1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Huh, I wonder why Lois specifically is wanted... but souls in a machine does not sound great.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Bruno may know who the League members are and wants to get leverage over them.

3. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

This is worldwide, so that means Boss Smiley is also getting anti-lifed.

Does anyone think Boss Smiley would even notice?

Also, I just realized that American Heartlands and American Wastelands and other places are manifestations of the population's collective consciousness, so how badly are those sorts of places going to be hit by every human on earth collectively broadcasting the ideals of Antilife into those places?

Ngamer11 and Windona like this.
  4. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Wrong affected.

Interesting that Lois recognizes the chance instantly. Also that some of the 'Just' are already Justified or puppeted.

Ngamer11, Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She probably encountered types of mind control before, so she can recognize when someone is trying to mess with her head.

Maybe Bruno paid special attention to them and influenced them before this.

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

In, In Praise of Eros, will Paul be trying it on with Paula?

7. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I'm more surprised they're not considering moving the machine off-earth.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I have no idea. What is it?
    No, that was Lois being a little more honest with herself.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Almost certainly not. Beautia, then Quinzel, then Felicity.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  9. Perchance

Perchance Getting out there.

Well, things are looking just a smidge bad at the moment. Global ALE exposure is going to have all sorts of fun knock on effects, especially on a world that's just undergone a horrifying alien(ish) invasion ala the Sheeda relatively recently.

Lois' section does lend hope though. Holly was still capable of experiencing fear, though nothing else, but Lois managed to shuffle through a number of them, so exposure to weird crap and willpower seems to be an imperfect but atleast semieffective defense.

Of course there are probably atleast one or two heavy weights who are susceptible to it, and handling them will be tricky.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Who's Felicity?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Completely forgot about her. Any chance she'll show up again in the main story?

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

No idea that's why I asked I just was reading her wikis. This was in her Earth 27 version and it was stated as one of her weaknesses:

https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Shelly_Gaynor

• Whip of Suarez
    Weaknesses

• Alcoholism
    • Mystical Dissonance
    • Nth Metal Addiction
    I didn't even know you can get addicted to a metal.

Ardy likes this.
  14. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Psychologically you can get addicted to a lot of things if you have an addictive personality. But uh, maybe Nth metal can have a weird effect when combined with magic?

Ardy, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  15. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

You fool, you fell for the classic blunder: that's not a canon wiki, that's someone's personal fanon wiki!

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Having never read the fanfic in question, my first guess would be dosing on Nth metal for the physical enhancement- strength, regeneration, etc, and getting a psychological addiction to those superpowers.

It was canon for the comics that Carter and Shiera had Nth metal in their systems, the Hawk Avatar Hawkman had Nth Metal wings, and since Carter could pass as a Thanagarians with Thanagarians it kind of implies that Thanagarians also incorporate Nth metal into their biology.

Thanagarians have superhuman smell. So when I type that Carter could pass as a Thanagarian I mean Thanagarians would smell him and he'd smell like a fellow Thanagarian.

17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Huh? I thought that Earth 27 shit was fanon? Wasn't it?

Otto von Saurion and Doccer like this.
  18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes it is.

Doccer just didn't notice at first.

Hardly the end of the world.

19. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:14 GMT -5

"Teleporters, huh?"

Yeah. Teleporters. Honestly, it feels like overkill. Between Batman, Gordon and Orange Lantern, crime in Gotham is as low as it's ever been. But it's not just them, it's… People. People not being prepared to take that shit any more. People being prepared to step up, to take a risk to do the right thing. I think that even if Batman disappeared tomorrow, things wouldn't ever get that bad again.

'course, the crazies would have a field day, but lots of cities had crazy theme criminals without turning into Gotham.

"Yeah. Teleporters."

Might be… Nice, though. I thought becoming Orpheus would… Put me in a hell of a lot of danger, but that I'd be fighting the good fight. And ever since I joined the Alliance, I've mostly just been training other people. I mean, that's not nothing. People should know how to handle themselves. But I thought there'd be more actual fighting against criminals, not just contact sparring with my students.

Onyx looks away from the teleporter and towards me, like she can hear what I'm thinking.

Fine.

Or getting my ass whooped by Onyx.

But teleporters. Now we can do what the guys in the Congregation can do, except we won't drop them right into combat and can actually organize things.

"We didn't have teleporters in the League of Shadows."

"Did you have wizards?"

"There were a few wizards, but none of them could teleport people. We just used planes or ships to travel long distances."

"The League had its own ships?"

"Some of the League's front companies did. Otherwise we just stowed away, or replaced the crew."

And I can guess what she means by 'replaced'. No, I shouldn't assume. They might just have drugged them or something. Onyx… She's fine talking about the League in general terms, but she doesn't like talking about her record. I wasn't all that keen on her being here when I found out, but after I talked it over with Father Bruno I realised that she left before the mass arrests. She walked away knowing they'd probably kill her for it, because she couldn't stand living that life any more.

"You want to head over there now, or-?"

No. Not yet.

We look at each other and nod. We both feel his intent, and we live to fulfil it.

Or die to fulfil it.

Moving as one, our steps in synchronicity, we walk into the storage cupboard and pull out the crates marked 'helmets'. At the time I couldn't work out why Vincent sent them to us.

Now I no longer need to doubt.

Still worth checking that the people packing them did it right so we both flip open the lids. I'm too simple minded to understand the principles, but they all look like I instinctively know that they should. Onyx and I close the boxes and walk back into the training room.

Most people here aren't metahumans, and don't have any other kind of power. But a lot of them ran with gangs, though from the way they're cowering and weeping to themselves right now you'd never know it. Guess it was just a front.

Or maybe they're just not far enough along to just be honest with themselves about their place in the universe.

Soon fix that. And it's not that they'll be happy, but that they'll understand that their happiness doesn't matter.

"Listen up! Get over here and put these on! They'll help!"

Some walk, some crawl. Some clearly aren't seeing the world around them like it is, their minds snapped by the revelation.

"…pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death…"

And some picked the losing side. That mostly doesn't matter. Everyone will come to understand, before the end. But right now we have a part to play in his plan and this fool needs to get with the program.

"Hey. You gonna put this on?"

Onyx holds one out to the Lowlie, but he just shakes his head, fingers whitening as he grasps his crucifix tighter. It won't help in the long run, but he's clearly not on-side right now.

I walk over, grab it with one hand and throw it away.

"What-? What d'ya do that for, m-?"

"You will be free of the burden of free will soon."

I punch him in the nose, breaking it and knocking him to the floor. Then I kick him hard in the head. Probably not enough to kill him, even with my boots, but he's not going to get up in a hurry.

"Necessary?"

Onyx isn't accusing me of being wasteful. It's my decision. She just needs to hear it.

"We're justified." I look over to the rest of my squad, who with the help of their helmets are adjusting better to reality. "Beat him to death, then join us in Washington."

"Anti-Life justifies our actions."

They step up, and I feel a moment of prideful satisfaction. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I think that the Master will tolerate it so long as it's pride in obedience to Him.

Onyx and I fall back in step as they get back to work. The teleporter will pick us up when they're ready for us, and then we'll show the world that Mannheim Is.

31st December 2012
    14:22 GMT -5

"Don't use the zeta tubes or the boom tube."

I nod as Dr. Balewa wrestles with whatever's inside the building's staff. It… It doesn't look like he's winning.

"I can fly us up to the Watchtower, or anywhere on Earth. Mister Miracle says that we need to find Mannheim to shut it down."

"We haven't found him yet, and most of the League is being affected too."

Most-? "Sir? Are you-?"

"Yes. I'm working through it."

Which is… Possible, Amon demonstrated that. But it won't stop him feeling like shit while he does it.

"Sir, if you're not at your best then I can bring Doctor Mist to you. He may be able to help."

"No. I don't m-. It's more important to get front line fighters back in action."

"Sir."

"Take your group to Kahndaq and make sure that Teth Adom is capable of fighting. Let me know when you're done. Batman out."

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  20. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

Secondary preparations with the helmets and compromised boom/zeta tubes make me wonder if this was a rushed time table. I’m kinda curious for a Batman interlude just to see how zoat writes those flavors together.

21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I didn't know Onyx willingly left the League of shadows. Did anyone else?

Ardy, Silveraith and Relyt33 like this.
  22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I take it he stopped himself from saying "No. I don't matter"

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the Alliance's perspective, eh? Local heroes, about to become something far darker, if they're as badly affected as the guards last chapter were. Especially those who've been through the teleporters, or are in real close proximity...

Hey, it could be worse, you could be working in Blüdhaven. It's basically Gotham without the Batman or his freaks. For good or ill. :oops: Mostly ill...

Orpheus and Onyx, eh? There's some minor Gotham heroes, for you.

Eh, at a certain level of martial arts skill in the DCU, you can basically be telepathic in all but name, as long as it's combat-related. :p

Probably a good thing, you know. Last thing anyone needed were teleporting ninja.

With all the commensurate risks involved, like getting caught up in superhero drama nearby.

...I'm guessing it did not end well for those you... 'Replaced'. :(

Which is kind of a change from her comics origin (monastery trained, but not openly a League camp.)

And here comes the Anti-Life. How will they react, I wonder?

...Ooof, right to drinking the kool-aid. I guess their orderly natures and lots of self-doubt made them easy pickings.

These helmets, I wonder?

The perfect foot soldiers of Justification, then. Hungry for more than their lot, and willing to serve for it...

Hoo-boy. That's going to leave a big black mark on their souls after all this is over...

And no doubt they will be forced to don the helmet, and see the Truth, huh? :rolleyes:

Honestly, that prayer may well be the only thing keeping that one out of the dark.

Amazing how fast they settled into their expected place, and their expected thoughts about those not willing to embrace it...

And with every moment, the Anti-Life broadcast grows stronger...

No doubt by the time he does, he'll happily put the helmet on, now that he's not resisting... :mad:

Slipping back into the role of follower, eh? She probably feels comfortable like this, at least while she's under the spell...

...Welp, so much for him getting up. :confused:

Great. Bruno's going to have his own army to throw at the League. An army they can't even safely fight...

Sounds like someone's concerned about cross-contamination from the Alliance teleportation broadcasters...

I imagine that it's like trying to drain an ocean with a thimble. As soon as he removes a drop, it's replaced, fresh from the tap.

Honestly, Batman might be the greatest threat if he succumbs, if only for his planning ability. There's a reason he was done away with early in Final Crisis.

I'm sure Bruce is used to it. He's felt worse. And that one bad day lets him keep his perspective.

Yeah, he's struggling, but he's managing. If this effect is magical, you don't want Superman getting turned.

Interesting. Presumably core League members are handling themselves. So any powerful allies need to be checked on.

This is going to be a hard campaign for the League. Not only will they have to deal with ordinary people fighting them, they've got Anti-Life whispering into their souls, trying to make them fall in line. And one moment's weakness will give the Dark Side a powerful asset. But they can't afford to hang about, either, because Bruno has a plan, and if he pulls it off, all life is fucked...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  24. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I'm just sayin, if there were ever a time for the jumped up elementals of earth to be actually helpful, it's when someone new is trying to muscle in on the "god" schtick.
    Have some payoff for OL's diplomancing.

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yikes. I'm not sure how free Batman really is. Sending Paul after Teth instead of asking him to go full Ophidian seems like a distraction.

Also, Mannheim must realise he is one of the, if no THE, biggest obstacle for him.

What's his plan for taking out Paul?

Otto von Saurion, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

But LePaul isn't actually well liked by most of the gods.

Remember all the Fuck You's he got trying to find a replacement for Ares?

Otto von Saurion and Enochi like this.
  27. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is a response to Vaermina:

None of those were because they didn't like Paul you halfwit, it was because they didn't want the job.

28. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Also, Paul did help replace Zeus with his son. Eris loves the way he is disrupting things and Hera is kind of fond of him for helping her reconcile leaving her husband with her role as goddess of marriage.

Windona, Vorian, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  29. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

The Easter egg had me laughing.
    Good job Mr. Zoat.
    Can't fire Kanto indeed

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Her face is really off putting to me. I wonder if that’s deliberate, what with her being an alien, or if it’s just me.
    ‘Lowly’?
    ’in’?