1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

That was in episode 6, so long ago that there's no way Zoat remembers it. Here's the relevant quote:

Vorian, Cuchulin, MasterG and 9 others like this.
  2. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Oh yeah, that's right, Paul's ring was made by ROB, and therefore doesn't have standard Maltusian DRM.

3. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Paul's first ring was made by Hinon, the comatose Controller he revived in both paragon and renegade timeliness.

Vorian, Cuchulin, MasterG and 6 others like this.
  4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Presumably his peak output is now higher and he can sustain it much more easily.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  5. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Am I confusing the timelines? I thought OL and Renegade both spawned into DC with a ring they were cursed to call "this ring".

6. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

And then Hinon did a 'Proprietary Unlocked' in each timeline, giving them the ability to say 'my ring'.

Edit: Remember, she made the first ring and threw it into the Bleed, on the assumption it would go to someone and she would live to see it happen.

Vorian, Cuchulin, MasterG and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not sure that the tau have encountered them. If they have, it wouldn't take long to work out that the power ring doesn't look like jokaero technology under an electron microscope.

Cuchulin, mastermenthe, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but that doesn't mean that he can't make other things.

And some of those aliens could have figured out how the stuff works and Sinestro acquired the information.

Kalmin's apprentice was like that.

Hmm, I guess that spending potentially years on the planet without anyone else would have eroded some of his memory concerning her.

Not to mention all of that fear fucking with his mind.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Ngamer11 like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well said Earth is protected by a Lantern that managed to defeat one if the most powerful and skilled Lanterns of all time, plus they potentially ran the risk of the Guardians retaliating.

Don't be so sure about that.

Supervillains like Ras and the rest of the Light are incredibly arrogant, so they may not put it together unless they see it themselves.

Plus, Ras mostly fought Batman, so he may not have focused so much on the others.

If that's true then I wonder if it could be due to potential inbreeding.

They love destroying things, so a lot of them may die and their choice of partners becomes limited.

Heck, even the right answer can screw you up.

If I remember correctly she helped Kalmin with the Qward situation, so she may be alive.

10. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sounds to me like the apprentice was trying to brute force Fear mastery / enlightenment in this guy. Probably under the assumption that you'd need to be at least Enlightened to make Yellow Lanterns / Rings.

11. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    13:06 GMT

Mister Harrolds is taking the opportunity to walk around the empty village, apparently not at all interested in the buildings, just enjoying the fact that it's not his cage.

"You know this is a trick, right?"

I'm wearing heavy armour, so the withering look I flash her way passes unnoticed.

"No, Jade, I'm actually fairly stupid."

"No, but you're a superhero. I want to make sure we're on the same page."

"The question is, what sort of trick is it."

"He was genuinely afraid. Either that or he's the greatest actor on Earth."

"I saw yellow and little else, but that doesn't mean much here."

"Wouldn't you see it if he felt other emotions?"

"Maybe. But with this much yellow… The mind can adapt to it. It's not true avarice, or… Other things, but it looks a bit like it. He can function without avarice while still having a sort of motivation."

"The simplest trap is that the Qwardian who was experimenting on him is coming back."

"But he said there was just one. Weaponers aren't subtle people. If she had support, she'd have had them here."

"Maybe he helped her?"

"Possible. I can see someone from an anti-Earth volunteering for experimentation if the result was that they got more power. And the Qwardians are happy to augment people; that's where a lot of our Earth's Jordan's early supervillains came from."

"So why didn't he just tell us?"

"We've both got equipment. If he can keep us here, he still gets augmented and he gets to offer us to the Qwardian."

"It's a risk if she's on her own."

"Or we kill her and he gets her stuff. Worst case scenario, we take him back to Earth Negative Sixteen and he's got a location to sell to anyone with faster than light travel there."

"Or he started helping her, but it got too much for him and she didn't want to stop the experiment."

"Plausible, but he'll feel vengeful enough to put us in the loop once he's recovered."

"Or he was lying, and this was all Sinestro."

"Or he got a new deputy, and it's them. We don’t have any way to know for sure. What happens if we just ask him directly?"

"He acts like he doesn't know what we're talking about."

"How about if we make it clear that we don’t care, and we'll pay him for his help?"

"Why would he trust us?"

"We let him out in an act of altruism. Even if he's not altruistic himself, he'll make assumptions about our likely behaviour based on that."

"How bad is his Earth?"

"No idea."

I try feeling it from here, but the yellow light is obscuring even that.

"Shouldn't be hard to find out."

"Lead with that. Offer to take him back right away. See what he says."

"Armour on or off?"

"What's the chance of Sinestro blindsiding us?"

"There's no obvious reason for him to kill me, and he can't stop our backup coming here later and creating a clone for me to inhabit."

"How about me?"

"They could create a clone for you, too."

If they're fast enough and you haven't begun your ascension.

"Does he have a reason to kill me?"

"I… Don't know. I don't know how much contact he has with Earth supervillains."

"I didn't meet him while I was a Shadow."

"No, I was thinking that he might kill you as a favour to the Light, or someone like that. There are all sorts of useful things on Earth that he could trade a favour for."

"The League of Shadows doesn't exist anymore, and I'd be surprised if anyone else with anything to offer even knows my name. Besides, they're all either working for the Justice League or Mannheim. I'm just concerned that he'd think we knew what was going on and kill us just in case."

"Could happen." I walk towards the ex-lab rat. "But I think it'll be okay. Mister Harrolds!"

I switch back to my light armour as he turns around, seeing my face for the first time. There's a moment of focus as he takes in my features, but no recognition. I guess there isn't an alternate me on his Earth. Any longer, at least.

"Would you like to go home now? There isn't anything here except pack-hunting robot drones. We can drop you off anywhere on Earth. And if there's anyone you want us to contact, we can do that too."

"They're all dead, huh?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so. The Weaponer who did it was quite thorough."

"And they all… Died afraid."

"Most of them. The ones who died in the first attack might not have had time to feel afraid."

He shakes his head. "Imagine having that kind of power…"

I shake my head. "It's not about power. Honestly, the robots aren't that complicated, dropping rocks would work nearly as well as his orbital strikes did, and social manipulation… That's a matter of patience."

"If it's not power, what is it?"

"Intent. Will? The Weaponer decided that he needed a world to die in terror, so he made it so. I don't even think he cared much about these poor people one way or the other. There's a… Book, called Nineteen Eighty Four, where… The final torture they use to break prisoners is customised to their particular psychology. They expose them to something they can't withstand and then let them out only if they betray everything and everyone they care about rather than endure it. Of course, at that point anyone they put in there is so broken down by regular torture that it's not much of a gamble."

I look around at the homes of people who chose to die in their tombs rather than try and go on.

"There's nothing here that I couldn't find on Earth, or on a hundred other humanoid-inhabited worlds. Our fears aren't all that different to one another really."

"I fear… And they fear…"

I nod. "It really-."

"I understand."

His eyes glow yellow, his pupils turning into yellow sigils.

"No." His body glows with yellow light as he lifts off the ground. "We understand."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

...Enlightened AND possessed by Parallax?

13. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

"Ophidian? Yes, your cousin is here. Back me up real quick please?"

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Or enlightened and possessed by whatever remains of these people

15. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I think I remember reading in this story that Parallax likes taking hosts who don't have a ring?

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If only Paul could recruit this guy as the first Yellow Lantern on his side.

17. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Either way they aren't really a threat to Paul at the moment.

18. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I actually didn't see that coming. I thought the guy might have been an experiment, to try and make a Sinestro Corps member, by that lady apprentice of Kalmin (the one that allied with Grayven in the Renegade Timeline). Can't remember her name, but maybe Sinestro had the idea of recruiting her to start his corps.

That might still be a possibility, what with Sinestro making unknown moves. But how is Parallax here? Isn't it supposed to be in the Green Central Power Battery? Or did the frequent outside visits of Ion (to connect with Guy) weakened the bindings for it to escape? And if that is Parallax, could it have been an experiement to create an adequate avatar for the embodiment, to counter the Illustres and Guy? 'Cause thst would be smart if this deliberate, but still stupid because embodiments aren't easy to control.

Then again, Sinestro does manage to effectively manage and direct Parallax in the comics at one point. Not as avatar of it, but by giving it a host and pointing it at the enemy. And fair play on that one, I say.

19. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I like this better than it being Parallax. This could be the weak ancestor god Paul mentioned. That would give it a good lead-up. Or you know how Paul's soul is orange because during its development huge orange light infusion. What if the experiment that Halord here went through made him grow a second nascent soul?

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I doubt Joey there has any part to play in it besides bait, though. But who laid the trap? Weaponer Lysis, or whoever else it was? Sinestro, playing a long game? Or some other Spectrum-adjacent foe we haven't though of?

Feh. There should be classes for that sort of thing: Obfuscated Body Language 101, or something. 'How to make people recognise your non-verbal communications, even in face-obscuring masks or all-concealing armour.' :p

That is a subtle reminder that OL has kind of gone native, you know. He didn't used to be this gullible... Although, their first meeting did involve her tricking him into kissing her while she wore mind-altering lipstick.

I mean, someone looking at you through Empathic Vision would see almost all orange...

It just takes a matter of framing the fear in a 'I'm afraid of not having this thing' way.

So... Dead or inconvenienced. Didn't Lysius end up running things after Varnathon got iced by Kalmin? o_O So long ago...

Even if they didn't know they were dealing with the Qwardians, I suspect.

And OL's heavy armour is just a little bit imposing.

...Which may not be a good thing. Still, if it is the usual 'heroes are villainous and vice-versa'... How many heroes of Earth have FTL capabilities, discounting Lanterns?

Vindictiveness can be a powerful emotional vector, even marinated in fear as Joey is.

The joy of incomplete information. So many mind-games about 'whodunnit'...

I mean, it's not he's committed any crimes they would feel a need to prosecute.

Probably 'What a couple of gullible, bleeding-hearted maroons.'

Probably a typical Crime Syndicate Earth. Hopefully without an omnicidal Owlman.

As long as you don't accidentally something vital.

Certainly, being able to see a human face might help him accept any offer.

Heck, OL's been doing things with his corner of the Spectrum Sinestro is probably very interested in replicating for Fear.

Still a bit worried about that, OL? ;)

I suspect Sinestro dismissed them as non-threats for the most part, outside of the particularly powerful.

True. Just look at how OL's been spreading Earth-originated tech. And how popular it's been.

Welp, fingers crossed for luck...

...Huh. I wonder... What if he wasn't looking at your face, OL...

Let's not mention the fact that you've been working with said Weaponer, of course.

Bah. I have no doubt the first few shots Kalmin fired were placed for maximising terror. Enough casualties to draw attention, but not enough to reduce the net effect.

Precision. Scientific experimentation. Casual disregard for life. Take your pick?

...I wonder how that book would have gone on a inverted-morality Earth? So few writers give any thought to things like popular culture with a cultural variance like that.

Just as their wants were, I suppose.

It's, like, they're all part of some cosmic spectrum, man... :p

:eek: ...Fuck all kinds of duck...

...Crap. It's a good chance this is a merging with the local Parallax. Which makes me wonder if he did use a Power Ring before, but lost it, and went looking for another route to regaining that power... Argh, this feels like OL and Jade walked in on someone else's origin story. :confused: But unlike other times, this one ended with the main character of the tale getting even more powerful than canon.

21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

People don't grow second souls in Zoat's cosmology, if they aren't New Gods or something, their soul structures just have so much space and excess is wasted. New God souls grow bigger as they absorb more energy, hence older New Gods being more powerful in this story.

As Alan demonstrates infusing the soul with a specific kind of energy can result in someone becoming an elemental.

Perhaps that was the goal, turning Harold into their own pet Terror-Thing?

But considering the whole sigils thing, I believe even if that was the goal, the guess that Harold is playing Parallax host seems likely to be true.

Vorian, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 4 others like this.
  22. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

No, no, clearly this is Anti-Parallax, Superhero Extraordinaire! Striking fear into the hearts of villains everywhere! :V

23. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

Opps your right my mistake. Also, the eye thing makes sense. I'll be a little disappointed if it is obvious and turns out to be Parallax. I know this s wrong because it wouldn't make sense, but I never imagined the anti-matter verses having their own Elementals.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Making my bet now.

Author Ex Machina, LePaul magically talks down Parallax.

Istaran likes this.
  25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’my light’

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

don' t -> don't

27. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

...I'm sorry did he just pep talk someone into fear based enlightenment by accident?

Vorian, Handlewithcare, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Not exactly. He was already 99% of the way there as a result of the local Weaponer's project.

Vorian, Ardy, Cool10007 and 7 others like this.
  29. Mecrazyfang

Mecrazyfang Not too sore, are you?

Is that better or worse than doing it on purpose, the first time?

Ardy, Cool10007 and BlackCoat13 like this.
  30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

And we've found a replacement for Sinestro! Score!

Handlewithcare and Ardy like this.