1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘we’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ’hev’, unless you’re being deliberately inconsistent.

2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Not sure what this comic means, they were.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected,

4. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Dr Mist and Accomplished Perfect Physician are some of the Leaguers we see the least of. It’ll be interesting to see how Balewa approaches the Tower’s puzzles and tricks. He certainly is not a “throw brute force at it” kind of man, so what sort of style will he have, how will it set him apart?

Has he brought along any totems or amulets for this adventure?

Has he learned any tricks about Lords of Order specifically, perhaps due to his chats with Orange Lantern Nabu (from the Supergirl Sextuplets/Demon Superman arc)?

Is he going to “kill” John Quinn to fix Chaos!Constantine, turn Quinn into a real boy with some Life Entity juice, or limit Chaos!Constantine with a geas as soon as this adventure is over?

5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I think the part that some people explaining are missing is that the explanation hints at Constantine now missing all the personality traits he gave to Quinn. Him being heroic? Him being good? I think what we’re about to see is an explicitly villainous Constantine that’s a Lord of Chaos - freeing him seems like an obvious mistake. Heck, he probably locked himself away until one of them could figure out how to use the power on purpose so that he wouldn’t do evil stuff.

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I suggest deleting 'included'; I think it's unnecessary and a tad confusing.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

If you want to feel older, if that were true I would have been born yesterday.

8. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Please be a heist, please be a heist, please be a heist.

9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Well for once the League can have a meeting about sharing info that's not about Paul

TopHatWearer, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

That makes sense. I figure original John always planned on recombining with Quinn after he mastered order magic so he could get a handle on it without torment of order and chaos fighting inside him.

11. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Balewa is probably the world’s best mystic and basically did a xianxia soul search on Demon Constantine. Demon was still able to trick him by showing some stuff first, but he wasn’t able to actually keep anything from him, just mess with the order a bit.

12. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Does John lose the memories and qualities he imbues into his golems? Or at least partially supresses them? Because if that's the case then it seems completely sensible to me that Quinn locked him up. I mean imagine John Constantine, except much less heroic, more selfish overall and by the way also a Lord of Chaos. Like, yeah. Definitely lock that up.
    As for why Quinn didn't tell anyone, well, the only way of fixing the original is by merging them back, which to Quinn would either feel like dying or at the very least like having a whole bunch of ignoble, disorderly and unethical character traits shoved into him. And the superhero that he'd be most familiar with and who is known for pragmatism the most would happen to be "To Keep What's Mine" Orange Paul, who interprets Avarice as friend hoarding, who definitely considers the original Constantine as some kind of friend and who just moved heaven and earth and right after berated the whole Justice League for not freeing one of his friends father.

In other words, I totally get John Quinn here and would probably have done the same.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  13. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Yup. Though the way it's phrased in story is that they think Quinn is keeping Constantine to draw power from him. So I don't think they see it that way yet

14. Mr Zoat

I'll modify the sentence.

15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You are young, yes. A kid.

16. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

John actually isn't all that powerful, he is just cunning enough to beat the things that are. Most of his tricks involve calling up more powerful beings, runic structures, rituals, artifacts, or cantrips that he has figured out extra uses for. Sometimes a combination of several of these at once.

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

While others, like me, were certainly around - I'm pretty sure from things Zoat as said that I'm older than he is, for example.

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That cunning is his power.

He's the Laughing Magician, he controls probability itself.

Golden Boy used that power to become the most powerful magician in the world and ruler of the world.

Presumably the same power that caused all those distractions when Paul decided to try to find Constantine which included dethroning Zeus.

19. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

A bit late (I've not been checking the boards regularly), but...

"DO IT, ROCKAPELLA!"

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

38, and getting older every day.

21. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    13:19 GMT

A small café, nearly empty in the off-season. The cafés in the Eastbourne area that were inside the local parks used to shut down completely, but I suppose that in centres of tourism like London they can justify staying open all year round.

"So, ah…" Alan looks around, but I certainly don't want to talk to the Demon and Dr. Balewa appears to prefer to leave him to his own devices. "Do you feel any more… Complete than you did before?"

"Damned if I know."

"So you do know?"

The Demon leans back in his metal chair, his face a picture of exaggerated nonchalance. "Not how it works. I won't know if I'm more complete until I have to live like him."

"Don’t get too comfortable. This is psychological counselling, not freedom. We're not helping you take over his life."

"'cept the bits he gave me."

"If you wanted to make a go of things with Ms. Ryan, I'd have been all for that, if you weren't an accessory to quite a lot of murder."

"Just like Blaze, then."

"Yours is a bit more recent. Though if you're asking to eat a Pomegranate of Good and Evil, I can make enquiries."

He goes to reply, then closes his mouth. Is he..? Actually considering it? John… John Constantine has an understanding of morality, even if he's prepared to be a ruthless bastard in how he goes about acting on it. I've never got the impression that the Demon does. He's what he was made: all ruthless self-hating bastard all the time. Even this trying to become more like John, he's doing because he believes that he's being denied something rightfully his.

"What other options are there?"

"What do you mean?"

"I met Chantinelle. Saw what you did to her."

"I'm all out of love crystal. Though if you want to volunteer to become a construct, I could probably square it with myself."

"Paul." Alan leans forward slightly to break line of sight between myself and the Demon. "I've been meaning to ask. Can I do something like that?"

"Not at present. Your personal lantern isn't designed to work like the Star Sapphire. You'd have to do a lot of meditation, learn to exist in the Honden, and.. probably contact Adara. Or you could talk to a maltusian about making a Blue Central Power Battery; I think I heard that Ganthet was interested in the other colours."

The Demon smiles. "I could help with… Adara, was it?"

I take a moment to look deeper in him. No, no real change.

"No, you couldn't. There's no hope in you. I doubt that she would even be aware of you, and as an Earthly demon you're stuck with the Earth's thaumosphere anyway."

"I've got the same cunning as John. You think I can't work out how to manipulate an elemental?"

"I think the very fact that you're asking like that disqualifies you. Doctor, why is he here?"

"If we are to enter the Tower of Fate unseen, it would help us to have one with free access with us."

Why would he give the Demon access even if-.

"Because they're the same person. You think that the wards can't distinguish between different John Constantines."

"It is not so simple. But it will be easier with him there than without."

"So… How are we doing this? Because the Tower's defences are pretty good. I'm confident that I could eat them eventually-."

"No, you could not. There are subtle uses of magic thet are well within John Quinn's abilities thet could be used to move the Tower to places you could not reach. Or use your own hunger to delude you, and draw you into a trep."

Alan nods. "So how're we going to do this?"

"The tower is accessible -in parts- through the Dream."

I nod. "I remember seeing a Dream Storm through a window in the library. And you think that we can get in that way?"

"With help, yes."

"I'm open-minded, but I might not be enthusiastic."

"I believe thet Sanderson Hawkins is most likely to be able to guide us through the Dream. Navigating thet place is… Not a simple matter."

"Why not Melinoë?"

"A god would draw attention, and her magic would make our passage harder."

"A couple of Sivanas?"

He regards me with an expression to scepticism on his face.

"I do not think thet showing them how to navigate the Dream is a wise thing to do. Thet is not a power I would trust to them."

"Okay. I haven't… Seen Sanderson for a while. Um."

"I have." Alan nods. "He's going okay, considering everything. I don’t know if he'll want to help with this, though."

"How about if we point out that-."

"I…" Alan shakes his head. "Don’t think he's ready for your… Ah, particular style of reasoning."

"Diplomatic. I appreciate it."

"How about I talk to him instead?"

"Thet may be wise, but if we are to be working together, it may be wise for Paul and Sanderson to become better acquainted."

"I'll behave."

Alan nods. "Okay, I guess that works. What about you?"

"Constantine and I will finish our work in London, and then I will prepare the spells needed to access the Dream."

"Why don't we just go through the gate in Tartarus?"

"Has John Quinn had cause to visit Erebos?"

"No, but it would be easy to check. I visit there quite often, and I doubt that anyone would lie to me if I asked. Besides, meditating until we access the Dream from the material universe just sounds like we'd be asking for someone to kill our real bodies while we're there."

Dr. Balewa nods.

"Then thet is what we will do."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'an'.

23. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

Demon Constantine must live quite a weird existence. I trying to imagine an intelligent being that what only works on desire, rage, fear, and 'love'. Actually, that sound more of a complete person than I thought.

24. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

Sounds like more of a complete person than me some days.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Still the most nonsensical change to canon in your entire story.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'a Blue'

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

So even odds on there being something going on in Tartarus that requires Paul's immediate attention?

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

This going to end with some spiritual therapy for John to finally accept himself and all versions merging, isn't it?

He really beeds it and, for the rest of the world, it would be like defusing multiple time bombs

30. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Be better off Perma killing Demon Constantine and merging the other two.