1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Thinking about it, who knows what deal's or treaties Zeus has made over the eons.

Many of which Hephaestus might not know about, if Zeus kept things close to the vest and the only thing the rest of the Olympian's know is that occasionally Zeus would put in place a new "nonsensical" rule that he would punish them harshly for violating.

Would be a great way to screw over anyone who might overthrow him now that I think about it...

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Had a sudden thought: Paul manages to track down Constantine for help with Captain Marvel's problem. Immediately after having that thought, decided that it was a terrible idea. Like, the way Constantine's jobs usually go, he'll succeed, but only at some kind of horrible cost.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

28th October 2012
    17:37 GMT +3

I watch as Io oversees a small team of Amazons clearing out Baroness Paula von Gunther's workshop. About time really, but I'm a little puzzled as to why they're doing it now. And-.

What's that?

I'm looking at… A large humanoid. Looks a little like Hephaestaean's armour, only the faceplate is a solid piece-. No, the whole helmet is a solid piece without any eye slit. Instead, the eyes are jewels with tiny runes inscribed on their interiors, most likely using tiny flaws in the structure of the crystal. The range of movement seems good… Organic, even. Not like the clumsy tripods that Hephaestus and Vulcan used.

Frowning slightly, I drop down next to Io.

"Io. What's going on?"

"With Lord Hephaestaean's ascension, it seemed appropriate to build him a proper temple. Paula's workshop is in a good location, and it fits his theme."

"Not afraid of tripping over the mysteries of her cult?"

"Why would I be? It's my cult too, now."

I-.

"Yes, I know that I'm barely educated in the artifice of Man's World-."

I frown. "Io. This workshop was built for a woman, remember? Who studied-."

"It's just what we call it."

"Well stop. It sounds ridiculous. You know that Hephaestaean intends to start proselytising, right?"

"Yes." She nods, smiling as she considers it. "Under his command the gods will become involved in the lives of worshippers all across the world. It will be like the old days come again."

"And you're up for the High Priestess position?"

She shrugs. "Maybe. He told me that he would help me learn sciences and technology beyond smithing. What he is now is so different from what he was, I… I wouldn't be able to do it. After thousands of years of just refining what we know…"

I reach over and pat her on the right shoulder with my left hand.

"I know. I've been trying to change that since I got here, so I know how big a deal it is."

"I've been thinking about having a daughter. Children deal with change-."

"Cough cough."

"I know that you could give me a daughter, but it has been some time since I have been in a long term relationship-."

"Not why I was coughing." She shrugs and shakes her head, not understanding. "You said 'daughter'. Through Hephaestaean, you have access to advanced reproductive technologies. When I help two women have a child the child is always a girl, but in your position-."

"A son." She frowns uncertainly, eyes dipping to the ground. "Uh."

"Yeeeeeees?"

She looks up again, her face relaxing as if some part of the world suddenly makes sense in a way it didn't before. "I understand, now. Why you chose Eris to emulate, rather than Hephaestus. He builds on what came before, but you… It's like when we tore down this city so we could rebuild it with a sewer."

"I do like sewers." The ambulatory suit of armour comes out carrying a workbench. "Where did the golem come from?"

Its head rotates about a hundred and twenty degrees so that it can look at me. It regards me for a moment and then sets the workbench down and turns its body to match the direction its face is facing before marching in my direction.

"Orange Lantern."

"One of many. Sorry, I couldn't see a desire network, so I assumed…"

"This body is warded. I am a zontanonaut."

"He found a way to bind a shade to a robotic body? You can leave the underworld like this?"

"Yes, though having been a demigod in life may have made that easier. My name is Erichthonius. With my father's rise in power-"

My ring fills me in on the mythological version of his history. Ah, well, he sounds like an alright guy, though… I don't see the Hephaestus I know doing most of that.

"-he took the opportunity to reach out to me in the underworld."

I scan… What I can of his carapace. "It's an impressive piece of work."

"I know. I tried to keep up to date with the artifice of the living world, but speaking to the shades of the most recently dead… It was beyond me. Until now."

"It makes more sense when you can see it yourself?"

"My father included a device to feed information directly to my mind in this artificial body. My divine heritage causes me to instinctively understand how to apply technology in a useful way. Themyscira will be my first test since I popularised the use of the horse collar."

I smile. "You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that."

"I believe that I do. I've seen your files."

I nod. "I wish you all the best in your mission, then. You haven't seen Gaea recently, have you? Or a cyclopes?"

"Despite what certain chroniclers claimed, I was birthed by Athena in the conventional way and have no special knowledge of Gaea's whereabouts."

He sounds more than a little put out by my asking.

"Sorry, I meant no offence to either of your parents. I just want to talk to her."

"I suggest the forest. Now if you will excuse me, I should get back to work."

He turns away in a motion which doesn't require an owl's neck and marches back inside the workshop. I wince inwardly.

"Is that a sore point with him?"

"That his father was accused of raping his mother, and he was supposedly born from his seed spilling on the ground after dripping off her thigh? Yes, it's a sore point. Why are you looking for the cyclopes?"

"It turns out that Zeus was doing exactly one thing useful with his life: lending a portion of his power to a mortal hero. With Zeus out of the picture, that hero is weakened. Since the cyclopes made his lightning I'm hoping they can bypass the fault."

"Could he just find another sponsor?"

"Probably, but I'd want to vet them so we don't get another Zeus, and they need to have a really particular ability set. I mean, Jupiter put it about just as much as Zeus, right?"

"I know little about the Gods of Rome."

I nod. "Okay. Back to work for both of us."

I transition up to the inner city, where-. Where I'm treated to a view of a royal family hug as Diana is embraced by her mother and sons. Surprisingly, it's Menalippe who makes eye contact with me and angrily gestures to the palace. Okay, let's go and see what she wants.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn, Heph is a cool dad. In charge for five minutes and already springing his kid from detention, I mean afterlife, and giving him a cool car, I mean body.

Though how exactly does this cross wth Athena being a virgin goddess?

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

For reference, it was said that Heph tried to rape Athena but some of his seven spilled on her thigh.

When she wiped it off it landed on the ground and Erichthonius emerged.

So much being done can be overwhelming.

Plus the shades may not have know much about tech themselves.

'in a useful'

6. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

While it's a nice metaphor that makes quite a bot of sense, I'm not seeing how that would have forced her to spend three to six months per year in the Underworld.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe because the gods decided on that to make sure that Demeter doesn't starve everyone.

8. Mr Zoat

It doesn't. She's not. Ancient Greek writers were misogynists.
    Thank you, corrected.

9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Tried looking that up. Google came up blank.
    I thought that was by choice. Are you saying you can't make male an option?

10. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

It's a made up word.

Zotanos is Greek for "Life". Naut is "Sailor".

Its essentially an astronaut but instead of space, it's the living world.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's a workshop, OL. What better place for a proper temple to a god of technology? I trust there's no potentially nasty surprises to be found, though I have no doubt the baroness cleaned anything like that up long before she passed...

...And why am I picturing a Kastelan-class Imperial Automata? Clearly Hephaestaean's hand was involved in its making?

Of course it would. Hopefully far enough from town that any mishaps in the learning process won't blow doors in, and are easily cleaned up...

...A reminder: Baroness Paula von Gunther was a Nazi. True, a reformed one, but...

Oh, you'll learn. As Hephaestus' chief disciple at the forge, well...

And yes, that's true. However, Mysteries just sounds cooler.

Hopefully not too much. I rather suspect the Gods won't be able to get into anywhere near half the trouble they did back then.

Sometimes, though, a change is a good thing.

But now it's kind of in your face, isn't it? Bet some folks aren't happy about hearing about the whole overthrowing the King of Olympus. Oh, not for love of Zeus, no. Just out of a 'bah, why do we have to change anything. It's fine the way it is, isn't it?' traditionalism...

No, OL, that is not an invitation to volunteer. :p Besides, she and Ted Kord would make a cuter couple.

Well, given some of the more ludicrous super-science things around... Even if Hephaestaean can't work with such artisanal stuff as easily as the common sciences, there's still possibilities.

Think about it: the first male child born on Themyscira in three thousand years? I'm sure OL would happily contribute a dose of Danner Formula as a baby-shower gift. :p

Better than some cities. Chicago, for instance, lifted the entire town a few feet. Because why bother tearing down the Downtown district for the sake of cleaner streets, huh? :p

...Ah. It's not a simple Golem. Points for not limiting your joint mobility to the human standard.

From 'zo̱ntanós' - Living. Which apparently means he's a traveller of the Living world. So...

Ah. One of the children Vaermina mentioned in a post above. Also a former King of Athens.

Evidently some writer was interested in maintaining his vision of Athena as a virgin. Maybe she was his Waifu?

Thanks to a metaphysical boost from the old man, huh?

Man, Hephaestaean's already handing out cyberware like candy. At this rate, his corner of the Pantheon will look like a cyberpunk LARP. :V

So, can we expect to see Themyscira become the technologically advanced paradise of some continuities before long?

...No wonder she encouraged Phaeste to do it. No bitterness there, eh?

And when either parent could send an avatar down to slap you one for that insult, the apology is entirely serious.

Lending a hand with some of the more awkward heavy lifting, or identifying devices, I wonder? Or both?

Still not the weirdest birth amongst the Olympian myths. Early Aphrodite, for example?

That's up to the Wizard, really. It's up to him whether to stay on theme or not. No coincidence that all of the entities involved were roughly contemporaneous in the eastern Mediterranean regions...

Sadly, Gods of weather or storm are rarely easy to reach or work with.

Well, good to see some happiness for the person all this was in aid of.

Time for a well-deserved dressing down from his chosen cultural leaders. :p I wonder how loud the yelling is going to get? And then he'll have to face the music with Batman... Probably an audience with old Jeb, who'll have some choice words on Captain Marvel's behalf... Better get the popcorn or Malteasers ready for the show, folks, this is going to be entertaining.

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'built'.

Paul knows that the Amazons prefer daughters, so he made sure all the kids would be girls. If Io were to have a child through another method, there's a chance she'll have a boy.

13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Virgin in the ancient Greek context is synonymous with "maiden" rather than meaning a lack of sexual experience. Athena being a virgin goddess means she looks young.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat mentioned that she isn't into men.

Probably not for a while.

He probably came from that region so he'd be more familiar with the local gods.

15. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

hahahaha

soul putting on space suit to walk around in the normal world

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, it's the lack of a 'Y' chromosome.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know...

It's getting kind of annoying how Zoat is editing out every bad thing the Greek God's ever did except for the things done by Zeus...

18. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I knew you wouldn't stick with the out of character (for both of them) failed rape story, but I didn't expect that you'd decide that Athena is not a virgin anymore. She was one of the few potentially asexuals available.

I guess if she wanted to try it out once with no complications and with no one finding out then Phaestos was a decent choice.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Pretty sure he kept the bad stuff that Ares did, which is why Heph and the Amazons dislike him.

kerleth likes this.
  20. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

I think he kept Apollo's and it's been left ambiguous whether Hades raped Persephone. Paragon values his relationship with the House of Hades more than opening centuries-old wounds. And we know that Paragon is perfectly fine with accepting that a horrible thing can happen so long as it's not his immediate/mid-term problem. That Heph probably raped a few mortals in his time is quietly ignored because he wasn't as bad as Zeus and he is far more useful.

21. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

I’m more curious about how he qualifies as a ‘demi-‘god when both his parents were gods in full.

Then why are the three goddess specifically described as ‘virgins’ the only ones that never had children or (arguably) any romantic/sexual relationships whatsoever?

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He never achieved apotheosis, so he remained a mortal. As a mortal, demigod was his limit.

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She may still be an asexual.

Asexual means that the individual lacks much, or any, sexual attraction to people, but it does not mean that they don't have relationships or even sexual encounters.

Asexuals can form romantic bonds with people and may engage in sexual activity with those people; it's just that sex doesn't really appeal to them.

That thing with Hades is incredibly questionable at best.

It's still kinda weird that the child of two gods would be a demigod.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat explained that.

Hades thought that Persephone was a willing knowing participant in their betrothment.

She wasn't, Zeus just told Hades he had the go ahead.

Persephone was therefore too afraid to say no, and when she realized Hades wasn't the type to punish her for saying no, has said no ever since.

So Hades committed rape, but not on purpose.

So whatever possibility for happiness they might have had as a couple was strangled in the crib by Zeus's shenanigans.

25. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

Why was he EVER a mortal when BOTH his parents were GODS? Is the question I am asking.

ChestBurster, Caerwen, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  26. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I'm really hoping it goes the route of having a seperate room/house. I feel like Persephone should realize how good of a deal she got compared to everyone else and do a "stay together for the kids" kind of sham thing. Maybe even have her move up to Themyscira (since it's right at the gates to Hades' realm.).

Only way I really am interested in it going the full on divorce route, is if Persephone ends up with Heph (but I would NEED to see at least a couple chapters of that love story).

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think she'll be satisfied with that, plus their children are all adults, so it may not affect them too negatively.

I highly doubt that that's going to happen.

Prince Charon and Ajlove like this.
  28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Now that Hera's dating I kinda want to see more of it is she a thousand years out of practice or does her domain keep her abreast of modern courtship?

29. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

True, I just don't want more of the same. If this turns into another standard divorce, it just feels kind of tacked on.

Maybe she get's Hades to travel the world with her for her alloted time with Demeter? And seeing the post above mine, Maybe with Hera encouraging Peersephone to give the relationship a real chance. Since Hades was one of the good ones. So they have an actual dating period?

Ajlove, FourthPear and Bud-E like this.
  30. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.