1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Comma instead of semicolon.

Also, excessive cynicism. But I doubt you'd correct that. :p

Usually hyphenated, sometimes one word.

I was going to say "usually far-sighted" but I looked it up and it's "long-sighted" in British English.

2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Unless you’re a xianxia character, haha.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Fallengamer13

Fallengamer13 Getting out there.

Well...ive tracked down my old password for a chance to speak here. So here we go.

Ive spent abit of time reading the threadmarks to this story and i'm liking it quite abit especially all of the "Variants" of paul throughout the omniverse ( i think thats the right term) (except i dont read renegades, Tangseids and sybarite because of their actions.), though i have to wonder on what things if or will appear that hasn't been tvtroped "word of god". Specifically I've been wondering on if the Paragons will be meeting with Peter Wynne of Earth 12 at some point due to shenanigans, the current history and fate of the Doom Patrol without Garth, the Metal Man, and some future variants.

Like a Variant coming from the dimension of JL:Gods and monsters(who is dealing with the weird hero and villains screwing up with his meta knowledge), A variant in the DCEU (Who immediatly teams up with Shazam to avoid the edge), a variant in the DCAMU(who tries to prevent the events of Dark Apocalypse after a partial turn into a parademon/one winged demon and furiously trying to deny his knowledge going into the parademon HiveMind), A variant in the Arkhamverse(who also uses his ring to an supervillan and the variant becoming a batman esque hero to retrieve it before everything goes to hell), A variant in the Gargoyles/Atlantis universe(becoming a glass cannoon in that verse due to all the magic flying about) and finally A variant in the Doom Patrol tv series that acts like the Department of Commonsense Paul but of the more "only sane guy" on the team with all the wackiness.

Any thoughts on these concepts mr Zoat? If so just reply on your own time for my surprise. If not no worries.

Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  5. Mr Zoat

What did Sybarite do?
    Yes, but it's right near the end.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    Not really. I don't remember whether or not power rings even exist in that setting, and to keep in theme the SI would probably have to be replaced with... Someone I know from work or something.
    That's the live action films, right? Next 1st of April has the Renegade visit them.
    That's the SI with the angel wings.
    The Arkham games setting doesn't really go into detail about what the heroes with actual superpowers are up to. With a planet to chose from I can't see any reason for one of my SIs to go anywhere near the place.
    Is that the Gargoyles animated series?

Darn. There's a trailer for a game starts the casting process for a spell, tries to brush off a red dot on his robes and then then gets shot in the head that I wanted to put in here, but I can't find it. High tier magic might exist in Gargoyles, but it's rare enough that most people aren't aware that it even exists.
    I don't like characters like Mr. Nobody. Also, there's no obvious reason for the SI to associate with the cast.
    I'll survive.

Incidently, Youtube suggests some very strange things when you try to look up the Simpsons episode Moe's Baby Blues. Just a polite warning.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There was supposed to be a season two of Gods and Monsters that would have introduced the local equivalents of Mary Marvel, Green Lantern, and Steel, but it got cancelled.

So who knows what they would have been.

Windona likes this.
  7. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC someone actually asked you about this previously and you responded by saying you'd probably put your grandfather in if you ever did a segment on it.

mastermenthe and Ardy like this.
  8. Fallengamer13

Eh, im just not liking horndog characters but thats my personal preference in general and not a fault in your writing at all.

Oh, well that'll be interesting. Lets see..200 odd some episodes before the end, each episode taking around 20 parts to complete and an part a day means...4000 days until the completion or 11 years for this to happen......damn. well thats going to be a while. Wonder if I'll be married by then?

I was just wondering what the doom patrol is doing on earth? I cant remember when they got decimated but it was either in the gap between season 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Anywho just wondering if you'll be doing anything involving them. The same with the metal men.

From the design of the green lantern it looks like they have a power rangers esque suit on a earth 12 martian body. Maybe some hybrid Green Lantern/Martian Manhunter. But hey, thats good to hear.

.....oh dear god.

Angel wings? You mean the suicide squad one? Huh.

Apparently the Suicide Squad: Kill the justice league game is in the Arkham verse after Arkham Knight. The only time i saw a super powered superhero in the Arkhamverse was in the canon comics with Superman meeting Bruce after the events of City, hoping to help him with the League but Bruce telling him to stay out of Gotham with his Reputation as Batman being shakey and not wanting it to effect the League.

Ok, fair enough....also what is that reference by the way?

Ok that answers my previous question earlier. I won't ask about mr. Nobody, but I'm surprised Paul isn't having a talking to with the league on the Fact Niles Caulder MADE the incidents that turn the doom patrol into what they are and not getting any comeupance. Same with Mento's attitude with Elastigirl. But hey, not my story and I'll respect whatever the end result is.

A warning? Oh I'm sorry, im pretty bad at getting social cues. Im sorry if i was offensive or did a derailment. I'll just comment on the current story and not future things.

Sorry for the trouble.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I remember Mr Zoat saying that his sister would be the one in the Gods and Monsters world, though I can't find the quote.

I was hoping the Renegade would visit the Teen Titans, since you mentioned that would happen after some accident in trying to recreate X'Hal. Hopefully the Justice League of that world won't immediately try to kill the Renegade when he shows up.

10. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Admittedly, Renegade wouldn't be too out of place in the DCEU. Now if he was in Miraculous Ladybug, it would be a bit like how he goes to Equestria.

...have we seen an SI in Batman the Brave and Bold?

RamiroGalletti and Ardy like this.
  11. Fallengamer13

Oh please god no. Besides Code Lyoko, thats one of the few french original based animations i know and like.

Though i do admit liking the idea of Life meeting The Miraculus would be a funny skit.

No...not to my knowledge. Its where i first heard of the metal men now that i think about it.

Though with how crazy things get plus Bat-mite Scoob-mite and ambush bug being there it will be difficult for si to not get noticed. (Apparently Scooby doo is canon with brave and the bold, if not dc in general. Really weird to see them rescue danny the street in a kids comic. Not to mention scooby becoming the spectre and shaggy a Yellow Lantern.)

Ardy likes this.
  12. Windona

Reminder that Miraculous Ladybug has a Superman and a Batman expy, and they're implied to be a lesbian couple.

Yeah, I learned a lot of obscure characters from BtBaB. And it's implied Batman actually incorporated other tech to get his gear.

Ardy likes this.
  13. Stsword

Batman and Scooby Doo have had 3 crossovers I am aware of.

Not counting Scooby Doo Team Up which had numerous crossovers with DC and Hanna-Barbera Cartoons.

Actually, it would seem that Young Justice is canon to Scooby Doo

[​IMG]

So that's Cassie, Artemis, Zatanna, and Megan watching wrestling on TV in Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery.

YJ people were in the crew of that Scooby Doo movie so they apparently felt like throwing in a cameo.

14. Fallengamer13

So...Keep Sinestro away from The gang or he'll use Scooby and Shaggy as a personal battery. Or let him get close and have scoob and shag steal his ring like in the comic....ohh choices.

Would that mean Scrappy is a red lantern?

RamiroGalletti, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He was warning you that weird things come up if you search that thing on youtube, you didn't do anything wrong.

16. Fallengamer13

I dont remember mentioning the simpsons so i dont know how we got here... you know what im just gonna start a blank slate on my reply here so we can move on.

So..is there even going to be friendly Scarabs in the future?

17. Windona

Whispering KDRA, KDRA, rise of the KDRA...

Of course, Khaji Da already exists. Doesn't like the Reach, but doesn't really like others yet.

18. Fallengamer13

So....he's Kon but with a Scarab. But my simplification skills are really bad so we'll ignore that.

Im surprised Mogo and Mother of Mercy aren't socializing being the few planetary sentient beings in the DC. Im not saying they should date mind you. But it would be interesting to see them becoming pen pals or some such. Maybe start looking for other planets with sentience? Eh, its just a Drabble i came up with but it could be funny seeing Paul overhearing their coversation but coming to horribly wrong conclusion on their relationship and going all out to hook them up, but them only wanting to be friends.

19. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    17:02 GMT +3

We step through-.

Huh. Morbid.

The area on the far side is a dark graveyard in the faux-gothic style, something I can easily imagine being sited on the outskirts of Sunnydale. The headstones vary in age, some clean white stone with the blurred-out names the only incongruous point. Others are chipped and lichen-covered, or bound by vines. The mausoleums are mostly the same, though a few have active braziers either at the front or hanging from the roof. A fine mist hangs in the air, obscuring our vision. A few stars in the sky, a faint… Smell of rot-.

Not found. Error.

Well I can smell it… Or just think I can smell it, because this is a dream I'm walking through and not a place with actual chemicals.

Next to me, Sanderson takes his hat off and holds it to his chest.

"Thet is not necessary. This is a dream of a graveyard, from the shared unconscious mind of humanity."

The Demon looks around, apparently quite interested. "Been a while."

Alan frowns. "You've been here before?"

"No. Demons can't dream. Or sleep, unless we're possessing someone. John gave me a few of his memories, but he never came somewhere like this as a demon." He closes his eyes and inhales through his nose. "I think I can smell him."

"He has seen enough death thet I would not be surprised if he dreams of it frequently. If you find those dreams, you could feed on them without causing harm."

"I assume that you've considered the possibility that Morpheus might notice us?"

"Minor intrusions into his realm are frequent. If we do not act against those under his protection or threaten the whole of the realm, he is unlikely to act against us."

"Morpheus? That's the guy who told you-" Sanderson glances my way. "-to look for me, right? The one who sent Wesley his visions?"

"I'm not sure if he actively sent them, or just enabled the process. He is the guy who sent me after you though, yes."

"So do I owe him, or does he owe me for not calling someone sooner?"

"I wouldn't press the issue. If he felt like you owed him, he'd say something."

"Doctor Mist?" Alan's looking around cautiously. "Is this actually a dream about death, or a dream of a horror movie?"

"It should be true death, at least for now." He looks around, and leads the way into the mist, the rest of us cautiously following him. "Places in the Dream are defined by their conceptual relationships, not geography. A truly skilled dream rider could step between the weakest conceptual links from a single sleeper, but none of us have thet skill."

The Demon sneers. "Don't have the drugs, more like. Human brains aren't made for stuff like that."

"How about demons?"

"Even worse. After that stuff those idiots tried with the key, we're actually on his shit-list. And like I said, we can't dream, so we can't come here naturally." He shrugs. "It's the difference between 'you can, but you'll go mad' and 'you can't do it at all'."

Off in the distance, from somewhere out of sight, I hear a crow cawing.

"The Gate of Horn and Ivory stabilises the connection between these two points. We need to get some distance away before the Dream will be flexible enough to allow us to change our location."

"And then we go from concept to concept until we reach the Tower?"

"No. There is no direct path from the Dream to the Tower. When we are in position, we will need to make our owen."

Alan frowns at a nearby… Open grave, a shovel planted in the ground next to a heap of earth. "Are we gonna get attacked?"

"Almost certainly."

"In that case, I-."

An actual tower shield appears on his left arm. There's a.. slight glow around the edges, but nothing more than there would normally be from his environmental shield. He drops his arm for a second before raising it back up again.

Alan hefts it slightly, then peers over the rim to give Dr. Balewa an interrogative look. "You mind explaining this?"

"We are in the Dream. If you call upon a shield, you get the dream of a shield. The strength of it will be more closely related to the degree to which it fits in with the environment than the strength of your emotion."

"How does that interact with my actual armour, or other equipment?"

"Unless they are intensely magical, I do not think thet they will work well against dreams."

Alan and I make eye contact, and then we're both wearing plate armour.

"I'll take it."

I add a boar spear while Alan creates an arming sword.

"Do you actually know how to use that?"

"It's amazing what you pick up as a superhero. You stick the sharp end in the other fellah, right?"

"Ah… Doctor?" Sanderson hefts his gun, hat back on his head. "What do I do?"

"Your gas is based on dreamstuff. If the thing you shoot can sleep, it will work. Otherwise, I suggest your fists. Ah." He stops and looks around. "I believe that we can transition from here. If we-."

CRACK!

The door of one of the nearby mausoleums explodes open, three tattered corpses shambling out with glowing green eyes! From other graves hands thrust through the ground, the earth around them bulging!

"Yes, we are far enough away. Mister Hawkins, hold in your mind the idea of a flowing river carrying boats to their destination."

"Aaaahh… Okay?"

"Uuuuuuuuugh…"

"Do you feel drawn in a particular direction?"

"Uh, maybe? I think?"

"Go." He stamps his right foot on the ground and then steps back. A moment later a creature of rock and soil swims its way to the surface in time to intercept the first wave of the undead. "We shall follow."

Alan and I charge the horde and Sanderson starts jogging.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  20. Mr Zoat

Yes. I got videos on people with horrible insect injuries or where the roof of their mouth was made of teeth.

Moe's Baby Blues is an episode of the Simpsons where Moe has the line, 'I'd prefer that you push me... seeing how I'm desperate for any human contact.'

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"sent"

Yeah, he can be pretty petty.

22. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Shouldn't they have gone over this before they entered the Dreaming?

Bramble Thorn and Silveraith like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Thet’
    This sentence is malformed, but I don’t know what it’s supposed to be.
    I don’t know if you usually do this, but since ‘at’ has the same sound as ‘that’ it should be ‘et’
    ‘thet’
    ‘no’ or ‘not a’
    ’own’

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Wonder if the blurry names is because text in dreams is said to be nonsensical gibberish? As for the graveyard, I half expected Cain to be hanging about in his capacity as a narrator. Because atmosphere.

And in this place, thought counts for far more than more physicality.

Just hope it's not the horror movie kind, with a lurking murderer, or the zombie movie kind, with the inevitable walking dead.

Gods only know what he might have been up to, besides 'no good'.

Though you'd have to be very careful, depending on Dream's mood at the time.

With any luck, he's lurking in his castle bemoaning his latest failed love affair...

Given his imprisonment at the time, I doubt he played much of an active part in forming the connection.

Treat him like the scariest fey you've ever imagined. Be polite, be honest, and try to leave as soon as possible.

Which means some kid having a horror movie-triggered nightmare has had it shift into a very strange dream involving superheroes. For a few moments, anyway.

Not for long, anyway. The story of that one old girlfriend of John's that had Morpheus' Pouch of Sand is a good example.

Probably just a regular dream crow. I doubt Dream's Raven companion has any reason to stick their beak in.

Assuming they can find a gateway. In the meantime, some folks are going to be having a weird flicker in their dreams soon.

Because Alan's seen more than a few horror movies, and knows the tropes, huh?

Heh. Not surprised constructs of thought and emotion take on a more solid form than they usually would.

And unless this is a D&D player dreaming of Ravenloft, he's gonna stick out a bit.

Well, looks like OL went from tanky rogue to squishy wizard.

...That works. And another Kingdom Come nod, eh, with Alan in full plate. :D

Smart move. Boar spears have those handy cross-bars on the head, to stop a half-ton of angry porcine muscle from getting too close while impaled. Could be useful around here.

...Think 'spooky' and 'stealthy'?

Whoops, the DM just rolled up a random encounter!

Welp, looks like they are in a gamer's dream. Or a zombie movie.

Ah, zombies, such masterful conversationalists... :rolleyes:

Well, then. Get moving!

And now we've gone from superhero story to fantasy RPG session. Yay.

And the strangeness dial is being cranked up as we speak. I'd say it's only at a seven or so right now. I'm sure it'll keep going, though, all the way to eleven. The Dreaming is a place for strange and fascinating imagery in the comics, and I have no doubt Mr Zoat will try to replicate that in these chapters. We can but hope the ride is a fun one. :D

...braziers either at the front or hanging from the roof.
    I'm guessing that was meant to be 'feed'?
    Was that intentional for his accent, or..?

Alan hefts it slightly, then peers over the rim...

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yay, more weird conceptual stuff!

I'm looking forward to the weirdness :)

Also, "When we are in position, we will need to make our owen."

Owen?

ChestBurster and mastermenthe like this.
  27. Stsword

Or Elvira. She also likes to narrate and was the hostess of the House of Mystery in DC.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I have a question regarding something I've been mildly curious about for a while. Way back in episode 24, after Paul got his ring back from Truggs, there was a throwaway line in which he said that he couldn't access some files Truggs left on his ring. I was wondering if Paul was ever going to access those files, or if he already did off-screen and it just turned out to be Truggs porn stash or something.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  30. AR760

AR760 Experienced.

This seems...odd. I feel like I remember reading in either Sandman or Lucifer a scene where Dream/Morpheus essentially responded to the threats of Lucifer and claims of Dream being powerless with a line that implies something of the opposite.

The line being something along the lines of..."What power would Hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?"

So hearing that Demons for some reason are fundamentally incapable of dreaming feel weird. What's up with that?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022