1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because he may need the help of the locals for this mission and he doesn't want to piss them off by not treating their god or their religious figures with respect.

kyomei93, Cuchulin, Istaran and 4 others like this.
  2. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Deferential. Differential, were it a word, would be willing to pick a fight.

And it's probably utilitarian - 'peace be upon him' is a cultural touchstone for Muslims, not just a religious observance. It costs Paul little to nothing to be polite, and prevents getting in a nasty mess of situations.

Edit: No, wait, a differential is part of the suspension system in automobiles. I think. I'm not a mechanic!

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though if it isn't fatal then he may commit more crimes.

This is bad and you should feel bad.
    I don't think he has, but his name may be known around there.

He can really let his belief in people's better natures, or at least smarter natures, get to him.

Just look at Luthor.

Vorian, Ngamer11 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Seal of Solomon that allowed for the command of demons was a magical ring that just so happened to be engraved with that sigil, not the sigil itself.

Even assuming you change it so it's the sigil itself that is magical though. It would be a sigil that lets it's possessor control demons. Not a sigil you put on demons to control them.

So basically put... Mr Zoat once more did not do his research.

5. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

There's a saying in Spanish that the Devil is wise not because he's the Devil but because he's old.
    I believe Dr. Mist just demonstrated that.

6. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

It actually means distinctive as an adjective and difference as a noun. For example, the thing that makes an over inflated balloon pop is pressure differential. The difference in air pressure inside the ballon compared to outside being too high.
    Or he’s just obviously powerful to whatever wizard eyes that guy has.

Vorian, mastermenthe and Khettien like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Isn't the Queen in the London Containment Zone?
    He's being polite to his host when there's an advantage in doing so and no real reason not to be.

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Neither. He's demanding his entire inventory, ill gotten or paid for legitimately.

And for anyone curious, Zoat got this binding Demon Constantine with the Seal of Solomon directly from the Thousand and One Nights story "The Fisherman and the Jinni."

You know the story of a fisherman finding a bottle and opening it and the Jinni is all "Okay, mortal, how do you want to die?"

It was the power of the seal placed on the cap that kept the jinni in the bottle.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘if’?
    Extraneous ‘that’
    ‘an Imam’
    ‘thet’
    ‘hev’
    ’thet’

Even if I didn’t like Dr Mist as a character, I’d still enjoy chapters he’s in just for the corrections of his accent.

10. Mr Zoat

That might be the original origin. I got it from Hellblazer, where John has it tattooed onto his skin.
    Thank you, corrected.

kyomei93, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  11. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Um...
    Not just putting the hinges on the unsecured side, but also the door opening out means it's a lot easier for opponents to block it and trap you inside. You want the hinges in the secure side, but you also want the doors clearance area on the secure side. Both for the same reason, so you're the one in control of it and not your opponents.

Did someone give OL bad advice, or did he misremember?

You mean Vaermina is a lying liar who lies?

Well I'm sure he will acknowledge his 'mistake' and retract his statement like a decent person.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Why not both?

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Maybe some of that synchronicity wave BS that Constantine does?

14. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Bwahaha, I love Dr. Mist. It's clear that this man has been around the block and knows how to play the game.

Agreed on the portrayal of the different systems: Alan of course thinks his system is best, but there are advantages to the Caliph's system as well.

15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, Ziz was driven off before London needed to be quarantined. The old girl is fine.

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And one day pigs will fly.

ChestBurster, Assblaster5000 and Ardy like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Good show.

I imagine it would depend on how much time he was spending in Britain, and whether that's where the fight happened. Given that as far as I know the UK government isn't especially bad in Worm he'd probably be all for it.

18. Ardy

Very helpful, thank you.

ChestBurster likes this.
  19. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I'm guessing it's more like "create a temporary path of peaceful dreams to suppress the storm".

Gods are far away; caliphs are right here. And talk is cheap.

20. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

It could also just be that Paul has become less of an asshole over time.

21. Ardy

It's more like a flow chart, peaks and valleys.

22. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

A differential is also a math related term!

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Vae... He did his research -- research of Hellblazer canon, not real-world mysticism. One of these things is more relevant to a story in this setting than the other...

Lord Ernest and Vorian like this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hellblazer didn't make it up.

The Seal of Solomon was a "seal, stamp, or die," it's a signet ring.

As in one pressed it in wax or clay or something and then placed the seal impressions on paper or whatever.

Like in the tale of the Fisherman and the Jinni.

In Arabian Nights, Sindbad has a cup with the Seal of Solomon engraved on the bottom of the cup, because that's something they did back in the day.

You can buy a Seal of Solomon protective amulet right now on Amazon.

25. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    18:58 GMT +3

The Demon Constantine struggles against the magic ropes binding him as we approach the storm on Roc-back.

"Bit excessive, innit?"

"No." / "I don’t think so." / "No." / "No."

I hold out my fig jar to him. He looks at it, then up at my face, then tries moving his right arm, which is bound to his chest by magic ropes.

I grin, then pull the jar away and take a fig for-. Oh, they left the wasp in it!

Two claps from the royal palanquin, and we turn to give our attention to the Caliph.

"I am certain that this event will be memorable, whatever occurs. Still, I would be interested to hear how you plan to cross the storm before you are utterly unmade by its wrath."

"It is true. The spell thet I hev been using to get us this far will soon end. I am-."

"What spell?"

Because I don't remember seeing him cast anything, and even if he did some combination of my spell eater and tattoos should have dealt with it by now. Or at least provided some sort of warning.

"Orange Lantern, I am disappointed. Where are we?"

"The Dream, which… Has certain totemic forms which exist beyond the minds of individual dreamers, but I don't see how that's… The city."

He smiles. "Ah, you were paying attention. Good."

"The city has more tightly defined rules than the Dream in general. Which means that it can be manipulated into pushing us into advantageous positions."

"A Caliph, receiving honest but unwelcome advice from a mad prophet."

"I'm not a prophet. I never got higher in the Silver City than the Angel Kings. And they didn't give me any sort-."

"You've-!" The Caliph's eyes are wide, but he masters himself immediately. "Do you mean to say that you have visited the City of Heaven?"

"Sort of. Allah wasn't there in any special way. As I understand it, the gardens around the city are where the souls of the righteous monotheistic dead go to begin the process of shedding their egos so that they can join with God." I shrug. "It's not really my thing. They had to murder and abduct me to get me there, and I left as soon as I could."

The Caliph smiles. "That must be a story! In the unlikely event that your soul is not torn asunder, I bid you return to my city as my guest and share it."

I shrug. "Alright. Time allowing. Is it alright if I bring a guest?"

"By all means."

Excellent! It'll be nice to have a non-working date lined up next time Jade is available.

"Though I'm not sure how that helps us get through the storm."

Dr. Balewa reaches over and takes my fig jar, removing a single fig before passing it to Alan. "Each of us must eat one."

"A conceptual link by a single fruit?" I frown. "Seems a bit weak."

"Heroes sharing food before setting out on the final part of their quest." Alan takes a fig before passing the jar to Sanderson. "The difficulty is thet from the point of view of the city, our part in its story is complete. The magic may well be satisfied with us dying, so long as we do so out of sight."

"Hence you nudging me to bring up the Heaven thing. Alright, but that still doesn't get us through the storm."

Sanderson looks at the bowl, then takes a fig. "I think I've got an idea. Storms are made up of irrationality, aren't they? So there used to be more to every bit of the storm than is there now. And since we've got all these dream gourds with us, we might be able to attach these dreams to what's there."

"Good." Dr. Balewa nods. "Good. Of course, thet will not work, but it is a logical suggestion."

"Well, gosh darn it."

"The chance thet we would gather every dream whose irrationality became part of a primordial storm is astronomically low. No, we will be taking advantage of The Demon Constantine's command of chaos magic."

"I'm not that good-."

Alan ignores him, nodding slowly. "Is that why he's got the ropes?"

"Indeed. We will be pouring every one of these dreams into him."

"What?"

"All of them?"

Dr. Balewa nods. "Yes."

"What?"

"His aim will be to create a chaotic mess of mental imagery such as will allow him to connect to whatever of the storm's winds thet blow against us. If he is successful, and we are in constant motion, thet should be enough to create a short lived path through the storm."

The Demon's eyes are wide with astonishment. "Maybe, you crazy fucker, but I still won't know where I'm going! I'll be blind and deaf and high as a fucking kite on all that dream essence!"

"Thet is where Sandman comes in. He will need to use his Dream-granted foresight to bring us to the tower along the path thet The Demon will make."

"And that will work?"

"Thet can work. I will be using my owen abilities to help things along, but we are covering entirely new ground. I will hev to write a report for the Conservatory of Sorcery."

Alan looks unsettled. "If we survive."

"As you say."

Sanderson moves his mask enough to eat a fig. He then does so with a definite lack of enthusiasm. "What'll it be like?"

"The pathway will be both a pathway and a series of linked ideas and dreams. To move between them will require both constant movement and a constant change of thoughts as we comply with the tone of each Dream. There is nothing quite like it which can be experienced." He smiles. "I am looking forward to it."

"Because you're so old that new experiences are rare?"

"Ah, no. Since I hev joined the Justice League, I hev had a new experience at least once a week. Whatever reservations I hev about the organisation, thet, I do not regret. No, this is really more the first time I hev truly stretched myself with new magic in longer than I can recount."

He stands as the wall of the outskirts of the storm approaches.

"And now, the gourds."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nice to see Mist experiencing new things.

"did, some combination"

But you are mad.

27. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

More like slightly peeved and mildly eccentric.

28. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Sander? Also, did he eat two figs because he likes them, or is that first one supposed to be someone else?

29. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Oh, goody. Dr. Mist is doing original research to breach the Tower. This can only end in tears...for someone.

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

For a slippery leech like you? I don't think so. And I'm sure Doctor Balewa has a very firm connection to these bindings, too. After that close call in Dream-Baghdad, I'm sure OL, Alan and Sanderson will be on their guard now too.

Hey, don't expect him to feed you, Demon. He reserves that privilege for his lady.

Well, extra protein! And yes, the wasp is a thing with Figs: it plays a part in the fertilization and fruiting of the bushes.

Oh, that's what he was up to back in the city. Playing the part of 'the wise mentor who leaves the party to attend to his own business, then returns when needed...' Though I doubt he plans to play the 'sacrificial mentor' card anytime soon.

And if it was too subtle for them to notice? He is an expert wizard, after all.

And the good Doctor can weave the threads of Narrative to his advantage upon such a loom.

In this case, the gourds from the merchant's collection, and the watchful gaze of the Caliph.

What, not upset by being called mad? Ah, but 'We're all mad here' of course. Anyone using a Ring has to be a little off.

And it's not like you had time to sightsee, anyway...

Ah, avoiding the Narrative of 'my work is done, I should go.' and promptly dying.

Man, other women hearing her stories must be super-jealous... If they can believe them...

Just one, or can they snack? :p

As long as it isn't a last supper, anyway. Because stories can be cruel that way.

Hmm... Wanna take over, Old Luke?
    "Amazing. Every word you just said was wrong."

Hey, don't be hard on yourself. When 50,000 years old you are, as wise shall you be, hmm?

...I don't think he was planning on letting you actually do anything of your own volition, Demon-boy.

...Okay, this is going to be good. How even...

Well, get ready to open wide, Demon... And hope they're not being supplied in suppository form. :oops:

Okay, seriously, when did the Tenth Doctor show up? :p

...So, they're going to be using him... Like an Icebreaker for the storm?

Great, so Sanderson's now a tugboat. :rolleyes:

Hey, aren't you supposed to be the hopeful one? :confused:

Seriously, modular mask with a movable mouthpiece. Your skin will thank you.

...I swear, if this turns into a scooby-doo chase scene through the storm... :D

Well, at least one of them is enjoying himself...

So, then. One last obstacle to be cleared, then the Tower heist truly begins. And this one is going to be a real doozy of a trip. Especially for the Demon Constantine. So, grab your popcorn or Malteasers for tomorrow's chapter, and let the fun begin. ...As long as that definition of fun includes, running, screaming and praying, I suspect. :D