse member just have help placed under their jurisdiction and probably grant a favor to Grayven for playing along. Now they have lost a key Corpse agent AND all the info he had on other corpse members and missions. That could be very bad.

19. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Unless they wiped his memory after every mission or something. Is that something they'd do?

I don't know anything about this Green Lantern Black Ops thing, but if they are unconcerned with his capture, then he must not know anything important.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So Zoat decided to make the Corpse lanterns utter incompetents and nerf the Corpse Discs, which are supposed to be five times stronger then a Power Ring, to nothing...

Fun...

fappingtoyourpost likes this.
  21. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Didn't Larfreeze assimilate a Guardian? That knew he was coming? Grayven with and Orange and a Yellow ring is above their weight class.

Bud-E, ChestBurster, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

They really erred here, didn't they? Someone didn't think to locate weaknesses before they made the play. It is impressive that he's resisting Assimilation so well. Even if the Renegade is going easy, it's normally done in a few moments. That's significant.

:rolleyes: Honestly, if you hadn't opened your big mouth, Faux-Bo, that might almost have worked...

...Pity the Renegade is not without backup. Unlike you.

...Do you really want to stick her with his chuunibyo wanna-be tomfoolery?

A not unreasonable belief, given her history. Though her sister is likely not so restrained.

Who seem to have made a very foolish move. Perhaps not with the blessing of Highfather.

Now, see, kid, if you'd thought to have more than one trick under your codpiece...

Oh-ho. Fans of Green lantern will recognise that detail.

...I half-get the feeling she'd be just as skilled a Yellow Lantern with that kind of theatricality.

As much as he'd like to deny it...

There's always a bigger fish. Or in this case, a bigger gun.

Yes, it is taking quite a while there... Rather noteworthy.

I doubt Orion would have been so subtle. Nor leave the work to any lesser warrior. Not for a Prince of Apokalips.

So, it's just youthful stupidity. Still, I don't envy them...

"Oh, dear... I swear, this was not my idea."

Better out than in, at least.

Yoink! I bet those two will be having an interesting discussion in private any moment.

A disposable, bio-degradable Power Ring-like device. Perfect for places where the Ring might get you noticed. Also tuned so that the colour of the Light is deepened way down. Like, 1% luminosity. o_O Because the Emotional Spectrum can work that way...

It'd be a pretty poor covert tool if its' Spectrum energies could be detected, after all.

And that's why Assimilation is taking so long. he has no shortage of Will to resist it. But that reserve will run dry eventually.

What better species for a covert assassin than a Durlan Lantern?

Since the Renegade's Mother Box doesn't have his number...

No need to translate that response. I wonder if a Box can swear?

At least the Mother Box has style. Let's hope he wasn't in the shower or something. :p

I suppose having the Original Grayven's body makes him feel all too blatantly evil...

Yeah, they are not going to enjoy what happens when they return home.

Ooof, a Boon. That's a meaty penalty. Especially an open-ended one.

I foresee spankings in the child's future. Or perhaps some discipline at Orion's hands.

Now, for the other half of this little coalition of foolishness...

Going straight to the top, eh?

No love lost there. Probably still a little sting over their defeat way back when.

Well, how rude. Sucks to be the Lanterns, though.

Last chance to offer him something to stop the process, assassin. Not that your bargaining position is very good.

Well, it was the Corpse after all. Kudos to he who called it, Someguy Somewhere. Though I foresee something concealed in their abandonment. I certainly can't believe the Guardians wouldn't know about Assimilation, either from encounters with Larfleeze or from the Sector 2814 Lantern's reports. A kill-switch, or a hidden sniper executing them, perhaps... Too bad for New Genesis, though, having to give Renegade a big concession in that unspecified favour.

"Oh, that is interesting. Pass it here?"
    I have what's left of your 'Corpse' as my prisoners, and I was wondering-."

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's literally named as something they do as a standard in the comics.

It's all but stated in the comics that Larfleeze can't turn Guardians into constructs.

[​IMG]

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No she is not.

I think she even has a Citadelian assimilated.

Though that could be her Paragon version.

We're talking about a universal emotional force that has embodiments that are shaped like animals and the love embodiment is shaped almost like a xenomorph.

Logic doesn't apply here.

26. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Quite literally in this case.

Doccer likes this.
  27. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I mean, the purpose of Black Ops personnel is to conduct operations that one cannot be seen attached to. Though granted, it makes more sense to rotate them out regularly so as to prevent a catastrophic loss/compromise of information and institutional knowledge when a team is captured or killed.

ChestBurster, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The funny thing in all this?

The Guardians are probably being honest. Because if they really wanted to get rid of Grayven all they would have to do is publish the laundry list of his crimes to every planet in the Galaxy and issue a GLC wide arrest warrant for him.

Cuchulin and fappingtoyourpost like this.
  29. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Even with "need to know" opsec in place, extracting every last memory from someone with assimilation will still let him infer a great deal. I expect some sort of hidden suicide device to be employed at the start of the next bit.

30. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I suspect the Guardians don't like getting called out like that.

Bud-E, ChestBurster, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.