1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I love this. The meditation seems pretty interesting, and how it goes with the 'these emotions don't power our rings but keep us sane' thing.

Mechanically, Earth Prime people don't have a soul so there's a good reason to think there's no way to get to an afterlife without one. Whether or not that's true is... well, I highly doubt a definitive statement on religion on Earth Prime will exist.

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can Guy, Malvolio or other enlightened Green Lanterns access the presumable Honden of Will? Or did the Guardian's control mechanisms of the green light prevent that somehow? (Though Malvolio shows that's not exactly ironclad).

I forget, but why did Paul/the Ophidian/both think of it as the Honden in the first place? Did he see the term in an anime or something?

I assume at least some Maltusians have done the equivalent of Honden visits, though hopefully not just Krona. Hinon hasn't really done anything impressive with the orange light as far as I remember (at least things that feel impressive like what Alan's doing now, I know making a Central Power Battery is very sophisticated and everything), but I know that's Maltusians in most media most of the time for obvious protagonist focused-reasons.

I wonder if Alan's semi-green nature would allow him to visit the Honden of Will even without a green power ring (I don't remember what happened to Kalmin's anti-Green ring at the moment. Or the one belonging to alt-universe Paul, for that matter. If they still exist, it could be interesting how he does with it after some reprogramming).
    This was probably already answered, but why didn't Renegade Awaken Alan the same way as John Stewart-50?

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it was implied that Malvolio used it when he teleported back to his sector after the Green Lanterns started trying to free Priest.

ChestBurster, DrThoth and Bud-E like this.
  4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

And I think Hinon visited the Honden of Will with Malvolio after he fought Guy and those other green lanterns. I think she was examining Malvolio to see just how connected he is with the Green Light of willpower?

ChestBurster, Windona and Ngamer11 like this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

We know no such thing.

The Pauls don't have a soul.

They also all think they are from Earth Prime.

All but one of them must be incorrect, and it's possible that they are in fact all incorrect.

So in fact "from Earth Prime" and "No soul" have shown no correlation in this story.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Oh dang it all. *facepalm* I'm sorry, I derped on what correction I was going to make when I quoted it, and so I ended up typing the wrong thing. The actual correction was it's -> its

Just like this one, too.

7. kerleth

kerleth Getting out there.

It would be cool if he became the incarnation of idealized America, the symbol it was held up to be and the purest dreams of what it might become. Balanced by an incarnation of corrupted America from this place. Then have Uncle Sam become the incarnation of America facing itself. Looking in the mirror and realizing what we think we are isn't the same as what we are, and the full complicated history. Neither Dream America, nor Nightmarica (heh, puns), but instead America as it wakes from sleep.

On an unrelated note, I can't see a Hamilton reference without thinking of Helsing Abridged.
    Alexander Anderson!

8. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

You are making an unprovable assumption that they didn't transfer to the current multiverse in a duplicative process.
    For example, these words you are reading come from me, as do all of the duplicates of these words being read by other people. They are brought to each of you by a duplicative process that allows these words from me to appear on many browsers, but all of them come from me.

In RL, we humans do not yet have a duplicative process we experience (if you don't count reproduction, which I don't because it makes a distinct new human), but Paul's scenario is obviously very unlike RL. It could be like the origin of Thomas Riker in ST:TNG

9. Aabcehmu

Aabcehmu Confusion As a Natural State of Being

The real Paul is here, writing With This Ring, so it's only natural to assume all of them, including Paragon, are copies.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And if I went down to Fedex and printed out your message that print out would still be from Fedex.

If the alt.Pauls are copies made from him in the Bleed, than they are from the Bleed, not Earth Prime.

If Picard ordered up a copy of the Mona Lisa to hang up on his wall that copy is from the replicator, not Italy.

Shh! It's supposed to be a secret that Zoat Prime is a Memesmith from Earth 33 using his author powers to manipulate his doppelgangers adventures in other universes.

ChestBurster likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Stupid irregular possessive tense.

12. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Both a song about historiography and one which is pretty tenuously connected to the subject. Nice.

Twelve stories tall and made of radiation. Knew the secrets of all space and time.

Except in Silicon Valley, which is maximum-America. Checkmate.

13. Birdsie

Birdsie Making the rounds.

"Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the me who believes in you!"

I'm betting that among the hopes of the people, at least several of them hoped that Kennedy would prove to be the president who fixed America completely, so we're probably about to get a supercompetent hyper-Kennedy, and I'm all for it.

14. Windona

Kennedy: Died a B+ President and serial philanderer. Reborn an AAA+ president.

15. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Refutation

that -> than

Paul's interactions with Alan are always interesting. He's one of the fic's original characters, so seeing how he's come out of retirement and into his own is gratifying. Here's hoping this ends with Blue enlightenment, there's no reason Paul and Guy should get to have all the fun. Kennedy should be cool in his own right, though.

16. Bud-E

Mr Zoat is Saint Walker in your story, and are you gonna add in stuff from the Green Lantern animated series cause that's canon to YJ now.

ChestBurster likes this.
  17. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I think if Saint Walker is in this story he is still on his own planet. Either before or during his planet learns about the sun's impending doom. The only Blue Lantern stated in this story right is Alan Scott and Earth -14 Paul. No one else has made blue lanterns yet. Though I do hope that Alan gets on that if Paul can make an orange lantern, I bet Alan can make a lantern and ring that functions the same as his pre-fixed ring did(eventually).

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul: "Boss Smiley, your greatest mistake was crossing me."
    That's why when trying to off a guy you don't leave the job unfinished.
    Just look at all of comic book history. Hell Justice League Doom just had me shaking my head. Everyone of those fools had the opportunity to kill their respective nemesis. Yet not a one of them put the effort to pull the trigger.

19. Windona

You assume they wanted to end their enemies more than they wanted to play with said enemies.

20. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

Just a thought: Might it be possible that if one were delve deep enough into the any of the Hondens of the emotional spectrum, one would come across the emotional imprints of the Source itself?

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He's around somewhere. I'm not sure if he'll actually feature.
    I did actually intend to include Razer at some point, but I've used planets and characters from the region of space that featured in Green Lantern Animated so it wouldn't really make sense to import the whole thing.

22. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

7th November 2012
    Roughly 10:51 GMT -5

I cautiously look at the two men sitting at the side of the idea of a road. One is floating just off the ground in the cross legged position, his eyes closed. The other keeps reaching up to his head as if to check that it's still there, then jerking his hands down.

"Green Lantern."

"Yes, Mister President?"

"This administration-." The younger man twitches slightly. "I feel that I have just incurred some great debt to you, but I don't seem quite able to recall what for."

Alan floats upright, though his feet don't quite touch the ground.

"You were in a bad way, sir, and I put you back together. But I'm afraid that America needs your help."

"It's my duty to the free world to aid our greatest hero." President Kennedy has a confused frown as he pulls himself to his feet and dusts himself off, and I find myself smiling at his description of Alan. "What seems to be the problem?"

"An evil spirit-."

"Alan, Alan. Just a… Just a minute."

Alan looks at me, his eyes still glowing pits.

"All of those emotions that were somewhere else, you feel them begin to return as you move away from the blue place. Remember all the things that made you angry? They're with you again, burning under your-."

Alan gasps, dropping to his feet and his eyes returning to normal.

"You alright?"

He nods. "Is that what it's like for you?"

"Don’t know, but maybe."

"Ah. I need a moment-."

"No problem. Mister President." I step forward and offer him my right hand. "Orange Lantern."

"Any friend of Green Lantern is a friend of mine."

He takes my hand and I feel a tremendous sense of reassurance and warmth at his presence. It's like meeting my father again after being at university for a term.

I don't think I like it.

"Sir, we're in a magic realm where all the worst parts of the American psyche are real objects or people. We're trying to get to the part which corresponds to Washington so that we can deal with the spirit of corruption that has kidnapped Uncle Sam and replaced him in the real world."

"And where do I come in?"

"A manifestation of the Military-Industrial Complex has fortified the outskirts with a giant wall, but I'm hoping that they'll open the gates for the President."

"A wall around Washington? Unthinkable. I'll demand that they tear it down!"

"Sir, I'm not sure that a direct confrontation with the Military-Industrial Complex would turn out well for you."

"I choose to tear down the Military-Industrial Complex, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Alan nods, creating a platform under the Super President's feet and rising into the air. The birds and I follow them, the great grey walls of the Military-Industrial Complex growing steadily closer. I see the missile batteries and flak guns train themselves on us.

"Green Lantern, put me on the radio."

An old style radio microphone appears in front of him.

"To the forces occupying the capital of the great nation, I am the President of the United States. With the authority invested in me by the Constitution, I as Commander in Chief order you to stand down."

The guns keep tracking us, but… We're over their perimeter now and they haven't fired. Close up, the walls tower into the heavens and we're flying almost vertical in an attempt to clear the battlements.

"Our purpose is to defend America. Why would the President order us to stand down?"

"Total war makes no sense in an age where great powers can maintain large and relatively invulnerable nuclear forces and refuse to surrender without resort to those forces. It makes no sense in an age when a single nuclear weapon contains almost ten times the explosive force delivered by all the allied air forces in the Second World War. It makes no sense in an age when the deadly poisons produced by a nuclear exchange would be carried by wind and water and soil and seed to the far corners of the globe and to generations yet unborn."

"What alternative is there?"

"Too many of us think that peace is impossible. Too many think it is unreal. But that is a dangerous, defeatist belief. It leads to the conclusion that war is inevitable, that mankind is doomed, that we are gripped by forces we cannot control. We need not accept that view. Our problems are manmade. Therefore, they can be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable and I believe they can do it again."

Huh.

Okay. Didn't feel too bad that time.

"You clearly don't understand what we're about. But this sounds like a problem for The Brass."

There's a clunk, and a section of the wall slides away while the missiles and gun batteries return to the neutral position.

"Come on in, Mister President."

"Thank you."

The five of us fly forward into the gap, prompting me to frown at the vulture.

"Why are you still here? The Military-Industrial Complex didn’t kill us."

"Early days."

We enter the tunnel, which… Keeps going, the entry gate sliding back into place behind us, followed by a bulkhead shutter-. And then another, and another, slamming down the moment we're past them.

Alan glances back. "Friendly, aren't they?"

"Perhaps we should have pretended to be arms lobbyists."

Kennedy shakes his head. "That would be unwise. The Military-Industrial Complex that besets this great country is not friendly towards foreign competition, even from our most stalwart allies. They would sell an armed robber a bullet to shoot their own mothers if they could turn a profit that way."

The inner door opens ahead of us, but I can't help frowning.

"Did anyone else hear the way he said 'The Brass'? Because-."

"The M.I.C. leaves complex decisions to me!"

The titanic robot made of shining brown metal standing towering over Washington raises its shoulder and forearm mounted cannons.

"And I've decided to designate this place a free-fire zone!"

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

These two are missing quotation marks.

Now that Alan has an idea of what Paul feels like when doing that, will this lead to a greater understanding of the Blue Light for future enlightenment?

That should say 'me'.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably because the things he was saying were things you wanted to hear.

25. Bud-E

So Kennedy is a hope elemental now or just inspiring hope in America?

26. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

So much for trying not to mess with the minds of every American by changing things in the nation's Negative Headspace.

I'm not arguing with the intentions or the results, there's a lot of ugly baggage that's negatively affecting everyone that we all tolerate, but even Paul have to admit that he is very hands-on and interventionist at times.

27. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Huh. Right. Enlightenment means that Paul is perfectly aware that the hope was artificially induced.

In the first case, it was something he would not have felt without the hope aura.

In the second case, Paul (to an extent) shares the same hope even without the aura, so it wouldn’t be as disconcerting.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

People forget that the Blue Light of Hope is the Orange Lights opposing color.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Blue is the opposite of Yellow. The opposite of Orange on the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum is Indigo.

30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Yup. Avarice and Compassion. Works very well as opposites.