1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

This story is currently in 2012 which predates the me too movement a bit.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe Zeus will be the one that plays a part in starting it.

I can see him doing something so horrible that the movement starts.

It would probably be one of the few good things he's done.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Bud-E and 3 others like this.
  3. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Don't tell me he's gonna replace Zeus with Zagreus for Shazam

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Wouldn't work. He's not powerful enough and doesn't have the right themes.

5. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

After getting rid of the dead weight and replacing Zeus with Quetzalcoatl, Captain Marvel becomes Shaq! You're damn right

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Funny, though I think the feathered serpent would be better for wisdom.

7. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

I just caught up with a year's worth of chapters in a few days, and I find myself mildly disappointed that there isn't more. As a side note, the TFP chapters were surprising to see and very enjoyable.

8. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Unless he becomes a multimillionaire or a movie producer in the next 5 years.... That's a bit of a stretch even for him.

The person in question going to make so many super babies though unless he bothers with birth control.

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Zeus is definitely one of those guys who thinks real men don't use condoms.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I'd rather he be Shalam L for Lucoa!!

11. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

For anyone who was wondering what Paul is probably making reference to. I sort of vaguely recognized it from reading about British government before, but if I hadn't it's a Britishism that I'd've missed completely, and did still need to look up.

12. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Eh. HStan should definitely do something about that.
    Or maybe not because we're somehow forgetting the pill being a thing.

Hmm... college Zeus might actually enjoy this experience.

Unless this of course somehow gets us Disney Hercules! Zeus. Disney Zeus is best Zeus.

Bud-E likes this.
  13. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

28th October 2012
    17:28 GMT +3

"…psychiatrists to experience their patients' condition. Fewer avail themselves of the opportunity than choose to experience nightmares, and I doubt that either will ever be truly popular."

Hephaestaean nods at Melinoë's description. 'Nightmares and Madness' is never going to be a super-popular domain, but there are things she could be doing with it that she isn't. Actually allowing cursing, for a start. I wasn't keen due to the fact that magic regulation is a sensitive enough topic already and I wanted her to at least be able to connect with some people, even if they were weirdoes like Dr. Crane.

Hephaestaean makes eye contact with me for a moment while his other limbs leaf through Melinoë's written records. They have cameras, so… It looks like he's capable of multithreading his thought processes now. Sorting huge quantities of data will be child's play. We weren't sure he'd get 'data'…

"Unless you allowed it to be weaponised, which Paul advised you not to do."

The National Rifle Association is already suing to get a ruling saying that magic ammunition is covered by the 2nd Amendment, and given the changes that the Sheeda caused they'll probably get it. Regular small arms ammunition was not reliable against Sheeda armour, even if the shooter could hit them. The original lawsuit was trying to get offensive spells covered as well, but it was clear fairly early on that that wasn't going to work. Though…

A gun is a gun. A weapon. Something like a knife is a tool. Just about every kitchen on the planet has at least one sharp knife, and most will have more. Yes, you can stab someone with one, but there are plenty of other daily uses. Same with saws, nails, hammers…

When someone learns magic, even if they don't learn any purely offensive spells, they've learned something that effectively lets them smith a gun in a minute or two with no equipment. Not a great gun, but it'll still kill people. Electricians could probably rig up a taser if they had access to a toolkit and some wire, but they don't learn how to throw lightning.

Legislatures around the world are interesting places right now.

"Do you intend to command me otherwise?"

"Not at the present time. You are active in your domain; I do not intend to second guess you. My main query for you regards your work with your father. Nothing about your domain relates to justice or judgement."

"Father needed more judges and my brother and I were available."

"Would you object to those responsibilities being passed to other people?"

"No. But it would take a considerable amount of time to train someone in the forms of Father's court."

"I think it is worth retasking Dike and Eunomia. It is unlikely that mortal judges will turn to us for guidance within the foreseeable future, and Erebos has a substantial backlog now."

"My lord, have you considered promoting the older shades? Those with long exposure of Lord Hades' court would make up in experience what they lack in divine magic."

He nods. "That may be wise, but it remains Hades's decision. This is his domain, and I will not intrude on the details of his rulership." He returns his full attention to Melinoë. "You may take your leave; I will return your notes to you once I have copied them."

Melinoë nods and turns away, not looking at me as she heads back towards her court.

"Paul." He waits until Melinoë closes the door to his borrowed office. With so many deities gathered here to make this happen, I imagine that he decided to stay put until he'd been able to meet them in his new official capacity. Or perhaps so that he can deal with Tartarus's inmates. "How goes it?"

"Slight problem. Captain Marvel can't transform. Zeus was one of his sponsors-."

He nods. "And with Zeus rendered mortal, that power is no longer available. Has it affected anyone else?"

"The two friends with whom he shares his power. I'm… Not aware of Zeus personally sponsoring anyone else. I don't suppose that you're able to sort him out, are you?"

"Not without breaking my word to Zeus and granting someone else his station. What steps have you taken?"

"I asked another person with similar abilities to see if they could transform him. They can't. I asked Zeus, and he.. didn't have any helpful suggestions."

"He asked you to suck his penis, didn't he?"

"And now Marvel is going to talk to the man who Zeus delegated the job to."

Hephaestaean grimaces. "Because of course Zeus couldn't pay attention to a mortal champion himself. In ages past such things were a major source of interest amongst the Olympians." He shakes his head. "Now many barely pay attention to their own domains, indulging themselves rather than doing their duty."

I remember a forge on a hillside of-.

"I know that expression." I see a red light behind his left eyeball. I guess that's some sort of analytical system. "Even though I only had a handful of worshippers, I answered the prayers of the Amazons and I went to smithing trade shows. I even wrote a few articles in trade magazines. I didn't try to convert people, because who cares about some old smith from a Greek island hardly anyone has heard of? I could have done more, but I was still doing my duty."

"One other problem. I take it that you're happy with Hades's work?"

Hephaestaean nods. "I intend to make this 'safe harbour for the souls' a major part of our bidding for the souls of mankind."

"What's your plan for when Persephone asks for a divorce?"

"… Oh."

"You divorced yourself from Aphrodite, but you could do that on the grounds of infidelity. Same with Hera and Zeus. But you didn't state that as the reason. So it looks like you've just taken the authority to divorce people for yourself. Persephone has never been happy in her marriage, but she's been faithful and so has Hades. Unless I've missed something-."

"The only grounds for divorce would be her habitual abandonment of her husband, and that would require him to ask for one. Which he will not do."

"But does the King of Olympus need a cause?"

"He should. I came to the throne by power, but I took that power because I believe that my cause is just. If I rule by power alone then I'm no better than Cronus."

I shrug. "I agree, but my opinion matters little. Persephone doesn't know me, and while Hades likes me he doesn't like me enough to forget the love of his life and mother of his children."

"Do you have any advice?"

"Establish a constitution defining your powers and responsibilities and stick to it. But that's for the future. Right now…" I shrug again. "Not… Really. I don't think there's a good answer. Any advice on the Captain Marvel issue?"

"Zeus derived his ease at conjuring lightning from the arcane smithing of the cyclopes. They dislike the company of gods, though you may be better able to barter with them than we could. I have no idea where they live in the modern era, though if you intend to seek them out I suggest asking Gaea."

I nod. "Will do. Anything I can do to help you?"

"Seek out Olympians across the world and inform them of what has happened. Win them over, if you can." Two arms blur, molecule-printing… A book, into the space on his borrowed desk. "Here's a list of the names I know of and descriptions of their habits. Some you know, some you do not."

The print finishes in seconds, and I drop the resulting tome into subspace.

"Will do. Good luck with your new duties."

"I may well need it."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  14. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

The original Cyclopes? Children of Gaia and Ouranos?

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say "them than we could".

I am hoping we'll get to see how some gods react to meeting Paul for the first time, especially if they're aware of his part in Zeus being overthrown.

16. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

???

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Makes sense, since technically Hades is head of his own Underworld pantheon that is just allied to Olympian one.
    Do they have to adjust the whole 'be buried with a gold coin to pay the boatkeeper Charon to carry them' thing? I imagine Charon might want the help but he still wants to get paid.

On another note, oh boy I look forward to reaction of Greek afterlife advertising itself to world.

18. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

It's nice to see Hephestean being a king taking charge and modernizing his pantheon!

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, most may just use it to curse their enemies.

Though there are weirdos like Crane who enjoy fear, and people do take weird drugs that cause nightmares, so maybe Melinoe can work with that.

Or maybe she can potentially protect people from nightmares.

Her domain could potentially be used for punishment, so there's that.

He knows him so well.

Though it was probably less "epic saga" and more like a gambling game.

Good thing, but the first people that may decide to use it may not be so good.

When Thana told Paul that she was planning on converting people to Hellenism to stop them from going to Hell, Paul told her that most may do it so that they can avoid punishment.

At least eternal punishment.

You could potentially just create something like no fault divorce.

20. Mihari

Mihari Know what you're doing yet?

I believe you want to write tome here since there isn't a dead person, just a tree maybe, could be animal vellum tho

21. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Tome, I would hope.

22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Lots of people enjoy scary movies and then there is the saying about 'facing your fears'. Also, people who write and make horror fiction might very well use her as a muse.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm seeing people putting her symbols or statues of her in movie theaters and praying to her for a little magic when a horror movie starts.

Good point.

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

At least is not centaurs.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

On the other hand, if she could break Crane of his little habit of testing his formulae on himself, or on other people without permission, he may well be able to make breakthroughs in his studies of fear. Wonder what Batman would think of that rehabilitation?

Good to see him taking advantage of his new domains.

Americans, huh? :rolleyes: Still, worth hashing this out now, rather than when some loony wizard-wannabe forges literal magic bullets of animal transformation, or something silly...

There's a reason most RPGs (such as D&D and its derivatives) put hard restrictions on what spellcasters can do compared to martial classes. It only takes a short time for the latter to become irrelevant in combat scenarios, much less outside of them.

I don't even want to imagine the shouting matches. Especially in countries with particularly strict religious practices and opinions about 'magic'.

Ah, OL. Making more work for everyone. Still, I suppose they enjoy actually doing things, rather than sitting around looking moody.

Since even the original once-mortal judges are snowed under with work, I guess.

Hardly who you need to take it up with. But perhaps Phaeste will pass that on to Hades.

At least he knows the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Hades has things well in hand, no need to go sticking his nose in.

I suspect Hecate would be quite vocal in her reminders about freeing, or at least paroling, the remaining Titans.

If he can't, then the Wizard will have to make other arrangements. Let's hope he's amenable to revising his alias.

Putting it a lot more politely than he did.

:rolleyes: Ah, that Zeus is that predictable.

Hey, now. Hephaestus is one of the few good ones, remember?

And that's the kind of attitude you want in your deities.

In other words, he'll see that all honest worshippers of the Olympians will be bound for Erebos? I bet the events of recent years have seen people reconsidering their choices.

...Oh, yeah. Ditching Aprhodite would set an awkward precedent, wouldn't it?

And to be fair, that 'habitual abandonment' is spending time with her mother Demeter to ensure she doesn't bring on an eternal winter.

...Or Zeus. So... Lay down rules. Set down restrictions on what the Gods can do, both relating to their domains and beyond them?

And, to be fair, this is based largely on a guess as to what Persephone is up to.

Great, yet another 'find the NPC' quest.

...Worse, a whole checklist of 'find the NPC' quests. At least he has a major advantage with his fast-travel abilities.

No undoing it now, Hephaestaean. I doubt Sparky was much happier than you are about the paperwork when he nobbled Cronus.

Such is the result of something like overthrowing a bad king: sorting out what happens after. Though even if he knew about this in advance, I doubt Phaeste would have said no to the upgrade, would he? At any rate, now there's a reasonably clear path for OL to follow up on concerning Captain Marvel. Let's hope he stops to check in with Cap before he goes haring off, just in case the Wizard has his own plans.

Tense mismatch. So, 'finishes'?

27. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Rather than just subjecting people to nightmares and madness, why not take it a step farther? Create an interactive dream based platform that allows people to meet through their dreams in some sort of nightmare realm. Or a shared augmented reality of madness that only the participants can see and interact with. Mimic real life server architecture to create the central shared realms for the thing, in order to fuse magic and technology, with Heph's assistance. Sure, there's the whole nightmares and madness aesthetic to it that might turn people away, but as long as it's fun and exciting enough, people will take part in it.

People already invest themselves so heavily into imaginary realities nowadays. What's not already crazy about that? Sprinkle some extra nightmares and madness on top, and it'll be perfect.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 4 others like this.
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn, Hepheastaean. My god doing a great job!

Encouraging his employees without micromanaging!

And if he has AI style multi-tasking and molecular printing...Damn, think what he could offer to his worshippers, the Mechanicus

I'm really looking forward to what the Pantheon will get up to

Cuchulin, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 2 others like this.
  29. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

and John Constatine continue to be on the loose as Paul busy dealing with random fire every where

30. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Think about how small of a nudge it took to get here. All that had to be done was getting Zeus a bit horny, and now Paul is stuck on this quest.

Prince Charon, Jaron, Ardy and 3 others like this.