1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

So if Brasilia is in the Green, it's joining the ranks of cities like Rahnma Khan's then.

Benevolent Warlords seem like a stopgap until they can find the source of the Anti-Life and then destroy it. Short term solution to make the long term possible.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Contempt. If I actually player Warhammer then I'd probably hate it.

3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I’ve heard that it’s actually decent now, despite how horrendously bad it was at first. I don’t actually play it or read any of the books though, so take that with a grain of salt.

moralrelativity likes this.
  4. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Might be time to go to Themyscira and have Diana lead you to another talk with Gaia.

5. Mr Zoat

To to-hit roll is unaffected by your opponent's weapon skill.

I need nothing else.

But if I did, the fact that there are literally no formations would do it.

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Because English can verb nouns at will. It's a feature.

its

Why does this sound like a baby-and-bathwater solution?

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Oh… What if the Anti-Life effect isn’t turned off at the end of this? What if it has to slowly fade, cooling like a heated vessel over weeks or longer? I realize this isn’t how Anti-Life is normally portrayed, but these are exceptional circumstances. Paul might have a hard time recognizing the world when he returns.

I wonder if anyone in his Corps will manage to divine the name of the Reach members who are assigned to study and kill Paul.

moralrelativity, Vorian and Bud-E like this.
  8. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

A really fucked up but interesting plot point would be if after the League become Warlords a part of the populace want them to continue. Like the Anti-Life permanently fucked with their minds and they need "New-Gods" to lead them or they can't function or worse some other "Gods" will take their place.

9. Reece

Reece Iceberg Slim is my role model

Is there an easy way to find all the side story stuff? Like just the warhammr stuff, just The Boys stuff?

kerleth likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Brim Stoned (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

4th December 1998
    07:21 GMT -7

I can't help but feel that I'm being indolent about the whole thing, but… I've gotten into the habit of having breakfast in a café.

"For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness."

Nothing crazy; though I could use the ring to deal with the consequences of a daily Full English Breakfast, given my current role I don't want to become that sort of person. It's disingenuous to lecture people about sin and the virtue of self-sacrifice while gorging yourself on meals that your forebears ate because lunch hadn't been invented yet and it had to see them through until the evening.

"What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death."

I've really got to sort out something regarding my residential status. I don’t think that I can just buy whatever the American equivalent of Indefinite Leave to Remain is, which is really inconvenient. I have no documentation for anywhere, and… I don't think that I want to become a citizen. I think that the possibility of conscripting people with superpowers is something that the US military probably shouldn't be tempted with.

Particularly given that most of the available superhumans come from hell, apparently.

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life."

The British government can issue a draft, but it requires an Act of Parliament, and that's not going to happen. I mean, 1998? That's before the War on Terror. From the news reports I've caught on the televisions I've seen in various bars the Kosovo War is currently going on. Honestly, I'd forgotten that even happened until I saw a news report… Here. And I don't even remember that much about it now. The best I've been able to dredge up is that every ethnic group in the Balkans hate each other and will kill each other at the drop of a hat, but after the Bosnia War other countries were actually paying attention this time and Serbia got bombed until they stopped. And that Paddy Ashdown ran the government for a while after stepping down from the leadership of the Liberal Democrat party.

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

It was probably a lot more complicated.

I could involve myself, but it's the Balkans. It's a byword for fractiousness and violence and has been for over a century. I don't have enough charge to just fly around doing whatever I want. Without something specific to do, not only would I out myself and perhaps the others, I wouldn't do anything that American airpower won't do in a few months anyway. So it-.

The priest pulls out the chair opposite me and slumps down. For a moment he just looks around at the passers-by who had been trying to ignore him. Then he turns his attention to me.

"What did you think?"

"I… Don’t really have anything to compare it to. Though I do respect your willingness to engage in public oratory. Goodness knows I wouldn't want to."

"No. No." He leans forward. He's… I'd guess in his fifties, jaw length grey hair parted in the middle and combed back behind his ears. Face is.. angular, and to be honest his focus is a little off-putting. "Romans Six. I hear that you have an interest in theology."

R-ight, what was-. Ah, shazbot.

"I'm sorry, I didn't recognise you."

"Oh, I don't think that matters. After all, I didn't write it."

"It's a little more merciful than reality, I suppose." I shrug. "The wages of sin aren't death; they're eternal torment."

"Is that worse?"

"I'd say not, but I've never experienced eternal torment and a straw poll of those who have suggests that it's not an easy choice to make. I wonder if the verse was intended for the ears of Roman pagans, who could understand the idea of a god rewarding them with eternal life in heaven in exchange for obeying its laws more easily than the idea that that god had always been in control of things." I gesture to him with my right hand. "I'm sure you know better than me."

"I do." He nods. "I do. Which is why I really don't understand…" His face hardens. "Why you're pushing me on this."

I blink. "Really? You just read chapter and verse declaring that people should be righteous in exchange for eternal life, and that not doing so would result in oblivion, and you don't understand why I'm pushing you?"

"Oh, you think you're in the right." He fishes a bible out of his cassock. "Do you want me to find the parts about obedience to the will of God?"

I shrug.

"'If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.'"

I shrug again.

"And if I remember correctly, the Catholic Church is in the middle of a massive paedophilia cover-up at the moment, so I'm less inclined than might otherwise be the case to take their advice on the nature of God when I can't check their sources. Though if you're trying to warn me about the sin of pride, first, thank you. Second, I know that the powerful are inclined to forget that might doesn't make right because they don't need to remember it as much as less powerful people and I'm trying to make sure that I can take input from other people in the spirit in which it is intended."

"The people you're trying to save had their chance, the same chance everyone gets. Them being sent back where they belong is exactly what they deserve."

"See, I hear what you're saying, but you don't have the… Best reputation for honesty. My.. sponsor.. told me a few stories-."

"Your sponsor literally has a forked tongue."

"And it's playing to my prejudices, I did spot that. But the thing is, my sponsor has been nothing but helpful. Whereas you've been a dick. Not just to Detective Stone, but… Every time you meet him, you're encouraging vice amongst the people he sees you with."

"Tempting people is kinda my job."

"'I was just doing my job' hasn't been a valid excuse since the Nuremberg Trials. And probably a bit before that." I shrug. "Are you under some sort of obligation? Because… It occurs to me that… You know, if you've got enough freedom to get yourself into this position, you've probably got enough freedom to take a different approach to your work. Have you ever tried..? Not subjecting people to eternal torment?"

"Every job has some perks. I've seen every evil mankind has heaped upon itself, and I know perfectly well that the people it was dumped onto would return the favour if they could. Like your friend Miss DuBare, for instance."

I look away.

"Should have seen this coming."

He favours me with a hard smile. "You really should. Because since 'Zeke' is no longer reliable, I've been forced to bring in extra help."

"No, you chose to. It's your decision. Don’t be so cowardly as to pretend otherwise."

"Alright." His posture relaxes, his smile becoming a little more honest. "I chose to bring in extra help. If I'd realised how cheaply they were prepared to work I wouldn't have bothered with Detective Stone in the first place."

"So now you value personal satisfaction above discharging your responsibilities effectively?"

"Oh, there's no need to worry. When you become one of my special guests, I'll be sure to give you the attention you deserve."

"Why, thank you, but I wonder if you've really thought this though."

"Oh, go on. I'm fascinated to hear what you have to say."

"If Miss DuBare takes an impromptu trip downstairs, then the only way for me to recover her… Is to pull the metaphorical trigger, get you fired and take your place."

He sniggers to himself.

Hm. I lean forward a little.

"If you don’t think-."

He leans forward suddenly, staring into my eyes from an inch away.

"Take it as a sign of how much I hate you that I'm tempted to let you have it."

Then he leans back and stands, face back to normal. He flashes me an obviously fake smile.

"I'll see you on Sunday!"

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  11. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

The implication being that he's as much of a prisoner in hell as the rest of the inmates I think.

12. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

i have no idea what going on in this side piece

all i know is that people in Hell escape and some guy is going up to take them back and Paul have moral/philosophical issue with this whole thing

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"if the verse"

So it's the Ophidian, or a local version?

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

What is it with Orange Ring using Paul's suddenly becoming idiots when they have to deal with people connected to theology who are stronger then them?

Otto von Saurion and Istaran like this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, back with old B-grade 90's TV. If that. Though if Paul here is in the same sort of situation as Zeke, then he's kind of stuck with cafés, lacking any permanent residence. Though with a functioning Power Ring, he shouldn't have any money troubles...

Though I suspect you could do without the sermon...

And there's no guarantee that your own power will last for any amount of time. At which point, they'd dump you on their science guys to let them try to reverse-engineer the Ring. And that won't be likely...

...Yeah, that sums up the situation about right. Getting used as the doormat of Europe for a thousand years or more didn't improve matters any either...

Indeed...

...Well, this is significant. Best to pay attention...

I can understand the desire to sit back and keep your head down. Limited Ring charge and all that... And trying to warn about things yet to come might well get you disappeared by people curious as to how you know...

Hello, Satan. Or are you an Angel today?

And when you're dealing with a major Power, you'd do well to be polite...

Total Cessation, or an eternity of suffering. Hard choice.

Pity they were more likely to end up downstairs than on high...

Ol' Jack's got a bit of a blind spot, doesn't he?

Since this Paul is probably still soundly in the Atheist camp, and has little tolerance for 'jumped-up elementals'...

And what if you're not interested in either option? I doubt either side is particularly patient with fence-sitters...

...On the other hand, Paul technically doesn't have a Soul. I don't know how important that is in this universe, but I suspect that'll be a problem eventually...

Oh? Do tell, who is backing you, Paul? Someone scaly, perhaps?

Hmm... The Ophidian, playing up the 'Serpent of Eden' drabble it was credited with? Or perhaps another player in Hell... Since in some theology, Satan is not a Name, but a Title.

Probably comes with the territory. Or God's picky, and his man downstairs has to work with what he's given...

And if humanity has Free Will, that was her choice. No fair using a few bad apples to sours the entire basket.

Then again, he's unreliable mostly because you tried to give him the mushroom treatment. And now you're surprised he's not happy? Pity it's too early for 'Shocked Pikachu Face' to be a meme yet. :p

Ah, scab labour. The problem is, will they cause more trouble in the long run than they're worth? Or is that not your problem?

What makes you think he's under anyone's jurisdiction, Nicky?

Are you sure? Are you really sure? :p

Unexpected reaction. Confidence borne of ignorance, or does he know something Paul doesn't?

:confused: ...I can feel the smug from here.

Ah. Ahhh... Grown a bit sick of the day job, eh? Looking to pass the keys on to some unsuspecting patsy?

I see someone's trying to play a long game...

Hmm... Interesting discussion, and a suggestive revelation at the end there. Perhaps this Satan is growing sick of ruling in Hell, and would like to go back to serving in Heaven, eh? But he can't just leave the throne empty... At any rate, it looks like both sides might be concerned with Paul's place on the board of the game. Nothing like a wild card to spice up a stagnant match...

17. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Allow me to take this opportunity to quote another book dealing with the morality of eternal punishment, from a conversation of another powerful character with the literal devil:

--Unsong

In the face of such evil, being good may be hard, but it's at least not complicated.

18. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

As the saying goes, if both sides hate you, it's obvious that you must be doing something right.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It sounded more like the job was so horrible that he literally wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy.

20. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

That's actually an interesting point. Is the Ophidian roughly the same in every setting that Paul ends up in with an orange ring? Does that mean that it gets transported/copied along with the ring and Paul in order to make it work? Or that in the Paul universe the Ophidian is an omniversal entity like the Endless? And if it's the former, do the other emotional spectrum entities get dragged along with it or would that require someone else with the respective ring color getting SI'd there first? Also, I assume that even if the Ophidian was crossovered to this setting, Larfleeze and all the events that led to the Ophidian's imprisonment weren't necessarily. They were in the various DC universes, but at the very least there are some universes where it just can't be the case. Like the Marvel amd WH40k ones.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'd still like an explanation as to how this version of the SI is able to charge his ring. Also, what does he call himself here?

22. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Do u know what was up with the mushroom or Paul's benefactor?

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Either this sentence has been cut short or it’s just missing a full stop.

25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

And this is where my lack of familiarity with Brimstone is tripping me up. I have no idea who that Priest Guy is, besides the fact he apparently gives orders to Detective Stone.

Kinda funny for the guy to talk about people going back to hell when Christianity has the whole thing about Jesus being the lamb of God and through believing in him and true repentance you can have your sins forgiven.

...this just reminds me why I'm interested in learning more about Jewish theology.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's Satan. He let out Detective Stone to find the escapees. However, now that the SI has interfered, he needs to hire more damned souls to help him out.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

It seems like this is gonna be one of those universes where humanity invades hell only to realize that hell being shitty is more the fault of heaven and so they invade heaven and nuke god.

So... the Salvation War.

29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Or Left Beyond Quest.

30. Threadmarks: Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Fleet Traction

Earth 534834

7th February 1992
    23:12 GMT +3

The stars are out, the wind is gentle and I'm sure that if I turned towards the sea I'd see a sight that would put me in awe of the natural world when transformed by the multi-million dollar investment of a burgeoning tourist industry.

But darn does Anne-Marie fill out that bikini… Delightfully. And… I know it's not her power that does it. Sure, that gives her strength, but Ashley Crawford's strong in her augmented form and she's… Nothing like this sculpted. No, super strength actually makes staying in shape more difficult, because you seldom have to exert yourself in the way that makes the human body build muscle. Her stomach is flat with just a hint of muscle because she's spent a lot of time under one of the X-Gym's pneumatic presses, exerting herself against colossal weights.

Her breasts on the other hand are the result of a combination of good genes and good diet, though I appreciate them every bit as much. Her hips are in perfect proportion, her neck elegant and her mouth smiling as her eyes look directly at me…

I maintain eye contact for a few moments.

"In my defence, you look really good."

"Ah don't see no problem with you lookin', sugah." She leans against the balcony's railing, hair flipped back and chest thrust forward, something she doesn't really need to do. "Long as you don't mind me lookin' back some."

"I have no objection, though I'm.. honestly not sure that I'd notice."

"Aw, you don't got no need-" She walks over to me, placing her right hand on my left pectoral muscle and her left on my abdomen. "-to worry none. You're pretty pleasin' to the eye yourself."

I smile a.. little awkwardly, even as I feel my ring start to shine entirely on its own without any input from me at all. I'm not really sure where it's okay to put my.. hands in this sort of-.

Anne-Marie looks mildly disgruntled for a moment, then takes a half-step back.

"Anne-Marie-." / "Is there some-?"

I stop, waiting slightly nervously for her to resume talking. She looks… Nervously back at me.

"Is there..? Some kinda problem..?"

"Problem?"

"You..?"

We look at each other in nervous incomprehension for a moment.

"D'y'all..? Not… Find me attractive?"

I blink. "I find you extremely attractive. Um. I'm just-. Sometimes I'm not sure-. I mean, don't know exactly what I'm meant to do..?"

"'cause y'all were just gawpin' like a-"

"Oh! Right, sorry, I-"

"-landed catfish-"

"-wasn't-. Catfish?"

"-and ah was… Hopin'…" She blushes faintly, looking away.

"Hoping..?"

"We've been together more 'an two months, an' we still ain't…" She looks me directly in the eyes, as if trying to prompt me to-.

"Are you talking about having sex?"

" Yes, Gawd. Ah weren't expectin' nothin' on the first date, then it was two, an' three, and a month-"

"Oh, I-."

"-and two, an' you tole me you weren't religious-"

"No, but I thought-."

"-so is there some kinda problem?" She looks down at my crotch. Then blinks. "'cause it sure don't look like there's a problem."

"Ah, no, it's-. I know Americans are generally more religious than British people and I thought that you'd wait until we were married." I shrug as her eyes go back to my face. "I didn't-. I am very much interested, and… I told you what the ring does where my desires are concerned, and I.. sometimes have to reel it in a bit, but that's not because I don’t want to have sex with you."

"Oh. That's…" She looks awkward, raising her right hand to brush a wayward strand of hair out of her face. "Real… Ah. Gentlemanly."

We look at each other awkwardly, but the… The tension is… Reduced, at least.

"Y'all know.. I don't go to church no more."

"Yes, but… I thought that was because you… Associate it with where you.. grew up, and-. Well, the fact that you don't go doesn't mean that you don't still… That you don't still think that's the right way to live."

"Oh." She looks away, blushing a little more. "So how long were you figuring on keeping me waiting, s-?"

"I currently intend to propose to you on the fifth of September."

She blinks. "Okay? What's so special about the fifth of September?"

"It's precisely nine months after I realised that I love you. I-." I frown. "I did tell you, didn't I? I'm sure I-."

"No, you-. You tole me. Thought you were going to pick me up and carry me upstairs."

"I'll…" I nod. "Remember to do that, though-."

No, now isn't the time to tell her that I read Gone With The Wind when I was fourteen because Mum said that I was reading too much science fiction and fantasy, and that I ended up wanting every named character except Melanie to be hanged.

"Though it wasn't a line, or-. Look, if you don't want to-. If you want to have sex before that, I'm perfectly-. Perfectly happy…"

She frowning thoughtfully. "Why nine months?"

"Oh, the… The human brain is… The infatuation period of the relationship lasts… About six months? And the brain sort of encourages you to fixate on your partner and ignore any… Potential problems? I'm…" I bow my head slightly, smiling. "I'm besotted with you. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else, but I also know that I'm… Sort of not in my right mind at the moment, and… Rationally, it would be more sensible to wait until we both… Were, before making a lifetime commitment."

She looks like she doesn't quite know what to think.

"That… That might not have been the best decision I ever made. Um. But I… I remember that we're superheroes, and… That's not about doing what you feel like, but about setting the best possible example, and…"

And I shouldn't mention that I got that from Thermoman.

"And you're worth waiting another seven months for? I mean, look at you. And everything you've done. You're extremely desirable, and I do desire you."

She thinks for a moment, eyes not meeting mine. Then she walks right up to me and wraps her arms around my neck, staring me in the eyes with a look of ferocious sincerity.

"Ah ain't. Waitin'. Seven. Months."

"Um. Caution to the wind, then? Can you give me five minutes to grab an engagement-?"

And then heavily armoured soldiers break down the door and tase us both.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022