1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I thought Orion turned it off. The whole reason Paul could message anyone and touch the Ophidian when before he couldn't.

Of course, that just makes me wonder why this is a matter for LEGION if the only possible pilot atm is Orion.

Also, if the White Light fixes Orion, doesn't that mean he suddenly needs a lantern to recharge his ring? The only reason he doesn't right now is because of his Butcher Alignment. Unless he can keep that alignment even when not transformed into whatever he is now?

FeepingCreature and Cuchulin like this.
  2. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Formatting problem, presumably.

3. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Inspired by Chojin above: does Hinon know about OL's encounter with Ambush Bug?

Ardy and FeepingCreature like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Also: XENOFORUM! I PUT THE COLOR TAGS THERE FOR A REASON! STOP DELETING THEM!

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So Draan really died that easily? Shame.

And does Hinon not know about the Omni-Paulverse? Just sticking her in 40K should keep her busy a few centuries at least.

6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What about his soul? Even without a functional thaumosphere and with Dream's curse it should still be around, no? And he'd be defenseless without access to his symbiotes (which aren't magic). Necromancy or divine altars hooked up to portals not having enough power to get ahold of that soul seems like a solvable problem. L.E.G.I.O.N. makes use of mages on their ships after all. And Paul also managed to get a functioning altar to Hades going on Mother Mercy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Orion was going to try.

But using Zoat's own logic that should have failed since he was going up against a fully developed Qwardian Titan.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually one word.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  10. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The only logic I saw was that you have to be sufficiently angry to interface with the Void Hound's AI. And then immediately after Orion says he will bring it to heel, and then Paul can send messages out and touch the Honden and Ophidian when before he couldn't. To me that sounds like Orion turned it off.

Unless I'm missing something.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You're missing that the Void Hound doesn't have an AI.

So long story short, when the Qwardians were building it they discovered that it was so complex nothing their technology was capable of could actually run it. So they went in search of something that could and eventually bound the mystically arisen sentient information net of their entire world to the task. It was not happy about this and drove anybody who even tried to control it completely and utterly insane while going on a rampage that destroyed multiple solar systems forcing the Qwardians to deactivate it.

12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Technically, he made a blue LANTERN. Which converted Alan’s green ring into blue. I think?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's pretty much it.

14. Threadmarks: Meanwhile, on Earth -14
    Mr Zoat

3rd February 2013
    20:12 GMT

I shrug at Jonathan's image on the screen.

"Well, it's an… Interesting answer."

"What's that s'pos ta mean?"

He's glowering, but I think that's his default-glower, rather than his someone's-actually-irritated-him glower.

"It's hard to get people to do something totally new, as opposed to something that's essentially the same as something they were doing anyway. A change in organisation that doesn't change anything at street level would garner far less resistance than a change in rules of engagement that affected everyone."

"Ain't no one gunna complain 'bout getting more respect from the Management."

True, but still…

"An award ceremony, though?"

"Yeah? What? Not putting it on T.V. or nothin'. I figure it's a cultural event, yah know? Something that brings everyone in the whole Syndicate together. And everyone wants ta' be the ones up on the stage sometime."

"Okay, so 'Highest Earner' I get. And 'Most Improved Territory', because if you give someone an underdeveloped area and they do good work turning it around, they should get respect for managing that even if the actual profit isn't all that great. 'Best Fight' works because we are a criminal network, and it encourages people to remember that."

"And 'cause there's people who can't do nuthin' else. Might as well give them respect for it."

"Might I suggest 'Best Fight With An Enemy'? I wouldn't want to reward them for fighting other members of the Syndicate."

He shrugs. "Yeah, that's what it's suppose ta be. You really think someone-."

He cuts himself off as he thinks about it.

"Yeah, okay."

"Now, do you want that to be a single award, or do you want to split it into 'Best Single Combat' and 'Best Group Combat' as separate categories?"

"Ah…" He frowns, his eyes moving away from me. "Maybe? I wanna go through the applications, see what actually gets submitted."

"Okay. And 'Best Covert Operation'."

He shrugs. "What?"

"I'm concerned about giving an award for something 'covert'."

"It's a secret ceremony-."

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead, Ultraboy. If we send out hundreds of invitations, word will get out."

"'Best… Surprise Operation'?"

I nod. "That could work. It rewards people with good field leadership skills but who aren't necessarily good business managers. Now, 'Best Revenge'."

"Like you said, we're a criminal syndicate. We gotta get back at the people who get one over on us."

"Yes, but I'm concerned about encouraging revenge attacks that aren't strategically useful. The last thing we want is someone taking a shot at Luthor because they want the award."

Jonathan looks truculent. "Gotta take a shot at him sometime."

Not if I can help it.

"Right, but that's something that takes planning. Strategic planning. We really don't want someone going rogue on something like that."

"Fine. Howsabout 'Best Planned Revenge'? I mean, if they actually pulled it off without blowback, what's the problem?"

"As long as we're clear that it won't be awarded posthumously and normal rules about escalation apply…" I nod. "Alright. We could give it a try and see what happens. 'Best Costume'."

"I never went to the pictures 'cause I heard a movie got an Oscar for 'Best Sound Design'. Not everything gotta be super serious."

"How about restricting it to costumes that were used in the field at least once?"

"Yeah? Why-?" He frowns. "You think people would make costumes just ta win an award?"

"This is about public acknowledgement before their peers. I think we could see some very interesting costumes, and if they don't have to use them in the field then things could get downright silly."

"'kay. Just one time, or fer the whole year?"

"I think just once is okay. It's not a serious award, and if it's something with a big flaw it's better that they be able to correct the problem. 'Best Young Villain', no… Ah, actually, is that limited to Made Men? Because a lot of younger… Younger associates, won't have been 'made' yet."

"Nah. They don't need ta be, but they ain't excluded if they are."

I nod. "Fine. I don't think we should have 'Most Powerful'."

"Why not?"

"Because it undermines the Management if we openly acknowledge that there's someone more powerful out there." He moues, then nods. "I mean, the Management themselves aren't eligible, right?"

"Nah. I get yah, I just really wanted ta do it, yah know? It woulda been one of the big awards. There are Made Men who could take the Management in a fight."

"How about 'Best Display Of Power'? The implication's the same, but it's not quite as direct. And it means that whoever's winning it has been using that power in the field."

"I… Lemme workshop it some. See if I can make it work."

I nod. "Okay. 'Best Theft', yeah, no problem. 'Best Use Of A Vehicle'..?"

"Not a big deal. Something anyone can try for."

I nod as I scan down the list. "Okay, and the same with the rest… Yes, I think this idea has legs. Do you want to finalise things, or should I raise the idea with the Management at my next meeting?"

"Lemme get the whole thing planned out first. I wanna be sure I'm ready before I go to the Management."

"You want to do the presentation yourself?" He nods. "Okay, yes, we can make that happen. Let me know-" I hear the door open. "-when you're ready. Ah, Zorina just got back, so-."

"Gotcha." He smiles at me. "I'll call back once I'm ready."

The screen goes dead as I stand up and walk out of my study and onto the landing. Zorina and Zita are just coming in the front door, and Zita's fast asleep in the basket floating alongside her. "Zorina, how did it go?"

She looks up towards me, frowning slightly as I head down the stairs.

"They think she's a reincarnation. That she had at least two lives before this one."

I frown a little. "Is that..? Unusual? Bad?"

"In Europe?" She nods as I reach her and kiss her on the forehead. "It's a little unusual. Bad… Depends on who she was, and what kind of memories she kept."

"Is she going to remember everything? Is she-?"

Is she our daughter, or effectively a changeling, is what I'm thinking. Is what I'm worrying.

Zorina smiles reassuringly. "No, that's not how it works. She's Zita Zatara, and she-. She won't start remembering anything clearly until she's at least ten. And then, who she is will still be more important than who she was."

I nod, a little relieved. "And her magic?"

"That's not clear. Her last incarnation was a powerful mage, but the one before that wasn't at all. We'll just have to keep an eye on her. Depending on how things go she might regain her second life's magic rather than showing Zatara family magic."

"Did they have any advice for us?"

"Avoid trains, explosions and… Communists, for some reason?"

I frown, then shrug. A hidden coven of witches are the last people who are going to give clear answers. "Alright. I think we can manage that?"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  15. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

For some reason I heard this in the voice of Agnes from "How to Succeed in Evil".

Prince Charon, Ardy, Doccer and 4 others like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well this was an unexpected conversation.

It puts me in mind of those villain awards from the Harley Quinn show.

And now I can't help but see the Crime Syndicate become something like the Legion of Doom from that show.

The most important question is who will be their Bane.

Zoat the link for this chapter doesn't have the date above it.

Now who could be little Zita's previous life?

Anyone have any ideas?

17. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Tanya Degurechaff! It's Bolshevik Muppet time.

18. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Pfffft, that sounds like Tanya alright.

Oh man, a fic within a fic!

19. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

I-is she the reincarnation of Princess Anastasia?

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Ardy, Wheenesss, mastermenthe and 3 others like this.
  21. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

....Tanya / Salaryman?

22. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Welcome to your new life, Tanya. You're an evil magical salarygirl.

Tanya: "Finally, something that makes sense."

23. kaneki tenebraes

kaneki tenebraes Making the rounds.

I'm going to laugh when Tanya and Paul start taking shop. This is going to be hilarious. And when she becomes a criminal she'll be a better one then her parents.

24. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

Tanya the perfect argument for why Job-ing someone is just a bad idea.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, 'Baul'. Still trying to make the villainous Earth you live on a better place without any of your criminal compatriots realising it? Hope he's been getting plenty of sleep, though, what with being a father now. x3

...I mean, if he's got heat-vision, then 'glowing' might be a legitimate expression for him. :p Usually right before someone starts to feel the heat...

And evidently his plan is something on the 'this is gonna be big' end of that range?

:confused: ...What.

Heh. The joy of picking the inaugural categories for something like this. Gotta encourage appropriate behaviour in the ranks.

...Good point. Remember, appropriate behaviour. I can see some moronic mook with muscles for brains deciding 'hey, I could fight my boss and win a prize!'

You know someone would be that stupid.

Since someone with a buff-dispensing ability might only shine when they have allies.

...I think I see the issue with this one. :cool:

Especially if it ends up being for something that targetted someone recently joined. Joined because of a setback caused by a covert operation...

And you know someone will try to record it. Especially those with built-in technology.

After all, not every surprise is planned, nor every operation intended to be a surprise.

...Oooh. Yeah, poking that bear might be a very bad idea.

Since it's likely to end up with a lot of people you have hopes for getting hurt.

The best kind of revenge: One where you pull it off without the chance of reprisals in kind.

"All I want is some pants! Is that too much to ask for?"

...And some superhero communities take costuming seriously. Just look at Champions Online and their costume contests. :D Case in point: Wingspan's weekly contests.

For instance, far too many 90's costumes with insufficient armouring, far too many sharp edges or just improbable material choices.

Maybe have their mentors place the nominations? Those rookies who make a good showing would score well.

...Because it sounds like a big middle finger to those in charge?

But you don't want to encourage them to start having thoughts of 'wait, if I'm stronger than those chucklefucks, why are they the ones in charge?'

And it encourages creativeness with less obviously strong powers.

...At least append 'criminal use' to it? Unless you want to encourage getaway drivers to start entering car shows...

...Ah, they grow up so quick!

Stow that eyebrow-wiggling, kiddo. Opportunities like that are few and far between these days.

Decently well, since she's not injured or grumpy?

Depends on whether it was part of a spell or something. Like, 'bury my mind in my descendents DNA until the time is right, so that I can take over their body'. An actual plot point in stuff like Symphogear. (Spoilers there, mind!)

Yeah, I expect the Silver City would get in the way of reincarnation stuff...

Assuming she remembered anything at all. But if they mentioned it, she will be.

Or a mix of both, even.

...If that's a reference, then it cruised over my head like an airliner in mid-flight...

Well, good to see things are going well for Baul and family. Still, amusing that they're considering an awards ceremony for the Syndicate. I suppose if it improves morale amongst the ranks, then it's not stupid. And it might set up some clever rivalries for the future. After all, if someone wins a top prize, then others with the same skill-set will be itching to take next year's award.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Some people have pointed out that it's probably Tanya from The Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Uyurgezn, kerleth, boo600 and 13 others like this.
  27. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

Idk why but I immediately started thinking of Rasputin

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  28. MajorPane

MajorPane Getting sticky.

Man, Tanya can't catch a break, first getting bullied by Being X, now getting dumped in the Presence's sandbox. Well at least she's got proper networking so she'll be able to join Paul in a decade or too when he finally kills God, should be three lifetimes of therapy right there.

Kuro-chan, Uyurgezn, boo600 and 17 others like this.
  29. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Krona is a pretty decent stand in for Being X.

30. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

That........that sounds like Tanya.

So, for the people who never watched it, Youjo Senki is an Isekai staring Tanya Degurechaff, once Japanese Salaryman who was pushed in front of a moving train by an employ he fired. In the moments before his death, he encountered a godlike entity complaining about how bullshit humans are that was quickly dubbed "Being X" due to the Salaryman saying roughly "Even if God was real, he wouldn't be so bored as to stop time the moment before my death to complain and talk shit."

Depending on which version you've read/watched, there's some mouthing off(in the LN, prompted by Being X reading Soon to be Tanya's mind and responding to his thoughts as if he spoke them) followed by Being X deciding to test the old adage about atheists and foxholes and promptly reincarnated the Salaryman as Tanya Degurechaff, a little orphan girl in Not!Germany in an alternate world shortly before politics would lead to the equivalent of World War 1.

Tanya was discovered to have magical potential(magic being a thing in this alternate world) and having brushed up on the relevant laws decided that they meant she could be drafted as an imperial mage. Deciding to get ahead of that, she decides to enlist in an effort to get a safe comfy job in the rear rather than being forced out into the battlefield.

Unfortunately, Tanya proves too good at murder and her attempts at "Signaling Theory" only serve to convince her superiors that she wants nothing more than to charge off into the front lines, which eventually leads her to being given command of an battalion of aerial mages meant to be used as a fast response unit in the war effort.

Complicating things for Tanya, Being X has not forgotten her. As part of his efforts to convince Tanya to sincerely pray to him and worship as God, Being X "blessed" her magic computation gem(magic is basically math based) to basically supercharge her whenever she prays. How sincerely is irrelevant. Also, again depending on version the gem is also slowly and steadily brainwashing her.

Tanya as a person self describes as being "Twisted with every complex imaginable." Her biggest issue, frankly, is that she tends to think everyone is far more rational and practical than they actually are(including herself) and doesn't tend to consider emotional reactions until the consequences of such start to cause her problems. She's a social chameleon that looks for the "rules" of any group or organization she's apart of and matches them to the best of her ability. She's also taken the Chicago School of Economics as her personal guidelines for how to human and has a deep and unabiding hatred of communism as a concept.

And she has the most precious smile imaginable!

[​IMG]

Magic wise, Youjo Senki's has a lot of similarities to Nanoha style magic. There's a persistent rumor that it began originally as a MGLN fanfic, but I can't find anything one way or another. As an aerial mage, Tanya's capable of flight, protecting herself with a magical barrier, enhancing the destructive power of bullets and causing explosions, creating life like illusory holograms, and my personal favorite replicating the effect of various combat drugs on her brain chemistry.

Oh, and mage blades!

[​IMG]