1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

That's a stretch. Why would you want to make the almost brand new lantern a White Lantern? All we know is that Paul plans to use the White Light. But remember when Renegade used it, all their rings shut down immediately after. Not very conductive to purging the Earth.
    My guess is that Dr Mist (being White Enlightened), will end up channeling the White Light, so if anyone becomes a lantern it would be him.

My understanding is that a White Ring specifically requires the Life Entity's approval. Not sure if this situation qualifies (as far as we are aware, the Life Entity has remained undisturbed even with Anti-Life on planet).

2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

How come it’s still damaged? I thought this whole business that they were investigating happened weeks or months ago. Do the statejians have such slow FTL, or are they just lazy, or what?
    ‘apart’
    Always nice to see some of the greater sights of the universe.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Paul has converted a green ring to an orange ring, Alan's green ring was converted into a blue ring- What's with this "rings are connected to a single emotion by their structure" supposed to be coming from?

You fill a ring with the orange light of avarice, you get an orange ring, you fill a ring with hope, you have a blue ring, that's how it works in the comics, that's how it's been shown to work in this story.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    It's not really clear in the comics. Drax and his immediate predecessor had some sort of interraction with the Omega Force that left them displaced, but it's not clear for either of them exactly how it happened.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The SI doesn't know. Might be that they're focusing their industry on other things, might be that they don't need the hydrogen, or it might be that it's more recent than that.
    Thank you, corrected.
    He's got a ring whose colour is specifically good at turning things orange, then he used the structure to completely change it. He couldn't channel the green light through John's ring after converting it.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul actually already met a member of this race when he rescued her from a Dominion prison.

6. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I immediately jumped to the Shadow Lass example, but now that you mention it, I wonder if Paul is going to recruit Lyssa before Sinestro ever meets her... or if they're going to meet her and she already has a yellow ring, of course.

7. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

The Dark Elves of DC. I think Tasmia was drawn with slightly pointed ears some of the time even.

One of my favourite three legionesses? legionatrixes? "Legionariae" says Wiktionary.

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I thought the trick was that compassion allows you to feel what others feel. So it can copy the other colours abilities too.

9. Stsword

It is, Zoat apparently takes issue with DC canon on the matter.

10. Pez

Pez Spaceman

How would Paul handle the Phantom Ring? Have we seen some version of him with it? An Enlightened!Paul could probably handle it, though I strongly suspect any other version would fail just as the character did in the comic.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  11. Stsword

He'd point out it doesn't exist because DC stopped publishing comic books in 2011. :)

But seriously Zoat is a grognard (to borrow the gaming term because I don't know if comics has its own slang for that sort of thing) who as a rule doesn't care for post flashpoint DC, so such material he includes in his story is the exception not the rule.

12. Threadmarks: Gateway (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

21st August 2015
    21:05 Japan Time

Diabo curls up into a foetal position, then bites down on his right forearm and starts sort of rolling back and forth on the ground.

"Yes, using emotional stabilisers and then coming off them can have that effect on people."

"Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh…"

"I thought that you did a good job."

"Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh…"

"Alright, alright. Get it out of your system."

He rolls back and forth a few more times, then rolls onto his back with his arms flapping down on either side of his torso.

"I'm dead. I'm dead."

"Can I have your dressing gown?"

He blinks. "Huh?"

"Since you're dead, and I doubt that you want your brother or father to have it. I won't be able to use it for a while, but it's pretty nice."

"I don't think this is a dressing gown."

"No?"

"I saw people wearing them outside."

"It still looks nice."

He tilts his head up to look at his yukata. "It does. Their weaving is as much ahead of ours as everything else they do."

"You'd be surprised. A lot of the traditional crafts haven't changed all that much. If you want to see the design, you could probably share it with the Empire's weavers."

"I just want to forget that the gate ever opened."

"On that subject, how are you doing?"

"Can you keep me from falling asleep?"

"Yes? But I wouldn't worry. They've got a crack team guarding this place, and-"

"You think they're guarding it!"

"Honestly, yes."

"Can you check? Can..? I check?"

"Ah, no. You could find out if they want to kill you, but you would only know if they planned to kill you in your sleep after they received their orders because I doubt that they feel any malice for you personally."

"Oh."

"And I doubt that they'll receive them. Killing ambassadors is frowned upon."

"It's frowned upon in the Empire as well. Do you know how many ambassadors we've killed?"

"Yes. I'm a god."

"O-." His eyes widen. "I meant no offence, divinity."

"It's fine. But do you really want to stay in this room-"

"Yes."

"-rather than gain useful intelligence on Japanese society by interacting with your protection detail?"

"Yes… But… No."

He sighs and rolls into a sitting position.

"What should I try to learn?"

"How they think. What makes them do things. You already know that they don't act like citizens of the Empire. You need to learn how far it goes."

He nods, and I feel his own desire kindle as he immediately associates learning about the Japanese with his own short and medium term survival.

"You also need some sort of plan for when we get back."

"What can I do? I haven't won a victory. Father might even refuse to ratify the treaty I'm negotiating in the hope that the gate will close before he needs to pay them."

"By now, the soldiers sieging Alnus will have had plenty of time to see the bodies of their late comrades, won't they?"

"Yes. They won't just leave the bodies there to rot."

"And..?

"And… They'll have seen their injuries. What the Japanese weapons did to them. The tributary kings and the legate will be on my side, at least. But the senators in the capital won't be."

"You appear to have forgotten that you have me."

"I can't just pick them up and shove their faces in the giant mounds of corpses."

"..."

"I.. can?"

"In practical terms, yes. There's the further question of whether or not it would actually be productive to do that which you should consider before actually doing it."

"… Oh."

He stares blankly at the wall in front of him.

"I had assumed that the thing with the dragon would have caused you to gain an awareness of your personal power."

"Assassins. I can't-. If I do that with rich and powerful people-."

"How often do apostles get assassinated?"

"But I'm only as resilient as an apostle when I'm awake. Aren't I?"

"You're still tougher than a normal person when you're asleep. Poison or a stab with a knife wouldn't be enough. There are also various things that can be done to the room to make it harder for someone to approach your bed. Alternately, you could build a house on top of a mountain where no one else can reach and fly there at the end of each day."

He gazes into the middle distance. "I prefer that."

"Prince Diabo, you are going to need to interact with those people eventually."

"Yes… Yes, and I did, but I'm a lot more… Significant now. Whether they agree with what I've done or not."

"Life is not a safe occupation, Diabo. And while I'm sure that it sounds trite, the only way to get over your fears is to confront them."

"It's not that easy."

"Alright. Let's start with the security detail. You're awake, and you already know that you can defend yourself against their weapons."

"Yes, that's… True." He reluctantly pulls himself upright and walks towards the sliding door to his room. "And the young officer seemed-"

A bullet punches through the wooden wall and slams into his forehead!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  13. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

At least it's not an explosion.

14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

desire -> desires
    Hahahhaha, well that was unexpected.

15. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"I really, really don't want to leave my nice safe room surrounded by guards."

"Oh, come on, what's the worst that could happen?"

*Bullet immediately impacts forcefield on his skull*

Murphy, sitting on the rooftop next door with a rifle: "Fuckin' gottem again."

16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Apollo: "Murphy had nothing to do with it."

17. Mr Zoat

No, just one.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. Gate OL dropping some fierce sass on his host. Still, he shouldn't antagonise the boy too much. I doubt any other person in a place to wear the Ring will be willing to do so if Diabo lets them know what it involves.

I mean, just think about the look on the politicians' faces when you told them the Gate would close by itself.

Sometimes, you just got to sit down and have a good cry about things.

Pretty lively for a dead man, I notice. Oh, you meant because of your family? Fuck them.

Heh. I suppose that's a good way to snap him out of his despair.

I mean, if the robe fits...

What, the Japanese folks? That's kind of an old-fashioned thing, though.

And traditional Japanese formal wear like that can be baller.

Sadly, there's no taking that back. That's on the gods.

Easily, but doing so does have deletorious effects on a human brain, even with a Ring's capabilities...

Hey, they're probably still not sure about you, I guess. It's only natural to be wary.

It would be a good time for a lesson in the more esoteric aspects of Ring-slinging.

I honestly don't know if that's deflating to the ego or not...

More than they should have, I suspect.

Well, a god on a technicality. But if you gotta play the role, own it.

I mean, it probably is a reasonably safe place right now.

Spirit guide's got a point, kid.

...Everything. :p But right now, just a few simple things will suffice.

Good, that's a good way to focus. It's not entirely sustainable, but it's a good start.

Yeah, but you did stop the Japanese going and kicking his ass.

Waste not, want not? In something of a grim manner...

Morons sitting on their asses miles away from any real danger. Fuck them too.

OL: <Grins in psychic amusement.>

I'm sure it would be very satisfying, at least.

Aw, putting a dampener on the potential fun...

I suspect he hasn't really had a chance to internalise all that yet.

Having the backing of a god does give them a little bit of freedom from conventional morality, I suppose.

Or, you know... I'm sure OL still has the formulae for a couple of certain alchemical serums in his database. A little testing to see if they work here, and...

And need to keep in mind that right now, you'd be doing it from a position of power.

See? Keep thinking like that. You have power now. Feel free to swing the metaphorical dick a little...

Honestly, they'd need at least a tank shell to hurt him. And then only if he's off-guard.

Heh. That's a way to have a cliffhanger!

Well, looks like there's trouble afoot. Whether it's targetting Diabo or just the Japanese camp remains to be seen, though. That might well have been a stray round. I suppose Diabo'll have to go out there so OL can have a chat with the shooter about checking his backstop. Before or after some ass-kicking, anyway.

"I don't think this is a dressing gown."

19. Stsword

Although if this was happening in DC it would be Vext's fault.

God of misfortune and mishap, son of the god of being cuckolded and the goddess of emasculating shrews, on and off boyfriend of the goddess of romantic relationships that go hellishly wrong.

Otto von Saurion, w34v3r and Bud-E like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I take it this Paul somehow Danner Formulaed him?

Since otherwise it wouldn't have actually hit his forehead but a forcefield.

Otto von Saurion, Bud-E and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you.

22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘with the’?
    ’an apostle’

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

If that god is the god of being cuckold, do we really know if Vext is actually his son?

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well again, the Japan of Gate is hated for a reason.

26. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Can I get a link to the first post for this sidestory?
    Do wish we could have a separate set of threadmarks to follow each sidestory.

27. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

28. Threadmarks: Gateway (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

21st August 2015
    21:08 Japan Time

"-easy-going!"

The bullet flattens against the part of the environmental shield covering his forehead, penetrating just enough to embed into it and delivering just enough kinetic force to knock him back a step. Construct armour snapping into place around his body, he raises his hand to check for blood even as he braces himself.

His hand finds the bullet and for a moment he's more confused than anything else. He's mentally off balance and it's not an immediately familiar object. Most bullets around Alnus Hill didn't hit anything that hard and so didn't deform quite as much, and the word he hears for 'bullet' refers to stones use in slings.

Then he realises what it is, and throws himself through the door.

"Guards!"

The lieutenant and one of the other male soldiers are already running towards us, also dressed in yukata but with their sidearms at the ready.

"Prince Diabo, are you okay!?"

"Someone shot me in the head!" He holds out the flattened bullet as proof of his injury. "See!"

The soldier looks Diabo over. "It doesn't look like you're bleeding, your highness."

Diabo isn't reassured. "Who's attacking us?!"

The lieutenant looks a little awkward. "We don't know, but the perimeter security should be all over them. It was probably just a stray bullet rather than one that was aimed at you specifically. We should move further towards the middle of the resort."

He gestures down the left hand corridor, and Diabo follows his direction.

"Were any of your people injured, Lieutenant?"

"No." He takes the lead as we come to an intersection, checking both directions with his gun ready before stepping forward. "Our radio operator is trying to contact our command, and the rest are getting their equipment."

Diabo, we could resolve this ourselves.

That would make them think that we think that they're incompetent.

You did get shot in the head in the middle of their sea-bounded country. At a certain point it's something they thank you for doing to save them the embarrassment.

He slows down, looking at me on his left hand and nearly having the soldier on rearguard walk into him.

I know that you're used to being relatively powerless, but the image of strength-.

Alnus Hill was different! I had to do it there! I have guards here!

I hate to sound like a-. Person who repeats themselves, but I'm forced to ask once again: what would the Diabo you want to be do?

He'd be surrounded by loyal guards who would put themselves between him and people who could kill him!

Have you seen your shield?

He stops completely, causing the Lieutenant to give him an interrogative look.

Are you certain that they don't have anything that can hurt me?

Am I? His construct armour is reasonable. Good, even, for someone who has been using a ring for only a few days. Repeated anti-material rifle shots would go through it, but would anyone have actually brought one of those? Regular sniper rifles wouldn't even penetrate his environmental shield thanks to his underlying need for personal safety. I haven't seen any weapon lasers or exotic weapons. A suitcase nuke would kill him, but the chance of someone bringing one of those

While I can't promise that for certain, the chance of them having anything that can hurt you while you maintain your focus is vanishingly small. Use this ring to expand your awareness if you want to be certain.

"Ah, your highness? We should move."

Knowing wouldn't hurt, I suppose.

His eyes glow orange as he turns in a circle, trying to see who it is outside the spa resort. I see… Asian faces with… No unit patches, obviously, but overwhelmingly carrying genes from China. The other side in the gunfight appear to come from a more mixed background, which doesn't actually narrow it down. Very few places have special forces soldiers from a single ethnic background; they could come from just about any former European colony. Though given that this is Japan-

Diabo blinks as he focuses on the Lieutenant.

"The Japanese guards have vanished."

-I would guess they're America. They're all using NATO equipment, but for the Chinese that's probably because they copied it.

The Lieutenant nods. "That explains why we can't reach them."

Diabo, the fight outside appears to be between Chinese and American soldiers. China is a strategic enemy of Japan while Japan and America have been allied for seventy years. Given that the only obvious reason for the absence of the Japanese soldiers is their deaths, I would guess that the Americans are answering their call for help.

Are America and Japan equals?

Oh gosh no. America has more than twice as many people, a far larger military and strategic nuclear weapons.

What are-? Oh.

Yeah. Want to know why Japanese men are all thin? It's because last time they had a fat man, a city vanished.

"Lieutenant, I… I think I should go outside and help your allies."

"Ah… Well, we hit you with everything we had when you landed on your dragon, and you didn't get hurt. But we're supposed to keep you safe."

"I appreciate that." Diabo takes a moment to get himself-. He's thinking of himself as Emperor, how that will make him safe both physically and socially. "But I've got a god in a ring on my finger and you don't. Thank you for your trouble."

Diabo hasn't got the hang of transmission, but the idea that being an apostle means that he should be able to move faster than a normal man is a far easier one to grasp. The wood-panelled walls blur past us as he runs, a construct sword-

Really?

I know how to use it.

-appearing in his right hand. And then we're outside, flickers of light and bursts of sound echoing from the woodland surrounding us. The gunmen are using suppressors, but all that does is muffle the noise a little.

The ones who look like the Japanese, but with rounder faces?

Check that their equipment matches, because there are ethnic Chinese and Japanese in America.

Alright. I see… There.

The wood blurs past, and I see through his eyes as he bursts through a bush into a Chinese fire team. They don’t have time to reposition themselves before he's among them, sword stabbing through necks and eyes. As they fall he checks again and dashes towards the other cluster of Chinese survivors. This time one is facing the right way to see the oncoming orange glow and gets a volley off with his automatic rifle, but Diabo's armour construct is easily up to the task of stopping it. And stopping the blood spray as he slashes with his sword, sending the man's head flying.

Diabo checks his surroundings, sword at the ready and breathing far harder than his level of exertion really warrants.

"American soldiers! The Chinese are dead! I thank you for your assistance! If you have injuries, I am willing to offer my aid!"

And then the flashbang goes off.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

*Stares very hard at Mr Zoat*

This was bad... And this Paul should feel bad about making a joke that bad...

30. Anderon

Anderon Getting sticky.

Obligatiry oil goblin joke: Empire was doomed as soon as the Americans found out there is oil in their land.