1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Look up brimstone ATV show about a bout a cop sending the damned back to hell.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Ardy and 10 others like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's a short-lived show where a detective works for the devil in order to get a second chance at life.

A bunch of souls escaped from Hell and he needs to get them back.

I'm guessing he thinks that Paul is one such soul.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The link goes to the title sequence of a show called Brimstone. It features a dead Detective who works for the Devil and he must return to Hell 113 souls who have escaped to Earth. He obviously thinks the SI is one, since he has no reference for any other kind of supernatural phenomena. Thankfully, a power ring is enough to stop a bullet. Also, I'm curious as to whether or not something bad will happen to the Detective if he accidently kills the SI somehow.

4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Damn, straight to killing him? I'd have thought the detective would've tried to talk it out more.

Relyt33 and Handlewithcare like this.
  5. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

And IIRC, as one would expect it's not actually as straightforward as that. Not that he presumably knows that yet.

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Flashing orange eyes after he got out of hell? Nah. Man's trying to send the demons back to hell so he can get a new lease on life. Fuck, this is an old show.

What's next? Gargoyles? Firefly? Dad's Army?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that's a very obtuse opening for a very low-budget 90's show. (Danger! TVTropes Link!) Lots of ominous voice-over and swirly words fluttering over mysterious video! A strange setup for a strange series. :p The finest effects 1997 Video Toaster could provide!

And a Paul, stuck in this screwed-by-the-network series. Let's hope he's at least got some kind of Power.

And Paul's hoping he doesn't notice that the holes are over his ribs, not open air.

Hmm. Some manner of healing capability. If it's a ring, it's either blue, orange or indigo.

And a fairly truthful rationalisation... Between the heat of the powder burning and the scraping as it flies down the barrel, 'hot lead' is not a misnomer.

Something of a life-changing experience regardless. And possibly a pants-changing one as well. :p

Friend, unless you're a cop, I'd leave it be and be glad you're alive.

I expect Paul here handled the cleaning of pants. A mere courtesy to save your dignity. :D

Not a jaunty tip of the hat? Doable even if you're not wearing one. Still, I think the guy's had enough strangeness for one lifetime.

Ah, the power of Avarice. Excellent for changing the ways of misguided people. Though I wonder about his charging methods...

Ooh, I sense a protagonist. Or rather, a canon protagonist. Probably following a trail of brimstone... :V

I'm betting he relies on his ring's scans a lot more, with the Internet being a lot less... Mature than it is now.

You're not the only one. Can't stand large crowds in small spaces myself. Tolerable in shopping centres, not so fun in a gaming store...

Should have asked for a dirty glass, then. :p

There's that laugh. The English accent probably helps with the 'being disarming' thing.

Yep, we have our protagonist. One 'Zeke' Stone, sent back from Hell as Satan's hitman in hopes of a second chance.

And it looks like it's straight down to business... Pity he has the wrong man.

...Oh, right. the still-somewhat-closeted gay subculture of the 90's.

Never mind the mechanics of it. Most men's toilet stalls are not very large, you know. It's hardly conducive to any kind of encounter, much less an erotic one.

Awkward, especially since Zeke went to hell for killing the guy who raped (and presumably murdered) his wife.

...Could still consider yourself one, if you apply Satan's authority over demons rather loosely. Well, more of a bounty hunter.

Not just for logical story reasons either. It's probably cheaper to do night shoots in LA. :p

"The eyes are the windows of the soul", as the intro above says.

And not recently. And he probably looks a lot younger than his mid-to-late forties.

Well, escalating to fisticuffs already? I bet he'll find fighting a man with a magic space ring a tough match. :p

God knows what the bartender's thinking of all this, but he's probably distracted.

...And the bullet is promptly caught by a construct mitt. :D Predictable, really.

Well, this was an... Odd choice for an alternate. Quite the obscure little oddity of Nineties American Network television. But looking at it, I find myself wondering what other shows a Paul found himself in. Perhaps a full series version of the 'Generation X' Marvel TV pilot would be amusing. Or just imagine a Paul meeting Fox Mulder and telling him that 'Yes, there are aliens out there. Some aren't nice, though." x3

"It might have skimmed you, I suppose.
    I blink in bafflement.
    Double Space.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless there's a glory hole present.

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Never really got into it.
    He wouldn't leave Earth.
    It would look just like any Second World War insert.

10. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Haaa, Brimstone !

Great show, great John Glover performance.

kerleth, BoML, Xmaster3000 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Damn, now to me that's obscure! I didn't even remember that show existed but it was actually where I first met John Glover. If it gets more nostalgic I will be remembering my baby days!

Relyt33 and mastermenthe like this.
  12. RichardWhereat

Captain Planet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I kinda feel like you did Captain Planet, but I can't remember it.

MasterG and Relyt33 like this.
  13. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I'll admit I haven't read more than an issue or two of the comics, but apparently there's a fair amount to do on Earth-that-was (link, because the formatting seems to hate making the text a hyperlink: https://firefly.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-That-Was). Might feel to much like the Fallout version of the SI, though.

14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Hogan's Heroes? M.A.S.H? Star Trek TOS?

Edit:
    Any particular reason?

MasterG likes this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He did it in the first April Fools episode.

16. Mr Zoat

Why would he? People in need, no one arguing as he fixes things and no idea where the colonists went.
    Here.

kerleth, Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and 4 others like this.
  17. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not killed. She was still around and he was hoping to get back with her after the whole thing was finished.

18. LurkerPrime

LurkerPrime Know what you're doing yet?

The real question is how hes keeping his ring charged.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Caerwen and 2 others like this.
  19. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

As pointed out . . . This is Brimstone.

Main character is Ezekiel Stone. NYPD police officer. His wife was raped and the rapist got off on a technicality. He tracked the guy down and killed him. Not long after he himself was killed and he went to Hell for killing that rapist. It was eventually revealed that it wasn't the kill itself that condemned him, but that he took pleasure in killing the guy.

113 souls end up escaping from Hell, and Stone is selected to hunt them down and send them all back. The reward for doing so being a second chance at life, and thus a chance of eventually going to Heaven.

Souls from Hell are effectively invulnerable. Nothing you do to them will effectively put them down. Well, almost. They all have one weakness. Their eyes. If you destroy their eyes they get sent back to Hell. Apparently because "the eyes are the window of the soul". (Which actually makes me think of that Tales from the Crypt movie where eyes are the weakness of demons, too.)

That said, even if it won't put them down, apparently only a damned soul can make another damned soul feel pain. At least on Earth. So, like, if a normal person punched one of these people they wouldn't even feel it. But if they punched each other . . .

The longer one of these escaped souls has spent in Hell, the more powerful they are on Earth. And since Stone's only real context for running into people with weird powers is said escaped souls, he's assuming this version of Paul is one such soul.

Another fun thing is that every time one of these souls from Hell, including the protagonist, wakes up in the morning they wake up in the clothing they were wearing when they died. They even get back whatever was in their pockets at the time. In Ezekiel Stone's case, beyond his clothes, he always wakes up with his badge, a fully loaded service pistol, and $36.27.

Ezekiel 36:27 - "And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

For some cosmology stuff . . . All the various faiths and their gods and afterlives used to be real. But apparently if you get conquered by people following one of the Abrahamic faiths, your gods and afterlife get wiped the fuck out. It seems this is because it's all actually shaped by human faith, so I think they end up being destroyed because of the whole "YAHWEH is the ONLY God thing".

Which, because of the spread of the Abrahamic faiths and like colonialism and shit . . . Pretty sure it was outright stated that the only thing left is the Abrahamic God and the Abrahamic afterlife. It doesn't matter what you believe in anymore. Whenever any human anywhere in the world dies, they're judged by Abrahamic standards.

The main villain used to be a high priestess for one of the other religions and she is super pissed off about that. So her big plan is that somehow she's going to make everyone lose faith in, well, the Abrahamic faiths. Which will make God, Satan, Heaven, and Hell all poof out of existence.

Not sure what would happen to people who died if she succeeded, or if it would be possible for other faiths to become real in the aftermath.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Anderon and 10 others like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

That's not how I remember it.

Yes, Ash complained about not being judged by her people's gods, but I don't recall anything to indicate that those gods ever actually existed.

kerleth, Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  21. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

The SI is using his power pretty freely, so I guess this isn't one of the versions where lack of recharge for the ring is a big problem. I wonder how, though. He says that Stone is the first supernatural thing he's found in this world, so it's not like other alternatives where he finds a magic artifact or something that can provide a recharge. And we're seeing orange flashes, so it's not a different ring type that recharges without a lantern. Just a "Fuck it, Brimstone version gets a lantern" decision?

kerleth, Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and 3 others like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

No, he's getting power... Elsewhere.

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB, Belenus and 10 others like this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

We’ve seen another Paul (Not hellion, not incubus, not malefactor… Sybarite!) who ate demons to recharge. That could happen here. It isn’t like anything will break if a hellspirit on Earth is destroyed rather than returned to Hell.

edit: Sybarite!Paul

24. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

'quite'
    Hope we get at least one more chapter of this.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Current plan is for two more.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If memory serves, Ash who played Michael Scofield in Hell and was strongly implied to have honey trapped Satan, was a priestess of a snake god.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Fellow like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Yes. The fact that she was a priestess doesn't mean that the god she worshipped literally existed. Existence isn't actually a requirement.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Wasn't the point I was making. lol

Just sharing a factoid with the readers of a story about someone with a certain orange snake as a spirit animal....

29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Haha, this one line gave me a very skewed interpretation of what was going on. I thought this was some sort of post-apocalyptic setting where Britain is devastated, rather than that Paul just doesn’t care about Britain, and interpreted the rest of the chapter with that in mind until I read other posts on what the setting actually is.

30. RichardWhereat

What if he woke up standing on the derelict from the pilot as Serenity finds it?

Xmaster3000 likes this.