1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

False Dawn

8th November 2012
    08:02 GMT -5

"Hm."

Canis doesn't look impressed. "Crude and inelegant. The deceitfulness intrinsic to trying to appear advanced while falling so far short may have merit, were it not for the fact that they so clearly believe their deception."

We're looking at one of the Alliance of the Just's quantum field towers, this one towering above every other building in Washington DC. Honestly, I'm a little surprised that they were allowed to build it here, but… I suppose that with everything that's caught the American government flat-footed lately, this was something they wanted to get on board with early.

And the new President-Elect has been publically shaking hands with Vincent Edge, which didn't hurt either of them.

"You don't like it?"

Canis shrugs. "It is not terrible. I suppose that it serves their purpose; it simply does not interest me." He clenches his knees slightly, and Brut turns away. "So I will do something that does. Death-Doll is introducing me to her modelling agency today, and I hope to find many fascinating subjects there."

"Modelling agency?"

"The 'Support Group'. No doubt a reference to the way they support the activities of their more enthralling principles. A worthy life for a Lowlie."

I smile, and raise my right hand in a wave. "You have fun. Or at least sufficiently artistic pain."

He glances back with a smile as a Boom-

BOOM!

-Tube opens.

"I'm glad that you understand! So many humans don't!"

Brut gallops through and I return my attention to the tower. There were articles in a couple of national newspapers about how they were using superhumans and magicians in the building process to keep the costs a little more manageable -they are a charitable organisation after all- as well as to do some things that couldn't be done otherwise. Using Earth technology to build a quantum communications network? Well, I could do it, and I… I don’t think any species in this Sector has the technology, but I wouldn't exactly be shocked to find out that there were mad scientists out there somewhere who could do the same. The Sivanas are the only ones who come immediately to mind.

"Ring, will it do what they say it will?"

"Exterior design matches submitted plans and known examples of the technology. Unable to directly scan structure."

And that's the rub. I don't have any grounds to barge in. Legally speaking, I'm just a nosy parker. They've got all of the permits that they require, and the Justice League… Really don't have the expertise with this sort of device.

I made my bed where the League are concerned.

I look away, turning and unfocusing my eyes to look at the underlying desires of the federal government's administrative buildings. Lots of milling around and jockeying for position, especially now they know for certain that they'll have a new boss next year.

I don’t really… Have a position on the US Presidential Election. President Horne seemed inoffensive enough; the Citizenship Recognition Act is something he'll always be remembered for, and I'm personally grateful for how he treated Swamp Thing after he attacked Gotham. On the other hand, I'm not really convinced that he does dynamic leadership, and after something like the Sheeda Harrowing and… All the other changes that have been happening in the world, I'm not sure he was a good fit. And of course the deal with Swamp Thing played a lot less well with America than it did with me.

President-Elect Henry Knight is certainly more dynamic. And I've worked with him enough to know that he's energetic and determined. Will he be a good President? Don't know. He's not a moral person but he is prepared to move things around if his allies get their cut.

There are many people I'd much rather have in the role, but… I don't think he'll be a disaster. At least, not in any way that will affect me or anyone I care about.

I

step out,

reappearing at Alan's de-lichened house. And… He's not here. Huh. Guess he's making an early start. We were going to meet up today to follow up on Dr. Balewa's lead on John Constantine… I suppose I didn't say I was going to meet him here…

I generate a zeta tube construct and step through-

8th November 2012
    13:04 GMT

"Recognized, Orange Lantern, B zero six."

-into the Watchtower. No one in the main hall…

Oh, Alan can send me a message by ring if they need me immediately.

I drift over to the main window and look down at the Earth. Yeah, still there, still a planet. It's interesting that the change to Brazil is actually visible from here; it's just about the only visible thing to have changed from here since I first arrived. I had thought that my efforts at removing plastic particulates in the ocean might have changed the colour a little, but no. It was a useful thing to do for the ecosystem; I do occasionally get letters of thanks from oceanographers and fishermen, but in terms of making changes visible from orbit it… Didn't.

Still, it's… Nice. To look down on a world and recognise the shape of the continents. Because I'm actually familiar with them and not because I checked the map in advance.

"A most pleasing sight."

"Not too much of it on fire, you mean."

"I do not believe that it is our job to put out all of the fires."

"Me neither, but I still prefer it when they're not there."

"Members of the Justice League are surprisingly resistant to the idea of seeing themselves as gods. At first, I thought that it was modesty. Now, I think that it is self-delusion."

"Taxonomically, they're not gods. And people revere things that aren't gods all the time. You wouldn't call… Arsenal Football Club a god."

"Could the Arsenal Football Club attack a titan with a black hole?"

"Taxonomically, it wasn't a black hole." I turn away from the view to look at Dr. Balewa. "So, what news on the Constantine situation?"

"Are you not more concerned about the Smiley?"

"John Constantine is a friend. Boss Smiley isn't currently attacking any of my friends. So even if he's more important in some objective sense, I'm not going to prioritise him. That said… Could I go full-Ophidian Host on him… Safely?"

He looks at me, not unkindly, and… And for a moment I can see his age, the millennia of life-.

"If you were to fly into the deepest part of space, as far from every living thing as you could possibly be, you could not 'go full Ophidian Host' with complete safety. All people have an influence on one another just by existing. The idea that certain actions are 'free' and others are 'restricted' is simply nonsense."

"Alright, but-."

"There is no rule. I cannot tell you that there is some objective level of influence that is 'okay', and take from you the ability to make that determination for yourself. I hev spent most of my life in the remote parts of Africa because my tolerance for influencing people is low, but there is no thing built into the universe that tells me that I am right."

He shakes his head.

"I could hev made myself King of Earth, you understand? And I am sure that you are thinking-."

"The practical advantages, yes."

"And yet, you hev avoided making yourself king. Ah." He looks down, smiling for a moment. "But… Perhaps we should focus on the reason for our meeting."

"Where in the world is John Constantine?"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  2. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Chilling on a tropical island somewhere with Carmen Sandiego?

boo600, Bigreader, Sojiko and 51 others like this.
  3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I mean, he does have a personal interstellar organization outside Earth that roughly does what he wants.

4. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I wager you could make a reasonably compelling children's television show with this premise. Teach kids about geography, culture, history....

boo600, rdfox, ChestBurster and 25 others like this.
  5. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

And some guy with a red-and-white striped shirt and matching hat.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He's hanging out with Carmen San Diego and Waldo

Ha, perhaps literally. Using magic to hide in a children story somewhere.

"The little bastard that could"

"Hungry hungry demons"

"Horton heard a satanic chanting"

7. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"know" to "known"

Should "American" be "Americans"?

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think this should say: "it is self-delusion".

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

What, you don't believe in 'fake it until you make it', Canis? On the other hand, pop culture has more or less conditioned people to think 'sleek and streamlined' equals high-tech. Well, besides exceptions like 'Star Wars'...

A giant force-field over the city in case of alien invasion? Why wouldn't they want that? Huh, forgot that it's a teleportation network. Still, being able to get superheroes anywhere in town near-instantly in case of trouble is appreciated, I guess.

Which should be a fascinating experience for many of them...

:confused: ...Okay, sure, whatever you want to think, big guy...

Ah, OL's finally getting the hang of thinking Brut-style, huh? I suppose it makes it easier to manage him...

He's surprisingly cheerful, isn't he? Looking forward to experiencing others misery really gets him in a good mood, huh?

So, stuff like telekinetics to hold panels together as thermokinetics welded? Good to see people making use of superhuman powers logically.

Well, that doesn't bode well.

And then left Earth rather than lay in it... The joy of being interstellar.

Well, at least it isn't Lex Luthor. Maybe in four year's time...

Worst case, he gets assassinated or something and the point becomes moot.

Heh. Kind of hard to remember other people do have lives when you're not around, huh, OL? :p

Ah, the joy of League facilities having better warding these days...

As long as it isn't 'Get here immediately, all Hell is literally breaking loose!'

Still, at least you got on Gaea's good side with that stuff.

Speaking of other planets. I presume he's been keeping on top of the Reach situation reports. Guess the Periphery's cooled down a little after that big push.

Eh, that's just, like, your opinion, man. OL is a natural busybody.

Well, given some of the shit they've gotten into... I'm surprised there aren't more cults of the League. They even have a heavenly gathering hall where they watch over Earth from, even if it's not public knowledge...

That was an outlier, and you know it. Imagine how much worse off Earth would be if that happened more often...

Well, good to see someone's taking the Grinning Git's threat seriously.

Such is the nature of dealing with a Shaman of the Orange Light, doctor. Sometimes, you do need to head off the crazy ideas early.

Especially when a certain someone has a chunk of elemental Avarice serving as their soul.

Such is the joy of Enlightenment.

But just imagine the paperwork! You busted a Brainiac out of space jail just so you wouldn't have to do it for the Orange Lantern Corps...

Eh, not quite as catchy, but I doubt he'd look as good in red.

And so we begin the final leg of the hunt, hopefully. Finally, we get to see where the Laughing Magician's been for the past year and a half. And it better have been something important he's been doing, or he's going to get such a pinch. o_O Seriously, if it turns out John's simply been taking a gap year in Acapulco or something, OL might well smack him.

It's interesting that the change to Brazil is actually visible...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought this was their equivalent of the zeta tubes?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, if the Uncle Sam thing got out then they'd really want something that would make them look good.

"now that they know"

I'm kinda worried about this.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's just a teleportation and communication network.

I think Paul and Kirito would share the same belief when it comes to this.

The title of the episode worries me and makes me think it's not going to happen.

13. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

...demon summoning.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Still not addressing the after effects of LePaul destroying one of the most well loved landmarks in the United States.

15. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I bet John is locked in a cage next to Carmen San Diego in Waldo's creepy sex dungeon.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]
    Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that would be a bad idea. Few metahumans have the precision of control that would be required.
    Thank you, corrected.
    That's fine either way.

17. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Pretty sure freezing both poles should be visible from orbit Zoat.

18. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

Unlikely, from an equatorial orbit axial tilt could easily hide one pole from view. Even so as I don't know how high an orbit the Watchtower is, the curvature of the Earth could easily obstruct the view of any changes to the poles. (and there's always the excuse of an inconvenient cloud)

19. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

You COULD, but you wouldn't want children learning the lessons John teaches. Survivalism, Diabolism, Enochic Summoning, and running from bad karma aren't societally-friendly pursuits.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

they need -> he needs
    (I'm pretty sure Alan uses male pronouns.)

Also, it's suspicious as fuck that Alan's gone and OL doesn't seem to notice. Maybe Boss Smiley is back.

21. Mr Zoat

'They' is Alan and Dr. Balewa.

22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘hev’, I think, unless his accent was momentarily less thick for some reason.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Build. Has.

Looks.

25. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

She convinced him to wear a red and white striped shirt, a dumb hat, and glasses. Paul can’t find him because he doesn’t want to play Where’s Waldo/Wally.

WhiteNoise, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  26. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Dr. Balewa's philosophy is always fun, given how he foils against Savage and Paul. He wants what is best for the world, but wants people to be able to figure things out themselves, which theoretically links all three but the way they approach it is completely different.

Society of the Just thing will either vindicate Paul's suspicions or it may end up a repeat of the JLU episode where Superman trashed what was a genuinely good piece of charity work.

Now where is Alan...

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Where is John Constantine?

Where is Waldo?

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'looks at me'

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  29. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

What's happening with the Nazi's?

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Blitzen seems to be working with the League for now while Angelika and Karl may try to reform their world.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.