1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Well, Paul does have a a Demon Lord, a fungoid elemental, and a New Ascendant construct lanterns. That should help against the Citizenry, right?

At least two of those three should... probably...

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Timetech

Timetech Getting some practice in, huh?

3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'power rings'

'in'

This could be a specific term, or perhaps you meant 'donning'.

Right, he lost the Hellwraith, didn't he?

4. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Enh, sort of depends on the drop. 'Scry and die' is a trope for a reason. That said, it helps if, unlike Boom Tubes, your teleport method is one way so it doesn't expose your staging area to counterattack as readily. And for varying definitions of 'unknown location'.

5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

of -> as
    were -> are (to make the tense of the second half of the sentence match the first half)

Mr Zoat and Assblaster5000 like this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope Paul bluntly tells Diana about her aunt after all of this is over. Then he can reveal to Hippolyta what happened to her little sister and the monster she's become.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘power’
    To be fair, don’t souls normally stick around as miserable ghosts unless they die in a thaumosphere or get captured by something like those shrines Paragon built? Not very peaceful, although I suppose as demigods it’s pretty likely that Ascendants are an exception.
    ‘doesn’t’?
    He’s giving blood to the Seeds? Or is it meant to be ‘donning’? I still don’t know what it means in that case.
    I think he still has Nabu-666 somewhere, right? Or did something happen to him that I don’t remember?

Assblaster5000, Mr Zoat and Ngamer11 like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    He's not.
    No.
    More or less.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Last I remember, Mr Zoat said that Nabu 666 is handling the Tower of Nabu. As such, Paul may or may not have access to that Construct-Lantern.

mastermenthe likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or he didn't want to risk getting Assimilated.

That may not be the best thing to do when Earth still has Anti-Life.

I imagine the shock and horror vould undermine their resistance.

Prince Charon, Bud-E and Ngamer11 like this.
  12. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Considering Kevin MacTaggert had it better in the X-Men Animated Series, I wonder if the same could be said of David Haller, aka "Legion", son of Charles Xavier, if he exists.

I honestly wonder what Paul would suggest to help the lad with his Mind Hive issues. Get Doctor Strange involved and induce a Trance Healing, Internal Alchemy process?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it may also be connected to how they're structured, so it wouldn't be just power, but how it looks.

Plus, there may be a mental component involved.

If I remember correctly, I think it was mentioned that some of the member from the Renegade Team weren't as strong as others because they didn't embrace the fact that they're gods but just thought they were more powerful.

That does bring up the question of how New Gods differ from other demigods.

We know New Gods draw their power from the Source, but what about others?

Zoat, where do demigods that aren't New Gods draw power from?

The Dream, or does their Old God parentage allow them to connect to the Source?

Didn't think of that, but she did seem eager to kill her mommy.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I know that. I was thinking after the Anti-Life disaster is over, just because Paul thinks they deserve to know after he's fought them personally.

15. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Yes. It's compressed gravitons. The expansion and contraction of space itself causes a wave that travels through vacuum and will physically shove your eardrums when it gets to you.

16. Mr Zoat

'Draw' is probably the wrong term. They exist differently within the material universe.

17. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know I wouldn't be surprised if you can hear the boom in space because New God Tech is just that bullshit.

How the hell can I even hear that in space sound doesn't travel in a vacuum.

"My ring is allowing us to hear the boom tubes."

And here I thought it was using the same mechanism that Batman uses to breath in space.

"Batman can't breath in space."

Supes and Diana claim he does and she was holding her lasso of truth when she repeated that claim.

"How would he even be able to do that?"

He's Batman.

"What?"

18. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

um i thought all us government was hostile to mutants. what army base is this? i didnt know the us gov was training mutants....

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

X-Factor is a team funded by the US military because superpowers are usually a massive force multiplier. The 90's show was also written better than most comics interested in taking a slightly more... nuanced, let's call it, take on how people with an active X-Gene would interact with a, still largely Marvel-like, society.

Which is to say that, as with all things large and small, The United States Of America's Armed Forces tried to see if they could make it kill someone. Been a hot minute since I watched the show though, so I have no idea if it went better than the Nerf football plan did.

20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Just watch the episode, Forge is running this unit on behalf of the government, like they were in the comics back in the 90s

21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

people's

I had assumed that the boom was the result of the spatial distortion inducing a shockwave in nearby matter.

22. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

1st January 2013
    21:59 GMT

"That doesn't match the description of Grayven's ship-."

"No, that's one of his allies. They call themselves the Citizenry. Sending file now."

"I have it-. Grandmother!"

"Yes. I suggest a dispersed formation. In the event of an attack, I'll try and intercept the 'providers' at the source, but if they head for the planet you're going to need all the point defences you can get."

"Why would Grayven send… Her?"

"My guess would be 'pressure'. He wants compliance but can't come himself. Therefore, he sends his most godly subordinate."

"Then he has no intention of allying with us honourably."

"Probably not. But on the plus side, we only need to keep her busy until-"

"Uh."

"-Athyns completes his ritual."

"She is attempting to communicate with me. Their… Leader, Astarte."

"My records don't suggest that she has any sort of speech impediment. She's usually quite good at announcing her-."

"Her speech is clear. But from the sound of it, she is unused to speaking to people who aren't her subjects. Or chattels."

"Oh, it gets better. They give sufficiently bloodthirsty women the chance to become citizens. If men they capture are lucky then they might get raped before they're eaten. They really are the worst of the worst, and I speak with some expertise on the subject."

"Why has-? She's confirming what you just said. I didn't ask her, she's… Volunteering the information."

"At least she's honest. 'Why has' what?"

"Why has no one hunted them down and exterminated them?"

"Ah, that's a simple one. There isn't any sort of universal army of righteousness that might be inclined to take that job on. Generally, they pick fights with polities they can beat, and don't leave any survivors. At this point that includes all but the strongest stellar nations. Any allies their target might have are cowed into neutrality, and no one who could is prepared to send the sort of military force that would be required outside of their own territory."

"What about the Green Lantern Corps?"

"Don’t have the numbers or the doctrine. They're police. Law enforcers. Not executioners. They're the sort of thing I'd like the Orange Lantern Corps to deal with once the war with the Reach is finished."

"She is demanding that Athyns come and pay obeisance."

And he can't even speak to her without disrupting the ritual. And alright, she probably doesn't know what Athyns looks like so we could send someone else…

"Okay. How can I help?"

"I… Was hoping that you would take the lead."

"I'm not a member of your society and you aren't allied to N.E.M.O.. I'm happy to advise you, but it's not really my place to take the lead."

"I fear we need you to."

"Alright. Illustres to Citizenry. May I ask what you're doing-?"

"Are these 'gods' so craven that they cannot answer a simple message?"

Not Themysciran Greek. I've never heard Astarte's voice, but that's not how I thought she'd sound. Could be a subordinate, of course. I'm not a New God or a woman, so she may see no reason to speak with me.

"What do you think I'm doing? Athyns is a busy man. You can't just turn up and expect him to drop everything to tend to you. Am I speaking with Astarte?"

"She would not deign to speak with you."

"Then imagine how Athyns feels about the idea of talking to her. Why are you here?"

"We are here to see if there is anything of this world worth preserving, or if it will all be fed to the providers. The captain had great hopes for Sparta. I assume that she is dead."

"No, she's being held in a secure hospital. It turns out that constantly lying to your subordinates doesn't exactly endear you to them."

"That is disappointing. Citizens have no need for deceit."

"That's a shame. At least people who are being lied to can claim that they didn't know what was happening, whereas you Citizens all know that you're uncultured raiders who subsist on murder and cannibalism. You have no excuse for your inadequacy."

"I will take pleasure in-"

"Not available."

"-gelding you before killing you."

"I'd threaten your ovaries, but you're not worth the time it would take. What does a man have to do to get challenged to single combat around here?"

"Be a woman."

Ah, now isn't the time for a discussion on the discontinuation of the word 'wereman' in Modern English.

"Fine, that'll take me a few seconds. Anything else?"

"What?"

"I can change my body's structure. I've never used it to become a woman, but if that's one of your requirements I think I'll survive. Is there anything else?"

"As a.. woman, you could challenge a citizen for their place."

She doesn't sound certain. I shake my head inside my helmet. She just stated the official default position of the Citizenry, rather than focus on the mission Grayven's set of them. Astarte's an authority-hog, isn't she?

"In case my scathing contempt wasn't obvious, I wouldn't lower myself to join you. I just want you to leave this system and never come back."

"That is not up for negotiation."

"Says you. All I have to do is challenge everyone on your ship to single combat and beat them."

"We won't stop our mission to entertain you, caitiff."

"I speak for Minosyss in Athyns' absence because I have proven my capability as a warrior. Which you would know if Grayven mentioned the fact that I stopped his ship single-handedly during the one confrontation between N.E.M.O. and… Whatever you're calling yourselves. You might well be able to bypass me, but no one here would have any respect for you if you did. Astarte-."

Ugh. I… Do have a design for this. Alright, best fit. Widen hips, narrow shoulders, restructure face… And the rest. It's more weird than uncomfortable, though I'm going to need to rely on my armour's motion AI until I adapt.

"Astarte, I'm a citizen of Themyscira. I serve Queen Hippolyta, and was apprenticed to her daughter, Princess Diana. So I speak with some authority when I say that they would be horrified and disgusted by how far you've fallen and that I'm confident that there's a special place in Tartarus reserved for you."

"Fight me."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Okay, this is still a good challenge even if he's gender flipping in the middle of it. Though I hope he won't lose access to his ring or the orange light completely in this fight.

mastermenthe, mauke, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  25. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

the -> they
    hunter -> hunted
    want to -> want you to

26. Timetech

Timetech Getting some practice in, huh?

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘She’s’
    ‘There’
    ‘the sort of’
    Other times that citizens are mentioned in this chapter it isn’t capitalised (except at the start of sentences). Not sure if this should be uncapitalised or others should be capitalised, or if there’s different context that justifies this.

28. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

they

Well. This is a somewhat odd turn, but the New Gods are pretty much universally nuts among the Apocalypse side. Not that the New Genesis side is a bastion of sanity either.

Also, wow, if you hadn't of been kicked off SV before...

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Citizen can be a title (a member of the Citizenry) and a regular description (a citizen of the Citizenry).
    *Main character changes sex and no one treats it as a big deal.*

SV: And I objected to that.

30. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Bah da! Bah da! Dude looks like a lady!