1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

"Even if I didn't already have a healthy romance, which I do, Mousillon neighbors Lyonesse."

"I suppose they'd monopolize any potential for a political match, wouldn’t they?"

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Good to see he's actually settled on a local name. One different enough from his own to use it freely, but similar enough that he'll answer to it without thinking about it. So, then, back to the Warhammer universe (Circa 4th edition or so, right?)

Ah, Karl. One of the most iconic emperors of the Empire. Or more accurately, the only one to actually get rules proper on the battlefield.

Got to love a ruler as disinterested in the pageantry of rulership as you are, eh? But appearances must be maintained...

Pretty trusting. But then, Paolo's proven his trustworthiness, hasn't he?

Ah... Hooray, footmen.

Oh, I doubt there's anything set up like this yet.

I hope they at least learned to wear clothes that cover... Whatever the Humans feel embarrassed about.

Especially when those Gods can send down angry Daemons to chastise you directly.

In other words, you know well enough when to let people get on with what they're doing without micro-managing them.

It serves to dazzle the nobles, I suppose. But for intelligent men...

...It's naught but background noise.

Let me guess: When your workers don't need to rest or eat, you can do some impressive things.

And hopefully the threat of her chastisement can keep them from getting 'distracted'.

Ah, Wood Elves. I suppose as long as it doesn't disrupt their forest, they're cool with it. :confused: ...Never mind, I forgot about the Ulthuan angle. Still, it's not like they have any less 'Stay off mah lawn!' energy than their arboreal cousins.

Especially nosy people with pointed ears.

...Oh, right. That was a thing Paolo assisted with.

Ah, Sartosa, the Warhammer World's equivalent to Sicily. Home of pirates, mercenaries, privateers and more pirates.

Well, a show of force in true Orange Lantern tradition would probably be quite effective... For a year or two.

Yes, the less rearranging of the 'landscape', the better in that respect.

Estalia, equivalent of the Iberian Peninsula. And about as wild a land as the rest.

Skavenblight. Yes, that'll be liking sticking your dick in an anthill. Only more painful. And if the Council of Thirteen get wind of your plans... I expect assassins will become a regular sight in your life.

Tricky situation, isn't it?

Boy, just name-dropping all the famous folk of the era, eh? :p But you are talking to the ruler of the largest human nation in the west.

And such is the state of the world that that's necessary.

Joy. This is something that'll come out of the blue to Paolo, won't it?

He's come a long way on such a short time, hasn't he? Hobnobbing with Emperors and Archmages. Planning a transcontinental canal system. And all manner of shenanigans off-screen, no doubt. And now Karl's feeling out the possibility of a political marriage to some royal cousin, eh? Such is the life of a driven man in a mad world. Especially when that man has the power to change things.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

After double checking, I found that he was previously called Paol. Is he called both, or is this a mistake?

4. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Lmao, get wedded, idiot.

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

To someone not named Lucrezzia.

6. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Didn't he propose to Queen Khalida? Or am I remembering that wrong.

Ardy, Lord Ernest and moralrelativity like this.
  7. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

He asked if she was able to marry - due to her various oaths and positions. Then just left it there, without an answer from her, or really explaining why he was asking.

Either he was enquiring on behalf of someone else, or her answer was no.

8. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Ah, easy mode Paul.

Honestly surprised he hasn’t finished ‘I Win’ buttoning the physical threats on that world yet. The pirates might have been beneath his notice but turning Skavenblight into a crater seems like it should have been more of a priority. And it isn’t like anything they have is a threat or even a meaningful obstacle to him.

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘straight-backed’?
    ‘rueful smile’?
    ’if I’m successful’

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, High Elves. They aren't any less violent, they just hug slightly fewer trees.
    They'd try, but it's a bit of a treck. The under-empire doesn't extend that far, it's hard keeping the water out of the tunnels and skaven are terrible sailors.
    That's why the Herald wasn't sure. They've recently had Tileans in the palace to talk about road-building and they use the Tilean form of his name: Paolo. Paol is the Bretonnian form and he's clearly not Bretonnian, so...
    They have an understanding, but nothing's going to get formalised until some of his more extreme pledges have been fulfilled. Since that could be more than a human lifetime away, she wouldn't be all that bothered.
    Thank you, corrected.

11. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Aw, the Skaven are my favorites. Not great neighbors, admittedly. Trying to wipe them out will really undercut that "not pissing off any more gods" plan, though. The Great Horned Rat might not be quite on par with the four main Chaos gods, but he's still no slouch.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

The other Chaos Gods think that the Horned Rat sucks. Archaon turned down his blessing. The Great Hornd Rat ate the entire skaven species.

13. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

A thought that might become relevant, both for Paul (Paol/Paolo?), should he indeed be getting hitched soon, as the Emperor seems to wish, and for all the newly fertile elves: how exactly does a hereditary monarchy work if one or several of their members are clinically immortal? I understand the utility of having someone to fill daddy‘s seat in case he accidentally does snuff it at some point, but what happens if the heir apparent grows up and gets ready to inherit and then… doesnt? Especially if, as might hypothetically be the case if Paul (Paol/Paolo?) is persuaded to take on one of the Empire‘s noble ladies, who, as a rule, do not share his longevity (I think. Could be wrong, I’m not so familiar with Warhammer to profess one hundred percent certainty on the matter.), the resulting offspring can expect to never succeed their progenitor during their lifetime. And I‘m assuming that propriety and coultural inertia would demand such an offspring to be produced, regardless of its necessity.

Because the only ways I can think of to still maintain the trappings of such a system in that case would be to either divide and sub-divide the inheritance in question, halving each resulting holding again and again for each new generation until the lands are a patchwork of tiny micro-fiefdoms, or to be ever expansionist, conquering ever new land to ensure there is some to inherit. Both seem to be hold similar long term non-viability.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  14. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

didn't OL leave some gateways to Hades on other worlds, so alien cultures can give their dead an afterlife? why can't OL just teleport to one of those to enter Hades and get Melinoe?

Odysseus2099 likes this.
  15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

They aren't gates for mortals, they are for spirits. Far fewer safety precautions. I think they look more like temples or monuments, depending on the local culture, not literal arches.

16. Mr Zoat

That actually caused a major problem when the dead kings and queens of Nehekhara were woken up, until Setra woke up and told them all to keep the noise down.

The position of Emperor is elected, and the current Emperor can be removed from office by a majority vote. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Civil war works, too.

A grand total of one Phoenix King has died peacefully in his bed.

17. MasterMeowMeow

MasterMeowMeow Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

That moment when you and your friends find an even BIGGER loser you can collectively shit on.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  18. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

They got better.

Cuchulin and FeepingCreature like this.
  19. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

My favorite alt-Paul coming back at the time the Team become major characters again? Hell yes!

Cuchulin and boo600 like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You mean other then stuff like the Warpstone Tractor Beam that could utterly annihilate him even in orbit.

And by not far he means thousands of miles.

[​IMG]

Actually it's super easy to keep water out of tunnels, barely an inconvenience really.

That's because tunnel systems aren't just downward passages but instead snaking winding things that create their own pressure zones.

boo600, Cuchulin and Ciber like this.
  21. boo600

boo600 Welp

Pitch Meeting!

Huh. Good taste.

Vaermina likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: War Mastered (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

3rd Sigmarzeit 2512
    Early Morning

"Yes, I… Mostly try to keep busy so that I don't think about them."

But he's not talking about my family back on Earth. My eyes light up as I look around, staring through the walls and looking for-.

Ah.

"My sister had just gotten married. My father was approaching retirement… He taught biology in college, and-" I smile faintly "-you can get some pretty odd fixations growing up with a biology teacher for a father."

"I thought that the air smelled a little less pungent around you. I take it you were lectured extensively on the danger of bad airs?"

It's been a while since I read Genevieve Undead, but I seem to remember Karl-Franz's heir being his son. I don't specifically remember whether it was mentioned that Karl-Franz was married or not. Turns out that he isn't, but he's in a long term relationship with a woman with whom he's had two illegitimate children. I don't really know what's going on there. I mean, she lives in the palace, no one's going to take the idea that he's still on the marriage market seriously. His actual heir is his sister Isabella's son, Wolfgang Holswig-Abenauer.

Of course, he's hardly her only child.

"Really, the smell is more of a side-effect of the actual source of danger than a threat to health itself. I've hired a team of dwarf engineers to try and build a sewage system in my village, but it's actually quite hard that close to the sea."

Karl-Franz nods. "Townsmen here pay night soil collectors." He chuckles. "When they don't just chuck their chamber pots into the streets."

I wince.

"You have something better in your homeland?"

"After the late Queen Victoria's husband died of typhoid fever, she sponsored some major efforts in improving sanitation across the country. The dwarfs know far more about building underground tunnels than me, but they actually hadn't considered the U-bend or the flush. Please; once my village is finished, come and have a look at it. I'm trying to turn it into a model that other places can replicate, and… If you like it, I'd be happy to re-plumb this whole palace for you."

"Hah! That's the strangest bribe anyone's ever offered me. I see what you mean about your father. But… Your parents. Did they have a marriage arranged for you? I assume that your sister is your senior."

"No, two years younger. And no, we don't really do it like that. I mean, we used to, but these days even amongst the peerage, young people are mostly left to organise things themselves."

"And had you?"

The distraction didn't work. Not surprising given that his niece is in the next room. No idea why he's trying to match her with.. me.

"No. Which turns out to have been a sound judgement, given that I'm here. I hate to think that I could have been forced to abandon a wife or children."

One of the things that I keep missing is the low speed of information transfer on this planet. I see newspapers and I assume that I'm on a world that has the telegraph at least. But it's not. He doesn't know that I have a lover, or that I'm… I've got some sort of understanding with Queen Khalida. Why would he? I haven't told anyone in Altdorf, or spent significant time with either anywhere where someone reporting to him could spy on them. He only knows about the beastwomen because I had to get him to sign off on the Amber College assisting me.

There has just about been enough time for a ship to sail from Cathay with news about the diggings on the east coast of Nehekhara, so he might have confirmation about that. He had the report from High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer and multiple reports about the various daemons I've hunted down. So he knows that I'm capable from people whose word he trusts. But I have no significant connections. Raw power is all I bring to the table, and I've made it clear that I'll bring that anyway. The Old World road network is my second highest priority.

So.. he.. wants a threat? Bound to him by marriage? Does he not understand how little I want to rule places? If that was what I wanted I'd have gone to the Border Princes, not stayed in a small Bretonnian village.

"Sir Paolo? Are you well?"

"Ah, sorry." I shake my head. "I was just trying to work out why your niece is in the next room." A slight reaction from him, more curiosity than concern. "I'm not very good at this sort of thing."

He turns his head and nods at a servant, who bows and leaves the room in her direction.

"I wanted to introduce you over breakfast."

"With a view to..?"

"I have ambassadors in the courts of each of the Elector Counts. It is seldom possible to gather more than a few of us in any one place, so virtually all of our communications happen indirectly. You may be able to fly to any of our capitals when you like, but we cannot similarly contact you. Usually my ambassadors are distant cousins, but given your significance and the lack of existing ties, I felt that someone a little closer would be more appropriate."

"So she would be your ambassador to my little village?"

"The village is incidental; I want to be certain that I can reach the man who can face Greater Daemons in the field and vanquish them."

"Alright. Actually, I was thinking that a big get-together of rulers might be a good idea. Considering that the roads will be going through the territories of multiple countries."

"I think that you make for an excellent envoy. What could be accomplished by meeting directly that could not be achieved with a sealed letter?"

"That's fine for King Thorgrim and King Louen, but… I was thinking of spreading things a little more widely. You know that I am on good terms with Queen Khalida."

"An Undead."

"That's the point. Nehekharan rulers think of the Empire as it was in Sigmar's time. They don't really understand the improvements in magic, in artifice or in industry that your people have made. Entertaining her in person could change that as well as establishing a personal rapport."

"And who else?"

"Ah… King Erik Redaxe."

The Emperor sits up slightly. "He still lives? I heard the tale of how he traded the Duke of Marienburg to my great grandfather when I was a boy."

"He's not a young man any longer, but he still rules the land north of Kislev. Still favours the aesir over the Chaos Gods."

"He raided Ulthuan. The elves don't like you enough to forget that."

"I'm not asking them to like him. Just… Understand that it's in their interests to negotiate for him to unleash his reavers against the Dark Elves instead of them, or to hire them to fight orcs rather than fight them and the orcs." I shrug. "Heck, he may not even want to come. I didn't want to bother asking him if even you weren't prepared to talk to him."

"If he and Boris Bokha are in the same room, one of them will not leave it alive."

"It would need to be handled delicately."

"Delicately." He exhales. "I though you were against piracy."

"I am. But if he agrees to limit his peoples' actions in exchange for mercenary contracts, they won't be pirates any longer. If he doesn't, then he's had his chance. I could even explain the concept of shipping insurance to him."

"I think-."

The door opens, and a well-but-not-ostentatiously dressed young woman walks in, followed close behind by servants bearing trays of breakfast foods. Fruit, fresh rolls, bacon and sausages. Karl Franz stands, and I do as well.

"Sir Paolo, my niece, the lady Richilde Holswig-Abenauer."

I bow my head. "A pleasure to meet you, I'm sure."

She smiles-. I don't know. Maybe I've been spoiled between a elf and a woman with a custom-crafted face blessed by a goddess, but honestly? She looks kind of plain. Slightly short, shoulder length hair brown and straight… The only things that draws my attention is her genuine curiosity about me.

She curtsies. "Good morning, Sir Paolo." A servant pulls out her seat and she sits, prompting the Emperor and I to do so as well. "Uncle Karl has been telling me about your plans for a road network. Tell me, how do you intend to maintain it once it is built?"

I take a draft plan out of subspace and put it down next to my plate.

"A combination of road tolls and magic drawn from the network. In Tilea, it was the responsibility of the military to build and maintain roads, and I think…"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Welp, he's doomed.

Because it looks like the Emperor brought out the big guns. A woman who can actually keep up with Paolo's rampant desire to build things.

24. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Oh dear, his one weakness, girls that engage with him on his niche nerd hyper-obsessions.

But seriously, I don't think she could have made a better first impression. You go, girl.

25. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Yep me too. Totally not married because I'll be isekaied any day now.

I'll just be out back, poking the Truck-kun in my yard with a stick.
    And how in the hell did I just now realise I actually have a Truck-kun

Shit Truck-kun is actually a TARDIS and has a perception filter, but feeds like a Weeping angel

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah... Looking to marry off a cousin or niece, of course. Because bonds of marriage are a little more reliable than any treaty on paper. Not that such things stopped some would-be lords. Consider the 'alliance' of Wu and Shu during the Three Kingdoms era, for example...

Because the Empire, for all its enlightened scientific advancements, has still not cottoned on about sanitary practices...

Maybe he doesn't trust the lady to keep a level head if she went from mere 'Emperor's lady' to full Empress. Never underestimate the heady lure of that much power on a person's state of mind.

Not least the issue of where to send the results. Too close and you'd soon stink up your beaches. Too far and it becomes prohibitively expensive to maintain.

And no doubt even hefty fines can convince them to stop that shit.

His little burg might well end up being the cleanest place in The Old World.

Yeah, good luck explaining modern dating practices to someone with an understanding of matters five centuries or more in the past.

...Ah. Because of course the classic OL denseness was not unique to him alone.

Well, embedding actual spies in Bretonnia into his village might be a challenge.

And so he's looking to harness you to his Empire, by way of marriage. Pretty simple logic, really.

Heh. So deep in thought he forgot he had company...

Not really surprised that he'd have spotted her, I see. I suppose this just makes it easier to invite her in without a contrived little ploy.

I mean, it's fairly obvious, really.

And I suppose this niece is troublesome enough that you can afford to lose her that way?

...Paol might have to work on a method to allow that contact. Pity a Crystal Radio is a bit too short-ranged.

Among other things, face-to-face meetings with your fellow rulers? Easier to think of someone as a friend rather than a distant title when you have a face to match to the name.

Oh, don't hold that against her. She doesn't smell at all, I assure you!

Not really all that many nations in the Old World that the Empire aren't already on neutral terms with.

Barring a descendant with ambitions and a lack of scruples?

Still, that is an impressive feat, given the High Elves are fairly powerful at sea.

Suggest a drinking contest, maybe? Perhaps they'll both die and you can get a more amenable successor?

Well, it's a matter of who the piracy is committed against, I guess.

...Honestly not that different to how the French dealt with the Nordic raiders.

Off to a good start, I see.

I think you just need to recalibrate a little, Paol.

Making a good first impression, I see.

Well, that's off to a good start. It seems the lady has a keen intellect, given her initial question. At least she's not trying to play foolish games of romance with him. :cool: ...Yet. Methinks the other prospects for Paol might have a new challenger. And an amusing discussion of sanitation, before that, eh? Still, I don't expect to see anyone complaining about that sort of thing... Other than Papa Nurgle. :p

27. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I totally forgot that he has an Elf girlfriend, how many times did she show up?

And can't they create some communications network using the road that is gonna get build as well? Even if it's as simple as messengers and waypoints, it would be a lot faster than the practically non-communication they have now, no?

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

is -> isn't
    intent -> intend

29. Mr Zoat

The Imperial Road Warden Service has existed for about fifty years at this point.
    No, that's intentional. He is acknowledging that he doesn't bring an alliance with any other territory, either internal or external.
    Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘happily’
    An optical telegraph is pretty easy to make, right? I wonder if he’ll introduce it. Maybe they wouldn’t work so well when beastmen or greenskins will just smash them.
    Extraneous apostrophe?

Assblaster5000, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 3 others like this.