1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is the sublime a thing in this reality? I don't think it was a thing in Wolverine and the X-Men either, but Zoat could be doing his own thing.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Cable is mostly puzzled. He found out on canon Genosha that what he thought he knew about history wasn't completely correct, and at the moment nothing huge has happened.
    No, he thought that anyway.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You'd be surprised what people from the Marvel universe can tolerate.

That's not going to be problematic.

No siree.

That hasn't stopped people and governments from the Marvel universe from doing it before.

Sad but true.

Also true in the real world.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Doccer and 3 others like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Magneto has two motivations for his life.

See mutants survive and prosper, and killing all humans for revenge.

True, what you proposed would see mutants prosper and allow him to get his revengeon humanity by denying them the universe.

However the revenge he wants is a bit more visceral and bloody.

Also this.

mastermenthe, Ardy, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Heck, it may actually be worse since he could think they're trying to copy mutants.

To be fair, a lot of people may think that.

Plus, it does make for a cool line.

Not to mention he's probably been rejuvenated a few times.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  6. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Taking all the mutants and fucking off into space . . . I mean, it's an idea. Albeit an idea that implicitly declares equality and civil rights and all that other stuff is completely useless and the real answer was apparently segregation all along.

But that's okay. Marvel basically came to the same conclusion with shit like Krakoa.

Though they had a fun bit where it's being claimed that in every single timeline the mutants inevitably lose to humanity. And not because of extermination, but because human technology just advances to the point that mutants become completely irrelevant.

"Who cares if one mutant awakens when we can freely create superhumans."

Advanced technologies including cybernetics and more AIs and the like allow humanity to just completely bypass the so-called "evolutionary future" people like Magneto never shut the fuck up about . . . And all mutants have to look forward to is being placed in a glorified zoo. Curiosities for the rest of humanity to look and laugh at for thinking that they were the future.

mastermenthe, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I was just about to have lunch! There goes my appetite.

8. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

I rather liked the idea of moving to Mars myself, but that would abandon the remaining mutants on earth.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sentence confuses me...
    Do you mean: Not that he thought if anyway.
    With he meaning either the senator or Magneto?
    Or: No, he thought if that already.
    With he meaning either Magneto or more likely Paul and Paul had already used that argument?

Also what of the argument that humans, mutants or not, are already getting powers or inventing advance shit out the wazoo so more likely as a long as there are humans there will be mutants?
    If the sentinels go Days of future past will Paul be using that as further proof of killing mutants as an asinine decision? Because all they're really doing is killing themselves?

10. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

*cough*

Ardy and Assblaster5000 like this.
  11. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

What did Paul do to make Magneto THAT hostile I wonder? And the fact that Paul went to Magneto for marriage advice... Wow.

Ardy likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

The Senator thought that anyway.
    Yes, but that's a tiny number compared to the number of mutants.
    I like to think that he'd rise above that impulse.

13. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

It took me a bit to figure out what he was trying to say without this word.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's not a valid correction, and that's not what he was saying. He was saying that aside from Magneto there was only one other person he'd talked to at length who had been in that kind of relationship.

15. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

This is true but i think the person originally brought up magneto and the brotherhood of evil mutants' existence validating this belief not because a single politician believes it but due to its ability to sway others to that position as well.

One nutjob screaming about the dangers of mutants doesn't do much to turn off logic with fear nationwide if he can't point to a large super powered international terrorist organization. So magneto and his team not giving the nightly news a new killing spree to show would help his cause more than assasinating elected officials.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Mr. Lensherr only started doing that after the anti-mutant protests started. This isn't one bad politician starting a campaign, this is an opportunist politician connecting to the popular mood.

Ardy, Bramble Thorn, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  17. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Wonder why this was black. Killing intent? Because I wouldn’t think that Paragon would feel bad about killing some evil deities.
    Shame. It’s my favourite part of the powerset.
    ‘reinforcements’?
    ‘tap’
    ‘so my construct’?
    If Paragon means to be using the Latin species name, it should be ’neanderthalensis’, I think. Unless the name was different in the past? Also shouldn’t be capitalised, I think, for both neanderthalensis and sapiens.

18. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Correct. Genera are capitalized; species and subspecies are not. Hence (for the latter, for instance) Homo sapiens sapiens is the correct formatting

(Also scientific names are always italicised).

Xelloss and Duke Long like this.
  19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Mags doesn't seem to understand that a small number of Genes is all that separates Humans from Mutants, so they are genetically less separate from modern humans than Neanderthals.

Ardy likes this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Considering mutates aren't considered separate from humans, it's actually a single gene difference.

The X-Gene is a single gene, on Earth-616 stated to be on the 23rd genome. The X-Men met mutants from another universe where the X-gene is on the 13th chromosome, though, so that's not a constant.

Which causes the body to produce a mutagenic enzyme, aka mutant growth hormone, which causes further mutated DNA, apparently tied into one's own biochemistry, hence mutations often being variations on a theme in families.

Using Magneto as an example- Lorna, also magnetic, Wanda, also an energy manipulator, and Quicksilver? His speed it turns out is energy based- He met a much faster future version of himself who was faster because he learned how to fuel his speed with the electromagnetism he inherited from Magneto.

That is until Wanda and Pietro were retconned in a way that makes no damn sense whatsoever.

One of Pietro's feats is using magnetism to break out of manacles. While his eyes glow with electromagnetic like Magneto's. So Pietro inherited magnetism powers from someone who isn't his father, uh huh....

mastermenthe, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Threadmarks: Meanwhile on Earth 534834 (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Earth 534834

8th February 1992
    11:55 GMT -5

"Ah… Look… Buddy." The guard at the gate doesn't look unsympathetic, but he's also carrying an assault rifle and I've switched to normal clothing. "Even if there was someone by that name here, without some kind of authorisation I can't even let you make a phone call."

"Okay, so…" Um. "Okay, if I wrote a letter, would that get delivered, if it turned out that there was someone on the base by that name?"

"We check all the letters for explosives and chemicals, and anything that shows up gets destroyed."

"And I applaud your thoroughness, but if it's just pen and ink?"

"Oh, that'd go through. And even if the person it was addressed to wasn't on the base, we'd try and track 'em down so they get it."

He nods in a reassuring way, still smiling, still with his finger about a centimetre from the trigger of his rifle. Sure it wouldn't do anything to me, but it would be unnecessarily confrontational for me to set him off. And it might genuinely change popular opinion on people with super powers at a time when attitudes are… Under stress.

Now, I know perfectly well that Ms. Dane is on the base. I can literally see her in training with… A couple of people I vaguely remember from… Some Marvel comic I once read. Set after… M-Day, I think? Multiple Man threw himself of a building, and something about Layla McGuffin? Can't remember what the team was called, though it is interesting that even while the legislature and executive are pounding the table about 'unstable mutations', whatever part of the military-industrial complex is sponsoring this place is… Well, sponsoring this place.

"What if it was a matter of life and death? Or-. Nonono, not me, not me. Not me." He'd started to raise his gun slightly, though now he's just frowning. "I mean, if a person had particular information about a threat, and wished to relay it to a trusted party."

"Listen… You're not getting in. If you've got some sort of intelligence you wanna pass on, I can get you a number to call? But that stuff won't get dealt with here."

I sigh.

I could just fly in there. In testing anti-tank weapons would break my barrier, but even American military bases don't have those laying around the place ready to go. But… No.

"Alright. Thank you. Sorry for making your life unnecessarily diff-."

"What seems to be the problem here?"

A blonde man in fatigues walks up to the gate from inside the base. I don't recognise him, unlike Ms. Dane who like her boyfriend and fellow ex-X-Man Mr. Drake has pictures in various places in Professor Xavier's mansion.

The guard draws himself up. "Nothing to worry about, sir. The guy's just leaving."

He regards me for a moment, then recognition dawns. "Don’t you usually glow orange?"

"It's not compulsory."

"I'm gunna need a little more than that. There's a mutant terrorist known as Mystique, and she's a shapeshifter. For all I know, you could be her."

"That's a fair point." I hold out my left hand, ring glowing. Then I float off the ground. "I don’t believe that Ms. Darkhölme can replicate non-physical abilities?"

"That works. What did you want?"

"To speak with Ms. Lorna Dane. Current X-Man to former X-Man, concerning a matter which I believe concerns her."

"There a reason why you couldn't phone ahead?"

"There are elements of the United States government that are a bit down on people with the x-gene at the moment, and I didn't want to say anything that might be overheard."

"That shouldn't be a problem here. I'm a mutant myself."

"Would you mind if I verify that?"

He raises his right hand and… A field of golden plasma manifests around it.

I shake my head. "There are other ways to do that. Do you mind? The ring is perfectly capable of detecting the x-gene."

"Like a handheld Cerebro." He shrugs. "Go ahead."

Ring, show me his DNA. Ah, yes, that's the x-

Partial match found.

-gene-. Ah. Who?

Scott Summers. Most likely relationship: sibling.

I blink. Oh, sometimes you pull a thread and the whole world comes apart.

"I'm… Sorry, this is probably going to… Sound like it's coming out of nowhere, but… Is your name Alexander Summers?"

"It was. I changed it to Alex Blanding after I got adopted. Do you..? Know me?"

"I work with your brother." I find myself smiling. "He thinks you're… You died in the plane crash. He'll-."

"Scott-!" He gawps for a few moments. "Wha-? What d'you mean, he's-. He's not dead?"

"No. Look." I take a team photograph out of subspace and hold it up to the gate. "The big bloke in-"

His hand is shaking as he takes it.

"-the blue and yellow, with the visor. Um. I'm a bit surprised that Ms. Dane didn't mention him, actually. They were on the team at the same time."

"Cyclops is… Ah."

"Yes. Um, do you want his number? I… Think he's probably at the Mansion right now. Did-? Did you know who Cyclops is?"

"Lorna…" He shakes his head, eyes fixed on the photograph. "Lorna called him 'Scott' a couple of times. I didn't-. I didn't think it was him."

"I guess that's understandable."

"I haven't-. I haven't spoken to him for… Not since-."

"Well…" I generate a card with the Mansion's number on it. "Take a moment to get yourself together, and-" I pass it over. "Phone him."

"Right. Ah." He stares at it for a moment, then shakes his head. "We.. can't let you on the base, but I can… Ah. Go see if there's anyone called 'Lorna Dane' inside who's willing to come out here."

"Thank you, I'd appreciate it."

He slides the card into his fatigues, and points his hands downwards and blasts off, falling with style towards the building where Ms. Dane is exercising her powers.

The guard's just sort of staring at me.

"This sort of thing happens a lot in this job. You just sort of learn to roll with it."

"Uh-huh. Don't suppose you're actually authorised to view classified information, are you?"

"I'm not even authorised for a green card."

"Is that legal?"

I shrug. "I'm here on a student visa, and British people don’t actually need-."

Ms. Dane flies out of their training room and heads in our direction.

"Don't need visas for short stays. Polaris!"

"Orange Lantern." She shakes her head. "I can't believe I didn't realise that Scott was his brother. Ah, you wanted something?"

"Speaking of brothers, can I assume that you aren't aware of having a half-brother and a half-sister living in Europe at the moment?"

"What?"

"Because I told your natural father and it appeared to come as a shock, so…"

"What?"

23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’in this’

24. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Lantern is really good at creating these situations.

25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Was Havock in the 90's X-Men cartoon? I don't remember him also is this some type of military base?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  26. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"Orange Lantern, just how the hell did you cause Magento and the X-Men to have an international incident in Europe, as well as half a dozen family reunions with people who thought their families were dead, or just happened to have secret kids they never knew about?"

"I'm really good at inviting people to weddings."

27. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

I reiterate. A walking talking confusion generator. He's like that ancestry tracking service. He's been consistently reconnecting lost family members. It's fucking hilarious.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Now who's Lantern looking for? I'm pretty sure he's hit up all the usual suspects. And what X-men affiliate or foe would be on what I presume is an American military site? Well... Let's watch and find out. :D

...What about advanced nanotech? Stuff that seems like paper until it gets inside, and then...

Very sensible of you, Lantern.

Ah, X-Factor. In particular, the Government-backed version of the team that existed during the animated series' heyday.

Sadly, whatever he's got to say probably can't wait for some analyst in Washington to go over it with a fine-toothed comb...

And starting a punch-up with the super-team you can to talk to is probably not the smartest idea. I mean, it's a long-standing tradition, but that's no reason to live up to the cliche.

Ah, someone with actual authority? Well-timed.

Blonde, huh? One guess who that might be. Hopefully this version hasn't suffered through the convoluted history that his comics counterpart suffered from.

Though I imagine he's focusing really hard on not lighting up.

Got that right. Heck, her abilities tend to be inconsistent about what she can even turn into.

Ah, yes. The whole 'oops, I just let your daddy know he might have a couple more kids he didn't know about.' moment we saw yesterday...

Probably a very wise decision. And even just coming here suggests he can know more than he lets on, since this is presumably a covert base.

Tit for tat, golden boy. (And seriously, what is with that hair?)

Heck, Lantern could do it, if he wanted to...

I bet that makes it a lot easier to locate new mutants. Cerebro gets the initial ping, then Lantern can go a-roving for a more detailed scouting run...

Hello there, Havok. Quite a few episodes before his official debut, no less...

Ah, the Summers family tree. It and the Grey line are two of the most convoluted lineages in the comics. Especially where they merge.

Heh, a nice bonus. Scott's jaw is going to hit the floor...

How recent a photo? At least the original costumes had masks.

And it wasn't that long ago, even in-universe.

Oh, that's going to be a hell of a reunion.

She never mentioned his last name? Sheesh.

Heh. So much for checking anything coming in. :p Different rules for the field operatives, huh?

At least trying to keep up the illusion of operational security, I guess. :rolleyes:

...Interesting move. I expect he has to give a corresponding burst before he lands, to equalise his momentum and avoid, you know, breaking an ankle or something.

It's amazing how closely related some X-Men characters are when you start poking around... Especially outside of the comics.

Son, he isn't even from this universe. I'd like to see the immigration process for that.

Ah, the classic Nineties look: spandex, short jacket and huge hair.

Hold on to your shiny butt, ma'am, because this might be a surprise...

Just... Dropping it all on her at once, huh?

...She did know Magneto is her father, right? :oops:

Well, talk about pulling the sticky plaster off all at once, huh? And all this not even a day after overthrowing Genosha's exploitative government. Lantern moves fast when he's trying to, doesn't he?Probably a good thing we aren't getting more than glimpses, if this is typical of his speed resolving crises. What next, I wonder?

Animated Havok. Alongside the Government-backed version of X-Factor.

29. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Careful, Polaris. With all that "what?" somebody is gonna mistake you for David Tennant.

30. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

Their dad is in the cartoon too as some kind of space pirate.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Radiant Knight like this.