1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Have you been teaching an actual angel to play 40k, OL you naughty person?

2. Prosecutor-0

Prosecutor-0 Getting out there.

The Bat-glare intensifies.

Roll for Will Save, Mr Zoat!

3. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The angel likes the theocratic and exterminatus elements.

Otto von Saurion, kerleth and Vorian like this.
  4. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Others.

5. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I wonder if this infection is using the True Anti-Life Equation, rather than Darkseid's Anti-Life Equation.

Otto von Saurion and kerleth like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And after meeting Paul you've probably have been doubting a lot of things.

"move back"

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is going to be a PR nightmare.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing full stop.

One thing I've always liked about WTR is that people beyond just the main characters can be competent. Doctor Mist isn't just brute-forcing things. He understands what he's doing, he knows what he's up against, he fully recognizes the operational implications, and he's taking it seriously without panicking.

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:06 GMT -5

"This is the last place I remember seeing her."

Scott Free brings his aero-discs to a stop above a disused industrial site. A confluence of intent between the 'Burn Hub City' campaigners and the Sheeda resulted in what little life there was in the city being strangled during their occupation. Perhaps worse, the destruction of a harvest ship not too far from here has resulted in the region being partially Sheeda-formed. The closest example of Sheeda-life is a colony of maggots living in a storm drain about thirty metres from our position, but there are bigger and badder things around.

Which is why the region… Can't really call it a city. It doesn’t offer enough high-order services anymore. It's having a small amount of revitalisation. Mostly because the larger criminal groups have moved away, and partially because both the government and private collectors will pay a lot for Sheeda technology, including biotechnology. And at the same time, the few people who still choose to live here need protection from the monsters squatting in the ruins.

"What exactly happened?"

"I wish I knew. Though it might be better that I don't."

Zauriel lands and crouches to lay his right palm on the ground.

"An… Absence."

"Is it an absence you can track?"

"I fear not, though I would recognise it if I came upon it again."

Mr. Scott waves around his multi-cube. "No boom tube. I'd have thought that I'd have heard it, but it shouldn't be that easy to creep up on either me or Barda."

"Is Darkseid slow on his feet?"

"I don't think so. He's monstrously strong. But I've never seen him run."

"You said that New God technology needs a New God running it. Do you think that's why he took Barda?"

"No. Darkseid has plenty of New Gods he could command to take control of it. I think he took her because she used to be his and he thinks it's wrong that things can ever stop being his."

"How much does he weigh?"

"I have no idea. Footprints." He nods. "He can't fly by himself, and though he's got a flight system built into his armour he usually walks."

"Slowly and purposefully." I nod. "He doesn't want to seem to be reacting to his opponents. He needs to be seen to be in complete command at all times."

"I can't think of a time when he wasn't. Sometimes I thought that he stayed on Apokolips because he couldn't be so in command anywhere else. And then I got hit by the Anti-Life and it was like I'd never left the X-Pit, so I guess that was nonsense."

Zauriel lays his right hand on Mr. Free's left shoulder.

"In God, whose word we praise, in God we trust; we will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to us?"

"Zauriel, I'm no more mortal than you are. And he's even less." Walk From Was.

"Zauriel, was the Sword of the Fallen actually destroyed, or did the Kings just say they destroyed it while they actually kept hold of it?"

"If they spoke an untruth, they would not have been so foolish as to inform me when I would be in proximity to you."

That's a fine point.

"Could you please notify them that if they made use of a 'social untruth', I'd really appreciate it if they could coincidentally find a sword just like it. The paint could be wet and I wouldn't complain."

"I will relay your message. Doctor Mist, have you been able to locate our target?"

"There are places where the world is… Tilted. They may be signs of the Sheeda, but it is also possible that they are locations where there is New God technology."

He raises his right hand, and an illusory map of the region appears with a handful of areas highlighted. Mr. Free looks it over, and then points.

"We already tried there and there. Maybe we set something off, but we didn't see anything."

"Zauriel?"

"The energies of this place are already so discordant that I can hear nothing more amiss."

We reach out, flicking our tongue to taste the air. Anti… Life. Yes, we taste it, the miserable negatory black that would snuff out our light. But where is it-.

"We're going about this wrong. Doctor Mist, could you enshroud this whole city?"

"A reasonable idea, were not the Sheeda creatures magic-eaters. Detecting a distortion would mean little."

Vexing. Then where are the cut threads? Where did people stop living for themselves and start living for another? When did they lose self-derived motivation and begin to just go through the motions out of habit?

Strangely, it's not… Obvious. There are disruptions that we can taste and they share enough of a flavour that we judge that they share a cause. But if they are Anti-Lifed… It is nothing like the people we have seen who have been Anti-Lifed before. Not yet active? Or perhaps it is because it is bound to their personality rather than overriding and crushing it. We open our mortal eyes and look at the map. And we point.

"We do not know if it is what we are looking for, but there is something that should not be here. This… Place… Tastes foul."

Mr. Free nods. "The Anti-Life will do that. Did you taste Barda at all?"

We… I shake my head.

"Sorry. Normally, I'd be able to tell, but with this… Novel Anti-Life use, I'm not sure about anything. Um." I look over his equipment harness. "Do you want a..? Gun or something? I've still got some New God equipment from Kahndaq?"

"No, I'm going to be trying to free people from the Anti-Life. Having to use a normal weapon would be a distraction."

"Alright."

Zauriel, Mr. Free and I take to the air, while Dr. Balewa just vanishes. It's a relatively short flight to the former apartment building he and I highlighted, though I take the time to bombard the maggot colony with white phosphorus along the way. Their agonised screeching is satisfying to hear, and hopefully will encourage other Sheeda-life to bury itself a little deeper.

"Mister Miracle." Zauriel sort of frowns with his eyes. "You are correct in your assertion that your divine empowerment will make freeing any of Darkseid's victims far easier. However, I have noticed that you appear reluctant to use your abilities."

"I wouldn't be much of a God of Freedom if I told people how to live."

"It is more than that. You are an aspect of the Source made manifest. You cannot be what you are afraid of becoming."

"Yeah, I'm with Zauriel. I could see how uncomfortable the idea makes you. Quite aside from anything else, it's an avenue of attack for the Anti-Life."

"Don't worry about that. The Anti-Life always finds a way. That's why it's so terrifying."

Zauriel shakes his head as we come into land.

"The only omnipotent power is the Most High. Everything else is merely deception, and you should reject it as you have rejected Darkseid."

"I'll take it under advisement. How are we getting in?"

I make a crumbler battering ram construct.

"Like this."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Honesty being the new god of freedoom has to be one of the less troublesome godhods ever, you literally have the freedom to do what you want to do, even faking being human.

14. oct9010

oct9010 .

Invisitext.

I don't claim to understand it, though. Doesn't parse.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, the terrifying thing about the Anti-Life is that it is such an easy trap to fall into in the real world.

Giving up while still going, dreams becoming dim and grey, going trough the motions, being miserable while being so afraid to change anything because you tell yourself it could always be worse until suffering just becomes normal...

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...So, Hub City has honestly improved a little? :V I kid, I kid. But seriously, Gotham and Bludhaven are like Metropolis in comparison to this shithole. It... It's what 'Frank Miller's Sin City' would be if it existed in the DCU.

And anyone still here is either too poor to leave, too stubborn or too stupid. Or is The Question.

Well, you'll have to find out, if only to be sure that it doesn't happen twice.

I wonder. If Jack Hawksmoor was here, what would he feel, as God of Cities?

If only by the horrible aftertaste? I can't imagine any of the local atmosphere is pleasant.

So, he doesn't know about or has forgotten about Hush Tubes, huh.

Running would imply concern. As an absolute, Darkseid would never show such weakness... Could never shot it.

In the physical sense or the metaphysical? In the latter, His dying fall nearly collapsed an entire multiverse...

And walking slowly lets His foes attack Him without success, to show them that they can do nothing to stop Him.

The X-Pit being a deathtrap-filled dungeon where the inconvenient were thrown in order to dispose of them. Scot... Thrived in it. He mastered it. I suppose the Anti-Life glob took him to an early period in it, before he'd gained his modern skills.

Interesting Godspeech. I'm guessing he's trying to buoy his own spirits, reminding himself to be free of his past.

So... Good chance it is, but they're holding on to it because it makes for some Hellish paperwork. :p

To be fair, he did generally use it responsibly. Only employing it against those with extremely dangerous metaphysical abilities... And trying to kill him with them.

No doubt because either would be a corruption of Life, and thus stand out against the background noise of the world...

Well, which of them is the last place you remember being? Might be work a second look. From a very safe distance, naturally.

Given his musical-themed abilities... This place must feel like listening to Skrillex-wannabes at max volume. With a different track playing in each direction. A cacophony of chaos and pain...

Bit hard to sense something that's all-pervasive in the area, eh?

There's a more logical approach. And for the Ophidian, downright effortless, I bet.

And his companions pause, look at him, and back away slowly. Because they remember the last time he went all pluralistic... :p

Probably best to leave Best Snek well away from here. The Anti-life is just a bit too dangerous to have near an emotional Embodiment's direct manifestation...

Assuming you can manage it. Mr 'I don't want to be a god...'

If only to keep it out of the way of normals, I guess. Because it doesn't get rid of it.

So... He'd ironically like to be Free of his own nature? :p

On the other hand, Freedom can take many forms, good and bad. Freedom from restraint. From culpability. From caring or consequences. From Morality...

Not surprised he's thinking of the Presence as a minor local deity.Like someone coming from the big city and assuming they know better, but not realising the locals know tricks they don't...

So, your usual level of subtlety? :p

Well, I suppose if they trash the place, it can't make Hub City any worse. It's hard to go down from 'America's asshole'. Still, it might be worth coming back later and burning the place past the bedrock, just to be safe. Having all these Sheeda critters lurking around can't be great for the planet's ecosystem. Never mind a possible Anti-Life outbreak...

Bit of a messy chapter, this one, Mr Zoat...
    Scott Free brings his aero-discs to a stop above a disused industrial site.
    "Zauriel, I'm no more mortal than you are.
    ...while they actually kept hold of it?"
    "Could you please notify them that if they made use of a 'social untruth'...
    Mr. Free looks it over, and then points.
    ...and hopefully will encourage other Sheeda-life to bury itself a little deeper.
    "I wouldn't be much of a God of Freedom if I told people how to live."
    "The only omnipotent power is the Most High.
    I make a crumbler battering ram construct.

17. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

For the invisitext . . . A common thing with Darkseid is the phrase "Darkseid is."

It kind of started with a bad future story where Darkseid got the Anti-Life and conquered everyone. Glorious Godfrey hypes him up and says, "Who is your new God, now and forever?"

Then Darkseid shows up and says, "Darkseid is."

It's been used in other ways, but it's also a reference to one of the various titles for the Abrahamic God . . . He Who Is. And so it's basically Darkseid claiming to be your one and only god.

Walk From Was is likely just Scott reaffirming his conviction to reject Darkseid. Thus, is becomes was.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The wall explodes!

20. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’Tastes’

21. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Holy fuck, that diagram, now I really understand why America is called a third world country: we turned both the food pyramid, and the city services pyramid, completely upside down!

22. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh Scot, still messed up. Though I can see why- the only associations with New Gods he has that isn't misery is his relationship with Barda, whereas his life on Earth is much more pleasant. He associates being human with happiness and a good life, New Gods with Apokalypse and all that brings. Plus freedom has its downsides.

(Huh, now I'm wondering if that will tie into the Renegade questioning how much he likes- or doesn't like- his conquest domain)

...in a disadvantaged, impoverished area it might be harder to detect Anti Life from a special source versus people who are just crushed by hopelessness.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Oh? How so?

24. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

I'm surprised Paul hasn't tried to track down Merry Poppins to help with this.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'a small'

I'm betting it's either some Anti-Life from the last time they were there or some new stuff.

Good question.

They may have wanted to keep such a powerful object in case they faced a powerful being they couldn't match.

Paul mentioned that too.

But you would be giving it one less avenue of attack.

True, but that doesn't mean that Darkseid can't fuck up your day.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or just crazy.

Which..I guess the Question kinda is.

Or didn't think to mention them.

I'm reminded of a Brave and the Bold episode where the League attacks him with everything and he just takes it without a scratch.

Yes, but it would be kinda stupid of them to give such a powerful weapon to someone that doesn't like them and would have no problem killing them all.

I'm thinking emo music, since Darkseid is an emo.

Yeah, I'm reminded of something Obloquy wrote in their story about how New Gods that embody the same concept can embody different aspects of it, both good and bad.

I don't think he considers him a minor deity, but his personal experience with Darkseid makes him prone to think of the big grey asshole as top dog, even if the Presence could get rid of Darkseid like he was just getting rid of a bad smell.

27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Two corrections: "anymore" and "having a small amount"

I have no idea what you're talking about.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:11 GMT -5

The dully incurious front desk attendant blinks at us as we walk or fly through where the front wall used to be.

"Yeah?"

I look closer. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I can see where the Anti-Life has engrafted upon his soul. It's not a great deal: he's a Hub City native and at this point I'm mildly impressed that he's functioning at all. But it's there.

"Doctor, one for you."

"And… Someone's probably gunna yell at you about that door."

Mr. Free looks at him as Dr. Balewa marches closer. "He feels like a Lowly."

The man manages an awkward smile. "You work a reception desk too?"

Dr. Balewa raises his right hand, the man's eyes rolling back in his head as he goes limp in his chair. The familiar mist rises from his body for a few moments, then Dr. Balewa offers it to Zauriel who sings it into nothingness.

"I needed to strengthen his spirit so that the separation did not kill him. We should be aware of thet for all future victims."

Mr. Free nods as I study the ceiling above us. "Does that mean he's been like that for a long time?"

"Thet would be my guess."

"Look on the bright side."

Orange streamers shoot upwards, punching through plaster, wood and steel. Where they encounter flesh they wrap around and bind the owner. Can't scan a thing here but the upper part of the building at least doesn't have any actual construct disruptors.

"This means that when we finally kill Darkseid, we can fix the Lowlies."

"That-. Yeah, that is actually kind of uplifting. I can't see it happening-."

"Sure you can. New Gods live indefinitely, right?"

"Unless something kills us."

I tear a hole in the ceiling and begin conveying the people I've grabbed down. They're dressed as office workers, but I've only found eight, and that's far less than the number a building this size would normally house.

"In a circle, if you please."

I deposit them around him, mist already rising from them as he starts his spell. None of them are really resisting, only pulling back slightly when the tendrils first touched them.

"Then it's inevitable that you'll see it, because he's the next target after the Reach."

"You… Shouldn't say things like that out loud. And not because of any sort of narrative rules; I'm pretty sure Darkseid can actually hear it."

"I'm sure he's heard it before."

A quick anti-note from -heh- Zauriel, and I stack the newly liberated office peons behind the reception desk.

"That doesn't mean he won't send someone after you."

I send ribbons of orange light down, through concrete and-.

And they fizzle out.

"I don't wear glowing orange clothes because I'm hiding, Mister Miracle. There's a construct disrupting effect below us."

Dr. Balewa gestures upwards and a circle of floor crumbles into chunks which float upwards and form a ball in the air. Floor tiles, concrete, wires and ceiling tiles fly out of the hole until the spell ends with our path cleared.

"You should probably let me do that. You need to conserve power to purge people. I can keep going until we actually hit the construct disruptors."

"I am extending my power through the building. This does not drain me; it makes my power more readily available."

"Ah, alright then. Thank you."

I drift towards the hole, but Zauriel holds up his right hand to stop me.

"If your constructs are unreliable, then I am the most resilient among us. I should take the lead."

He draws his sword, which burns with golden fire.

"As you will. I'll go second."

He does a semi-flap, drifting over the floor and descending down through the hole.

"None are here."

I fly down after him. Emergency lights only, most of the illumination coming from Zauriel himself. Lockers line the walls, and ring scans show them as mostly empty. I open each of them just in case, but the scan was accurate.

Mr. Free comes down next, wincing slightly.

"New God technology. This whole area's connected up to something."

"Can you turn it off?"

"Ping."

"No. Not from here. We'll need to find the core, and whoever's controlling it now."

"Bottom level?"

"Or close by."

"Then allow me."

The flooring vomits itself up and we go down again. A relatively normal looking workshop, somewhat disused, a layer of dust covering the machine tools. And again, into a laundry, washing machines and dryers partially dismantled. The next level-.

My constructs shimmer and fail as I see a chirurgical suit. My armour registers the presence of cleaning chemicals in the air, and without a ring scan I can't easily identify biological residue. So at least they cleaned up after whatever horrifying experiments they performed were complete.

Zauriel bows his head for a moment.

"Mister Miracle?"

He closes his eyes for a moment. Where There Is Need.

"I think… This way."

He floats towards the door to the west, Mother Box pinging as it unlocks the security door. He pushes through, hands at the ready-.

Ah. This part of the building is very clearly New God technology. Strange colours, arcs and tron lines replace the more human textures of the rest of the building. Mr. Free flies faster, down a corridor and through another security door. All Are Free Or None Are.

And there's the central hub. Strange technology, at least two-. No, three, people visibly wired into it. That's Victor Sage, naked and with pieces of Apokoliptian technology piercing his flesh in a dozen places. A young woman I immediately recognise as Anita Fite. Her body appears to be intact, and is covered in a chirurgical gown. Her head has not been so fortunate, and several cables appear to be plugged directly into her skull. Her mouth is moving weakly and her eyes stare at nothing. The third 'person' appears to be the upper part of Black Orchid's body.

Mr. Free looks the horrifying assemblage over, then shakes his head.

"I'll get to work." Freedom Is The Right Of All Sentient Beings.

"No. You won't."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Few spots of Godspeech, all together. Roll out!
    He closes his eyes for a moment. Where There Is Needs.

"I think… This way."

He floats towards the door to the west, Mother Box pinging as it unlocks the security door. He pushes through, hands at the ready-.

Ah. This part of the building is very clearly New God technology. Strange colours, arcs and tron lines replace the more human textures of the rest of the building. Mr. Free flies faster, down a corridor and through another security door. All Are Free Or None Are.

And there's the central hub. Strange technology, at least two-. No, three, people visibly wired into it. That's Victor Sage, naked and with pieces of Apokoliptian technology piercing his flesh in a dozen places. A young woman I immediately recognise as Anita Fite. Her body appears to be intact, and is covered in a chirurgical gown. Her head has not been so fortunate, and several cables appear to be plugged directly into her skull. Her mouth is moving weakly are her eyes stare at nothing. The third 'person' appears to be the upper part of Black Orchid's body.

Mr. Free looks the horrifying assemblage over, then shakes his head.

"I'll get to work." Freedom Is The Right Of All Sentient Beings.

(Edit: Odd, the bottom part was cut off when in the quote box. Gonna remove the quote. TY, Lazurman.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022