• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

matte
Missing full stop.
Thank you, corrected.
So Zoat, could you maybe take a break for a day or two? Skip a few updates to plot the plot a bit better, and also maybe explain what the hell you were thinking when you do stuff like this?
The SI is talking to someone who has just been ordered to work towards closing the Indigo Lantern Corps down. The result of him saying 'I'm not going to let you do that' is him fighting B'dg right now, and the Orange Lantern Corps fighting the Green Lantern Corps shortly afterwards in defence of people who have demonstrated the ability to evade detection perfectly well by themselves.

Compass (part 19)
13th February 2013
21:21 GMT -5

I wave as the Forevercar converges with B'dg and I on the way to the hermitage. Dreamer was trying to track Peldak's path to the planet, and it looks like we reached the same conclusion. Vykin turns the control yoke so that the car manoeuvres closer to us, raising his right hand to hail me as he does.

"Orange Lantern. We have felt a.. strange… Absence here. Do you know what it is?"

"Ah… Did you eat before you left New Genesis?"

He doesn't so much as smile. "Please. This is a serious matter."

"What you're feeling is probably the local connection to the Shadowlands."

"What is that?"

"Not entirely sure. There are a few people on Earth who can connect to it to do various things with semi-tangible shadows, and as I understand it the warrior elite amongst the locals can do the same thing."

"So you have seen only their abilities, and not the Shadowlands themselves?"

"I saw… One creature that allegedly came from there, but I've never seen the place. Lightray? Anything you want to add?"

He shakes his head. "This is new to me as well."

"You've never heard of the Great Darkness? Would have been..? About fifteen years ago?"

"Fifteen Earth-years would be about… The only thing I can recall from that period was a… Confusing couple of days where we could not feel the Source."

"Sounds about right. The Great Darkness entity has gone to the Source, but its presence lingers in the Shadowlands. What that means for magic or physics or what it is that you do, I don't know."

"Hey." B'dg flies in front of me. "What does it do to power rings?"

"Smothers all but the brightest constructs. If we get into a fight, keep your distance and fire material projectiles."

"I ain't ever practiced that."

"Well… Now's a good time to start."

B'dg doesn't look any happier. "So we're going to meet someone who can turn power rings off."

"No, we're going to meet their facilities manager. Someone who can call on about…" Ring? "Fifteen or so other people who can turn power rings off."

"Oh. Yeah. That's better."

"You're free to leave."

"Actually I'm not. Like I said, the Guardians want everyone on this who can get on this. I'm assigned to track down Peldak, wherever she is. So I'm sticking with you."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

Vykin turns towards our destination. "The creature from the Shadowlands. I presume it was dangerous?"

"Yes. Strong, tough and fast, and resistant to exotic attacks and capable of phasing. But Talokites don't generally call things up."

Moonrider smiles faintly. "Because they have no need?"

I nod solemnly. "Because they have no need. But that's a worst case scenario, and look on the bright side! That fact that you're struggling with your god powers won't matter if you wouldn't be able to use them anyway!"

"Hehehe."

The other Forever People look around, surprised that.. Dreamer just laughed. She looks around at her team mates.

"He's right. It takes some of the weight off my mind. Mooney, we will rely on your lightning gun for protection."

"It is New God technology. Even if it not dependent on my dharma, it will not work if our connection to the Source is disrupted."

Serifan looks smug. "My revolvers will work just fine."

"Hey." Bear looks mildly concerned. "We're visiting a shrine used by this world's greatest heroes. We don't need weapons. Look." He points to the main entrance, where a native woman in dark blue robes with a large leather-bound book in one arm has emerged to greet us. "See? She's friendly."

And better yet, she's not carrying a yellow power ring. Empathic vision isn't giving me anything useful, but if this place covers a portal to the Shadowlands -or something similar- then that's hardly surprising.

I do hope that we've arrived too early in her personal spiritual journey for any of… Whatever lead her to sign up with Sinestro to have happened.

She really didn't have much character in the comics, did she?

I fly ahead as the Forevercar sets down in the landing zone. "Hello there. I'm the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, and this is my colleague Lantern B'dg." Ms. Drak nods. "We're looking for Lantern Peldak. Have you seen her?"

"Yes, though I'm afraid that she's no longer with us."

Rats.

"Can you tell us what she was doing here? What she wanted?"

"I can show you. Please, follow me. Your… Friends, as well."

And so we fall in behind her as she leads the way into her… Church? It has a gothic church feel to it, though the stone is darker than St Mary's. Vaulted arches form tunnels into the interior of the mountain, while friezes on the ceiling show scenes of warriors conjuring shadows to fight… A plethora of different enemies.

"Don't be confused by the appearance. This shrine is only a little under two hundred years old." She smiles faintly. "The original structure was far more simple."

Moonrider frowns. "So why change it?"

"One of the Shadow Champions of the time was a good friend of the continent's ruler. After he died, the ruler… 'Improved' the site as a tribute. It was a nice gesture but rather foolish: it was only ever supposed to be a dark hole in the ground. Adding worldliness to a place that is supposed to confront the petitioner with the other distracts from the whole thing. It's fortunate that the hermitage itself was maintained in its original fashion."

"Is that what Peldak wanted?"

"A chance to confront something terrifying, yes. I didn't let her enter the inner part of the hermitage, of course, but for those who seek to test themselves, there are vestibules close by that can be accessed."

"How did it go?"

"It's hard to say. I believe that she saw something, but other species don't always respond to the touch of the Father of Shadows in the way that we do."

I'm not sure that I'll see anything, but I open my empathic-.

Severance.

That-. She.. died? That-.

I look at Ms. Drak. And at the colour of the leather binding the book she's pulling up-.

Swirls of blackness lance out and the world falls away!

Last edited:
I wave as the Forvercar converges with B'dg and I on the way to the hermitage. Dreamer was trying to track Peldak's path to the planet, and it looks like we reached the same conclusion. Vykin turns the control yoke so that the car manoeuvres closer to us, raising his right hand to hail me as he does.
That should say 'Forevercar'.

Severance.

I look at Ms. Drak. And at the colour of the leather binding the book she's pulling up-.

That can't be good. Hopefully Paul will at least learn a few new tricks from whatever will happen to him.

Severance.

Let the bets commence!

I have five quantaloos on LePaul completely failing to learn what he is supposed to in his spiritual journey.

13th February 2013

I wave as the Forvercar converges with B'dg and I on the way to the hermitage. Dreamer was trying to track Peldak's path to the planet, and it looks like we reached the same conclusion. Vykin turns the control yoke so that the car manoeuvres closer to us, raising his right hand to hail me as he does.

"Orange Lantern. We have felt a.. strange… Absence here. Do you know what it is?"
Good to see they're not completely helpless in the absence of a protagonist. :D I rather suspect some part of their Narrative is bowing to OL's sheer heroic energy. Not that any of them would realise it, blind to the fourth wall as they are.

"Ah… Did you eat before you left New Genesis?"

He doesn't so much as smile. "Please. This is a serious matter."
Hey, it's a valid question. If your connection to the Source is on the fritz, of course you're going to be feeling a little mortal.

"What you're feeling is probably the local connection to the Shadowlands."

"What is that?"
Not surprised they can feel the spooky place, attuned to the arcane as they are.

"Not entirely sure. There are a few people on Earth who can connect to it to do various things with semi-tangible shadows, and as I understand it the warrior elite amongst the locals can do the same thing."

"So you have seen only their abilities, and not the Shadowlands themselves?"
Well, it has to come from somewhere, after all.

"I saw… One creature that allegedly came from there, but I've never seen the place. Lightray? Anything you want to add?"

He shakes his head. "This is new to me as well."
Yeah, he's hardly Blacklightray. Though he'd probably be a bit of a stoner if he were. :D

"You've never heard of the Great Darkness? Would have been..? About fifteen years ago?"

"Fifteen Earth-years would be about… The only thing I can recall from that period was a… Confusing couple of days where we could not feel the Source."
For reference: The Great Darkness. And that 'fifteen years ago' could be referring to a Crisis...

"Sounds about right. The Great Darkness entity has gone to the Source, but its presence lingers in the Shadowlands. What that means for magic or physics or what it is that you do, I don't know."

"Hey." B'dg flies in front of me. "What does it do to power rings?"
It's absolute, stifling darkness. What do you think it does? :p

"Smothers all but the brightest constructs. If we get into a fight, keep your distance and fire material projectiles."

"I ain't ever practiced that."
See, this is why you don't skip Basic training, rookie.

"Well… Now's a good time to start."

B'dg doesn't look any happier. "So we're going to meet someone who can turn power rings off."
Oh, don't think so small, Bd'g. The entire race of this planet has the potential to tap into the Darkness...

"No, we're going to meet their facilities manager. Someone who can call on about…" Ring? "Fifteen or so other people who can turn power rings off."

"Oh. Yeah. That's better."
Well, don't piss her off and you'll do fine.

"You're free to leave."

"Actually I'm not. Like I said, the Guardians want everyone on this who can get on this. I'm assigned to track down Peldak, wherever she is. So I'm sticking with you."
Ha! Stuck with the cognitive hazard work, eh? Hope it's reflected in your paycheck.

Vykin turns towards our destination. "The creature from the Shadowlands. I presume it was dangerous?"
That would be a safe bet, yes.

"Yes. Strong, tough and fast, and resistant to exotic attacks and capable of phasing. But Talokites don't generally call things up."

Moonrider smiles faintly. "Because they have no need?"
Good eye, Mooney.

I nod solemnly. "Because they have no need. But that's a worse case scenario, and look on the bright side! That fact that you're struggling with your god powers won't matter if you wouldn't be able to use them anyway!"

"Hehehe."
Ah, OL. Always looking on the bright side of things.

The other Forever People look around, surprised that.. Dreamer just laughed. She looks around at her team mates.

"He's right. It takes some of the weight off my mind. Mooney, we will rely on your lightning gun for protection."
...Honestly, what powers other than calling up visions and memories does Dreamer have in combat? And on that note, is her name really 'Dreamer'? What where her parents thinking, I wonder?

"It is New God technology. Even if it not dependent on my dharma, it will not work if our connection to the Source is disrupted."

Serifan looks smug. "My revolvers will work just fine."
Yes, because they're just chemistry and physics. Nothing magical there.

"Hey." Bear looks mildly concerned. "We're visiting a shrine used by this world's greatest heroes. We don't need weapons. Look." He points to the main entrance, where a native woman in dark blue robes with a large leather-bound book in one arm has emerged to greet us. "See? She's friendly."

And better yet, she's not carrying a yellow power ring. Empathic vision isn't giving me anything useful, but if this place covers a portal to the Shadowlands -or something similar- then that's hardly surprising.
And at least she's wearing more than her outfit during her Sinestro Corps days.

I do hope that we've arrived too early in her personal spiritual journey for any of… Whatever lead her to sign up with Sinestro to have happened.

She really didn't have much character in the comics, did she?
Just one of those walking plot device characters, I suppose. Existing to provide whatever exposition the writer needed to drop.

I fly ahead as the Forevercar sets down in the landing zone. "Hello there. I'm the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, and this is my colleague Lantern B'dg." Ms. Drak nods. "We're looking for Lantern Peldak. Have you seen her?"

"Yes, though I'm afraid that she's no longer with us."
...As in 'she left' or as in 'she died'? Please, do be precise here...

Rats.

"Can you tell us what she was doing here? What she wanted?"
Be careful what you ask for, OL, and how you ask for it...

"I can show you. Please, follow me. Your… Friends, as well."

And so we fall in behind her as she leads the way into her… Church? It has a gothic church feel to it, though the stone is darker than St Mary's. Vaulted arches form tunnels into the interior of the mountain, while friezes on the ceiling show scenes of warriors conjuring shadows to fight… A plethora of different enemies.
And no doubt the shadows in the corners feel just a little bit deeper than they should be, hmm?

"Don't be confused by the appearance. This shrine is only a little under two hundred years old." She smiles faintly. "The original structure was far more simple."

Moonrider frowns. "So why change it?"
Someone's ego, most likely.

"One of the Shadow Champions of the time was a good friend of the continent's ruler. After he died, the ruler… 'Improved' the site as a tribute. It was a nice gesture but rather foolish: it was only ever supposed to be a dark hole in the ground. Adding worldliness to a place that is supposed to confront the petitioner with the other distracts from the whole thing. It's fortunate that the hermitage itself was maintained in its original fashion."

"Is that what Peldak wanted?"
To be fair, for something like the Shadowlands, a black pit with no light at all would probably suffice.

"A chance to confront something terrifying, yes. I didn't let her enter the inner part of the hermitage, of course, but for those who seek to test themselves, there are vestibules close by that can be accessed."

"How did it go?"
At least they can cater to the curious. Though it's probably a very sobering experience.

"It's hard to say. I believe that she saw something, but other species don't always respond to the touch of the Father of Shadows in the way that we do."

Ah, might want to ask permission before you do that, OL...

Severance.

Not necessarily. After all, the Shadowlands stifle the Emotional Spectrum...

...The book is yellow, isn't it?

Well, that's off to a great start. Hopefully this is just some shadow-related thing and not a covert action by the Sinestro Corps. And more importantly, is it just OL getting the light out treatment, or is the whole group getting a dose? Regardless, seeing how he reacts to this is going to be fascinating.

Well, that's off to a great start. Hopefully this is just some shadow-related thing and not a covert action by the Sinestro Corps. And more importantly, is it just OL getting the light out treatment, or is the whole group getting a dose? Regardless, seeing how he reacts to this is going to be fascinating.
It's LePaul.

He basically has two settings at this point. Thinly veiled superiority lecture. And face punching.

So I'm sticking with you."

At least you know what you are.

. "Because they have no need. But that's a worse case scenario

Maybe "worst"

"Hey." Bear looks mildly concerned. "We're visiting a shrine used by this world's greatest heroes. We don't need weapons. Look." He points to the main entrance, where a native woman in dark blue robes with a large leather-bound book in one arm has emerged to greet us. "See? She's friendly

Well that's up for debate.

Honestly, what powers other than calling up visions and memories does Dreamer have in combat? And on that note, is her name really 'Dreamer'? What where her parents thinking, I wonder?

I'm guessing she has telepathic attacks.

Also, when New Gods fully ascend into their godhood they take on a new name, like Darkseid originally being Uxas, so Dreamer probably did something similar.

Just one of those walking plot device characters, I suppose. Existing to provide whatever exposition the writer needed to drop.

Also to show some cleavage and thigh.

The book is yellow, isn't it?

She's not necessarily working for Sinestro.

This honestly may be how they conduct their affairs.

Let the bets commence!
I have five quantaloos on LePaul completely failing to learn what he is supposed to in his spiritual journey.
I'll see your five quantaloos, and raise you "he kills, ruins, or subverts the instructing entity in a way which shouldn't be possible with his current abilities."

13th February 2013

Severance.

And Paul walks into Trap 10492.

It would be interesting to have a running scorecard of the traps the various Paul variants fall into.

I mean it probably won't kill him (again) but still, bad practice all around.

And Paul walks into Trap 10492.

It would be interesting to have a running scorecard of the traps the various Paul variants fall into.

I mean it probably won't kill him (again) but still, bad practice all around.
Part of being a superhero is giving people the opportunity to prove that they're not as bad as you think they might be.

Oh, it's almost certainly black, but is it the black of the Shadowlands where the Great Darkness once was, or the black of the Dead Zone where Nekron is?

Presuming that Zoat hasn't canon wielded it so that the answer is both.

The Great Darkness was the primordial darkness from before "Let there be light."

Nekron was banished from the universe when the White Light Entity emerged. In Blackest Night the White Light Entity even banished the defeated Nekron back to the darkness with "Let there be light."

Can't help but notice those are pretty much the same story, yes?

If Peldak is actually dead but her Indigo Lantern is still around, that would be sufficient for OL's purposes.

So which of the Forever People would be best suited to wielding an Indigo Lantern?

Thank you, corrected.

You know, I just looked it up, and I'm a little sad you didn't actually link to the canon Whiz Wagon of the Forever Children and Newsies on the DC wiki

If Peldak is actually dead but her Indigo Lantern is still around, that would be sufficient for OL's purposes.

So which of the Forever People would be best suited to wielding an Indigo Lantern?

Dreamer for sure, her power is literally empathy with stuff and she could use the confidence boost

Compass (part 20)
13th February 2013
21:25 GMT -5

Light dies as total textureless blackness consumes all. Every glimmer of light from the emotional spectrum vanishes as well, leaving me utterly blind. And while I'm not deaf, sound is muffled and… Distorted, echoing strangely, the walls that surrounded us moments ago failing to return anything while the sound…

There was a sound stage which I… Dimly remember being discussed on a radio program I listened to many years ago. It was deliberately designed so that anything played there would return next to no echo at all. It succeeded in its aim, but was thoroughly hated by everyone who performed there due to how cold it made everything sound. They had to add in small speakers throughout the venue to add back in the echo they excluded.

It's like that. Little sounds are being… Almost sucked away. I clap my hands together, and… Yeah, that's weird.

Ring?

Nothing.

I didn't put on my power armour, so there's no AI for me to try to communicate with.

"Is anyone there?"

I don't hear anything, but with sound acting up…

"Dark, isn't it?"

Lyssa Drak's voice. She isn't supposed to be able to use obtenebration, but perhaps there's a way to invoke it without using it yourself?

"I stopped being afraid of the dark when I was ten."

Can she actually hear me, or is she just trying to sound menacing?

Hm. Okay, well, our search for Peldak has met with an unfortunate end. Ms. Drak has neutralised the rest of us in the best way available, but… The Shadowlands are a place. She didn't appear to be carrying any weapons and is only as strong as a normal humanoid adult female.

"Oh?" Oh, she can hear me. "Then perhaps the true appearance of the Shadowlands will be more to your liking."

"Oh, I'm always up for new experiences."

"I will be interested to see if that remains true."

Then… It's not as if light has been added so much as the darkness… Retreats slightly, rolling back like an ooze, and revealing… A sort of… Washed out… Desaturated landscape of bare earth and sandstone. On top of a small rise to my right there's a small copse of apparently dead trees, their bent and wizened trunks completely bereft of leaves.

Actually, they don't-. Their branches aren't braced or bending downwards, yet gravity feels like it's normal. There's no breeze to move them or leaves to catch the air, so… I don't know. Over to my left, the ground terminates in a… Drop, and I'm not sure whether it's a cliff or the end of the land.

No Forever People, Lightray or B'dg.

I can't… See a light source, so I'm not at all sure how I'm seeing any of this. I look up-.

A-ah…

There's a… Like a… Hole, in the sky. Very faint lights flicker around the edges-. And something about it makes me… Makes me think that it could fall on me, somehow, or draw me up into it, or…

I swallow, dragging my eyes away from the otherwise black sky.

Based on what little I know about the Shadowlands, the only thing that could really be is the hole the Great Darkness crawled out through, but there's no obvious path up to it.

Okay.

I turn and walk towards the cliff-. No, not a cliff, just the end of the-

I turn left again and walk to the 'end' in that direction.

-floating island I appear to be on. I cautiously lean over the… Apparently bottomless void, and it.. looks like it goes straight down a little way and then curves inward. Obviously I can't see what happens after that-.

"Having trouble, Orange Lantern?"

Lyssa Drak is standing on a small platform above me, her now-open book in her hands. She's also peeled back her robe to reveal her comic-compliant underwear.

"Ms. Drak, what's this about?"

"The limits of the mortal mind. You appear to be taking this relatively well. Have you been here before?"

"No. But, really… Why? Why did you kill Peldak?"

She strokes the cover of her book fondly.

"Making this portal to the former resting place of the Father of Shadows required a ritual sacrifice."

Okay, no innate ability, but she managed to bypass that.

"So, what, you wanted to be a Shadow Champion, felt left out when you couldn't use the power, and were happy murdering to make it happen?"

She rolls her eyes, looking away. Not that, then.

"Is this about Sinestro?"

Her head jerks back around as her eyes widen, staring at me.

Ah. It was a long shot, but he is recruiting. Why does he want her? Something to do with fear-.

"Fear. I don't feel fear all that much any more, but looking up at that-" I glance up, and it's still just as unnerving. "-makes me decidedly uncomfortable. So… Bring people here, make them feel-. No. See how they react? You're testing-" She's recovering, looking a good deal less concerned. "-potential recruits? No."

So what else-?

"You're forging rings."

I hold up my hands, my rings dead upon them.

"How? No." I lower my arms. "No, that doesn't matter. What do you want to get out of this? I'm not keen on murder but I need to find an Indigo Lantern more than I need to have you arrested."

She pauses… I think she's trying to regain her equilibrium, but without my empathic abilities I'm forced to rely on outward signs and I'm… Not the best with those.

"You already deduced what I want: yellow power rings. Shadow Champions must confront this place and grow accustomed to it in order to use its power. Those who cannot do that are unworthy of their office, failures, cowards and caitiffs. With yellow power rings, everyone who wishes to master themselves and grow in power will have the opportunity to do so."

I nod. "Very meritocratic. I approve. And you murdered Peldak to make that happen… Why her?"

Her eyes narrow slightly. "You say that you have mastered your fears."

"More or less. Certainly, strangeness doesn't scare me any more."

"It will be interesting to see whether you remain resolute as you die of dehydration."

She closes her book and turns away, stepping from… One small platform to another as they shimmer into and out of existence. A few moments later the blackness extends over her and removes her from view entirely.

Huh.

"Richard! If you're listening, I could use a hand!"

No. That would be a bit too easy, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
13th February 2013
21:25 GMT -5

Light dies as total textureless blackness consumes all. Every glimmer of light from the emotional vanishes as well, leaving me utterly blind. And while I'm not deaf, sound is muffled and… Distorted, echoing strangely, the walls that surrounded us moments ago failing to return anything while the sound…

There was a sound stage which I… Dimly remember being discussed on a radio program I listened to many years ago. It was deliberately designed so that anything played there would return next to no echo at all. It succeeded in its aim, but was thoroughly hated by everyone who performed there due to how cold it made everything sound. They had to add in small speakers throughout the venue to add back in the echo they excluded.
'Silent' Sound stages can be built like that. And apparently it is as unnerving as OL remembers it. Imagine it: feeling no sound in your ears, except the creaks and wetness of your own skull. It sounds decidedly unhealthy.

It's like that. Little sounds are being… Almost sucked away. I clap my hands together, and… Yeah, that's weird.

Ring?
I don't think the Ring will be much use here. From what they said yesterday, its energy is effectively stilled in this absolute, overpowering dark.

Nothing.

I didn't put on my power armour, so there's no AI for me to try to communicate with.
Nothing but the sound of your own thoughts...

"Is anyone there?"

I don't hear anything, but with sound acting up…
For all he knows, after all, only he's affected by this.

"Dark, isn't it?"

Lyssa Drak's voice. She isn't supposed to be able to use obtenebration, but perhaps there's a way to invoke it without using it yourself?
Another White Wolf-produced RPG reference, eh, OL? And entirely appropriate for this.

"I stopped being afraid of the dark when I was ten."

Can she actually hear me, or is she just trying to sound menacing?
Probably has some innate ability to negate it selectively.

Hm. Okay, well, our search for Peldak has met with an unfortunate end. Ms. Drak has neutralised the rest of us in the best way available, but… The Shadowlands are a place. She didn't appear to be carrying any weapons and is only as strong as a normal humanoid adult female.

"Oh?" Oh, she can hear me. "Then perhaps the true appearance of the Shadowlands will be more to your liking."
If somewhat gloomy.

"Oh, I'm always up for new experiences."

"I will be interested to see if that remains true."
To be fair, his Enlightenment has kind of reordered all his other emotional responses a bit.

Then… It's not as if light has been added so much as the darkness… Retreats slightly, rolling back like an ooze, and revealing… A sort of… Washed out… Desaturated landscape of bare earth and sandstone. On top of a small rise to my right there's a small copse of apparently dead trees, their bent and wizened trunks completely bereft of leaves.

Actually, they don't-. Their branches aren't braces or bending downwards, yet gravity feels like it's normal. There's no breeze to move them or leaves to catch the air, so… I don't know. Over to my left, the ground terminates in a… Drop, and I'm not sure whether it's a cliff or the end of the land.
Heh. Sounds a bit like the Shadowfells of Dungeons and Dragons. The plane of Shadow and darkness...

No Forever People, Lightray or B'dg.

I can't… See a light source, so I'm not at all sure how I'm seeing any of this. I look up-.
Perhaps it's not entirely visual. More another form of perception filtering into your mind.

A-ah…

There's a… Like a… Hole, in the sky. Very faint lights flicker around the edges-. And something about it makes me… Makes me think that it could fall on me, somehow, or draw me up into it, or…
And if OL is unsettled slightly, imagine how bad other people would have it...

I swallow, dragging my eyes away from the otherwise black sky.

Based on what little I know about the Shadowlands, the only thing that could really be is the hole the Great Darkness crawled out through, but there's no obvious path up to it.
Somehow, I don't think that's a way out, OL.

Okay.

I turn and walk towards the cliff-. No, not a cliff, just the end of the-
Floating island? Seems the sort of thing to expect in a place like this.

I turn left again and walk to the 'end' in that direction.

-floating island I appear to be on. I cautiously lean over the… Apparently bottomless void, and it.. looks like it goes straight down a little way and then curves inward. Obviously I can't see what happens after that-.
Inwards like gravitational lensing? Like what you saw that time when the Reach warped space on you? Or perhaps this place is just a little bubble of solidity shaped for OL's benefit...

"Having trouble, Orange Lantern?"

Lyssa Drak is standing on a small platform above me, her now-open book in her hands. She's also peeled back her robe to reveal her comic-compliant underwear.
Ah, the 'three strips of ribbon' approach to Fantasy ladieswear. Wonder if she uses double-sided tape or spirit glue to hold them in a modest position?

"Ms. Drak, what's this about?"

"The limits of the mortal mind. You appear to be taking this relatively well. Have you been here before?"
Yeah, not gonna work too well against OL. his mind isn't exactly what you'd call normal anymore.

"No. But, really… Why? Why did you kill Peldak?"

She strokes the cover of her book fondly.
More importantly, what happened to Peldak's Ring and Staff? Did Lyssa capture them, and hand them over to someone, or are they still here somewhere?

"Making this portal to the former resting place of the Father of Shadows required a ritual sacrifice."

Okay, no innate ability, but she managed to bypass that.
Yes, by taking the direct route right into the Evil alignment categories. Probably Lawful Evil, given her canonical attachments.

"So, what, you wanted to be a Shadow Champion, felt left out when you couldn't use the power, and were happy murdering to make it happen?"

She rolls her eyes, looking away. Not that, then.
Not many options otherwise. Time for that metaknowledge, OL?

"Is this about Sinestro?"

Her head jerks back around as her eyes widen, staring at me.
There we go. She's aligned with him, then, if not already a Corpsman.

Ah. It was a long shot, but he is recruiting. Why does he want her? Something to do with fear-.

"Fear. I don't feel fear all that much any more, but looking up at that-" I glance up, and it's still just as unnerving. "-makes me decidedly uncomfortable. So… Bring people here, make them feel-. No. See how they react? You're testing-" She's recovering, looking a good deal less concerned. "-potential recruits? No."
Good reasoning. But it doesn't sound right...

So what else-?

"You're forging rings."
I suppose this would be a good source of causing Fear. But how would you gather the Light produced?

I hold up my hands, my rings dead upon them.

"How? No." I lower my arms. "No, that doesn't matter. What do you want to get out of this? I'm not keen on murder but I need to find an Indigo Lantern more than I need to have you arrested."
Seems a little short-sighted, OL. Don't let your immediate goals obscure the long-term consequences...

She pauses… I think she's trying to regain her equilibrium, but without my empathic abilities I'm forced to rely on outward signs and I'm… Not the best with those.

"You already deduced what I want: yellow power rings. Shadow Champions must confront this place and grow accustomed to it in order to use its power. Those who cannot do that are unworthy of their office, failures, cowards and caitiff. With yellow power rings, everyone who wishes to master themselves and grow in power will have the opportunity to do so."
Or die in the attempt? After all, i doubt allowing them entry to the Shadowlands isn't cheap, so to speak.

I nod. "Very meritocratic. I approve. And you murdered Peldak to make that happen… Why her?"

More that he can power through Fear through the limitless power of Want.

"More or less. Certainly, strangeness doesn't scare me any more."

"It will be interesting to see whether you remain resolute as you die of dehydration."
I doubt there's any water around, and you probably wouldn't want to drink it anyway.

She closes her book and turns away, stepping from… One small platform to another as they shimmer into and out of existence. A few moments later the blackness extends over her and removes her from view entirely.

Huh.
Well, then. She's overconfident if she's just leaving him alone here. Then again, given his lack of resources...

"Richard! If you're listening, I could use a hand!"

No. That would be a bit too easy, wouldn't it?
Would be amusing if Simon Culp heard him, though. That might even be possible.

So, looks like an obvious deathtrap scenario. Dumped into an extra-dimensional oubliette to rot away and die. Here's hoping his allies aren't in the same boat. I doubt some of them will fare quite so well in this realm. Hopefully OL can think of some fancy trick to get out of here, or he and they are in for a long, uncomfortable death.

Alarming. His rings don't work there because it's outside the regular reality. It's somewhere where the Lights literally do not reach. He keeps his enlightenment, but that's about it.
Also what a bitch, she didn't even have a real season we've seen to stick him in there, Paul hasn't announced the Sinestro Corps as being outright enemies. But I suppose someone who wants to be a 'Good' Yellow Lantern would always prize an opportunity to observe and dissect a being like Paul who is mostly insulated against his own Fears.

"You already deduced what I want: yellow power rings. Shadow Champions must confront this place and grow accustomed to it in order to use its power. Those who cannot do that are unworthy of their office, failures, cowards and caitiff. With yellow power rings, everyone who wishes to master themselves and grow in power will have the opportunity to do so."

I suspect that Peldak also said she had overcome her fears, and then failed once tested with something that could suppress her Indigo power.

So now the question is whether it'd be easier to get out of here by overcoming the suppression of his rings, or whether it'd be easier to get out the way I imagine the shadow champions get out, by acclimatizing enough to command the power of this place.
It does occur to me that Paul's tattoos might give him a slight advantage in that kind of thing, as he's likely absorbing the magic of this place into his soul.

Please for once have Paul not act like he is a 11 on the autisms spectrum and kill the bitch when he gets the chance. You push the alien mindset for this Paul way to damn far, and it's inconsistent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back