1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That only works if you're the Grand Vizer.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

build -> built
    please -> pleased
    flare -> flares
    Just stab him already, damnit!!

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well this explains how Ahri'ahn was able to do this.

As a Lord of Order, Nabu would know a lot of tricks about magic.

Ehh, there may be some grief.

Remember that Nabu was basically enslaved in a very extreme manner and then killed.

If that doesn't mess you up then I don't know what will.

Cuchulin, WereDragon and Ngamer11 like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not want to.

True, as a Lord he'd probably be more powerful, but that may put him on greater risk if the Sword is used.

I don't know if it can affect relatively mortal magic users since so far we've only seen it used on beings practically made of magic, and people that are more or less godlike.

He may have honestly let this happen.

Remember that Nabu essentially protected the planet for millenia, so he may have also dealt with the Dreaming.

It's likely that Drewam may owe him.

When Paul and friends found his Cillian body, or at least the body of a Cillian host, Paul thought that it looked humanoid.

Unless he expected this.

I'm thinking that Ahri'ahn started researching the Renegade and discover the Swird and what it can do, and managed to track down the reincarnated Nabu, helping him in exchange for his expertise.

Or Nabu found out about Abberance and was able to make contact.

I'm kinda reminded of that scene from the Venture Bros where Underbite asks Limb and Impossible if he can join them in the Revenge Society.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Bud-E and 2 others like this.
  5. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I suppose my memory is bad, because I could’ve sworn that Renegade assimilated Nabu, rather than swording him. Oh, he sworded him after assimilation, right? I’m surprised that his soul was intact enough for reincarnation.

I’m a little surprised that Ahri’ahn is working with Nabu. I thought he was supposed to be very racist, so I wouldn’t have expected him to work with a non-Atlantean human/alien. But then, looking at his wiki page, it seems like he’s affiliated with the Lords of Order, though I don’t think it’s ever come up in this story before.

I wonder if the inhuman Atlanteans are just dead, or if they have been transmuted into purebloods.

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  6. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Why would you use the guaranteed-resurrection sword rather than any other weapon?

broken tag.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because it's the most powerful mystical weapon that he has and he's facing a very powerful magician.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"creates structures"

Ohh, this is interesting.

Maybe Ahri'ahn is planning on letting the Renegade kill Nabu.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Ngamer11 like this.
  9. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I believe, because it bypasses any and all defences and guarantees removal and suppression, even if temporarily, of the target. Doesn't matter if Nabu has a shield, armor, regeneration, failsafe or back up of any kind, magical or otherwise, that they don't know about; a hit from the Sword of the Fallen will kill and depower him.

Unfortunately he also will resurrect at some point, somewhere. But to remove him from the equation right now, guaranteed, Sword of the Fallen is a great option.

The problem is that Grayven sometimes forgets to drop that Idiot Ball he picked somewhere and doesn't remember to search for enemies he hits with that sword. Or maybe he did and couldn't find him?

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think Ahri'ahn would definitely notice that.

moralrelativity and mastermenthe like this.
  11. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"That is unlikely. I am here in the dream role of court magician. There is no story here that will allow you to best me in a contest of magics."
    "I am Nightmare Moon. You are no court magician, it is your first day of school and you forgot your pants."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Has Grayven forgotten one of the key lessons of the evil overlord list, to not brag until the job is done? I know that bragging is necessary when using Godspeech but he isn't here. A bad habit that Sinestro should have beaten out of him by now?

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  14. boo600

boo600 Welp

"Unfortunately?" The sword is a perfect non-lethal suppression option! Great for law enforcement-

Oh, right. Renegade. He kills people, and he doesn't know where Nabu will reincarnate.

Still, it allows him to bypass story lunacy like Plot Armor. Just kill him, and he'll come back later! There's no reason for the writers to try and stop you from swording him in the face!

I think he wants to interrogate him, but yeah, he's really leaning into that New God Chuuni.

Rebu, Vorian, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sinestro seems like the type of guy that would get caught up bragging himself.

Vorian likes this.
  16. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

I just realized, does Grayven even have construct lanterns anymore? With the Sword of the Fallen, does he mercy kill them like he did Sportsmaster, Bane, and Nabu after he's gotten all useful info out of them? Cause I've never seen him use Savage, al Ghul, Brain, Klarion, Estroginia, or Von Daggle after assimilating them.

Actually, since Nabu was reincarnated, does that mean Bane and Sportsmaster are running around somewhere? Or did Nabu only come back because he was already a powerful being prior to being slain?

Lord Ernest likes this.
  17. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Her expression

charged with

18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Dream magic and Godspeech run on similar principles. Dreams are powered by narrative, so he has to make it clear to the dream why it's going to work his way and not the other way.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think he keeps them around for their knowledge, possibly with the exception of Estrogina.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  20. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

But slavery is very orderly.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  21. boo600

boo600 Welp

He assimilated Klarion after freeing the others - and without any remorse. I doubt he let him go - and he may still have Savage and Ra’s.

22. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

14th February 2013
    17:43 GMT -2

He freezes, though I note that it's not because he's afraid. He's merely recognised the danger and is frantically trying to work out how to handle it. I assume. I can't see his face from here.

"To refresh your memory, after you tried to possess Giovanni Zatara, I turned you into a construct and left you in place as his-."

"Slave. Yes. I remember."

"Advisor and power source. But as you went increasingly peculiar, I was eventually persuaded to stab you-" I tap the flat surface of the Sword of the Fallen against his breastbone. "-with this, destroying your construct-self and causing you to pop back into fleshy existence as you are now. I imagine that was a blast from the past."

"Do you expect me to thank you?"

"Nabu, you thanking me would be the one thing you could do to convince me that I was in the wrong. How's being alive treating you?"

"What do you want?"

"You can start by dropping the barriers trapping Luna."

"She could remove them herself; she has the strength."

I narrow my eyes slightly. "Yeah, but that sort of thing is easier for third parties to detect."

"You have learned. Or did you take that knowledge from me?"

"I wouldn't want you in my head. Still have enough trouble remembering parts of Vandal Savage's life. No, I've learned, and-. Oh. Did you know that I'm from Apokolips? Or was that after you were reduced to being a construct?"

"I was informed by Ahri'ahn."

"So, shield coming down, or I start altering your attitude with my ring."

There's a momentary delay, then the barriers turn from solid planes to golden mist before vanishing entirely.

Luna walks forward. "Nabu of Cilia, this evil enchantment will not stand. You may aid us as we undo Ahri'ahn and all his works, or you may stand against us and be cast down."

"I am devoted to Order. There is no torture you can inflict that will sway me from my path."

I nod. "I can respect that. Another question, then. When I stabbed Klarion with this-" I tap him again. "-thing, he came back without any particular magical ability. Now, I suspect that it left him with his knowledge but put him back to square one as far as power acquisition was concerned."

"A reasonable deduction."

"But why couldn't he just build himself up from scratch? He did it once after all. Now… Maybe, it takes time. Or he just didn't have the patience any longer. You'd have patience, wouldn't you?"

"I am as patient as stone."

"Mm, except, you see, you're… Not. Decades of Klarion not wrecking the world while Nelson left you on the shelf, and the moment you get a body again you act like your ability to counteract him is suddenly super important. You chose to become a helmet rather than do as nature intended and die. You never really trained up a successor; Kent gaining knowledge of magic was a side effect of you possessing him periodically, not something you actually worked at. So either you're astonishingly arrogant and actually believe that you are irreplaceable… Or you're simply rather fond of existing. Being alive in the world. Or both."

"But would you make a deal with Ahri'ahn to make the world more orderly? Maybe. Except I can't see him making the world more orderly. He strikes me as the sort to create a people of god-wizards who do whatever they like. No. I think that Klarion didn't get his magic back because he couldn't. And I think you made a deal with Ahri'ahn because a dream-warped world is the only place where you could regain yours."

"Then kill me. Again."

"No reincarnation this time, Nabu. Just you and the default afterlife. Maybe they'll put you and Klarion next to each other."

Navy blue mist swirls around Luna's hands. "Grayven. We have spent time enough on this miscreant."

The mist flows over Nabu's arms and neck. I release my hold and step back as it solidifies into a set of magic suppression chains.

"Honeybun, you know that thing we did-" She glances at me in alarm. "-where we used my honesty to conjure a connection to the Element?"

"You wonder if we could repeat the process here and compel him to speak truthfully." She stares at Nabu as she thinks it over. "That was a moment of revelation on your part. Is there some truth of equal magnitude that you are concealing?"

"Um. Having thought about it, I'm actually a little grateful to Nabu to give me the impetus to start defying the Justice League?"

Nothing.

"Perhaps why hearing his confession matters so much to you."

Hm. How to put my thoughts into words?

Honesty. It's not just about friendship. At a basic level honesty is required for any sort of social interaction to function properly. A merchant has to be honest about the quality of their goods for potential buyers to make a decision. But it's often in their short term interest to lie, or shade the truth so much that they may as well be lying. In a democracy, the citizenry need accurate information about the alternatives they are choosing between for the system to work, but those involved know that lies are much more effective in the short term. They get themselves into office at the cost of the faith of the people in the system and the respect they once had for the office. Honesty is giving true faith to civilisation over the cost of temporary embarrassment or discomfort.
    Builder Of Civilisation.
    "If Nabu genuinely believed that he was essential, then he needs a dose of honest self-reflection. If he didn't, then he's a hypocrite who sustained himself at a great cost to others. And either way, I want him to confront that, because my life becomes a lot simpler if I can just kill him and I need a better reason not to than I have at the moment."

"And I must hear this lecture from one who will not even use his own name? Who lies with every sight and breath?"

"Oh, sure. Just kill Darkseid for me and I'll tell everyone everything. I'd much rather do that, actually, because this whole New God thing comes with instincts that I didn't have before and they're telling me that I'm doing the wrong thing. Besides, this me is Grayven with 'my' virtues shot into him after absorbing 'my' soul, so I'm the only Grayven around."
    Honesty Exultant!
    "Perhaps this will aid Us." Luna holds up… The Lasso of Truth? I frown at her, because I can't see Diana handing that off. It's a sacred trust. "Neigh, it is not the real thing, but that has existed long enough to gain a substance in the realm of dream. We wove the strands of your truth and called this into being."

"Hit him."

"Perhaps we should ask about Ahri'ahn instead?"

Oh. Right. "Okay, but can we at least ask about his magic? I'm probably going to stab Ahri'ahn with it before too long and I want to know if it'll stick. So how about it, Nabu? Are you prepared to face yourself?"

"Are you?"

"Have you not been paying attention? Yes. Luna." I lower my left arm, grabbing Nabu's left forearm and holding it out. "Loop that around both of us."

"That seems unwise, given our mission."

"No good, dear heart. Nabu here has challenged me to a god-off. If I step back I lose power. But when I win, he won't be able to refute anything any longer. Ahri'ahn will keep. Vindication won't."

She doesn't look convinced. But she drops the noose around us both anyway.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So we finally have a direct statement.

This isn't actually Paul.

24. Cool10007

Cool10007 Hack

...I always forget how funny Graven is when put in the right situation. Bravo!

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, I'm sure he remembers quite well, Renegade. I doubt the process of assimilation was painless for him, after all. I assume his little recap is in aid of the Narrative of the moment, hmm?

Given the last time he was flesh and bone in his own body would likely have been around the same time Atlantis sank, I bet it was.

And it would take such a major realignment of Nabu's personality, I doubt he'd believe it.

Only good manners, after all.

And would thus be a clear beacon to Ahri'ahn that 'something's happening'.

I'm sure a Lord of Order would know of the ultimate evil planet. Whether they'd object to its malign orderliness, that's a question and a half.

Which will probably hurt a lot more than simply being stabbed, I suspect.

Lady has a way with words, given she basically told him 'start shit, get hit'. :p

Basically draining the tank, if you will, in order to instantly remake them elsewhere.

And yet you joined with the idiot in this lunatic plan, which has made lots of chaotic impacts on the world...

Yeah, I'd say both 'wanting to be needed' and 'afraid of ceasing to be' is a safe bet.

Oh, no. Terrible idea. It'd just leave you in the wind to pull something like this again.

In other words, shank him and leave. Won't stop the spell, but might prevent Ahri'ahn from expanding just yet.

Bit of a stretch to hope it would work here. But given that she just whistled up those chains from nothing...

It's not like he can reveal any of the big truths he's hiding in unsafe company.

Gee, how surprising. :rolleyes:

Oh come on, you know you're loving the chance to soliloquise.

And sadly, lying is more convenient, as you pointed out. It's basically playing the game in easy mode.

And to be blunt, he's certainly not showing himself to be all that useful to anyone.

Huh. Interesting that he's coming out and declaring it that openly. Still, possession is nine-tenths of the law, and all that.

Oh, she is just a peach. Marvellous talent.

Remember, Renegade, you are on a mission here. Intelligence gathering and reconnaissance...

Yeah, okay, that would be a good idea. Last thing you want is another grumpy former arch-mage skulking around.

Especially as you don't know how the truth-compelling magic will interact with the local dreamy reality.

Feels a bit of a bullshit moment, but I believe it.

So, this has some potential to backfire, doesn't it? What if Nabu accepts what he is, and still refuses to change? What if this causes the veneer of the Renegade's mind to crumble away from Grayven proper? What if this causes the local area to turn into an extended flashback sequence? The joy of all this happening within a magical illusionary dream thing...

26. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I mean, he still can't say or think the word Paul. So something of him is still in there.

27. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm betting Nabu is filled with arrogance and he truly believes he's necessary to order in the universe.

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

you're -> your
    sort -> short
    Missing opening quotation mark? Or maybe should not have one on the end?
    Seems incomplete...

29. Zelred

Zelred Getting sticky.

It still says "creatures structure". It should be creates, not creatures.

30. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

No, slave is the more accurate term. It doesn’t quite encompass the sheer horror and violation involved in turning someone into a construct but it is the closest that English has so far.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.