1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG]

2. JeanEricVillon

JeanEricVillon Getting out there.

Ha!

Yeah, English is screwy. Both can be verbs and nouns and there's no easy way to distinguish without already knowing ahead of time.

3. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I don't know. Being able to suppress Anti-life by talking sense to an elemental affected by it seems a bit weak and anti-climatic.

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It helps that this isn't a person but the Grey, a literal force of nature.

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Today I realised something rather unsettling about X-Men: Evolution. Given the year when Kurt was adopted... I really hope he was in Austria.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Can you please elaborate on that?

7. Mr Zoat

I think it would break Rule 8. Look up 'Kentler Project'. Stopped in the early 2000s.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Moves

9. kerleth

kerleth Getting out there.

Oof. Yeah, probably best to keep the Anti-life to inside the story. Thanks for the info though.

Unrelatedly, I just realized The Black and The Grey are actually two different things. In my mind I connected them as an overall concept of dying and being reborn, where as The Green (and The Red) were about life in "full bloom". (I apologize for nothing, nothing!) I'm used to thinking of living things as being colloquially Animal, Plant, or Bacteria, with virus being in a weird "our definition of life is a bit fuzzy and they either are or are not alive depending on how you look at it" pseudo category.

I was about to make a post pondering if "The Rot/The Black" being connected to the cycle of death and life helped it more easily shake off the totalitarianism disguised as edgy pop psychology nihilism that is The Anti-Life. Which is a neat bit of head canon. Too bad that it's so off base that it can't even rise to the dizzying heights of even being able to be wrong, since this is The Gray and not The Black. Doh!

Hooray for self checking instead of assuming I am right I suppose. Not a huge fan of the concept that fungi is an alien invader instead of part of the cycle, but it is what it is. On the plus side, now I know that while my understanding of the inherent fuzziness and partial subjectivity of our categorizations was correct, my understanding of the details of the current model was embarrassingly wrong. My understanding of the world is just a bit more accurate now than it was yesterday. Neat.

Also good story or whatever I guess ;)

10. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

And that is why my whiteboard calendar at home literally has both those words and definitions up for when I write. It helps me remember that 'effect' is only a noun and the result.

eh, I think Kurt was adopted by the family that found him. So that skips a lot of screwiness, especially given Kurt's adoptive family tend to be (stereotypical) Romani, so they might have pulled a Kent and worked around the system.

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well thanl you for bringing this up.

I'm going to go and puke out my guts.

13. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    19:48 GMT -3

There's not a.. lot left.

The fungoids walked out. Some in their basic forms, others taking the conks and rotten wood of their new homes with them. What's left is… Good soil and sunlight, a little moss, a few tiny sprouting plants and the one tree I stuck back together.

"What's the knock-on effect of this likely to be?"

Giant Wooden Doctor Isley shakes her head as she pointedly avoids looking away from the leaving column of fungusfolk.

"I don't know enough about thaumaturgy to tell. A huge focus of Green magic just got destroyed. Even if Euanthe can manage to… Partially restore it, the bonds between the world's plants and this place just got… Totalled. Plants will grow more slowly -if.. they grow at all- and fruit yields will be way down."

"I'm worried that no one will be farming at all."

"That might have been the point. If the Green wasn't… If it was healthy, we could help out. Do what Swamp Thing did to Gotham. Or Euanthe could talk to the other dryads into visiting places and helping out. Now, we can't do that." She shudders a little. "If they could even manage to work through the Anti-Life."

"What did it feel like to you?"

"You mean, 'what does it feel like to me'."

"Oh."

"It's like I'm still Poison Ivy, but I'm not crazy enough to just go with it."

I float closer, and lay my right gauntlet on the middle phalanges of her right index finger.

"Then you're not Poison Ivy, because that was her defining trait. You've managed the Brazil-Accalacan situation really well, you and Euanthe, and what you're feeling now that you weren't yesterday is the result of the Anti-Life."

She nods, her left hand coming around to put the tip of her left index finger on top of my right hand.

"Thanks."

"So I've been wondering: are you and Euanthe romantically involved?"

Her hands are withdrawn.

"Uh-aah, what?"

"Because it would be something to look forward to? Because that would mean that you're a prospective violet power ring user? Because it would be a sign of your psychological normalisation?"

"I don't think-. I haven't really… Thought about her that way. I don't think she thinks about humans that way."

"She's open to the idea."

She looks at me askance. "Should you be using your power like that? Isn't that unethical?"

"I didn't use my power. She came onto me. In a way that suggested that she didn't exactly get human interactions but thought it might be something I'd enjoy."

"And… Did..?"

"No. But you've spent a lot more time with her than I have, and you're more on her wavelength."

The last of the fungoids tramp through the pale grey hole in space.

"If you think she needs advice on the meatspace aspect, I'm happy to wingman for you."

"So.. I'll have something to not go crazy for."

"Yes indeed. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pacify the fungoids and you-."

"I need to rebuild the Green with Euanthe. I.. guess that works for a date?"

"Given how long you've been living together, I'd say that you should be a bit direct about things. If that's what you want. Excuse me."

I fly through the portal, and…

Huh.

It's a bit like a snowstorm. Or some sort of duststorm or smog. Light-coloured… Fog? Mist, or… Dust? Is everywhere, but unlike back in the ruins of the Green there's strong light coming from… Somewhere. Yes, diffuse snow is what it reminds me of. The fungoids I was following have… More or less vanished. I can see a few as they walk away but none of them are paying me any attention.

What little of the of the landscape I can see appears to be made of giant conks and fruiting bodies. Colours… Are accurate, when I'm close enough that whatever is filling the air doesn't obscure it. I'm not going to prod things, not when things are tense and not with power armour. I'm not… Sure what they're growing on. There's a definite floor here, but unlike in the Green where it was soft earth I'm… Not really sure what it's made of.

Okay, may as well get started. I unfocus my mind slightly… Ah, yes, there it is. The pale of the Anti-Life, cast over an otherwise functioning area of the Earth's thaumosphere. It's not the same as… Erebos, and it's definitely not the same as the attitude of Melinoë and family. They accept that things naturally end where I cling to them and demand that they last forever. Anti-Life is magical nihilism; rushing towards annihilation and nothingness.

I don’t know how fungus thinks, but I can't immediately come up with a reason why it would be all that different from plants. Other than the fact that they make less use of animals as a vector.

"Gary, do any of you have friends?"

"Some."

"Who?"

"Odd wizards and druids. Sometimes we go into the world and meet people. It's confusing."

"But there aren't any fungus dryads."

"No."

So the fungoids are at least a degree less human-like than Euanthe, who struggles to understand humans at the best of times and certainly doesn't value human stuff in the way that humans do.

On the other hand, I've touched the Ophidian's mind.

I draw away from myself and surround myself with the Grey. It feels like dying, but that's because they're part of the system that breaks human remains down. They're not agents of primal annihilation, not in their inner selves.

I think for a moment of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, but honestly the underlying nature of the Grey is so… Simple, that I think that MRS GREN is more appropriate.

But it's not just the characteristics of life in themselves that will act as a fix, and I can feel the fungoid's habits of movement in the same thought as I feel a ring of fungal spore pods advancing across a lawn. Or the alien way fungi sense the world around them by dampness and something like a sense of smell. No, it's the idea that those things are sufficient. That acting in accordance with those impulses are satisfactory in themselves, that living is sufficient.

I feel the Anti-Life try to tie itself around particular impulses in opposition to my efforts, but it seems to have lost its 'in'.

"A life well-lived is its own reward."

Pulling back in to my own consciousness, it seems… The Anti-Life is still all around, but it's less tied to the spiritual energies of the Grey. It's influencing them less.

Good.

Now it's time to call in Dr. Balewa.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This makes me want to see Euanthe suggest a child made from all three of them, either here or in the In Praise of Eros thread.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, this area has basically been ransacked of it's... What? It's life-force? Its' verdant Essence? The thing that makes it Green, rather than mere stone and fertile earth. But that can be replaced, surely. It wouldn't have been possible, if the Gray were still invading. So, a net win?

Not trusting them to all leave, Pammie? Good logic, but i don't think they'll have the capacity for trickery at this level...

Just as I figured. But now you have something to do, I guess?

What makes you think she's immune here, OL? It's affecting all parts of Earth and its thaumosphere...

Yeah. Optimistic of you, but really, a little rude...

Or you're being one of the nicer versions of Poison Ivy. And yes, they exist. Not every version of her is a human-hating eco-terrorist... (Though goodness, that's a lot.) :confused:

Heh, head-pats from a giant woman: the ultimate reward.

o_O What? ...But given how it looks, yes, I could see it.

Probably a good thing this form can't blush, huh?

And you haven't felt like thinking about this, then?

Honestly, setting up two friends? Sounds like a decent use of it.

To be fair, she's probably thinking 'Teenage guy, hot plant chick, nature ensues...'

So, time for OL to keep up his side of the bargain.

Well, that is a nice bonus.

Well, the green in whatever part of South America this is, assuming it's not just a representation of their base in the former Brasilia.

Just don't go full Commander 'Memetic Horndog' Shepard and go 'We'll bang, okay?'

So, not the giant boneyard of the Rot. Anything would be better than that, after all.

Probably some kind of mycelium pad overlaying the rest. Kind of like the Zerg's Creep.

As a nutrient source, sure. Transmitting spores via animals? Not so much. Animal biology is kind of resistant to that sort of thing...

Oh, where's he going with this angle?

Hence the anthropomorphic form they use. Bit harder to hold a conversation with a giant mushroom cap...

Heh. Now I'm picturing any number of Generic Fantasy Setting sexual dimorphism memes. :p You know, the 'sexy female monster' trope...

And they still have desires, alien as they are.

Before anyone asks: MRS GREN. Simply put, Movement; Respiration; Sensation; Growth; Reproduction; Excretion; Nutrition. The fundamentals of organic life, really.

So, he's effectively 'rebooting' their instinctual needs to pre-Anti-Life defaults?

And if the Dark Side are aware of all this, since I assume they'd be watching if they did this on purpose, someone is now swearing up a storm.

And maybe he can install some safeguards against further outside manipulation. When he has a spare moment, anyway.

Seems a bit quickly wrapped up, but I suppose if all things in the Grey are interconnected, then the effect will spread outwards across the whole of Earth. To be fair, the geography of the Elemental Realms is a bit skew-whiff. still, all's well that's sorted out here. So back he goes to putting out hotspots while they try to track down Mannheim and end this properly...

16. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Aww swamp thing got eaten.

17. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I distinctly remember Paul asking if Isley and Euanthe were involved before and Isley saying that she had tried to set Paul up with Euanthe.

18. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

20. Mr Zoat

I vaguely remembered writing something like that, but I forgot where it was. Isley believed that Euanthe's interest was in the SI due to their personal interactions, rather than in humans in general.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it doesn't mean she actively wants to pursue such a relationship with a human.

She may have been studying humans and thought that would make a good reward.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Man... Its kind of amazing just how much worse LePaul has made things for the people of Earth compared to Canon.

Karmic Acumen, Enochi and Parzival95 like this.
  23. Karmic Acumen

Karmic Acumen The long-suffering one

Yeah, we've been in Bad End territory for a while. It's pretty much inevitable when threat escalation remains the only story-driving mechanic for so long.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"heard of has to say?" or "about some old smith"

25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Well, there seems to be a lot less people in the world so maybe the fact that plant yields are less won't cause that much mass starvation?

Otto von Saurion, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Paul and the Greenies would give aid and relief efforts from other planets if it gets that bad.

Ardy likes this.
  27. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

The.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Didn't...? Didn't these 2 have a conversation almost exactly like this but in reverse? She said she wasn't interested in women and described why she seemingly killed exclusively men? Then tell Paul about Eithane's feelings for him? And that she was trying to help translate the whole plant to meat language interaction barrier?

Jaron, Chaoswind and Bud-E like this.
  30. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Those words are basically anti-anti-life.

Otto von Saurion, kerleth and Vorian like this.