1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should probably get the Cult of Taal and Rhya involved too. While they may despise mutants like most other Cults of The Empire, I could see quite a few them delighted by the idea of stealing from The Ruinous Powers....

2. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

'or'

3. thatguy3367

thatguy3367 Know what you're doing yet?

Now a lot more are gonna try now that someone got away with no punishment.

4. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

I'm a big WHFRP and WH40K fan since the 90s and one day I would really like to read the whole story of Paul arriving and changing the Old World.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  5. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Did Paul, or whatever this variant is called, not introduce modern hygiene? Why that seems like an easy thing for him to fix?

6. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Retraining in-home habits is a NP-hard problem. Even if he Branded folks... well, that might do it anyways, but still, mideavil hygiene was already modern hygiene, all they needed was plumbing and running water and they already know how to do the rest, even toothbrushing is an ancient practice, only made uncommon in that era by lack of appropriate plant life in a given area.

Razorfloss and Bud-E like this.
  7. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Soap is also something that people already know how to make. The real question becomes if the village in question bothers due to all sorts of other factors.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Because plumbing on a coast with no infrastructure and little idea how to get that infrastructure is hard.

9. Karmic Acumen

Karmic Acumen The long-suffering one

Septic tank + wetlands in the back yard (network of punctured pipes covered with soil to leak the liquid out into the ground). Problem solved.

10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

How far is the nearest coast? Norscan longboats get everywhere.

11. Osserumb

Osserumb Getting sticky.

12. Mr Zoat

Ah, but I'm a 4th Edition player. In my day, chaos warbands were mostly local corruptees. The Norse are ruled by Erik Redaxe, and have mostly rejected the Gods of Chaos for the Aesir.
    The SI doesn't know that, and the Dwarfs generally avoid swamplands.

13. Ganurath

Oh. Oh. Your portrayal of the Chaos Gods as ineffectual yet persistent irritations makes more sense, now. You've not been keeping up on the lore.

IsActuallyBatman and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. Karmic Acumen

I guess his ring doesn't have a database. The first chapter was so long ago, I can't recall if he had any tech data or not.

15. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Isn't the Ring capable of reversible tube tying? It definitely should be.

16. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I think the focus is on making their species no longer be engineered to serve chaos gods, not forcible sterilization. Honestly, just inventing some form of birth control would probably be fine. Might require research and large scale production, but that would probably be better than OL spending his days going around sterilizing a species.

17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

That doesn't work at all close to the coast. The water table is too high. You'd need really quite advanced stainless steel to not leach the shit out at ground level because the tank would rust through in months if made with ordinary steel. Probably weeks for iron. Even the good steel requires frequent maintenance here.

Razorfloss, Wetbananas and DAT_NOOB like this.
  18. Karmic Acumen

Septic tanks are made of concrete, or they can be dug and walled with stone, and you can use tin or copper or bronze or literally anything else that doesn't rust for the pipes. It's not rocket science.

EDIT

Now that I think about it, your argument is super baffling. You do realize these things are literally meant to be filled with watery shit at all times, right? How did you think their design had somehow less of an issue with this than environmental humidity?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    IsActuallyBatman and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

20. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Just how much time has passed again since Paol's initial arrival and this situation? What else has he gotten into, really curious how he met the various army/race/faction/nation leaders and some other accomplishments like killing all those Greenskins and Skarsnick.

21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I think the dates are a bit off. In Episode 101 Warhammered 1 & 2 are listed as 13th Vendémiaire 1531. Parts 3&4 list 4th Pflugzeit 2510. The later Peacehammer chapters and the three Warhammer Fantasy Battle chapters (episode 95) list 2512. Assuming the first one is a mistake and a thousand years have not passed, he has survived about two years. Karl Franz was elected emperor in 2502.

22. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I may have had the details wrong, but I know from direct experience that you cannot get working septic systems installed in wetlands or coastlines. It's hard to find anyone who will even give you a quote, let alone try to construct it for you. It's very inconvenient if you're trying to, say, turn a beachfront campsite into a livable home, which I have seen firsthand. And if you go ahead and do it anyway, it will constantly have uncontrolled leakage and not do its job. This was a major problem in the district of my hometown near a lake: unwisely-installed septic systems made waste ooze out of the ground if you looked at it funny, because wetlands could not deal with it.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  23. Ganurath

Vendémiaire is from the Bretonnian calendar, which uses a different starting year than the Imperial or Verena calendars. 1531 is the equivalent of 2509.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

He didn’t start with a database, although he sometimes pretended to have one made by Larfleeze. He only got a real database when he assimilated a green power ring because one of the Green Lanterns was mind-controlled.

25. Mr Zoat

No, they're highly effective. They just don't dominate the entire north at the moment. Plenty of followers in other places, and if Erik or Sturmjarl die things could very easily backslide.
    I've been keeping up, just to hate from a point of being informed. Apparently your opponent's weapon skill does nothing to affect how easy it is to hit them these days!

26. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    18:03 GMT

This is the most 'on display' I've felt since Lanterns Natu and Nax physically took me apart. Since there wasn't any particular spell residue on me -and between my spell eater and tattoos that was about what I expected- he's having to go deep. As in, lift the maintenance hatch off my soul and manually test the components.

Not the most fun experience I've ever had.

On the other hand, it is interesting to get a similar view of Dr. Balewa. I'm not getting any real detail of course: he's a god tier wizard and I'm a giant snake's parasite. But I can see the general flow of the energies he's-.

"Thet is a little distracting."

"Sorry."

Like this, I can see the sort of merge point where I shade into the Ophidian. Larger than a normal patron connection, but nothing like as large as I was worried it might be. Dr. Balewa has a similar one to the Life Entity, though in his case it's… Like a placenta: two separate systems exchanging vitality, rather than two brains smushed together haphazardly.

"Ah."

"Ah?"

"I hef found an abnormality, but it is very slight. I do not know if it is what has caused your memory difficulty, but..."

A pearl of white light appears in front of him, some sort of faint… Smoke? Contained within.

"What is it?"

"I do not know. It is a strange thing. It is like… Not a thing in itself, but the shadow of a thing. Perhaps even less than that. If I had to guess, I would say that it is simply marking a place, perhaps to guide an external force later."

"Mister Edge made it clear that they were using magic as part of their tracking and communications system. Is it part of that?"

"I would guess thet it is not. I am familiar with the simple geomantic systems they are using, and this is quite different. It is not a residue left by exposure to a distortion in the world's magics. It is something… External. It is not something that the practitioners which the Alliance of the Just can call upon would use."

"Are you sure? There are some very incautious magicians around the place."

"Incautious in their communications and treaties with demons. This is not demon magic. I do not know-."

The smoke wafts, as if blown from the centre of the spell bubble and pushed against the side. There's a slight shimmer, and when it calms the smoke is gone.

"Odd."

"Did you mean to do that?"

"I did not do thet. The energy received no external instruction. It appeared to be a natural reaction to the power of life."

"Do I have any more in me?"

"Not thet I could find, but it did not respond in a normal way to my efforts to detect it. I had to manually examine everything about you in order to see even thet much."

"Doesn't respond..? So I can't just go FEED ME and get rid of it?"

"I do not know for certain, but I would guess that any such energy that could survive connected to your conjoined soul would not be affected by your efforts to speed up the process."

"But would it be dangerous?"

"I cannot say for certain, but if you take into your gut something that you cannot digest…"

"Right. Great. Think I should get Hinon to take a look as well?"

"If the sample had survived and we had something to show her, then I would say 'yes'. As it is, what would you say?"

"Not sure. Have you finished poking me?"

"I have."

And… Re… Com…

Pile.

Ugh.

I let the orange light flow through my body, not really 'fixing' anything per se, but definitely making me feel better. That's my sort of glowing light, not whatever that weird shadow stuff was.

And 'weird shadow stuff that doesn't interact with other energy' doesn't ring any bells. Stuff has to interact with other stuff. That's how magic and conventional matter work. Even kaahuite interacts with other forms of matter and energy, and that's literally outside of Creation. So the idea that it doesn't, particularly after it was unmade by Dr. Balewa's magic, sounds like nonsense.

Dr. Balewa's magic.

"Doctor?"

Dr. Balewa opens his still glowing eyes on the other side of the ritual space.

"Yes?"

"I know it looked like the shadow destroyed itself, but if whatever it was is as good at parasitism as you're saying, are we sure that it's not just in you now?"

His eyes return to normal.

"Thet is disturbingly possible. But if it is attracted to my magic, then I should be able to draw it out of myself by deliberately weakening myself in the presence of a stronger source of power."

"I don't think we're working to a deadline, here. It's best that we learn everything we can before trying to confront whoever Father Bruno really is."

"What makes you certain?"

"People who sign up with the Alliance of the Just are generally well intentioned, but most of them are part timers. The teleporters aren't going to see major usage until the end of the New Year holidays. Probably the weekend after. If they're important in some way, that's when whatever's happening will happen. And if they're not, and Father Bruno's just… I don't know, manoeuvring for position, then we don't even have to worry about that deadline. He'll just be gradually moving towards whatever his victory condition is."

"Thet makes logical sense, but why would he speak with you at all?"

"Two possible places I came into contact with whatever that was: the teleporter and Bruno himself. Alan came into contact with both as well. But a lot of other people in the Alliance would have used the teleport… Er. Um."

"Yes?"

"Did..? You check those… Alliance members who died for whatever that was?"

"I did not."

"It just.. occurred to me that.. if they were exposed in some way…"

"I do not know if anything would remain after all this time, but you are right. It would be wise to check."

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Like homing signal for more Anti-Life.

boo600, Kuro-chan, kerleth and 17 others like this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'affected'.

I think that comma should be removed.

29. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Darkseid is branching out, now he's implanting people with microchips so the Apokazon Drone Delivery Services can use GPS tracking to helpfully find and deliver Anti-life to you on the go.

Modern problems require modern solutions. :V

boo600, Kuro-chan, kerleth and 27 others like this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So it reacts with nothing but flees/is destroyed by Life and their first thought isn't the Anti-Life?

It's either a miniscule amount or maybe mixed with something else, like the Shadow.

Could Hepheastian get a look at the teleporter? Do magic wards trump celestial connection to the concept of technology?

I guess this Pauls grace period with Apokolips has run out, while triggering enough warning bells that even Darkseid decided on caution?

boo600, kerleth, Cuchulin and 14 others like this.