1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's weird to say, but I think Vaermina might be onto something there. Paul's soul is literally made from the Orange Light, after all, and this is as Blue as it gets without there being more Blue Lanterns or being next to the Hope Embodiment.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, hell yes. Though he seems a little out of date. That's to be expected, given that the last thing he probably remembers is a nice publicity tour in Dallas, and sitting alongside his wife on a driving parade...

A great debt... Yes, you could call it that.

And that 'Greatest Hero' title is no mistake. Green Lantern was probably the third most powerful being in the country in the middle of the century (The Spectre and Johnny Thunder by way of his 'genie' Yz being the top two.)

Yeah, he's still deep in the Hopeful Place, isn't he? Better cool him down before he breaks something vital.

And yes, it may hurt to remember them, but that's part of being human.

He just mainlined Hope without the safety net of hosting the Embodiment, I'd say he's not all right... But he will be.

OL's perceptions are more tinted orange thanks to his Enlightenment. Alan had simply rejected all else for a short time...

Yeah, Alan's gonna need a moment to find his centre again.

Well, aren't you just a pessimistic grumpy guts? :p

Well, he is technically the second-highest power in the land. You can guess the first.

As long as you don't go declaring you're a jelly-filled doughnut again.

...So, how happy is he going to be when he sees they made it to the Moon? And then angry that they didn't stick around?

Quickly, please, before you get to experience what that pigeon did a couple of chapters back. And the big man here's already had one run-in with getting holes shot in him...

...And now to see if that works.

And for some reason, I'm hearing that in Gomer Pyle's voice.

Nice speech, Mr President.

...And now I wonder if that's having some effect on the world at large. :rolleyes: So much for not messing with America's collective psyche.

Because he's saying the things that make you nod your head. It's not as different to your own agenda as his initial contact.

...Don't think we didn't hear those Capital Letters. Looks like this isn't over yet.

Take your shoes off, put your feet up.

She's patient. And probably figures you're good for days of nibbling.

And now we're in the 'Get Smart' opening titles... Sheesh. Shows of the President's approximate era, getting a real workout.

They'd see through you in a second. Not cut-throat enough.

Sadly true of so many nations... :oops: And let's not argue over it, folks? We've been doing so well so far.

Ah, that would be The Brass. Loud fella, ain't he?

Whatever happened to 'speak softly, but carry a big stick'? :p

...And now I'm picturing Liberty Prime, in a brass colour scheme, wearing an officer's hat and bedecked with medals. Great. Well, at least this should be a clearer target to deal with than giant walls laden with guns. Let's just hope Kennedy-Prime can flex his Commander-in-Chief muscles in a way that they listen. Or things might get real noisy.

3. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Not really. Orange lanterns as a whole aren't really especially vulnerable or resistant to blue light compared to other lanterns. Larfleeze on the other hand IS because he's an emotional wreck who mainlined orange light and part of him hopes one day to be free of it.

As a rule Blues are better at messing with Reds and Yellows, however there's always a level of variation due to individual, culture, and species differences, like how Tamaranians deal with orange light so well on average.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    It will help his understanding, but having met the SI and Lord Malvolio, do you think Alan's likely to want it?

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Nabu would also qualify there.

6. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

Or, perhaps more broadly, Selfishness and Selflessness. Avarice (at least the way Paul does it) allows for outcomes beneficial to third parties, but only third parties that mean something to you, selfishly. Compassion, meanwhile, will help perfect strangers just as much as their closest friends, ideally.

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Did Alan meet Lord Malvolio or did he simply read reports on the green fella’s actions?

Hey gang, I’m not sure if Uncle Sam will be in any sort of shape to help against the yellow grinner. And the “good” heartland does not seem like it has the defenses to keep out Smiley while Uncle Sam recovers there. If Uncle Sam does not get a quick fix and he does not die, passing his mantle on to another, how could he affect the rest of the arc? Could he get killed for good, just so Smiley can spite Paul?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  8. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

If this is somehow leading to the Titan Presidents of Bismoll....

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Does choice enter the equation? I mean so far all of the non-green lantern people who attain enlightenment don't do it on purpose, or at least not with the goal to achieve that state specifically.

It seems more like a state brought on by continuing to engage with and train your interaction with a specific emotion. Something Alan is certainly doing, and something he's been doing for a long time, albeit I'm not sure if all of those credits transfer.

It seems like physical conditioning, you can want to be a softie all day, but if you're actually putting in the work then you'll get the results even if you'd rather not.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn that was a good speech. Was that sampled from a real Kennedy one?

In either case, it represents what Paul and this fic are about perfectly.

Nothing is unfixable.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Oh, hey, it's a Fake Nemesis...

12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I just had an idea is Demon-Constantine's plan to turn himself into a weird love elemental, but because he's such a screwed up person (Him being a demon and all) he somehow calls/summons the Predator the elemental embodiment of love.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  13. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

I think 'Greatest Hero' =/= 'Most Powerful', yeah sure in a fight Nabu and the Spectre could likely beat Alan but those guys don't inspire people like Alan does even when he was a Green Lantern. We saw a hint of that way back when an old Chinese man was mentioned asking about the Green Lantern. It's a similar vein of how despite Hulk and Thor battling over who's the strongest avenger; it's undisputed that Captain America is the Greatest Avenger.

Also, I might be a bit paranoid but I have s small feeling that Gordan the Vulture Capitalist might be another face for Boss Smiley.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  14. Mr Zoat

Yes.

15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I find this statement hilarious.

"greatest" not necessarily "strongest"

16. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

I would rather say the poured a hope elemental into Kennedy's corpse.

17. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Admittedly this is probably less laughable than when Reagan made that comment. And gotta admire that commitment and lack of fear.

I saw it was sampled from a real Kennedy speech, but that is a banger of a speech. Not surprised it resonated with Paul: he's all about solving big problems, and that people can solve them.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'resorting'

19. Mr Zoat

You're free to take it up with the later Mr. Kennedy.

20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

This was always my dad's favorite Kennedy quote. I'm surprised Zoat's not writing the Boston accent.

21. Mr Zoat

My ability to write American accents is highly variable.

22. Perchance

Perchance Getting out there.

It took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize that JFK was the John in Dear John this episode, you cheeky man.

So my main question is: as president can JFK Veto the upcoming macross missile massacre?

23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'd just like to point out that, despite the fact that he's obviously blue in colour here, that JFK refers to Alan as Green Lantern.

This stands out to me because it means that he Remembers Alan as the Green Lantern of his era, rather then simply going by what he's currently seeing. Not bad for a dead guy who's cranium was in several pieces.

And something of a statement to how much of the man is in there with the image of the man.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

vested

That explains why I can hear it in Kennedy's voice in my head.

Kennedy's Boston accent isn't so strong as to stand out compared to a neutral American accent. The slightly nasal tone doesn't impact the phonetics, and Kennedy's voice didn't emphasize the non-rhotic nature of his accent very strongly.

25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I don’t think this is really fair. JFK did think that he had an afterlife arranged, in the Silver City (though he probably would have gone to Hell), but then for whatever reason he got dumped in this place instead (which is probably still better than Hell, come to think of it).

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I think it's like 'flammable' and 'inflammable'.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

That may be true (I have no idea), but I am pretty sure John would say ‘vested’.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Think Paul's point is that Kennedy didn't ensure where he was going the way Paul did. Paul has had direct chats, and when he ended up in the Silver City instead he had another chat with Hades about that. Paul has it in verbal contract, if not in writing, and also has clones and such ready.

...I guess the closest thing Kennedy could have done was get the Pope to make sure there was a 'this man is 100% going to the Pearly Gates'. Which iirc is theologically iffy on getting done, but I don't know enough about Catholicism to say if the Pope can go 'you are tots going to heaven' in the 60's.

(Though IIRC if JFK had said the Lord's Prayer and asked for forgiveness for his sins recently enough before he died, anything bad he did would have been forgiven and he would have gone to heaven? Sorry, I am but a Quaker whose knowledge of the complexities of other Christian theologies is a bit poor.)

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's not that Orange Lanterns are vulnerable to Blue Light.

It's that the Orange Light can't take from the Blue.

Cuchulin and Windona like this.
  30. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat Since this JFK is the idealized version of the American psyche does he look just like the late JFK? Is this one taller/more handsome/buffer or since we have a clear image of what JFK looked like that's the only way he's imagined?