1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Holy damn shit what a twist of a chapter.

I also really liked the world-building glimpses of -16. That Kryptonian design for instance. Is it all extrapolated by you, based on various snippets and ideas or is there a comic where anti-kryptonians work more or less exactly like that?

I am also hungry for more. Like, what does a good anti-Darkseid look like, given that he still calls himself dark side? What did Earth -16's government look like and how much was it openly or covertly beholden to the Syndicate? How different is -16 from how -14 was before the Justice League invasion?

Already stopped what? Was he walking towards Harold?

I've actually seen stories and concept art older than that which posited that Superman's species doesn't always look human for one reason or another.
    There's something in the unique vibration of each universe that the big brain experts (Guardians and such) base their numbering on.

Actually, that makes me think: -14 Paul decided to steal stuff from +16. I don't remember why he chose that place in particular, but did he use a matter inverter together with his dimension hopping equipment? As in, was he purposefully targeting an Earth that would be more similar to the +14 that invaded and attacked the old Syndicate? Because otherwise that would mean that, based on the local laws of physics alone, -14 and +16 are made of the same type of matter and actually either the Syndicate universe of Blue Paul should be +14 or Young Justice should be -16.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes.
    Moving.

3. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

.... They're going to willingly infect themselves with anti life, thinking that it's "nothing they can't handle".

Gonna end badly.

4. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

To be fair, there is the chance that Earth Syndicate is being infected with anti-death.

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

... huh. I was going to make the correction that you probably meant kilohertz instead of megahertz, because ultrasound frequencies are usually in the hundreds-of-kilohertz range, while hundreds-of-megahertz frequencies are usually brought up in discussion of microwave radiation.

But... then I did the math.

Assuming kryptonite is at least vaguely similar to typical silica-based minerals, and assuming that the construct was close enough that air and intervening tissues wouldn't attenuate it, 390MHz would hit the resonant frequency of a crystal somewhere in the 10-15 micron range. That's a pretty typical size for silt particles, which is reasonable for something that you can put in suspension and take as an injection.

385MHz for disorientation, on the other hand, only makes sense if the kryptonian vestibular system is significantly different from the human one... but that's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

kerleth, Senevri, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  6. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

I always assumed he called it the anti matter-universe personally.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  7. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

I thought this paul would use his newfound power to show that anti-earth's people that there is a better way than the crime syndicate? or is this paul not really inclined to make the world a better place? is he a transplant from prime earth as well like main paul?

True Ninja likes this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Life Equation is the opposite of the Anti-life equation. Would probably be portrayed as painting smiles on people's souls. People just lying there starving to death because they are too happy to worry about little things like eating. Sort of like the movie Serenity.

The anti-death equation, which is unlikely to be used here since Zoat doesn't like post flashpoint comics as a rule, is a horse of a different color.

Well you know how DC nauseatingly overuses popular characters like say Joker or Darkseid until they become mere hollow caricatures of their former selves?

That's the anti-death equation in a nutshell. A fate worse than death where you will never ever ever die.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The POV from this chapter wasn't Paul or a version of him.

It is a completely different character that's a native and he has no inclination to dismantle the syndicates.

10. Mr Zoat

I'm trying to remember a word. It means something like 'define in precise terms' and I think it starts with a 'c'. Any ideas?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Closest thing that comes to mind is "clarify".

12. transhumansage

what edition are the pics from? is it the original rogue trader books?

what part exactly is he wrong about? the whole collective psykery seems right to me and fits in to the whole thing about machine spirits....

13. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Like Darko said, it's probably clarify.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well, machine spirits are just AI's of various sorts.

The whole collective psykery thing however is just full on wrong. To butcher a quote, there's more under the stars then just psychic powers and The Warp. And what he was describing was very specifically one of those "more" things. And while Zoat could of course change that to make that version of his SI right. That's not a good thing to ever do.

15. boo600

boo600 Welp

The Guardian didn’t seem to think so; they may have just wanted the data.

Or they may think they can bust Parallax out of wherever they put him.

I doubt that the Guardians will create a Yellow Weakness in this continuity; they seem to have both the ability to contain Parallax, and actual common sense.

Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and Vorian like this.
  16. transhumansage

can you cite the quote? who said it?

Prince Charon likes this.
  17. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

If Anti-life is super Propaganda
    Then Anti-death is super Marketing.

AionVal and mastermenthe like this.
  18. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

If you're referring to the POV character from the last segment, that isn't a Paul. That's Joseph Harrolds, the negative counterpart to Hal Jordan, aka Power Ring of Earth -16. He apparently left the Syndicate to ally with Sinestro and the female Weaponer.

Now he returned to his native Earth to kill the moron of Ultraman, handed the Syndicate to this female Kryptonian (I don't know who that is, the negative counterpart to Kara from Earth -16, maybe?) and is planning to get back with Sinestro, do something with the people of Earth 16 and most probably finally kickstart the Sinestro Corps.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Shakespeare in his play Hamlet...

20. Mr Zoat

Best Edition.
    No, it's not that. Like, put a thing into numbers.

21. Threadmarks: Xenopsychology (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

6 574 938.M41

I stare at the ring for a moment.

"There is one thing I didn't consider."

Bo'ohk tilts his head downwards slightly. "In the entirety of the universe, there is one thing you did not think of?"

"Alright, there's one relevant thing I didn't think of while we were being questioned."

"Is it something we need to go in and tell them?"

"No, it's just-. I know that daemons can be bound to objects. Or… Turned into objects. I said that this ring could be a pre-Age of Isolation artefact-."

"But you did not say that it could be a bound daemon."

"Right. That might explain why it can draw power from the warp. And why travelling using it is so safe. Bound daemons… Sometimes they openly exert an influence on the people carrying them… There's a sword that a Space Marine called Garran Crowe uses that talks to him constantly. Others don't, or just create a general desire in the person using them. My ring only talks like a drone, but… Emotional impressions? That's basically what it does."

"Would an ancient human sorcerer really have bound a daemon simply to have something that worked a little like a fictional tool?"

"Yes. The surprising thing would be that they were successful, not that they tried it."

I sigh. Of course. Obviously it's a daemon. Good work whoever bound it; maybe the Emperor was into comics in his youth?

"But you have used it to destroy daemons."

"I've transferred power from one daemon and… I mean, if this ring is a daemon, I've transferred it from one to another. That's normal daemonic activity."

"Is there a way to find out for certain?" I wince, and I'm pleased to see that he picks up on the expression. "Other than freeing the daemon, of course."

"A psyker with experience in sorcery would probably be able to tell whether or not there was a binding in place without damaging it. Good luck finding one we could trust being this close to it."

Bo'ohk looks at the ring. "Do you really think that is what it is?"

"Occam's razor says 'yes'. But honestly, I don't know."

"Okham… The simplest explanation is the most likely one?"

"The one that requires least invention, yes."

"That is the way of thinking that led us to conclude that you were a psyker."

"It's not automatically right, it's just right quite a lot of the time. It's-."

One of the room's doors opens, and two fire warriors armed with pulse blasters enter and do a quick visual inspection. Once that's complete they step aside and the Kor'O from the meeting walks in. Bo'ohk and I make a gesture of respect and she makes one of acknowledgement before… Dismissing her guards.

Bo'ohk notes that, though I don't know if that's normal for tau or not. Tau don't really have the same sort of internal competition that humans do, so it isn't a matter of being concerned about them leaking to a political rival. As anti-Callidus measure, it.. seems ill-considered.

Scan her and scan the room.

Ave, Lanterna.

No, looks like normal tau desires, with none of the under layer that marked the Callidus I saw out as odd. Similarly, the room only has the monitoring devices that are supposed to be there, and no focuses of warp energy.

"Security is to your satisfaction, Lantern?"

"I limited my scan to this room, Admiral, but as far as that goes, yes." Is it rude to say 'well spotted'? It… Might be.

"How far could you go?"

"In theory, the only limit is my mind. In practice, I could manage a 'smart scan' over this building and the surrounding area without difficulty. Further than that and I'd need to be looking for something in particular, and the simpler that thing is the further I could go. I've noticed that for large warp distortions it will just notify me."

"There are so many things that could be achieved with a few dozen like you. I would send an exploration fleet, if we had the slightest idea where to send them."

"I could carry an exploration fleet to Segmentum Solar if you want, I just don't think that anything good would happen as a result."

"I was referring to the ring. Do your ancient stories say where they come from?"

"That's… Ah… A planet called 'Oa', which is supposed to be located in the centre of the universe. As far as I know, my species never made it that far."

"The centre of the universe. I don't believe that there is one."

"The writers at the time didn't know that. Though of course it relates to a fictional universe which could have one without it saying anything about the real universe."

"What did they look like?"

I generate a Guardian construct.

"The ones on Oa looked like that, but there were other political subdivisions of their species who looked different."

"They had castes?"

"No, the divides were political rather than functional. They changed their appearance to reflect their subculture."

"And what did the others look like?"

I generate Controller, both types of Zamaron and a Leprechaun. Oh, wait, Krona didn't look like them. Add one of him-.

The Kor'O… Is focusing her attention on that one.

"What are this faction's beliefs?"

"That's Krona. He wanted to peel back time to examine the start of the universe for himself. That resulted in him breaking it, and he was punished by being rendered incorporeal. He was the villain of his stories."

She continues looking at him.

"What was the first non-human intelligent species that humans encountered?"

"I'm not sure. Daemons, probably. I know that the Emperor was off gallivanting around the universe under his own power before the rest of us had steam power, and he met the c'tan Void Dragon. For the rest of us… Orks, I think, but that's based on one record and I… Probably couldn't independently confirm it."

"For the tau, we first gained confirmation that alien intelligences existed when we reached our innermost moon. There was a starship there, damaged, but functional."

I glance at Bo'ohk, but he looks just as surprised as I feel. Not common knowledge, then. That would have been… Two thousand years ago? Three? Three thousand years or so after the Imperium spotted that the tau existed and marked them down for extermination.

"After that, we encountered the nicassar and orks. The nicassar were conquered and incorporated while… I believe that you know of the orks. After the nicassar, the kroot and vespid were also incorporated. But none of the species we met as friends or enemies built ships like the first we discovered. We learned a great deal from that ship, though much of it was… Not anything we could use at the time. We still do not fully understand it. And we do not know the names of its creators."

She turns back to me.

"Did not know. Your new project will be to interface with the ship's computers directly and allow us to finally grasp the full extent of its lessons and history. Once that is done, you may return to your current mode of operation."

"Of course, Admiral. Is.. that the final word of the T'au Aun'ar'tol?"

"Were you concerned about your relationship with Lar'shi Tsua'm Raard?"

"A… Little, Admiral."

"It is strange, but worth accepting considering the gains. To be completely open, if you solve this problem for me I would be willing to perform intimate acts with you myself."

She's about half a metre taller than me, stick thin, and… In her forties, which is eighty in tau years.

"Thank you, but that won't be necessary."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he's a Paul, so he's not all that bright.

"surprising"

Not quite.

"pleased"

Or didn't care about the science.

Now I can't help but imagine that ship being Maltusian.

23. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

I'd buy the theory of the Emperor trying to make his own Lantern Corps for an easy source of super soldiers if it was used for a fanfic.

24. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Did this Paul skip the Krona-kidnapping?

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hopefully. 40K factions learning to multiverse travel would be Bad.

I don't think it will be, but it would be cool if it was a Human Federation ship, complete with AI.

If it had a complete STC database Paul could basically buy a long term peace treaty between Imperium and Tau

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

under layer that marked the Callidus I saw out as odd -> underlay that marked-out the Callidus I saw as odd
    I think it reads better that way but I think you'll probably disagree, Mr Zoat.

Relyt33 likes this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hardly the best time to realise you might have forgotten something important, P'Aul. And probably not a good idea to go charging back into the council calling 'And one more thing!'

Ah, the gentle ribbing of friends. Good to see Bo'ohk usign some more human social mannerisms.

Seriously? How powerful a daemon would have to be bound to produce something this powerful?

Castellan Garran Crowe. Famed for his incorruptibility, and trusted to wield a daemon blade in combat because of it. But he's something of an outlier, even amongst the powerfully sanctified Grey Knights...

I mean, who wouldn't try to reproduce some artefact they love from a manga, comic or book?

Ah, P'Aul. Seeing malice where there is none. You're fitting right in to the 40k universe...

And boy howdy, would that ever be a bad idea. Not that it is a daemon, whatever their fears.

Most human psykers would be 'It belongs in the rightful hands of Humanity!' or claim it 'In the name of Chaos!' Eldar? I suspect they'd rather stay well away from it.

And sometimes, there's such a thing as overthinking it, boys.

I wonder how long that assumption lasted?

Huh. Looking for a private meeting, Air Caste?

Callidus assassins being known for their remarkable metamorphic capabilities. There's even tales of one impersonating Genestealers...

But now you have that niggling feeling of doubt, don't you, P'Aul?

I mean, the Ring probably shimmered slightly. And Air Caste do have slightly better eyesight than most Tau.

Probably running on some passive desire of not dying in a warp distortion, I bet.

And it'd be something of a one-way trip, if he couldn't stick around.

Well, technically speaking, anyway. That particular Ring didn't start out on Oa, after all.

Though it's not like the place wraps around on itself. As far as anyone knows, that is. The DC universe, at least, does have a defined boundary, and a centre.

Heh. I wonder if they'll assume because the stories were made by humans, they looked human for obvious reasons?

Not when one could alter their own body as they pleased...

It probably sounds fantastical to the Tau. Gross physical changes aren't exactly something they can pull off, after all.

Krona classic? Dressed in the 'I hate pants' old-school silver-age Maltusian style? Bet that's a sight.

More fantastical hyperbole, of course, as far as the Tau are concerned... Except that Krona actually did exactly that.

In this universe? There's a lore deep-dive.

:confused: Excuse me what the what now? Though that would explain some things...

...Interesting. Could it be as out-of-place as the Ring and its wielder, I wonder?

Is that the Council's decision, or just a personal request?

I guess it is... Though I suspect they approve of the relationship as another lever to manage him...

...I don't know how I should feel about that...

...Horrified. Yes, that's how I should feel. :oops: Argh.

Is there just something about P'Aul that has most Tau females he interacts with starting to have intentions towards his... :p Greater Goods? Or am I reading too much into it? At any rate, this mystery wrecked ship should prove to be an interesting dungeon crawl... As long as it doesn't turn into a round of Space Hulk. Or maybe Space Crusade? :confused: ...And now I'm wondering how Tau would play in either game...

"After that, we encountered the nicassar and orks.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ah yes, she of the fuck-pouch.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

What, did the Red Queen fling the ship to this universe? She stayed at Krona's tuning fork construction site after Time Trapper Paul manifested his timeline. Wait, could the Red Queen travel to 40k via the ship? She had manhunters and eternity to investigate the ship's functions. Motives...
    She has a dream stone thing for her powerset. This universe's Warp could appeal to her or offer something of value.

Sojiko, Prince Charon and CTrees like this.
  30. DonLyn

DonLyn Getting out there.

I really hope that ship is the Star Ship Enterprise or something, just for the joy of watching P'ol's desperate attempts at making sense of this universe's timeline/lore.