1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hell, one quick Wholeness Rightly Assumed would fix him up no problem. Pity OL can't set the program up for him, the way he's connected to the Ring right now. One more annoyance courtesy of the Gods.

Maybe later, if you're still around, you can work on transitions.

Rookies...

And probably very confused and a little concerned at the superhero.

...They did see what the Chinese team's guns did to Diabo, didn't they? As in, Fuck All?

No doubt OL has quite the catalogue of American accents since his time with the Team.

Yeah, best to be embarrassed when you tossed a grenade at the guy who took down your opponents for you...

Probably calling it in to his boss. This was quite the turnabout.

Surprised he doesn't have a Purple healing Ray in subspace or something. Though it might still be in OL's lockup rather than his personal setup. Which he might not even be aware of yet.

In other words, a nice little diplomatic play. Showing trust that the yankees can clean up, while forcing their leader to come to him...

Body armour and yukata. :p That's a combination.

Not expecting company, LT?

I suspect the Americans weren't actually invited.

And no doubt he'll have words for whoever's responsible. Polite ones if they're a superior officer, nasty ones if it's a subordinate...

Let me guess: America wanted to be all 'Team America' about it and take charge...

Well, not quite the middle of the country proper. But definitely smack bad in Metropolitan Tokyo.

Have to go smack a politician or two? Probably might help them sort shit out in a hurry...

I'm guessing the only reason they noticed him was that he wanted them to.

Especially if this whole thing wasn't officially sanctioned.

Naturally. :rolleyes: Plausible deniability.

Seems a bit risky. Turning up with an armed strike team might be taken in so many wrong ways.

And thanks to that, they nearly got him killed, if nor for his supernatural defences.

There's a term for that: Rear-Echelon Mother-Fuckers.

Yeah, someone is going to get yelled at, I bet.

No doubt the Japanese high command didn't want 'those American cowboys' interfering with their 'Glorious Imperial Victory'... :rolleyes:

Again, no doubt someone wanting to keep it in-country, I bet.

About the chance of other Gates opening, I assume...

Well, I was right, it was a fustercluck. And it's gonna be messy for whoever ordered it, I bet. No doubt some politician somewhere will quietly be stood down. Still, maybe the people who actually have to solve the problems their bosses create can sort all this out more easily. Meanwhile, I would have assumed OL would have tried to reacquire his own body by now... Must still be stuck working under the otherworld's rules...

Mr Zoat, some Corrections:
    'Soldier's' or possibly 'soldiers' ', depending on how many's eyes are going wide.
    "Yes? I believe they're your nation's allies?"
    An older sergeant nods as the lieutenant scurries after Diabo.
    ...but I suppose that a relatively junior soldier...

Double Space
    there.

The lieutenant doesn't look too happy.

2. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Two military terms come to mind here, Charlie Foxtrot and SNAFU.

3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

You proooobably shouldnt' link to stuff like that. Copyright infringement is a good way to get fried.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

7. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Yeah yeah, message recieved I've deleted it.

And now that I'm here anyways, I'm gonna ask something that's bugged me for a while.

Why choose Eris as his patron? You do know her domain is Strife ie conflict and disorder not Chaos, for someone so attentive to details it's very weird you overlooked that.

Her most famous act is literally causing a war for shits and giggles. She isn't Chaos that is change, she's disorder and conflict.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Xmaster3000 likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

I linked to a comedy sketch based on an actual campaign. In my country you can use a certain percentage of any printed work without it being a copyright issue, and a single page is well below that.
    I believe this was covered in the story. The SI's position RE Troy is that all Eris did it put an apple in a room. It was everyone else acting like prideful belligerent idiots that caused the war.

The SI is perfectly aware that he's going to be involved in and cause a great deal of strife. There wasn't any point in pretending otherwise.

9. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

"The Ginza Gate was an inside job!"

10. Threadmarks: Compass (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    21:06 GMT -5

B'dg and I approach the kiosk. I'm smiling brightly, but apparently B'dg feels that professional detachment is a better mien.

"Hello sirs, and welcome to Talok IV." The mature woman manning the desk has the usual blue skin of her species, but her hair is streaked with grey rather than being the matte black of her younger counterparts. She blinks after completing her first line of her spiel, her eyes focusing on the lantern sigils on our chests. "Oh-h. Do you-? Do you want to talk to the Interior Ministry?"

"No." / "Yes."

She looks from me to him and back again. "Um…"

"He does, because the Green Lantern Corps has a cooperation agreement with your government. I don't, because I'm just a nosy parker."

"This is a tourist information kiosk, sir." Her eyes move to B'dg. "Would you like the Interior Ministry to send a car, or would you like to speak with them in a private booth?"

"Booth, thanks. If I need to talk to someone in person I'll just fly there."

She points to the right. "Just through there, sir, the privacy shield will engage once you're inside."

"Thanks." B'dg flies off, and the sound cuts out a moment later.

"What would you like to know, Orange Lantern?"

"Okay, so, I'm looking for someone I'm pretty sure came to this planet sometime in the last year." I generate a construct image of Peldak. "She also had a power ring."

"While we don’t habitually track our visitors, I can help you navigate our public information systems. Unless visitors set a 'no monitoring' order, that's usually enough to work out approximately where they are."

"I love visiting other planets sometimes. It's like being at home a couple of decades in the future."

She looks like she doesn't quite know how to take that.

"Fine. Please do a perfectly legal search. Her name's Peldak."

She begins pressing buttons.

I could… Bypass the whole thing, obviously. Ring-hack their computer systems and access all of their logs. But Talok isn't on fire, and since Peldak doesn't seem like the sort to register her flight plans, finding out where she's gone if she's not still here will rely on Dreamer. And Talok is in a Sector with two mid-tier Green Lanterns, is civilised, prosperous, on good terms with its neighbours and… Generally, it's the sort of place I wouldn't mind Earth having as a neighbour, or turning into. Heck, they even have a culture of superheroes, and that's really rare in the galaxy.

Sure, they've all got the same power, but the principle is the same. And that cultural background is probably why this woman is being so accommodating. The only bad thing about it is its proximity to some Dominion tributaries, which is how Ms. Mallor came a cropper, and that's hardly their fault.

"I'm not seeing a 'Peldak'. Is your image life size?"

"Yes. Ah, hang on." I generate Peldak's name in local standard phonics. "Try that? Or Indigo Lantern?"

"I don't think that she came through a port access portal."

"No, she'd probably just have flown down."

"We do discourage that."

"Her species usually faint if anything happens anywhere near them. She's let the fact that she doesn't do that any more go to her head."

"Ah… No, nothing-. Oh."

"Oh?"

"I was looking for 'indigo', and I found several mentions of a shower of indigo lights over one of the Shadow Champion hermitages about half a year ago." She presses a button to call up an image. It's the right shade of indigo, certainly. "We discourage that sort of thing as well, but the police investigation didn't turn up anything and the Champions didn't think it was worth worrying about."

"I know what a Shadow Champion is, but I don't know what the significance of the hermitages is."

"They're the sacred sites where they go to meditate on the power of the Father of Shadows to activate their own. Disturbing them is very illegal. Have you met a Shadow Champion before?"

"Yes, and there's a man on my homeworld with the same sort of ability."

"Which one did you meet?"

"Lyrissa Mallor."

"Ah. Yes, she gave herself to the Dominion to save an entire world. A noble sacrifice in the finest-."

I frown. "You do know she's still alive, right?" She looks surprised. "The Dominion were keeping her at a prison I liberated. I sort of assumed that she'd have got back in touch with her homeworld by now. Has she..? Not?"

"I… If she has then it's not been publically announced. It… Might cause trouble with the Dominion if they… If they saw her."

"Normally I'd say 'to heck with them', but I've got quite a lot of war on my plate already. I'll have a word with her. Who do I need to talk to about visiting the hermitage?"

"By visiting-. You can't go inside the hermitage; that would contradict it's-"

"Of course."

"-entire purpose. If you want to visit the site, then the person to talk to is Lyssa Drak."

This is presumably before she met-. Before she joined the Sinestro Corps.

I don't remember the comics really… Covering her back story. I mean, she must have done something with her time before becoming the Sinestro Corps' personnel officer on Qward. And she definitely hasn't visited Qward in this timeline.

Honestly, I hadn't even realised that she was from here. I thought that she was just some blue woman Sinestro picked up somewhere.

"Okay, great. Can you make me an appointment, or do I need to talk to someone else?"

"I can request an appointment."

"Please do. I'd like to bring a few friends along, but we can make it just Lantern B'dg and I if she prefers."

"I will send a message now. I-." B'dg flies back in, looking unhappy. "Is something wrong, Green Lantern?"

"The Guardians aren't happy about this."

"How unhappy?"

"The entire Corps is getting put on alert to find these people."

"Makes my life easier."

"They want the whole thing shut down. It was her using the green light that pushed them over."

I shrug. "As long as they wait until the Anti-Life is gone, that's fine with me."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'The Dominion"

12. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I'm surprised at how ok he is with the Indigo Tribe being shut down (even with the caveat of waiting until after Earth has been purged)
    Especially as he has mentioned Apokolips as a target multiple times. A full spectrum of Lanterns would be the best thing. Good luck at getting more Indigo Rings if the Guardians shut it down and lock down the ingredients used to make them.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Those should say 'if' and 'anymore'.

Is it too much to hope that Paul can somehow avert her becoming a member of the Sinestro Corps? I wouldn't mind it if she didn't join the OLC, but maybe Paul can help her in another way. Also, that should say 'realised'.

I foresee the bobbleheads having heated debates about outright destroying the Indigo Lantern Corps the way they destroyed the Anti-Green Lantern Corps.

It's possible Paul assumes that even if the Guardians try to wipe out the entire Indigo Lantern Corps, some members will survive and go into hiding. Indigo is the best color to use at remaining hidden.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  14. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

He doesn't think they'll succeed at anything except pissing off the tribe, and possibly aggravating the other nascent corps.

15. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't think he believes they can do it, and I don't believe it either. Certainly they've got the man power and force to do it, but the Indigo Lanterns are essentially the space stealth faction. The Greenies would have continued right on not knowing they even existed if Paul didn't have cheating metaknowledge.

The Guardians and the Greens will have a hell of a time enforcing their edict when they can't even find their targets.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the joy of dealing with civilised space-faring species who know what you are. Having glowing sigils floating around you opens so many doors. Bonus points for her professional demeanour in the face of two space cops. (Yes, I know OL isn't a police officer, but would she know that?).

Don't worry, ma'am. That's not an uncommon reaction around OL.

I'm guessing she heard the rough translation of the 'nosy parker' concept and filed him under 'powered vigilante'.

Handy. I guess tourists will always want to call home without spending their own Roaming minutes. :D

Nice of her to guess about his title. After all, he's like a Green Lantern, but orange. :V

Though there's probably considerable paperwork involved in getting that 'no monitoring' request. After all, just asking would raise some suspicions.

Heh. The joy of slowly bootstrapping Earth into a science-fiction magitech information-era paradise. Even if humanity isn't quite comfortable with it yet.

Kind of cocky to assume she entered their borders legally. Still, worth checking.

...Reminds me of the Asari from Mass Effect - Their Justicars probably qualify as superheroes. Scary ones with unrestricted lethality, but still... Can you tell I've been playing the series? :p

Still, just having the same power doesn't mean some have more of it than others.

Yeah, like I suggested. Kind of hard to stop a Lantern just plunging down from space if they don't feel like putting up with red tape.

Heh. The joy of a sufficiently advanced culture.

In other words, she'd still be riding something of a power high. Not uncommon for the newly empowered.

So, they're down to just six months behind. Better than before.

I bet they're places where the material world is worn a little thin relative to the local branch of the Shadowlands.

Still surprised he hasn't looked deeper into the Shade. But I suppose there needs to be some points of difference between Paragon and Renegade.

A quick reminder: Lyrissa Mallor. And her previous appearance here (in Part 1 of 'Authority'.)

Yeah, I could see that happening, to avoid a diplomatic incident.

Another thing for the 'to-do' list, eh?

Ooh, there's a worrying name. But fortunately...

...Perhaps OL can prevent a future tragedy.

To be fair, OL, there are plenty of exotic skin colours in comics. By comparison, humans' pink, yellowish beige and reddish-brown colours seem boring.:p

Interesting. Surprisingly wide range of services for a tourist kiosk. :p

Ah. Looks like bad news from Command.

On a scale of 1 to 'Unleash the Third Army'?

Well, that won't trigger an early War of Light, I bet.

And given the capabilities for stealth, I don't fancy their chances.

Well, I foresee that little announcement to make OL's job of convincing an Indigo tribesman to help just a bit harder, if they find out it was because of him. Still, at least they've narrowed down the last place Peldak was seen around here. That'll save some time, and hopefully let them narrow the lead she's got. The hunt goes on!

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I just noticed that your folder for December 2011 chapters includes chapters for November of 2011 as well, so the TOC needs to be edited.

18. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Ah. Lyssa. Another shining example of what female fashion among supervillainesses is like. Not a criticism. Rather, it's a joyous reminder.

I wonder how many people take up villainy just to have an excuse to enter that social circle and eat the eye candy?

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

One of those names is wrong.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  22. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I like to imagine the Guardians were huddled around a monitor, waiting for Bd'g to leave Paul's presence to make their call. They like how stubborn their lanterns are, and they need to lay down a plan without Paul asking dangerous questions or subverting them.

23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Indigos are very good at teleporting, and those staves of theirs? Those are their power batteries.

So even if the Greenies were as good at teleporting as the Indigos are, which they are not, the Indigos can keep teleporting without worrying about running out of ring charge.

24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

This made me suspicious, so I decided to check the proper spelling of his name and skim through his appearances. Mostly it was correct, but not always. Hopefully I didn’t miss any, because I’m not going to double-check.
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ’B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’
    ‘B’dg’

25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

They can teleport anywhere at-will. I don't think the bobbleheads will succeed without active cooperation.

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Duke Long and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ok I have to honest, This is bad.

I don't just mean morally and logically, I mean writing quality.
    Which has taken a dive recently, like you are half ass it while slightly tipsy or whatever the Brits do.

I thought OL was supposed to be a rational actor, who both wanted the universe to work a certain way, and was all about "what can I do for you? What can I give you that you want that is also something that I want?"

Have the Indigo Lantern Core done something to offend him, does he have some outside context knowledge that they are bad guys doing bad things, and the universe is better off without them? And more importantly, that they are bigger fuckups than the Guardians of the Universe? Because he does have lots of Outside Context info about their various cockups, both in the past (Sector 666), but also potential problems in the future (The whole Alpha Lanterns thing).

Here you have what appears to be a Penitent Corps of Righteous Do-Gooders going about Going Good while also paying special attention to those with psychological issues in a way other than punching them into the local prison. This seems like something OL should approve of and want to happen because it progresses the universe in the direction he wants.

Also, the Indigo Corps it trying to keep a low profile, and OL wants their help here. So OL is bringing them to the attention of opponents who want to end them as an organization and shut down their light use. Which OL is fine with and doesn't plan on stopping. You do realize that is something that would be INCREDIBLY DAMAGING TO HIS REPUTATION AND HINDER HIS ABILITY TO RECRUIT HELP FROM OTHERS IN THE FUTURE? Because it makes associating with him an active danger, and makes him seem villainous and treacherous.

It also presents the problem that Anti-Life is an ongoing problem, and this actively fucks with the possibility of using White Light against it the next time it becomes a problem. It is the equivalent of taking a long term strategic option, and turning it into a consumable. Even if OL is fine fucking over everyone else's ability to use White Light against their Anti-Life problems because he doesn't care about him, he has no guarantee the next Anti-Life issue won't also be a 'something he cares about' issue.

OL: Oh look another horrible incidence of Anti-Life, better gather the colors!
    Guardians: Good luck with that. We disbanded the Indigo Corps for existing without our permission. You know, like we would do with you and your OLC if we thought we could get away with it. But thanks for being the unionist that did not speak out for the socialists.

Which also seaways into the issue of why OL thinks whether the Guardians approval should matter here, and why they should be pandered to. If their feeling actually matter, he should have turned the ring over to them at the beginning and become a banker instead of using it to secure his own safely. I thought he held more than a little contempt for them. This feels a lot like:

Lex Luthor: I don't really approve of how Superman approaches the solution to crime. I'll need to depower him.
    OL: Well I'm using him for something right now, but once I'm done, why should I care?
    ...like yeah, he wanted to turn Lex and make his a force for good, and can even agree about Superman being suboptimal. But this is still fucked up.

So Zoat, could you maybe take a break for a day or two? Skip a few updates to plot the plot a bit better, and also maybe explain what the hell you were thinking when you do stuff like this?

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Guardians decision to oppose the Indigo Corps is something that's only been covered in a few sentences.

An author can sometimes have their character say something without an indication that they're opposed to what they're saying, but in the next chapter the character will say that they're opposed to the idea.

Paul may not have said anything against it because as it was mentioned the GLC will be looking for them and that makes his search easier, so if he says that he's against it he loses his new means of locating them.

29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Bramble, the GLC has a snowballs chance in hell of destroying the Indigos, who not only are masters of teleportation but who operated for years right under the Guardians' noses.

So why are you expecting Paul to get emotionally invested in the Guardians wasting time on something that has zip zilch nada chance of actually happening?

How is it bad writing for Paul not to be worried about something that is never gonna happen?

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

matte

Missing full stop.