1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

The NCR also strips out a huge number of the compontents of their repurposed "Power armor" so it's not impossible to walk in.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Personally, I'm less interested in the war than what led up to it. At the end of Fallout 1, the Brotherhood were earning favour by introducing 'safe' technology to the California region. The Brotherhood fought against the Master, and several areas that joined the NCR came under super mutant attack during that period. Same with the Enclave. So how did the Brotherhood end up fighting the NCR?
    There is a dummied out event that lets you duel Maxon if you don't like his policy on synths.

3. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

WHY WOULD YOU FOCUS ON THE KID IN THE FRIDGE QUESTLINE AND LEAVE THAT PART OUT???

Zxzx24 and nobodez like this.
  4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

The war was basically due to two things. Almost blind loyalty to their leader and getting a really shitty leader.

Somehow an ultra traditionalist "we can't let the savages have technology" Elder ended up in charge, and the NCR's advancement as a civilization got him extremely salty.

That's literally all it took. When he said to attack, the Brotherhood listened.

5. Mr Zoat

Short version.
    Longer version.

Baladar, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Kekeli111

Kekeli111 Getting sticky.

Let me preface this with the fact that I haven't seen young justice. I want to make an enquiry on renegade chapters and episodes.
    At first I assumed you could just skip them but then I got to the first renegade episode, which means I had to go read all the previous renegade chapters for said episode to make sense.(because I have no knowledge of young justice cannon). From then I have been reading renegade chapters just in case other renegade episodes show up again. My question is that since I have gotten to the point were paragon leaves Earth for maltus and the vega system is it okay for me to start skipping renegade chapters again and still make sense of everything because I don't really like renegade. I'm asking because I am scared that I might miss major story points in renegade that are important for the plot in paragon.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Renegade and Paragon are different story lines. You could ignore Renegade, it's a very different story especially at the point you are at

8. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

The Renegade and Paragon have interacted once, but it wasn’t a major interaction and you won’t really be missing much by ignoring it. I do recommend reading the Renegade, though, since I think some of the episodes are pretty great, like the one where he’s in that castle or fighting that secret agent. Obviously it comes down to your preference, though.
    Edit: To be clear, I meant that the two timelines have interacted once. The actual characters of the Renegade and Paragon have never met.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    Lord Ernest, Bud-E, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  9. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Honestly, I don't care about that so much as how the whole Danse situation was mishandled by the writing. We don't know if he'd always been a synth, if he was a genuine infiltrator that just didn't know, if he was inserted into Rivet City by the Railroad, etc. Most likely he was a runaway that went through a Railroad mind wipe but that only raises further questions. It's especially frustrating because it could give insight into how this chapter recruits.

I also have a lot of sympathy for Arthur Maxson, with his young age (he's like 22 I think) and with being caught between the teachings of his mentor and orders from the Council of Elders at Lost Hills pulling him every which way. His story, along with the Brotherhood as a whole in 4, is an exercise in wasted potential and telling instead of showing. That, along with the betrayal of the Brotherhood's core mission.

There is no discussion of the Brotherhood's long term plan in Boston with what is in essence an expeditionary force beyond destroy the institute. There is no real demonstration of their logistical chain and you never have to go acquire technology possessed by normal people. All of this tech you recover is guarded by feral ghouls or raiders or the Church of Atom. Aside from the badly handled Danse plotline, there is no real demonstration of the this iterations supposed hardliner tendencys. The closest is casual racism against ghouls and synths in addition to some off the books food requisition missions from the quartermaster, even then it's implied higher is unaware of it and you can pay them a fair price directly. Plus, them looking down on wastelanders doesn't make much sense, since it seems most of this Brotherhood are first generation recruited from wastelanders! Being xenophobic in the face of possible synth infiltration would have made a bit more sense.

No efforts to wipe out organized raiders, even as a radiant quest? No reaction to Nuka-World? Or Vault 88? Or even seizing any other strategic location or technological treasure trove? As undermanned as the Lyons Chapter was in FO3, they had like 3 or 4 strong points they'd garrisoned, in addition to the Outcasts.

When you seize through force a trove of both pre-war knowledge and post war discovery, you slap a nuke on it and call it a day? Really? The Brotherhood? On a functional new nuclear reactor and freaking teleport tech?

This has become a much longer rant then it needed to be. Sorry about that.

Zxzx24, Cuchulin and Silverias like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Fallout: Iowa (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

Uuugh…

Everything's a… Blur.

I think I remember falling to the dust-covered tarmac. I think I remember rough hands hauling me upright. I think I remember trying to respond but it was like-

Agh!

-I was there, being lowered onto the gurney, living the fear and confusion of the-

Guh!

-poor… Bastards who woke up there. The only thing comparable was my face to face with the Odious King, but those were alien thoughts, ways of looking at the universe that just… Don't work with the human brain. This… Powerlessness, is far more familiar. I felt something like it before coming to this place, and again when the ring died and I was trying to learn how to use my psychic powers.

But being strapped down while the people around you were…

**Calm.**

I focus at once, the world-. A.. room, beds, red crosses, Lafayette-.

"Chief Krono, thank the spirits." He smiles at me, clearly relieved. "I wasn't sure I could snap you out of it."

I nod, pushing myself into a sitting position. Lafayette's one of my people, a biokinetic-focused psyker. I can still-. I can still remember what the poor bastard in the robot body went through, but it's not like I'm there any more.

"Thank you. Why.. was I.. stuck like that?"

"Traumatic bonding. Whatever you did-. Everything the brain in that robot went through, you were connected to him when he got his memories back."

"And because we were connected, our brains synced up. Please tell me he didn't suffer a spontaneous Emergence."

"No, no." He shakes his head. "I just-."

He twitches, looking slightly vacant. A telepathic message. I could listen in, but I shouldn't until I get a clean bill of health. He stays like that for a moment, then comes back to life, smiling.

"They're okay. Once I disconnected you, the robot stopped looping too."

"Good. I don't suppose there's any chance you could craft them a new body, is there?"

"Mother of-. No, Krono, I couldn't-." He frowns. "Not from scratch. I might be able to… Rehouse… Him. I'd need a body to work with. And… No, probably several. I'd have to pour power into the transmutation and hope it matched blood and tissue types, because that's way more complicated than patching up a regular injury."

"You can use the remains of Chester and Deborah."

"Deb-?"

"Given the choice between a human of the wrong sex and a cold unfeeling robot chassis, which would you pick?"

"Yeah, I-. Heh, question I didn't think I'd get asked this morning."

I nod. "How long was I down for?"

"It's the Sixth. Ah, about six in the evening."

6th November 2282
    18:00ish CDT

"Thank you. I am clear to leave?"

"Let me check you over real quick."

His eyes glow pale green, and I feel… It's not painful, but a wave of pressure throughout every part of my body. He nods as it reaches my toes.

"You're right as rain. Try to avoid doing that again. Or at least take the time to learn to disconnect yourself in an emergency."

"I'll try." I get up off the bed, and I feel just as steady as ever. "Is the Governor aware?"

"Yeah, and he wants to see you. I haven't told him anything."

Ah… "For future reference, unless we trip over another neurotropic initiator, you can brief our allies on psychic phenomena in my absence."

"Sure, Chief, but he didn't ask." I nod. "You want me to start on… Ah, Chester's body?"

"Probably a good idea, but let me speak to the Governor and Timothy first."

Lafayette blinks. "Who, sir?"

Who-? "The brain in the mechanoid. His name is Timothy Walters."

"I'm kinda surprised that he remembers, really."

"The human brain is a remarkable thing."

"Heh. That it is."

I walk out of the… Medical barracks, looking around-.

"Hey, Mutie Chief! You ain't dead!"

I smile at Corporal Iverson, still in full armour but armed with a laser instead of his highly valuable gauss rifle. "Indeed I'm not. Have you ever seen a living brain transplant?"

"Ah. No? And I don't think I want to?"

Unfortunately, I suspect that option will be out of both of our hands before too long.

"Then why don't you take me to the Governor."

"Ah, yeah, I was supposed to do that anyway." He glances back at the medical barracks. "Really a brain transplant?"

"If you were captured by an enemy, who cut your brain out of your skull and plugged it into a robot to send out against your comrades, would you want them to disable the robot and put your brain back in a human body, or just kill you?"

"… Sheeeet, man. Ah, I body, I guess? Is that likely to happen?"

"I really hope not, but I'll remember your preference just in case. Lead the way."

The town isn't big enough for the walk to take long, though the undercurrent of nervousness in the soldiers and the few civilians around us it noticeable. Not fear, just concern and readiness. I doubt that there's anyone left amongst the Enclave that aren't well accustomed to combat. But it's so frustrating! I picked Iowa because I didn't think there was anything here! This is going to set them back years!

Governor Autumn, Lieutenant Governor Granite, General Grimm and Sergeant Dornan are having a discussion just outside the town hall, and Autumn walks towards me when he spots me.

"Mister Krowno. Ah assume that you have news for me."

"There's a Vault or other War-era shelter out there. The people were in suspended animation until they were taken out, strapped to gurneys and then put through the brain extraction process while fully aware. I can restore them if we can disable the robots."

He nods, a faint moue of distaste on his lips. "Do they have any special hostile intent, or was it simply a chance encounter?"

"The robots have instructions to attack anything that isn't marked as friendly, and to gradually expand their area of operation. They're not aimed at you yet, but I don't know what the intelligence guiding them intends. My medic is going to try putting the brain we recovered in a human body, see if we can sort him out."

He nods, glancing back towards his command staff for a moment.

"Mister Krowno, ah will be frank. We do not have the resources for a protracted campaign. Nor do ah think we can defend our farmlands against a concerted attack. And we certainly cannot risk our soldiers to save these things, no mattah how innocent the brain within may be."

I nod. "I understand."

He nods back. "Ah'm glad. Please, come and join us while we decide how to handle this new difficultay."

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  11. Mr Zoat

Okay, that's it. No more Fallout for a while.

12. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

Krono strikes me as the one paul variant that honestly shouldn’t be as successful as he is, but looking forward to seeing what john’s been upto

Istaran, Ardy, Splinterface and 3 others like this.
  13. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

Why because he doesn't have a ring?

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Sounds like the bad kind of trip. At least the militiamen kept him from getting into any kind of trouble. Still probably not the weirdest thing he's done since waking up in this world... Even if it might be one of the most traumatic.

Ouch. the worst kind of memory sharing. Seeing bad stuff that you can't help but feel as if it's happening to you directly.

It's worth noting: those people being turned into Cybermen? Once they were freed of the implanted control chips, most immediately killed themselves. :oops: Says a lot about how bad it was, huh?

Thankfully, Krono isn't alone, then.

So, he's been under for a while, presumably reliving the conversion process over and over. Bet that'll leave him with nightmares.

At least the memories will fade in time. Hopefully.

Oooh, a psychic battle-bot. There's a scary idea, especially if it's hostile...

Yeah, got to be wary of the psychic equivalent of viruses. Like an Ear-worm. :p Your buddies would not be happy to suffer from that kind of mnemonic infection...

Only needs, what, two hundred pounds of onions, right? The Lizards can do wonders with that kind of materiel.

That would be the operatives killed in their first encounter with the Battle-bots, eh?

Heck, some people would jump at that opportunity.

Hopefully not long. I doubt the Colonists here would be happy with you taking up a hospital bed for weeks.

Always got to love the mid-scene timestamp... You can just imagine it popping up on screen with an almost embarrassed animation.

Oooh, tingly. Bet they can give one hell of a deep-tissue massage, huh?

I suspect he would have heard about you being hauled in on a stretcher by the troops.

Just try not to confuse therm with technical jargon, huh?

They might object to that kind of frankensteining.

Good point. The whole process would be kind of contingent on him wanting to live.

Just look at all the people who can keep functioning even after having chunks knocked clean out of their skull.

Fortunately, you get to avoid the hangover, thanks to your biokinetic buddy.

Well, there's a non-sequitor for you.

The joy of having to answer to someone else, huh?

I know, it sounds like science fiction, doesn't it? :D

Huh, he's got guts, I'll give him that. Letting them kill you would be the easy way out...

Ah, see, that was your mistake. You forgot to account for narrative inconvenience. This is the kind of universe that is out to get you, after all.

Geez, these names. It's like someone wanted to make a generation of action movie stars...

I mean, their maker probably wants to keep expanding their territory.

Gentlemen, prepare for trouble...

In other words, he's not happy about any of this, much less having to rely on Krono for aid?

And a good natural stopping point for this plotline. I'm sure we'll be seeing the fallout of this scenario soon enough. At least it sounds like OL will finally be getting back on the trail of John Constantine, following distraction after distraction... Seriously, I can't wait until he can get to have words with John once and for all. Maybe smack him over the head a few times for all the trouble he's been put through.

16. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

It was fun while it lasted. That’s genuine, not sarcasm by the way. I just find psychic powers a lot easier to digest (suspending my disbelief) than other superpowers. Unless things reach Dark Phoenix or Mob Psycho levels, I suppose.

I do wonder though, if there is some potential here. With a cybernetic cable connecting the biological body’s head to their previous robot body, could this victim learn to operate two bodies at once? Obviously the cable is a weak point, but there is potential for power armor or a mech here.

17. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

One of these is not like the other, lol.

18. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

I could be wrong but this seems awfully similar to the Calculator and Vault 0 from Fallout Tactics.

19. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Huh, I had forgotten about that. I mainly remembered when they turned off the mind control chips, and there was a scene of one woman who got free just in time to start getting vivisected.
    Also, I just realised that the Doctor’s message in that episode about how the Cybermen will be stagnant if they win is completely wrong, given that they are entirely capable of technological advancement in later seasons, like the one with the black hole.

20. dw7thdoctor

they only innovate as a result of outside pressure. If the cybermen of Pete's world which are different than the Mondasian cybermen had won and converted the whole world they'd probably just sit there twiddling their thumb. I'm mean maybe the cyber controller that CEO guy would innovate because he seemed a bit more with it, but still less likely.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

did didn't -> it didn't

22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Well, I’d think that if they had half a brain (which I think they do), they would still have outside pressure, given that they’d realise the threat of alien invasion, which is hardly a rare occurrence in Doctor Who. You have got a point about them being a different type of Cybermen, though.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  23. dw7thdoctor

Though in Pete's world there is a Torchwood it is not explained how it formed, because there doesn't seem to be a Doctor equivalent in that parallel, so I don't know how much alien involvement there is.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I still think that at least the Cyber-Controller should be able to predict the threat of aliens, but I will admit that it is reasonable to say that they might not.

25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Ugh, yeah, poor people. I'm assuming they were all roboticized, and there aren't just pods of people in suspended animation waiting to be roboticized.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  26. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Given how profligate the creators seem to be, and given that the local human population is probably very low due to the radiation storms, I would guess that they do still have a large population in stasis, or maybe even an unfrozen breeding population. Could be completely off the mark, though.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Oh good. Krono is the least interesting of the alternate Pauls we've met. (Maybe excluding the Ambush Bug run, who I don't remember.)

29. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hopefully will see X-Man Paul get a turn next time!

30. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

And see Paul clapping Rouge's cheeks while Gambit cries into some Hagen Daz

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.