1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe all three.

'I know that'

'leaves'

'aside, middle'

'attacks'

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'Branch'.

3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I doubt the fellows here are related to the Lords of Order and Chaos who empowered the twin brothers. I doubt any Lantern faction is attempting something here. This doesn’t seem like (a reincarnated) Dr Sivana’s style. The Reach haven’t indicated they possess this kind of magic.

My first optimistic guess is someone from another universe. My second is that Brainiac the First is doing something clever through indirect action (disposable mooks).

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

My guess is that these new arrivals are New Gods.

Maybe someone from New Genesis discovered what renegade was doing and chose to stop whatever they thought he was planning.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's interesting how much two little strips of hair play in facial expressions, isn't it? Much harder to process what the forehead and brow is doing without that simple indicator... Which is going to be interesting if Humanity ever encounters aliens who lack that sort of thing.

Ah, it's good to see him again. The only human, in the Renegade timeline at least, to have gained Rage Enlightenment, without even laying hands on a Power Ring.

That'd practically be blasphemy, wouldn't it? Qward definitely lacks in the cooler emotional colours

Hate, Want, Fear? Those are easy for Qwardians... They've never lacked for the hotter emotions.

Man... I wonder how his Paragon universe equivalent is getting along these days. Probably a little happier after the Angel's Day, I bet.

Heh. Making a point, are we? I wonder if she'll be able to understand it?

That's practically be grounds for execution, I would not be surprised.

That'd be seen as a defect. She'd have never made it into her teens if she had.

Honestly, If Kalmin was anything like her, I'm amazed he worked out how to forge Hope into a Lantern.

Ah, good, she did take the hint.

Promises, promises. That's probably the Weaponer equivalent of flirting... :p

So, he might enjoy a sidetrip to kill some arseholes on the way home...

Just make sure they don't forget to maintain their environment. It'd be poor form to save their world, only to ruin it via pollution.

Ah, they still haven't caught on, eh? Let's hope you can cow them into subservience when they do.

Ah, if only you hadn't taken the 'New God' skill path, instead of the 'Light Shaman'...

And because of his temperament, he won't accept partners or rulers. He's merely kow-towing to Darkseid in order to nobble him later.

Ah, the one thing worse than demon-worshippers, eh? :p

And all the new guys have no idea about the little tricks the old guys used to keep things running smoothly.

And I suspect some of the people going for it are the last ones you'd want anywhere near power in the first place?

Heh. Not quite a new Golden Age of Britain, but slowly getting there?

...Before he feels the need to actually use his ring on someone during Question Time?

An advisory position, perhaps?

Well, that's not good... Darkseid poking the Renegade, or is New Genesis trying something foolish?

Ah, for once he doesn't have to keep his eye on an ally during the fight...

'White Pyjamas'? Could be Solis a.k.a Lightray, perhaps?

Hmm... Maybe an attack, maybe a 'courtesy' visit?

This, I can't place. Sadly, I couldn't find any New Genesisian with plant-control powers...

So, likely that the New Gods are choosing to pay 'Grayven' a visit. o_O But why now? Why here? A misguided attempt to overthrow him, bring down his empire? Or a foolish attempt at diplomacy? The number of portals suggests an attack, but the first one through should have gone for an alpha strike, then. Yet he didn't. I suppose we'll see soon enough what's going on...

6. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

I think you mean "(Tamaran Branch)"

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's dead.

Died during the Sheeda invasion, though he may have been happy after the Angels destroyed the Caligula Club.

Unfortunately they only focused on the demon worshipping members, so the ones that didn't do that are still alive.

You read my mind.

Either Zoat made them up or he found dome obscure character.

My first thought was that they were trying to bring him down, but now that you mentioned diplomacy, maybe this is some weird New God version of it and attacking him serves as some kind if show if their skills so that he would take them seriously.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat mentioned that he was killed by the Sheeda in the Paragon timeline.

9. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Oh everyone is saying they think a new god is attack grayven but do we have any idea which one?

10. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

You've previously highlighted actions by different-coloured Lanterns with alternate words, e.g. when Stewart and Scott were working together; since Talbot doesn't have an orange ring I'm guessing this is Grayven using yellow and Talbot using red, so maybe try something like:
    "both" or "both generate", the latter if Talbot's reaction time is slightly slower?

11. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

OK wut?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. DAT_NOOB

PM of ReneBritain is talking with a weaponer and just about managing not to K.O.S her for being a bit too much like the former rulers of the UK who got purged, then someone attacked Tamaran

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well given the Boom Tubes, plus the attacker apparently having energy powers and wearing white, it's most likely Lightray, like Chojin said.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Maybe it's White Ring Paul going from universe to universe destroying all his corrupted counterparts.

15. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

That would be the Hell thing. You know, the terrible place with the rather low entry threshold for admittance, and the punishments (not really about punishment at all, since I suspect some who just barely qualified is in for the same treatment and someone moderately nasty) torments and torture designed to turn you into a monstrous demon or stucco brick or whatever.

Oblivion is one of the ok mediums between suffering, and joy.
    Spiritual death is better than 'spiritual fate worse than spiritual death'

16. DAT_NOOB

That would be very out of character for Paul, he usually gives people a chance to explain themselves first.

EDIT: Even with Zeus I imagine he's going to let him speak First and the preparations are just in case.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I think these are correct as they are.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No. Geoffrey doesn't show red text due to his enlightenment, in much the same way that the SI doesn't show orange.
    I'm not planning to include a Keeper of Secrets in this story.

ChestBurster, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 6 others like this.
  18. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Last time Grayven made contact with Orion he asked/taunted him so he would appear in the way of the original Grayven to delay his incoming assault.

I guess Orion and his pals are coming to beat the crap out of Grayven without knowing they are a couple months late and that the Grayven they are going to beat up isn't the evil one anymore.

19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is Geoffrey Talbot an original character I can't find him in the DC wiki?

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's not an original character, but he is from Hellblazer, so it's possible he just doesn't have a page of his own.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  21. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Oh.
    New Gods.
    Yay.

ChestBurster, Xmaster3000 and Bud-E like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

He's a police detective during the second arc of Hellblazer, the one with the satanic masons.

23. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

i think you meant to say "closest aperture"

24. Mr Zoat

Indeed I did.

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Or it's a plant meta given New God apotheosis.

We know that Apokalips has the technology, there's no reason to think that no New Genesis ever decided to join the party.

This doesn't have to be this world's New Genesis, after all, the New Gods can slide between worlds.

Maybe Isis is a New God somewhere in this story. Or maybe one of the saner Poison Ivies.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Wow, considering they have the fastest way to travel in the universe; what took them so freaking long?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe they were preparing themselves or when they saw the two different Grayvens fighting they became confused and decided not to attack until now.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That would be out of character for Light contaminated Paul's, but we've never actually met one that was running on all seven cylinders like normal people do. And I don't know about you, but if I found out my alternate selves were going around doing stuff that LePaul and Renagade were I would certainly attack first, permanently de-power second, and then and only then let them talk.

As to Zeus, this preparation isn't something that can be reversed if he goes up to Zeus and Zeus is all "Oh, man, didn't mean it like that, sorry bro." while a powered up Hephaestus is sitting in the wings ready to attack. Mind you, that won't happen because LePaul is almost certain to go to Zeus in the most antagonist manner possible thus poking his pride and putting any idea of making amends off the table.

Cuchulin, Bud-E and Noctus like this.
  29. Noctus

Noctus I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah this exactly. I really hope we get a reasonable reaction out of Diana and the others, as in not a reaction that just accepts what Paul's doing.

We have a really nice opportunity for some character growth for Paul and I hope that Zoat doesn't waste it. His reaction to Zeus being petty is pretty crazy so I hope they have a proper intervention or something after Zeus gets removed from his position as king of Olympus.

This arc I'm definitely supporting Heph way more than Paul. Getting a scene with Heph divorcing Aphrodite and kicking Ares' ass would be so satisfying.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  30. Threadmarks: Coup Data (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    19:03 GMT

I raise a shield screen, reinforcing it with a duplicate of Raquel's kinetic barrier. The… Mass stops, the leading spines striking and-.

Lantern, it's-.

Shoggothing, yes.

Strands are passing through my barrier as the thing twists to expand around, its movement limited only slightly by the kinetic energy absorption effect.

Shoggoths aren't real. Lovecraft based his description-.

There's a flash of purple and my construct is gone, the durlan -because I do know what durlans are, Sinestro- turns to vapour that I suspect will be quite good at penetrating environmental shields.

In the background, I see one of the space elevators is enveloped in flames.

"Infernal-!"

I pull back, generating a powerful magnetic flux in the area in front of me. Durlans don't exactly have weaknesses, but they have vulnerabilities depending on what form they're occupying. Disturbing as the forms they manifest can be, they're ultimately expressions of their control of their physical form rather than anything magical.

My construct causes electricity to dance and the air to energise, the durlan turning into something a little more solid to tough it out. Which means that when Geoffrey's blood plasma hits it, it's forced to soak the hit.

Lysis, durlan, qwa-matter.

And that stuff burns anything, but-.

"Geoff, back up. It-."

Whu-?

I'm yanked off the ground, dragged into the air and sent spinning by-. Ow! Fucking Lightray shot me again, and the knobbler in blue and yellow next to him is doing something to make me float.

Pre-civil war durlan.

Thank you Sinestro.

"What do you want?!" Imperious Overlord Exigency!

"What do you think, Gray-face!?" Lightray has a very punchable face himself. "We're here to stop you taking over this planet!" "I'm the good guy!"

Better late than never. "No."

A wave of orange passes through my armour, disrupting… Ah..? The Knobbler's grip and I form a fusion cannon on my left arm as I draw my daiklave with my right hand.

"You come here." Lightray fires his electric wanking hands at me again and I block his shot. "To my place of power." I raise my left arm and he frantically evades, the surprised Bananaman watching him go. "And expect to best me?"

I feel him lose his grip on me as a glowing plasma shield appears in front of him. Bend To My Will!

"Hard luck."

Fire.

The beam howls through the intervening space, dissipates his shield and burns his armour!

"Waaagh!"

He reels in the sky, cloth flaking off his burns. Those are hardly crippling wounds, and a New God of any power would regrow that skin but someone blew up my space elevator and I don't feel like-

Watch your-.

-dealing-.

A stream of ferrofluid roars into me, battering my shield before retreating to orbit around-.

"Vykin. Leave Uncle Drax's magic robot at home today?" Dismissal of Trivialities.

He's standing on a small platform of the stuff as it undulates and ripples around him. Looks like his armour has been upgraded since our first meeting.

"Do not mock me, monster! I have seen the worlds your insane followers wiped clean of life, the-."

"Are you implying that you consider life to be dirty? Unclean?"

Ferrofluid claws leap at me, twisting around my hastily interposed constructs in an attempt to stab me-.

Before swiftly being pulled back as my laser constructs start taking shots at him. Sure, we both have bare faces, but I have construct armour and he's got a stupid 'unique' weapon. In fact-.

Alert.

Lobo-. No, wait, just a velorpian; the psions' partially successful attempt to resurrect the czarians in a slightly more controllable form. They look similar, but the velorpians aren't anything like as bizarre. I honestly thought that the psions killed them off when they terminated the project, but here one is at least.

Purple light leaps from his mouth, which isn't something that they're usually able to do. I evade, but the shot follows me. It's-. Is that a power ring effect? That colour's off but-. You Will Not Defy Me!

I slash the stream of energy with my daiklave, batting it off towards Lightray for a moment before the velorpian decides to save his shot. He closes, drawing two cleavers from the harness on his back.

"You know what they're payin' me for your head, bastlick?!"

"Not enough to get your lines-" A construct grapple grabs him from behind, slowing his flight and causing him to misjudge his swing. "-right, Faux'bo."

"Fag you!"

I fire, hitting him in the head at point blank range and blasting the skin off his face. Got his eyes too, but those will grow back pretty quickly. Must remember not to let him bleed anywhere.

Or… Quail The Vanquished.

The tip of my daiklave punches into his neck, piercing his windpipe and spine without hitting his carotid artery. The smaller blood vessels don't dare-

I cough.

-bleed in my presence. Wait, I don't cough. I'm a New God wearing an environmental shield. Something… Wants me dead. Looks like I'm the durlan's main target, though its efforts are impeded by the fact that I don’t work like a normal living creature.

But did they brief it in orange ring abilities? Master Of My Own Domain.

Assimilate!

Durlan presence detected. Identity theft in progress.

There's a shimmer in the air, though I don't know if it's trying to get away or to bring in more of its mass. Just in case, I create a larger shield all around us to prevent it escaping. I don't know exactly how it's getting around my shield but hopefully this will disrupt its efforts a little.

Ten percent.

"Grayven!" Koriand'r swoops in, leading a small squad of tamaranean Orange Lanterns who swiftly assail the other New Gods. "What is happening?"

I puke, orange light and organic durlan forcefully evacuated from my interior.

"Someehgh. Someone decided to be stupid. Let's round them up and ask them some polite questions."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    boo600, Phili, explbean and 150 others like this.