1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

May I say how gratifying it was that everyone understood my G'kar reference? It's nice to know that people are still watching the classics.

2. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Wouldn't this only apply in regions where the Abrahamic faiths are dominant? Also, would things like brushes and shrubs be affected? Because lots of places on earth don't have many trees, particularly places central to the last of the three. Not many oaks on the passage between Mecca and Medina, I'm afraid.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Apologies for being both a colonial and a philistine.

Both in-story and in mainline canon The Silver City and (most) associated aspects of the Abrahamic faiths are at least somewhat connected to The Source, so range isn't really much of an issue even ignoring that gods can operate well outside the bounds of their places of worship.

The Green, on the other hand, is basically a magic group-mind for every plant in the universe in mainline DC, but in-story it's more limited because of how magic works. It would still cover every plant on Earth though, including things like gut-flora.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Which is certainly impressive since there is no such thing as actual plants in gut flora.

Mostly bacteria, with some archaea and fungi thrown in for variety, but nothing the Green has any business claiming.

So Paul pulling that gut flora trick is like Aquaman claiming dominion over silverfish. "They're called fish, they count!" in Batman the Brave and the Bold.

5. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Makes you wonder if something similar happened with vampires and sunlight/ running water/ some of their other crippling weaknesses. If it isn't anything endemic to their being, so much as some really powerful doing a "I deny you the vitality of the air" to their entire racial template, or adding them to a previously established 'list of Creatures of Darkness'

And if particular old, old vampires start overcoming those weaknesses, it is because their individual power became too much for the power of the curse to affect fully, or at all.

Also, sucks for those few beings that happen to have a demonic nature, but not actually evil, or at least haven't actually done really evil act yet.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Cuchulin, Chaoswind, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The most obvious reason?

Because "If I can't have it nobody will" is a valid line of reasoning for demons, and the Forces of Hell could easily destroy Earth before the forces of the Silver City could stop them if they actually wanted to.

Thus the Silver City leaves the Forces of Hell with just enough operating room to keep thinking they have a chance of actually conquering Earth. And in turn the Forces of Hell keep trying for that chance and metaphorically bashing their heads against the cities walls instead of just blowing the city itself up.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

The seasonal allergies for anyone demon related...

8. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Tear gas wishes it was that effective.

9. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

One has the spear of Destiny making humans love tech. The other has a New God subtly manipulating his subjects.

So yeah... disappointing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm wondering if the "holy" effect will extend at all to foods made from plants. If so, everyone is more or less immune to demonic magic, as are most animals.

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not that Paul may care about that reason.

Heck it could have just been them believing that mortals need to be tempted to be allowed into paradise so they left the demons to run a mock.

The Green is more than just trees, so it should work, and the Green isn't connected to any one faith.

If Zoat is using Hellblazer canon for the vampires in this story then aside from sunlight, all of the other weaknesses are things the vamps can overcome just by not believing in them.

In Hellblazer, Constantine talked to the King of Vampires, who offered him vampirism and told him that aside from sunlight, all of the other weaknesses are more like annoyances or subconscious limitations that can be overcome in the same way a person can overcome some phobia or something like that.

And honestly, this may be the case in this story.

After Paul interviewed that female vampire, he told Guy that he ran several tests on her, including pulling out a number of religious symbols to see how she'd react.

At first there was nothing, but when he informed her that they were religious in nature, she immediately became uncomfortable.

Sha apparently couldn't even stare at his ring symbol by the end.

This kinda points to at least some vampires being like they were in Hellblazer.

If that's the case then older vampires may no longer by weakened by such things since they've had a long time to master themselves and no longer associate such things with harm.

It's also possible that they'd have a harder time dealing with it since they've probably believed in those things for a long time and it's not easy to let go of such long-held beliefs.

I don't think Heph still has the Spear.

If people find out then I'm expecting vegetarianism or veganism to become very popular.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

<bad pun>Holy cow!</bad pun>

13. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

29th October 2012
    23:59 GMT -3

Orange light shines out across the subterranean cavern, the various highly toxic alchemical substances that leaked down here from the Sheeda ship being unmade.

Dr. Isley shudders in relief. "Thank you. You have no idea what it felt like to have something that unnatural under my skin."

"Under your skin?"

She holds up her left arm and points at a slightly discoloured patch of skin. As I watch, the darker green gradually retreats until it's gone entirely.

"Are you..? Alright?"

"I finally have the connection to plant life that I used to think I had. Their strength is my strength and their pain is my pain." She shrugs. "It has its down sides, but I… I like it. I like being part of something bigger than myself, even if that's literal."

"As long as you're happy." I nod and smile. "And not murdering people, then it's all good."

"No, that's not something I do any more." She does a quiet laugh-snort. "I spend more time trying to keep people alive. With all the farmland Euanthe reforested, farming… Farming stopped. That wasn't a problem for the Accala or the other forest tribes, but the people who are still living in the cities were in danger of starving."

"Cities need to be fed by large areas of countryside in order to function. Did you persuade Euanthe to spare subsistence farms?"

"No, but I gave the fruit-bearing plants around them a boost and created some new super fruits." She shakes her head. "Hugo sent some missionaries, but the people still there aren't interested in learning."

"Learning..? To live in the forest?"

"We're not ordering everyone to live in caves. The Accala have homes. But high-density settlements don't have a place in the civilization we're building. They're not good for the land or for humans."

"Um…"

"We're trying to show people a better way to live. You've seen alien civilizations; you can't tell me that every species destroys their natural habitat to industrialise."

"You'd like Alstair and O. The Dominion use some plant-based technology, but… Yes. The path that the human species has taken is… Fairly typical. Magic-based civilisation are usually less antagonistic, but there aren't all that many of those. And then you've got the problem of civilisations which don't have the fuel to fully industrialise…"

"Could I visit those worlds? If I could see what they're doing differently, it could end up helping everyone."

"I think it would be better if I invited someone from there, here. I don't think having the person whose job it is to explain humans to Euanthe should wander too far away."

We turn away from the purified pool, plant roots already poking through the earth around us to drink from it. I put an environmental shield around both of us and up we go.

"You could do that."

"I've got a lot on." She smirks. "What?"

"I have been teaching Euanthe how to be more human. Did you know that she can shift herself into a more humanlike shape?"

We land back on the surface, and I withdraw my environmental shield. It's only a short walk back to the temple-palace, and with that problem dealt with I hope that Euanthe will be in a convivial mood.

"She's fairly human-looking now."

She rolls her eyes. "Do you need me to spell it out?"

"Yes. And if people did that more often they'd find their interactions with me much more productive."

"She told me that she wanted your 'meat'."

"She told me that she thought that was a way of thanking me for rescuing her."

"Plants don't have sex. Plant reproductive systems-."

"Dad was a biology teacher. I know how plant reproduction works."

"She looks like she does because she's -spiritually- humanlike. The reason she could even think about 'meating' you is because when she's more human she has human desires."

I frown. "I-."

"She's into you. I'm trying to set you up with her, is what I'm saying."

"And I'm saying that while I appreciate your consideration and directness, I'm perfectly happy in my present relationship."

Dr. Isley's eyes widen a little. "Oh, I-. Didn't know."

"No reason why you would. Honestly, I've been assuming that the two of you were together."

"Why?"

"Your obvious reverence for her and your victim profile."

She frowns. "You thought I killed men because I was gay?"

"Not because, but if I had to guess your orientation based on how good your relationships with-."

"No, no, I mostly killed men because they were the leading polluters and industrialists, and because it was easy because I could control their minds. I… When I was Poison Ivy, I found the idea of any sort of physical intimacy with any… Meat, revolting. Any flirting was just… Contempt for their… Meat-ness."

"Ah. I apologise for my presumption. Are you..? How are you doing now?"

"I'm not seeing anyone. I know I… Could, but-. I killed a lot of people as Poison Ivy. I don't… Back.. how I was then, I wouldn't have hurt Euanthe."

I nod. "She's safe for you to be around, but you're not sure who else would be. You're scared of relapsing."

"Swamp Thing fixed my brain, but behaviors are habit-forming. I think it's… Best, if I limit how close I get to people."

"Thank you for trusting me enough to exempt me."

"Please. You're no more at risk than Euanthe."

"Are you sure? I know that I've got plant matter in my body, and Euanthe banned me from directly controlling them."

"You can control-?"

The root-covered street in front of me blisters and writhes, existing ground cover shoved aside as a… Seed pod emerges from the ground, turning from near-white to mid-green to brown as it swells to two metres in height.

"I didn't think Euanthe-?"

Bramble armour slides into place over Dr. Isley's body.

"It's not her."

The seed pod cracks and splits, husk falling away and shrivelling up to reveal a cream coloured manikin-like feminine humanoid. For a moment it looks like it's about to collapse, then it steadies itself and looks directly at me.

"Hello?"

"Orange Lantern. I am Persephone, Queen of Erebos, and I wish to petition Hephaestaean for a divorce."

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'me'.

This is going to be interesting.

15. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

So... John Constantine is under the fanon Muggle repelling spell right?

"I need to find john con- did I leave the stove on?"

Repeat as needed.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

you -> your

17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Well, that got called good and proper.

The Laughing Magician continues having good cause to laugh at Paul. "I'm supposed to be looking for John Con- Ooh, look, a squirrel!"

18. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

she could have just gone to Heph, he reasonable enough to do it

no need to go to Paul

yeah, John is definitely fucking with Paul by shoving issue at him

mauke, Vorian, Senevri and 10 others like this.
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it's because people in the know are aware that if you want to do something that will definitely be against the status quo, Orange Lantern is the man you turn to.

20. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Tell that to the dense populations that used to live in the Amazon prior to the introduction of small pox and other European diseases. I'm surprised that Euanthe doesn't support traditional amazonian style farming practices, the kind that enriched the earth and created terra preta(turning some of the world's worst soil into some of the best) over the modern slash and burn style.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She probably isn't aware of it. Maybe some Amazons can visit and teach her this.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'points'

Yeah, citites can be hell on mental health.

Or to manipulate the forest if the missionaries were druids.

They're not the friendliest.

'civilisations'

'wander'

Yeah, he does.

So true.

He doesn't really give off relationship vibes.

That's a bit prejudiced.

People can kill people of the opposite gender even if they're attracted to said gender and the reverence can be her viewing her as a goddess without being sexually attracted to her.

You can just remove them.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, and she may not be all that close to Heph but if she can convince the guy that seems to be his closest ally then he can convince Heph to do it.

Jaron and Ngamer11 like this.
  24. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

What is her new role going to be, once she gets divorced? Her Underworld associations are actually stronger than her "goddess of spring" associations, so that'll be... interesting. She seems perfectly poised to act in some role that straddles the line of "living plants" and "dead plants". If you don't consider the awkwardness of dealing with her ex-husband, that is.

Maybe something like a goddess of ecosystems, plant fertilization, and the life cycle? Like, a fertility/birth goddess but focused on plants, since for plants, there's a much more tangible association between death and new birth, with the fertilizer for the new generation being made from the corpses of the old.

The live-death-life pattern of "plants → food for animal → animal carcass/manure → fertilizer → plants" is perfectly within her wheelhouse (greenhouse?) as a goddess with strong ties to both the Underworld and to the Green.

Also for real girl, you've had literally thousands of years with a loving husband who's completely devoted to you, you couldn't Cat Stark it and learn to love him? Smh.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Bullshit... One of Poison Ivy's staples is her sexual relationship with Harley Quinn.

Maybe LePaul will do the smart thing and suggest they get relationship consoling?

26. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

You know Pauls old complaint about the Earth 12 league not sticking around to deal with things when they went to -14?

The part about not sticking around to finish a job?

This is what finishing the job looks like......

27. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

I kind of want to lament the MC having the most bland, unexciting and unemotional (coloured text doesn't qualify by itself) of all romance options, but then I remember that Cheshire used to be the exotic choice way back as well, so anyone else would've probably ended up normalized like that, too XD

Deadring, protoss16, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Maybe Harley Quinn was just special, and since she didn't go clown in this universe, that possibility never happened?

Finagle007, kerleth and JoTa34 like this.
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. So, she's bonded herself to the local plant-life? Not unsurprising, it probably makes it easier to work through the Green that way. But still, isn't that the kind of backsliding OL should be worried about?

...So, how much of her body has equivalence to the local area? Are there parts that are more... Sensitive than others? :oops:

And no feelings of... Misanthropy? No concerning desires to kill human beings? Because that would be kind of bad.

Sadly, such is the way of developed civilisations. Basically' three meals from chaos' and all that.

...They'd rather have the old ways of tear chunks of forest out, plant hard and fast, then move on when the land gives up the ghost? Idiots.

And the city folk are probably still thinking of their cushy cement-box homes and power-hungry appliances, aren't they? :rolleyes:

The trick, though, is learning to care about the environment before you break it beyond repair. More than a few advanced civilisations out there in DC space probably didn't.

I don't know... Can you bear to be separated from Earth's Green for that long? Can you even manage to connect to another planet's Green equivalent? Even Swamp Thing had trouble with that, and he's the Avatar of the Green.

And it probably helps to have her where the suspicious folks can see her, instead of disappearing off-world for god knows how long.

Remember, find John Constantine! Keep that in mind, OL. Focus!

As long as she won't give someone splinters in sensitive places, it's all good. :p

Probably a good idea. Because, somehow, OL's denseness has avoided becoming in-universe legend.

And this is why I asked about splinters.

Let's just say his wood wouldn't be going into her honeypot, at least in the sense you're thinking. Though... With the right texture of leaves and suitably lubricating oils... x3

Which must leave her with rather confused urges sometimes.

See, that's the level of clear intent you need to work with OL. Finally, someone lays it straight.

And I don't think Jade would be up for the sort of deal Constantine made with Swamp Thing and Abby Arcane... Not that it could work that way, anyway.

Because Comics Ivy has a long history of Misandry and... how to phrase this... Homonormative relationships. Or at least, the writers keep pushing her that way...

...Because Lesbians in comics are easy mode for representation. :rolleyes:

And since someone is already complaining: Alternate universe, Alternate Character Interpretation. Not every version of Ivy likes the ladies that way.

But some guys still do get your dander up. Jason 'Floronic Man' Woodrue, for instance.

...So maybe not the best choice as a high priestess, who would have to be around people.

This is true. Power Rings Are Awesome.

...Not control, per se, but... Encourage certain behaviours in the micro-flora. Remember him taking Guy Kilowog down with a gutache?

She wouldn't need a display like this. She'd just flow and melt out of the wood.

Oh, that's a nice trick.

Huh. I suppose she hasn't been out in a few thousand years (Olympus doesn't count,) so she's a little out of practice at making avatars?

Well, everyone saw that decision coming. But why come to OL instead of Hephaestaean? Well, OL has more or less been acting as his secretary-slash-seneschal-slash-Herald. She likely expects the big 'borg would be more inclined to hear the request if it's passed on by OL. And to be fair, Hepaestaean probably has no stake in the matter beyond keeping his Pantheon stable. OL can at least advise her about options regarding Hades.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I dn't think John's Snychronicity magic was ever tested against a sanish Orange Lantern.

He's fixing problems in a rate thst will make the spell overheat at this point.

And it will become a problem if the magic starts creating problems to have something to throw at Paul.