1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he was talking about the damned souls, not the demons.

2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The demons aren't the ones imprisoned in Hell - that's the souls of mortals who were sent there. The Dreams of the damned souls make the torments the demons make effective, is what Morpheus was saying there.

The demons, themselves, have no Dreams.

ChestBurster, Wetbananas and Vorian like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ah. I forgot about that, and I've got no idea what I planned. Let's say that he entered an alien thought process as a sort of memetic attack, but the Ophidian ate it.
    The line was really more of a metaphor.

4. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

Darko BR549
    Demons are still prisoners of hell though? I feel like I remember that being something mentioned previously and in DC.

Remember, unless Demons are summoned, for the most part they are trapped in hell. And Demons are nothing more than Human Souls who have been corrupted. Their origin is human. Unless, you know, the demon in question was a former Angel or a syncretized deity or something.

And even Demons suffer in hell, unless they exist at the top of the hierarchy. Even then, most of them, as seen with the Satanus stuff, have and would work to escape or have ways out and such and such when they can.

They still dream of something better. They still have hopes and desires, and all in all don't seem to have drifted really all that far from the baseline human experience.

Other than, you know, being able to feed off of darker acts and emotions, which DC Magicians have been able to empower themselves with previously too, so even humans seem to have that potential on some level.

Was it ever mentioned in DC that Demons were disconnected from the Dreaming all together? I mean, the metaphysics could always be different here, granted. But I don't ever remember the story going into why they wouldn't be able to connect to the Dreaming after transitioning into Demons.

The Endless and their Domains tend to be something greater, who touch basically everyone and everything in existence. And the number of beings not connected to them tend to be Lucifer level and up

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  5. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Into the Dream!

I have a feeling Morpheus will show up at some point anyway. But it sure looks like it will be a fun ride.

6. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm not sure about the metaphysics or the hierarchy regarding the Endless, but The Demon Constantine implied the the Demons' current situation of "not dreaming" is in part because of the debacle with Morpheus and because they, generally, don't sleep. I would assume that they have imagination, expectations, assumptions, aspirations and such, all thoughts connected in some way with the Dream. And the Dream itself might as well be the basis/origin of magic or magical entities in a more broad sense so, yes, the demons are in some way connected to the Dream. But they don't Dream the way mortal minds do, they are not generators of The Dreaming nor inhabitants nor dependants of it, I would assume.

And regarding demons being prisoners of Hell. Are we prisoners of Earth? To demons being in Hell is natural, that's their habitat, doesn't matter how shitty it might be to most. It's not like life is not shitty to a lot of people on Earth as well. The difference being that the Demons' main job/vocation is messing, preying on and taking advantage of us and we are on the mortal plane, so they obviously have to come here. And the same way we have to prepare to exit our planet, they have to prepare to exit their hellish plane of existance. At least, that's how I understand it.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm pretty sure Morpheus was specifically referring to the people getting punished in hell, not the demons doing the punishing.

ChestBurster, Vorian and Lord Ernest like this.
  8. Fallengamer13

Fallengamer13 Getting out there.

Speaking of hell, how are things going in heaven? I dont exactly remember any details about it after the whole incident with Smiley. Any interesting developments lately? More angelic superheroes?

Sorry for the trouble.

ChestBurster and kerleth like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's just a Zoat re-write.

10. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    17:06 GMT +3

My spear embeds itself in the upper torso of the first zombie I run into, and-. And I didn't think this through, because while the spear does its job and the zombie can't get any closer, it isn't de-animated by something as trivial as a pierced heart and bronchi. Alan's sword on the other hand slices neatly through the neck of his first opponent and is then free to slash the arm off another. Okay, bad choice. I shove the spear forward to push the impalee back into the mob, letting it go and replacing it with-.

I still think a sword is too short. Zombies like this are-.

Wait. Vodun zombies are living people with part of their soul removed. They're immune to pain but die from physical injuries like anyone else. These are-. These look like animated corpses-

With no weapon in hand I settle for shield-charging a group of zombies who are getting too close to Sanderson and Dr. Balewa, knocking them on their backs as Sandman II continues leading the way.

-but there's no one animating them and there's no spell bound to them. Animating a corpse using pure magic is hard. Usually, wizards would bind a spirit of some sort and have it pilot the body, but while Dream entities can gain consciousness-.

I pause, making eye contact with one of the more intact zombies.

"I apologise for my presumption, but are you an intelligent-?"

"Grhhhhhhhhhhhh…"

I look at her chest cavity while keeping a careful eye on the rest of the squad.

"Of course."

There's no orange light, but the tissues of her chest knit back together in response to my desire for wholeness and order and good health.

Alan stops suddenly, spotting what I'm doing and looking awkwardly at his sword.

"Wait, was I supposed to be doing that?"

"This is people's dreams of death. Death is a terrifying thing when you don't know what's going to happen. Amazons still don't like the Temple of Hades, much less actually coming to Erebos when they don't have to. So if this isn't a horror film, then these things are nightmare and not actual physical threats. Ma'am?"

"Cold."

I raise my right hand and a thick poncho appears draped over her shoulders.

"Lonely."

I form a floating gauntlet, grab another zombie and pull them in front of her.

"He looks nice."

She shambles a step closer and wraps her arms around the other zombie.

"Uuuuuuuuugh…"

Who awkwardly wraps his arms back around her.

"Dream zombies! Death isn't that bad! Souls are real! Your consciousness continues after your organic death! And I know that-"

The zombies are sort of shambling to a stop.

"-change is disconcerting, and unwanted change doubly so, but I think you could make a go of this place! Just think of all the fascinating stories the zombies around you have to tell!"

"Hungry."

"You don't have a stomach or lower jaw. How are you going to eat? That doesn't make any sense."

"Gahh?"

"Okay, fine, but this is a dream. If you want something to eat, there's probably something out there somewhere. Or you could just go back to sleep."

The entire crowd for as far as I can see has stopped.

"Okay! Excitement over!" I dismiss my shield and calmly and confidently walk over to where Dr. Balewa is looking suspiciously pleased with himself. "Doctor?"

"You are so disruptive thet your discordant nature spreads to the Dream. These are not people."

Alan looks around. "Well, no. But they're not zombies either?"

"People dream of dying and death. Their projected thoughts make this place."

"Not quite, but close enough. I suspect thet the Gate we used was created when Hades turned Erebos into an afterlife. He may hev drawn on this place to change Erebos's nature."

Alan nods. "So it's all like a test?"

"Test? No. But there will be ways to approach the place thet are not immediately obvious. Fighting would hev worked. Mister Hawkins?"

"Ah?" Sanderson tears his attention away from a zombie group hug. "Is it alright to leave them like this?"

"This is a dream, Mister Hawkins. We may share it, but once we leave only the themes will remain."

"So they..? Die? I mean, again? Or-." He frowns. "Wait."

"The term I hev heard used is 'amortal'. They do not live, and so cannot die. Any complex behaviour emerges from our minds and expectations." He smiles faintly. "Your concern for their wellbeing speaks well of you, but you do not need to fear."

Sanderson doesn't look either entirely happy or entirely convinced, but leads the way through the throng of hugging, poncho-wearing zombies. We're heading… Slightly downhill, though with the mist still high I can't tell what we're heading towards.

Alan dismisses his sword, though he keeps his shield. "Why did you pick a spear?"

"Better reach. And I thought that-. Well, you know how guns are a pain to enchant because they don't have the same length of history?"

He nods. "So you didn't think a gun would work."

"Except it-." / "Thet is not-."

Dr. Balewa nods to me, gesturing to me with an open right palm. "Continue. I am interested in your reasoning."

"The thaumosphere is slow to change. History counts for a lot. But in the Dream… Ideas and.. social transmission matter, but I.. imagine that it's far more closely related to what the people currently alive dream. So actually, a gun should work just fine."

"Thet is mostly true. The oldest Dream-creatures may refuse to acknowledge them, but against the Unknowable Dead it would have worked."

Sanderson frowns and then accelerates to a jog, the zombies falling behind and the land dropping-.

I hear water and that's a stream, Sanderson walking out onto a jetty.

"I found us a boat. That should take us to… Wherever's next."

The Demon folds his arms across his chest.

"Hope one of you can row. I smoke forty a day."

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"animating"

Cute.

Cutting back?

12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Look at Paul making Eris proud. BTW anyone else get the feeling Demon-Constantine is gonna try to absorb/consume Quinn?

13. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

Paul pulled a 'Warm Bodies' on the zombies. Nice.

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I think that was an homage to the Hellblazer story in which a ghost was asking people for hugs, and when refused froze them to death.

John gave the ghost a hug and the ghost moved on, leaving John fine physically.

Or as fit as he was before the hug, anyway.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, not the best choice against zombies, really. After all, Piercing weapons traditionally don't bother things that don't use their organs for living. Slashing damage, on the other hand, is much more useful, if at least by dismembering them...

Classic 'necromancy' zombies or 'evil science' zombies, then? The latter at least operate a bit like living people, besides a tendency to mutate.

Thinking too mundane, OL. This is a realm of metaphor and perception.

And if this were a regular RPG session, the DM would be groaning right now, along with the other players, at the 'quirky guy's antics. :D There's always one...

Hard to speak without lungs, after all. Or at least a working diaphragm.

Well, not classic D&D zombies, then. Healing effects deal damage to them due to being infused with Negative Energy (Healing being Positive Energy-based...)

Well, hard to go past your first inclination. I'm sure the ones you slashed up appreciate being taken seriously.

Now, You (and OL) might assume she's talking about being dead, but I choose to assume she's insulted by OL's reaction. You're not supposed to care about the zombie horde, dammit! :p

...Or she is really dedicated to playing her role. :oops:

Barring the bits of face missing. All those soft tissues that are first to go, after all, like the nose, ears and eyelids...

Oh, brother. Only OL could consider hugging therapy as a counter to zombies.

Background Zombie #1: "Oh, come on, mate, quit playing the arse. We're here to get chopped up! I quite enjoy getting an arm lopped off now and then!" :mad:

And the DM is just face-down behind his screen, rolling his head back and forth and making pained sounds... :p

Background Zombie #2: "Well, there's no need to point out my deficiencies, pal. Geez, rude much?" :rolleyes:

Background Zombie #3: "Well, it's no fun if you're not going to play along, you know..." :(

Background Zombie #1: "Oi! Watch the animatism! We have feelings too!" o_O

And no doubt many others like it. Not every culture or faith has the same vision of a place of stagnant death, after all. Just watch out for the ones based on DOOM. Messy places, those.

If it was, I suspect whether you passed or not is still up in the air...

Background Zombie #2: "Eh, there'll be another bunch along any minute now. Maybe they'll be into it. Or maybe we can get to dance this time! I like dancing!" :cool:
    Background Zombie #3: "But you've got two left feet." :confused:
    Background Zombie #2: "Hey, I can't help how I was sewn together!" :oops:

Think of them as actors playing out scenes. That's probably closer to their actual condition than anything.

Well, if he managed to do what Doctor Mist asked, you should hear the sound of water against a shoreline any time.

Unless you're an extremely powerful mage, with power to burn.

Eh, two of you are American, and Doc is quite aware of the power of a Gun, and especially it's imagery...

As long as you don't go for a flamethrower or something. Then not only are they chasing you, they're chasing you on fire.

So, you probably could have gone all 'Resident Evil' on them, then.

Unless something else has other ideas...

Isn't that less than what John usually worked through? :D At least one of you cares about your health.

Huh. That is not how I expected them to handle Zombies. And yet it made perfect sense, knowing OL. If any of the local personalities are watching them, I bet they're shaking their heads at his sort of lateral thinking. At any rate, best to be moving along before something nastier takes note of you. And there are some right scary blokes floating around the Dreaming, after all.

16. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

This sentence needs work, try:

"Alan stops suddenly, spotting what I'm doing and looks awkwardly at his sword."

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well unless you aim for the head.

Background Zombie #2: I can just as easily say that you're more likely to be impotent. How do you like that, you warm-bodied freak?

18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    also, maybe ‘this place’
    ‘hev’
    ’thought’

Interesting chapter. A neat way of dealing with zombies. I wonder if this place will stop existing at some point as people get more educated on the true nature of afterlives, or if Erebos will allow it to stick around.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Awww, zombie hugs. That lateral thinking is always appreciated.

ChestBurster, Vorian and TopHatWearer like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A whole chapter of LePaul just being wrong about everything.

This amuses me.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, have you ever read Soon I Will Be Invincible? I ask because I heard of it and what I have learned makes it seem like an interesting place for a version of Paul to end up in. Would it be possible for us to see this in the story?

23. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

What about the setting makes you think it would be interesting to see a version of Paul go there?

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The fact that the SI has read it, since he recalled Doctor Impossible in both timelines when the local versions introduced themselves. I'm interested in seeing how he'll interact with people knowing what they have/will do, at least in regards to the events in the novel, and if he can do anything about the literal mental disorder that turns people into evil geniuses.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  25. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    17:12 GMT +3

"I wonder if my college has a rowing team?"

Sanderson and I are getting into a rhythm, our oars going into the water together… Reasonably well. I've only had to stabilise myself with my ring once so far.

Alan leans a little towards him. "Shouldn't be too hard to find out."

"Wouldn't do you much good, though. Metahumans can't participate in official competitions."

"They can't? Why not?"

"What do you mean, 'they'?"

"Mean-?" He blinks. "Oh. Oh yeah. I guess that's-. I mean, magic counts?"

"The rules are a little vague about exactly what they cover, but I imagine that they would stretch to a man who could transform himself into sand."

"That doesn't seem fair. It doesn't make me any stronger."

"Do you get tired when you're made of sand?"

"I haven't really tested it out. Do you think I wouldn't?"

"Your sand body doesn't have any way to generate lactic acid, or… Any other chemical. Not that that necessarily means anything."

"Okay, I guess, but it's kind of obvious whether I'm made of sand or not."

"Sanderson, I know that you're a good guy, but the rules have to be written on the assumption that a certain number of participants won't be. Plenty of abilities don't have any obvious outward sign that they're in use."

The Demon slumps slightly in his seat. "None of you smoke, do you?"

"No." / "Not for sixty years." / "Aunt Dian wouldn't let me." / "No."

"You do all realise that none of you can get cancer, yeah?"

Alan shrugs. "I guess we've all got enough purpose in our lives that we don't need things like that."

"I wouldn't tempt me if I were you. Demons with purpose aren't exactly human-friendly."

He's not wrong there.

Hm. Hard to tell exactly how long we've been doing this for. The mist has gone, and we're in a river bed that's deep enough that I can't see over the bank-.

"Doctor, what's on the other side of the river banks?"

"Not a great deal. This is a travelling river. I imagine thet what surrounds us is the unformatted stuff of the Dream."

Alan frowns, straightening up slightly and peering to the left. "Is it safe?"

"It would not be wise to walk through it with your living body, but it will not hurt us here."

"If I did, what would happen?"

"It would be like being in a dream, except thet you would hev no external body to awaken into."

"Could someone get out?"

Dr. Balewa nods slowly. "Perhaps. If they were unusually self-possessed, or had someone to help them. Mister Hawkins, do you feel anything about our destination?"

"Doctor, I'm not really used to navigating by… By feel like this. I don't want to get everyone lost."

"Returning to the Gate of Horn and Ivory from a river like this is easy. Do not worry about getting us lost. As long as no one moves into the deep dream, I am confident thet I could guide our return journey myself. It is in navigating us in thet you are helpful."

"Okay, then I think we're coming up on something. But I don't-"

We all hear the rushing water, and I nod to myself.

"-know what-. Ah, that's bad, right?"

"I… Am not sure."

Dr. Balewa peers in the direction of our travel as the roar of water going over a waterfall gets louder.

"I do not believe thet it will be a problem, but if the Lanterns could-"

Lap bars, chain loops and grab rails appear on our boat, and life jackets materialise at our feet.

"-make certain-. Thank you."

The river bends, the bank blocking our view of the fall until-. Yes, there it is, the classical waterfall-from-nowhere. I swap my plate armour helmet for a diving helmet, and after a moment Alan does as well.

The Demon wraps ropes around each of his forearms. "Alright, Doctor. Anything we need to know?"

"It is probably too late to teach you how to swim."

The boat's picking up speed. We could probably reach the bank, but from what Dr. Balewa was saying there's nothing there.

"About the water."

"Despite the fact that it does not literally exist, I would not recommend breathing-"

The boat goes over the fall.

"-it-."

I'm braced, but-. What? I-.

There's a moment of disorientation as we go over, but then it's… Like we're sailing along a level river once more, the sky above us sort of twisting so that the dull night sky that accompanied us since we left zombie territory is replaced by-.

I close my eyes in an attempt to get my brain to stop hurting. Okay, it looked like a Middle eastern market from a couple of centuries ago drawn by Roger Penrose. Pathways link points that have no rational spatial relationship to one another, being at variance in place or orientation. People of various kinds walk freely at our plane, up walls and across ceilings. A few move at completely different angles, and some overpasses have people walking atop and beneath them.

"Ah, good. We hev arrived."

I open my eyes, and don't punch Dr. Balewa in the face.

"Oarsmen, please take us to the jetty. We will need to transfer here."

Sanderson and I look at each other for a moment, then carefully resume our strokes. I glance back and see that our drop-in point has vanished. The jetty's not far away, but we're one of the smaller boats on the water and we're not good at delicate manoeuvring.

"Do you recognise where we are, Orange Lantern?"

"Yes, Time Trapper mentioned it. Caliph Haroun al Raschid made a deal with Morpheus to preserve his realm forever. I assume that this is it."

"Yes. We will seek passage onwards from here, and gather supplies for our task. But be on your guard: not all things here are what they seem."

No. Really?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  26. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

I'm so used to Paul being distracted from Constantine, I had to take a second to remember The Demon was part of him and not another distraction.

27. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm not sure how many care, but in the comics Sandy is actually a silicon instead of carbon based life form in "human form."

Maybe it was watching Star Trek as a kid, but I've always liked seeing that kind of thing in fiction.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not a bad workout. Pity you don't get to see where you're going, only where you've been. I'm surprised they're having to row, though, given that a river flows. Though that would be metaphorically giving themselves up to the whims of the current... Whereas rowing implies purpose, and progress towards a destination.

Doesn't mean it's not good exercise. Even if he only acts as an extra during training sessions or the like...

Right, still reluctant to acknowledge his empowered aspects.

I expect the number one no-no would be super-strength and/or super-speed. Just on pure mechanical advantage.

I'd make a crack about the ladies liking that, but that would imply sand in places sand should never be. :oops: Ow.

His humanity is largely in his head. Don't ruin it for him, OL.

And I'm suddenly reminded of Asterix comics where Obelix the mighty is rowing. Picture a rowboat hopping along like a rabbit, if you can't picture it.

Good, it's a terrible habit addiction.

No headier high than the adrenaline of fighting for the right thing.

Yes, you've had to beat the spit out of a few, OL.

If the river is a metaphor for travel, I'd be surprised if there were anything beyond a treeline.

...Define safe. I wouldn't go poking around, though.

I imagine it would be very painful...

Well, that's not terrifying at all, nosirree...

So... Pretty much any Lantern, then. Especially a Greenie, who could just determination their way through.

Something good, or something bad? Or is he too inexperienced to tell the difference?

...Because there's always rapids or a waterfall. Representing unexpected obstacles.

Just remember: don't pay the ferryman, not until you reach the other side.

Nice work, Alan. He's probably the most powerful member of the party here, what with the ties between hopes and dreams...

You know, just in case.

I appreciate the levity, doc, but now's not the best time.

Well, he's probably right. Ever had a dream where you're cruising around underwater?

...And then they find themselves sailing straight down with no problem, because gravity is subjective here.

Right then, a narrative shortcut. Yay for metaphors.

Something a bit like this, then? But with a bit of kaleidoscopic tessellation?

Congratulations on your restraint, OL. It seems he's a bit of a troll in his old age.

'Not good', you say. Any other boats at the docks might have harsher words.

As told here, in the story 'Ramadan'. They've, quite literally, entered a city in a bottle.

But in this place, that goes doubly so, since it's a distillation of the sort of things you'd see in '1001 Arabian Nights'.

And so the scene shifts, into the sort of magical Arabian city you'd have seen in Disney's 'Aladdin'. Let's hope they can dodge the swindling merchants and lurking thieves long enough to find their way on to their next stop. Wonder if they'll pass through another little private patch of the Dreaming as they go? Fiddler's Green, perhaps, as one of the more benevolent loci...

As the wiki writes it, that's 'Haroun', unless OL is misremembering...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    You have no idea how long it took me to realise that they had one small set and just had her walk on from different directions.

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ‘thet’
    ’hev’

It’s interesting that Sanderson is apparently immune to cancer. Does that mean that he undergoes some sort of healing when he transforms, or that his seemingly-normal body is actually still unusual in some way?