1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would assume seduction would ensue

Bud-E, Xmaster3000 and RichardWhereat like this.
  2. Akshka

Akshka Wait, am I lost?

I never great tired of how weird Earth is and how much of a death world it is

3. Threadmarks: Compass (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th February 2013
    17:53 GMT -5

Once, when my sister was having trouble parking her car with me in the front passenger's seat, I offered to get out in case my presence was creating a distraction. I was later informed that that was the incorrect thing to do, because by doing that I was drawing attention to her problem. So I'm not going to ask what sort of problem Dreamer's having, because that might make it harder for her. I have moved to parade rest, but I don't think that means anything to the New Gods.

The berrith is switching between staring at her and staring at the rest of us. None of the New Gods are saying anything about her… 'Difficulty' either, so there's nothing to tell him that anything is wrong. We do need him here as a reference for his brother, so-.

"Is something wrong?"

B'dg's question is perfectly innocent, but Dreamer's New God companions glare at him anyway.

"I can't do it."

Dreamer looks completely miserable at her failure, her head tilted forwards so that her hair covers her face, her posture stooped and her hands held limply at her sides.

"I can't-."

She sighs, quietly.

"Alright, and the attempts of your fellow New Gods to fix the problem hasn't worked." I shove past Moonrider as he and the other Forever People instinctively gather around their cluster mate, making myself the closest person to her. Then I firmly lay my right hand on her left shoulder, prompting her to look up at me. "So explain to me what the problem is and I'll try and help you fix it."

"E-ever since I came back from Apokolips, I can't-." She looks away, trying to get her thoughts in order. "They forced me to activate my power, to see the dreams of billions of people on a world that only knows the Anti-Life. I-it was…"

I nod. "I've got some idea. So, what? You assumed that the Source's gift wouldn't ever show you anything unpleasant?"

"No. I just-. I thought that I would always be able to endure what it showed me."

"You're still alive-. It's not working because you don't want it to work. You feel unworthy."

She nods hesitantly.

"And that undermines your whole self-concept because that's tied up with your power-. No, your connection to the Source."

I look around at the other Forever People.

"I take it that it's the same for the rest of you?"

Moonrider nods solemnly, Vykin hesitantly. Serifan just looks away, hands reaching for absent pistols. Lightray doesn't look pleased, but it doesn't look like he intends to step in to stop me.

I could probably use the orange light to force fix their problem, but… I remember a film about attempts by psychologists in the 1910s to fix speech impediments created by World War One PTSD. One was a nice bloke who tried to talk to his patients about their experiences and managed to horrify himself to the point where he got a stammer too. The other was a bit of a bastard who electrocuted his patients' vocal cords until they started working again. I like to think that even without Superman's nudging that I wouldn't go for option two unless it was time critical, and I'm certainly not going to do it here.

"Alright, I should probably… How old are you all?"

Vykin looks at Dreamer for a moment before answering. "Between thirteen and sixteen. New Gods live indefinitely, but our early years are much like yours."

"Yes, you sort of stop aging at thirty. Look, I realise that it's a shock, but you must realise that if Highfather couldn't end the war in centuries it was completely unrealistic to expect you to be able to endure the Anti-Life on Apokolips. There's a horror in what you saw that you just don't have the life experience to comprehend. That's not a sign that the Source has turned its back on you or anything like that, it's just life."

Dreamer looks at me in horror.

"That's just… Life?"

"Honestly, yes. The problem with the Anti-Life isn't that it's objectively untrue, it's that it's one side of an argument. A… Frankly unhealthy perspective. Your… When you summoned Infinity Man. You do remember how that felt, don’t you?"

"Yes."

The rest of the Forever People nod as well.

"Why would that be less 'true' than the negation of… Everything, but the Anti-Life. I've seen worlds where the locals vivisected slaves, another where they ate people and rejoiced in their fear and pain, and another where they made weapons with which to worship a being who wants to consume creation. Such places exist. And so do… Places like Oa and Maltus where people try and fix them. Or like Tamaran where the indefatigable locals just bounced back from being enslaved and brutalised and are expanding back into space. Life isn't just the nice bits, it includes the frankly disgusting bits."

I sigh.

"And I'm afraid to say that heroism isn't just flying to somewhere which at worst has a small problem, summoning a god-robot and then flying away. It's about seeing things that sicken you and keeping going because anything else is just going to result in things getting even worse. It's seeing the worst… The worst things in the universe and thanking the Source that you've got the opportunity to set them right. And accepting that sometimes you're not going to have what it takes to stop it, and that the best thing you can do is fall back and try to come up with a plan that could work."

"What do you want to achieve? What is your vision for the universe?"

"I don't want the Anti-Life to touch anyone ever again."

"Good. Good. And would you return to captivity on Apokolips if that was what it took to achieve that end?"

She shivers.

"So, okay, what do you need to do in order to become the person who would?"

"I don't know."

"If you did, would you want to do it?"

She breathes in sharply, her eyes not focusing on me. And then out sharply. And then in. And then out.

"Yes."

"A month and a half ago, my homeworld got Anti-Lifed. We're here to find a way to undo that. Anti-Life can be undone."

I move my hand from her shoulder and take hold of her left hand, lifting it to my forehead.

"Take a look at what I believe. If it helps."

She nods. "Show me your hope."

Images flicker around us. Alan forming constructs, binding the Justified and tearing off their helmets. Transmission hubs explode, people cheering with relief as their minds are free once again. A beam of white light striking Mannheim, and something dark and sinister being forced from his body. A people, bloodied but unbowed, working to repair all that was lost.

"It's not going to be quick and it's not going to be easy, but we're going to make it happen. So, do you think you're up for taking a look for the Indigo Lantern?"

She studies the images a moment longer, before nodding.

"Yes." "Show me what we need."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  4. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

Paul, stop grinding that Speech, it already Max

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'me'.

That was easily one of the most inspiring speeches Paul's ever given. Now I hope Lighray can convince Orion not to smite Paul for how their mission went.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

The power of Greed ladies and gentlemen. Want the end, want the means.

I really, really want a Paul to meet the Shadows. He would either become an honourable member or their worst enemy.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's like being told to think of a certain thing: Your mind blanks. Yet when you're told not to think of something, it's all you can think of. But sometimes, you do need to poke at an issue to help the person deal with it. Hiding it, running away from it? It won't help overcome it.

I can see where having these aliens come in, and then just stand around while one of them makes faces while holding her head might seem odd.

Well, at least it wasn't OL that broke the silence.

You can, you're just afraid to. Too afraid of failing again...

Time for the unusually mature young man to drop some words of wisdom. Or at least, that's what their Narrative senses will see...

That sounds unspeakably naive. Like a child's fantasy of being a hero...

To paraphrase All-Star Superman: "You are stronger than you think."

It fits. Confidence in yourself, translating into confidence in your gift, which allows you to ask the universe to do what you want of it.

He's probably curious as to where you're going with this.

Might be just a little excessive, yes. Especially given the way they've commented on how the Orange Light feels Apokaliptian. Might feel a little too close to the anti-Life...

Geez, brats. Don't tell me, Big Bear is actually the youngest of you. :p Still, makes sense of Serifan's love of cowboy arcana.

Yes, dear. Other people have felt the way you do. And they learn to deal with it, work through it, or just ignore it until it breaks them...

I bet it feels like being wrapped up in the warmest parental hug you could imagine. Like cotton wool protecting you from the bad stuff.

That's why it hit them so hard. They haven't lived enough to see the other side of the argument.

The Psions, the old Spider Guilders and the Qwardians. Some of the nastiest things in the galaxy... That we've seen in story, anyway.

As OL himself once (kind-of) said: "When I encounter evil, I rejoice, for when I am done, there will be one less evil in the universe."

A very noble goal, if a little difficult to achieve. Not 'destroy it utterly', you'll note. It can't be destroyed, because it's part of everything. Just as the Life equation is. Everything that is is just the place where the two rub together.

Yes, that's a pretty clear answer.

That's part of growing up. Finding your place in the world, and how to live up to it...

And with a few questions, a little encouragement...

...She regains her focus. The joy of maxing out a social interaction skill.

Careful there, OL. Never know what she'll see.

And when she finds a lead on the Indigo Tribe, that takes one step closer to coming to be.

Well done, dear. Hold onto that courage. It'll serve you well in the years to come.

Dang, OL, you silver-tongued devil. Doing more in five minutes than the New Genesisian healers could in months. At least you're putting that protagonist energy to good use, never mind that means you get what you want. I expect this will take a little while, though, as she sorts through the psychic spoor of the housing. :p So... Renegade time?

... to see the dreams of billions of people on a world that only knows the Anti-Life.

8. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'me'

'dreams of billions'

'like he intends'

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’go for’

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    To be fair, they got her to the point where she was this functional. If Earth hadn't been Anti-Lifed, Highfather would probably have asked Scott to have a word with them.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He might not smite him for this, but as for other things...

Otto von Saurion and Minars90 like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's a pretty big difference between ordinary unpleasantness and what the Anti-Life does.

Vykin: His family has a habit of growing up very, very fast. Surprisingly, Bear is actually the smallest in his family.

Though maybe it can be removed from the universe.

I think it was mentioned that it felt like it existed outside of existence.

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's already over 9000!
    A guy asked me hypothetical question a couple of days ago. If I could end a crime for good so that kind of crime would never happen again anywhere at anywhen but the cost would be that I must commit that crime myself and I would absolutely get caught for it? What would I do and would I do it?
    This sounds like that. My answer was pedophilia and I don't know.

14. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

That only applies to people with level caps.

Otto von Saurion and Doccer like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Hm. Depends. Does your jurisdiction count ephebophilia separately from paedophilia? Because I could justify having sex with an unusually mentally mature 15-and-364-day old who understood the magic involved and gave their consent, but if I had to actually fuck a baby, probably not.

I think I'd probably discriminate against someone racially. The punishment wouldn't be that bad, and it would have a large cumulative effect on human civilisation.

16. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

That’s was an amazing speech! Great work Mr. Zoat!

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I meant that Lightray would ask Orion to not take his ire over how the red light mission went on Paul, not the current indigo light mission.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  18. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I didn't know know they were that young. That's just more proof that their real purpose was to show up, summon Infinity Man and then leave.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean the Team members aren't exactly much older.

20. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The (paragon) team members don't call themselves gods, and so are less arrogant as a rule.

Otto von Saurion and Istaran like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's because he's lightly paraphrasing a real life speech by another person who won the charisma lottery.

22. Threadmarks: Compass (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    17:59 GMT -5

"Even amongst your kind, cannibalism isn't common."

The illusion of Doctor Ub'x leans around the knife floating just in front of his face, the berrith who reflexively threw it growling at him in response.

"But I can see the blood of at least five other berrith on that blade."

"I have no alpha."

"You recognise that's not right, don't you? That's not how normal members of your species think."

"If I have no alpha, I must be the alpha. The ones I killed didn't understand that. You don't understand that."

Ub'x smiles faintly. "The way you're staring at my neck is a bit of a clue. You don't know who I am, do you?"

"I can't smell you, and all h'lvenites look the same."

The berrith lunges, snatching his knife out of Ub'x's construct-grip and snapping his jaws shut just short of Ub'x's face.

Ub'x doesn't react.

"I am Doctor Ub'x, and-."

"The mad doctor. I've heard of you." The berrith actually looks a little… Pleased? Excited? "Get me off this planet and I'll kill anyone you want."

Ub'x raises his eyebrows. "You want to work for me?"

"You aren't my alpha. But I'm not a feral beast. I can trade."

"It's not that you're not a beast; it's that you're constitutionally incapable of accepting anyone in a position of authority over you. It's your brain, lad. To put it simply, you're missing something almost all berrith have. And most of those that don't have it don't live as long as you have."

"What?"

"I wasn't accusing you of being prideful. You literally can't experience what other berrith experience when they acknowledge someone as their alpha. The part of the brain that does it? You don't have it."

"That's why they…" The berrith backs off a little as he takes that information on board. "Then I will have to dominate. It is the only way that I will survive."

"No." Ub'x reaching into his coat and pulls out an indigo ring. "There is another way."

The image freezes, and I glance sideways to notice that Dreamer has perked up a little. She's… Sweating, though, and trembling as if she's undertaking strenuous physical activity. Though that could be purely psychosomatic.

"I remember that day." Huyen stares mournfully at the illusion. "He was polite to people. Usually, it was all he could do to avoid biting them."

"Did you see his power ring?"

"No." Huyen shakes his head. "He didn't tell me that he had one. I didn't ask why he was behaving differently because." He tilts his neck and I see the gaps in his fur where the skin underneath is scarred. "When we fought he never stopped until he won. I just thought that he… Mpf."

So Ub'x recruited him because he couldn't function in berrith society? Because he thought that the indigo light could substitute for the pack instinct he didn’t have? He'd killed and eaten people, but for a berrith or a Lantern that isn't that big a deal. Berrith accept fighting for dominance, and there was a clear biological reason why he wasn't fitting in with the rest.

Wait, did they fight h'lvenites because they're small, and so they categorise them as terminally omega?

Vykin looks relieved. "Dreamer, can you use this to locate him?"

"I can feel other places where he has been, if we are close. But…"
    Show Me The Path.
    The image twitches and warps, shifting into… A rocky landscape, the sky clear and dark and-. Ub'x is talking to someone-.

The image fade and Dreamer staggers into Moonrider's waiting arms.

Ring, stellar mapping. Where were those stars?

Working. Multiple possible locations found.

Showing that landscape?

Not all worlds have full geophysics scans on file. Rocks are not an uncommon geological feature.

Alright, alright. Pick the closest.

Location available.

"I might have it. My ring's calculated places where those stars can be seen in those patterns. If we go to one of the possibles, could you eliminate it as a possibility?"

Dreamer is propping herself up on Moonrider, but she makes eye contact with me as she nods. "If you can take us to that place, yes."

"Alright then. Huyen, thank you for your assistance. It seems like your brother would have been a good fit for the Indigo Lantern Corps and it's a shame that he wasn't ever able to realise his potential."

"I suppose it is. I'd have liked to know him better when he didn't start fights."

"I don't know berrith customs, but if you like I can get a recording of what happened on Ranx before he died."

"No. I don't want to. He's dead and the alphas who had him killed are dead." He hesitates. "But I want to talk to that h'lvenite. If you find him, tell him."

I nod. "We will."

The New Gods have already started filing out of the room. B'dg looks uncertain about… Something, then flies after them.

Hm.

I stride out of the building, the New Gods clustering around Dreamer.

"Right you lot. Since bluntness seemed to work for Dreamer, would the rest of you like to talk about your problems before we move on?"

Serifan's right hand twitches towards his empty holster. "Get my guns back and I'll let them do my talking for me."

"By the time I was first exposed to the Anti-Life I was already so resistant to it that I barely felt it, just a discordant buzz of nonsense. However, achieving that state did require me to fully integrate all of my most disgusting and monstrous repressed desires into my consciousness. I believe that's a close equivalent. My current clarity-."

Bear looks bewildered. "It doesn't affect you? When you-. Hear it-."

"It's just words. Those parts of the Anti-Life I've been exposed to before are so contrary to my nature that they don't find any purchase. I find myself thinking a thing and I immediately reject it."

"What did it say?"

"Ah… The Key said 'purpose equals failure'. It tried to make me think that anything I attempted would eventually undo itself. But, I mean, if you think about it, that's true for everything. The universe has a finite lifespan. Eventually, everything ends. But that doesn't mean that anything you do or try to do doesn't mean anything. That it doesn't matter for everyone who experiences it. As an Orange Lantern I prioritise realising my desires, and most of those are for relatively short term things. You don't… Not eat a meal because at some point you'll be hungry again, do you? It's daft."

He glances at the others, and then looks… Nervous?

"That wasn't what it said to me. Us."

"No, you were actually on Apokolips. What did it say?"

"I-. I can't say it. Not until I'm sure it won't come out."

"Okay. How about we head back to the h'lvenite school, and you can… Indirectly describe it to me."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

My bet is either Self=Darkseid or Life=Pain.

24. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

On one hand, fixing them up as much as he can preemptively is just good sense.
    On the other hand... essentially bleeding the Anti-Life out of them like a poison narratively means something's going to fuck up, like someone else wandering in and getting infected as well.

25. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

every time i see Anti-Life i'm like, yead very edgy nihilistic crap there

of course everything suck, as if Life itself will bend over backward for you, but giving up is for loser, life inherently does not have a meaning to it, meaning are define by us and what we are

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Nothing like catching a thrown knife without moving a finger to establish that no, that isn't a threat to you. Pity some folks are too dumb to take the hint and back down. Like this young berrith, it seems.

No-one you would care to acknowledge as one, you mean.

Yeah, that isn't how it works, puppy. Got an ego on him, doesn't he?

Joy of the environmental shield. And don't be racist, puppy.

Well, the Doctor is confident in his defenses. Warranted, given how strong they can be...

Oh? Awful helpful all of a sudden.

I suppose that works as a psychological dodge. 'Aw, he isn't better than me. But he's tough enough to be an equal.'

I would assume such deficient mutants get themselves killed in suicidally overconfident challenges of authority...

Oh, he's smart, isn't he? Not sure if the math works out that way. But he sure seems to think so...

Given she's fighting her own lack of self-confidence, it's not surprising it's tiring. Doing something unfamiliar can be exhausting.

So, the Ring was pumping him full of Compassion, then. Because that's a hell of a mental reversal otherwise.

Or the surfeit of Compassion simply overwhelmed his unnatural instincts and pushed him much farther the other way.

Well, they do look like tasty little rodents, don't they? Probably resemble something from the berrith homeworld that they'd normally prey on.

Oh, joy. That's not going to be easy to locate.

Ah, of course. Thank goodness for extensive galactic mapping.

Well, then. Looks like it's a simple matter to track through them in a straight-ish line.

And lay off the sarcasm, will you? Geez.

It sounds a bit of a wild goose chase, but stranger plots have worked out.

Honestly, I'd say 'would you have wanted someone like him in their Corps' but that's the whole point of them.

I'm sure Ranx has plenty of visual recordings from that period. What Ub'x didn't erase, anyway

Hmm... To offer thanks or take vengeance? Or perhaps something out of left field? I doubt we'd ever see it, though.

I'm guessing he's reconsidering how he saw the berrith all these years. That's what happens when you get to meet them up close rather than look at them as a monolithic single entity.

Best to get it out of the way, I suppose.

In other words, OL has a license to be an asshole if the need arises. :p

I shudder if they manage to discover something that would align with his desires. Unlikely as that might be.

Teleute (Death): "Damn straight, kiddo."

Probably something along the lines of 'resistance=futility' and 'obedience=happiness'.

Shed some light on it, and perhaps the threat you've built it up as will evaporate. As Alan liked to say: "Dark things cannot stand the light."

Well, on with the journey. Now OL gets to play 'match the skyline' with however many worlds the Ring identified. Still, once they get off planet, it'll be easier because they can Boom Tube from place to place. Such a time-saver. And while they travel, he gets to play armchair psychotherapist with them. Let's hope it's not a long trip. :p

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They should be able to tell he's lying here given they're New Gods.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. goricnac

goricnac I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thats because that is basically what it is, it's edgy nihilism but presented in a way that is so damn convincing, true, and infectious, it becomes weaponized depression. Just because to a rational mind the contents of the memetic hazard are stupid doesnt mean it loses power as a memetic hazard.

29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’be’

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.