1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Nianque

Nianque Verified Dragon

There is one god im the Aztec Pantheon that people should be happy about. Quetzalcoatl. Though he isn't just an Aztec god, he was worshipped through out all of Mesoamerica. If any god in that region can considered a good person, its him. Some sects of Christianity have put forward that he and Jesus are the same people, so that should tell you something.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  3. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

I don't really think I could do his comic appearence justice. His fight with the demons? In the comics it wasn't even close. They were destroyed. And that's not taking into account that when he wanted to see what sort of person John was, he time travelled around his life, killing everyone in John's vicinity.

5. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Also in the comics, the holy water had no effect on Mictlantecuhtli whatsoever. John explicitly notes that while it forms an impenetrable barrier to the demons he lured to the church, as far as Mictlantecuhtli is concerned, it's just water.

6. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

If anyone's mentioned Aztek, I missed it, but he's the obvious one that springs to my mind if the Aztec pantheon is in play.

7. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

This sentence looks awkward. Either just "I don't think that I should mention that X" or "I don't think that X is really a topic for the breakfast table" works, but not together.
    Or maybe it was intended as "I don't think that I should mention that X, as it is not really a topic for the breakfast table"?

With that out of the way, is this a third Paul that got personal experience with kitty titties now?

Cuchulin, Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean, you have a habit of missing the obvious.

And with how many more people there are, even if they have a fraction of the world's population worshipping them it would still rival their old numbers.

And with Adom fighting the Anti-Life, there are bound to be more.

That idea Lady Liberty gave you about a pantheon cooperation.

Hmm, maybe with the Accala rising in power there's been a resurgence in old South American religions.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Silveraith like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

With Helios's blessing, he may actually have a chance against her.

Who were you expecting?

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Is the colour-and-font change here intentional, and if so, what does it signify?

Silveraith likes this.
  11. EdwardGrave

EdwardGrave Getting out there.

Really? never really endorsed animal sacrifice? even though the predecesor did this anually? they did, it just got less needed or they changed due to famines and stuff, it wasn't something that they just decided because now they had Jesus. Also, I think torture and killing to please god no matter the situation should count as Human Sacrifice (the witch hunts *wink**wink**nudge**nudge*)

again, this is DC's interpretation, maybe this is official for this story but in reality there was no "god of human sacrifice" Huitzilopochtli is god of passion, will, SACRIFICE, sport, feats of endurance, and most importantly the SUN. so Sacrifice, not "Human Sacrifice" like "Jesus died for us" sacrifice AND sacrifice to the gods but not just Human Sacrifice

Cuchulin, Chaoswind, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  12. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Replying to Vaermina,
    Because the joke he made that she is mad about mentioned it? And you can find that joke one post above the story.

Let me reiterate he Literaryly and Literally set this up years ago.

This is one of the things I love about this story, small things that are set up well in advance become relevant much later and you can trace the through line.

Yes, just as many seemingly large things get lost but, that's the trade off on a ten year old one man project.

Ardy likes this.
  13. Patrick Holt

Yes, It was one of the man reasons for the Epistles in the Bible, converted Jews were still use to performing sacrifices and the apostles had to explain that those were no longer needed,
    1Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
    10 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
    2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
    4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

These were sacrifices to turn the minds of the Jews to the coming redeemer, every sacrifice was specifically detailed in exacting detail of what they were to be and how they were to be killed. With the most common being The Passover lamb, or goat, which must be unblemished, one year old and male. The sacrifice had several steps to be fulfilled to match the greater sacrifice that was to come.
    All of it. Seriously it's called the book of Laws.

Actually, that's exactly why the sacrifices stopped. When the Lamb of God came into the world and took on the sins of all humanity then died to bring about life everlasting the need for sacrifices in similitude ended for the true sacrifice had been done.
    11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
    12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
    13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
    14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
    15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

No that is Human evil that should be condemned, and was never done at the desire of God.

All quotes are from https://www.biblegateway.com/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Cuchulin and CTrees like this.
  14. EdwardGrave

EdwardGrave Getting out there.

I'm sorry but you are literally ascribing history to a mythology book, the bible is not historically accuarte and as such hearsay not history. Also you are also saying that GOD didn't want us to sacrifice and if you are serious about this you are skipping the part where GOD should not enter this, because for all you know the Aztecs GOD also did not want this. this is going to be my last comment on this because the majority of people are christian and as such can be offended by this but GOD is not historical and I was arguing a historical point.

Lord Ernest and Vorian like this.
  15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

: instead of ;

Inconsistent, unless that's intentional.

bloodstream

Probably Sekhmet exerting some influence on her domain to keep things working as normal instead of letting the attention of people nearby get drawn to the scuffle.

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  16. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Could this be related to the tribes in Brazil? They're out of the proper Aztec range but that's the only loosely-related change I could think of. It seems unlikely they'd have a spontaneous renaissance off-screen.

I guess if he made himself useful against the Sheeda that might work for this purpose?

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Patrick Holt

A man named Jesus lived in the times between 1AD and 36AD.
    Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees, based on certain and clear evidence." B. Ehrman, 2011 Forged: Writing in the Name of God ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. pp. 256–257
    Robert M. Price (a Christian atheist) who denies the existence of Jesus agrees that this perspective runs against the views of the majority of scholars: Robert M. Price "Jesus at the Vanishing Point" in The Historical Jesus: Five Views edited by James K. Beilby & Paul Rhodes Eddy, 2009 InterVarsity, ISBN 0830838686 p. 61
    Jesus Now and Then by Richard A. Burridge and Graham Gould (1 April 2004) ISBN 0802809774 p. 34 "There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church's imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more. There's a lot of evidence for his existence."
    He had followers that wrote to each other explaining their internal beliefs and teachings between 36AD and 100AD.
    'After examining the texts myself, I must conclude with the majority of scholars that it is impossible to establish the dependence of Luke-Acts on the Antiquitates. What is clear is that Luke-Acts and Josephus shared some common traditions about the recent history of Palestine.', Sterling, 'Historiography and Self-Definition: Josephus, Luke-Acts, and Apologetic Historiography', Supplements to Novum Testamentum, pp. 365–366 (1992). Brill.
    A Historical Evaluation of the Evidence for the Death of the Apostles as Martyrs for Their Faith this is 481 pages and is well documented on the possibility of them living and speaking to followers at that time
    Leviticus is a book, and some Jews still follow what is written there including trying to resume the sacrifices stated there.
    Shargai, Nadav; Barkat, Amiram (2007-02-04), "Court prevents groups from sacrificing live animals at Temple Mount", Haaretz, retrieved 2008-10-07
    "Rabbis aim to renew animal sacrifices", Jerusalem Post, 2007-02-28, archived from the original on 2012-01-11, retrieved 2008-10-07

So yes the Bible is a historical record that also contains religious teachings. You can choose not accept the teachings, but not the records that are corroborated by other sources.

If you want to continue to declare it is "a mythology book" please be consistent and accept that the writings of the Aztecs on there gods are just as "mythological" and since they believed their kings were gods therefore they did not exist.

jasonh23761, CTrees and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. Sekhmet hit him hard enough to overwhelm his zone of control.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't really care about the rest of this argument, and the other guy is being a bit cringe about their points from what little I read, but this point is kind of stupid. Like, by that same logic you could argue most European monarchs didn't exist/rule because The Divine Right Of Kings was a thing based on their preferred deity "giving" them the right to rule.

Not exactly the same obviously, but if a connection to the divine, real or not, is the disqualifier for existence then, uh, we've got a bigger problem than which gods where or weren't assholes.

Patrick Holt, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

My first thought is that the Aztecs are inspired by Adom's success and are creating a new Tezumak to be their champion, and are perhaps looking to form a League of Divine Champions with Adom as a member.

Certainly lot of DC heroes that could qualify- Adom, Tezumak, Olympian, Son of Vulcan, Celestial Archer, Diana of course, Isis, Captain Thunder, Anansi, and one of the Black Condors, off the top of my head.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  21. Nugar

Nugar Not too sore, are you?

He clearly knew way back when he made the joke that pissed her off. Its not like this comes out of left field. The time for bitching about this particular bit of meta knowledge was some years back.

22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Vorian, kerleth, Sockmonkey and 4 others like this.
  23. Threadmarks: Wait Time (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

17th February 2013
    14:58 GMT

Aztec… No? I mean, I wouldn't be astonished to learn that some of the Sons of Dawn picked up… Parts of their religion, but I can't see Hugo bringing back the more murderous parts of the religion. Most of his people have Euanthe as the most prominent deity, with various elemental beings becoming background figures. Some of those are loosely related to figures from old South American religions, but I don't… Think there's anything that could cause a change like this.

"That's news to me, oh Bast. Ah."

I mean, there's… Aztek, but I haven't seen any sign of him around. His secret society might still be active, but they're secret. And so far as I remember they don't really do anything like the old version of the religion. It's a little difficult to cut peoples' hearts out heroically.

"May I ask how they managed that?"

"No, but Tlazolteotl hasn't looked as good as she does now for… Longer than I can remember."

Something like that couldn't happen without Zauriel noticing, right? I mean, I wouldn't mind if people switched to worshipping the Aztec gods as long as everybody's hearts remained where they are…

"What did she ask of you?"

"That I visit her realm with a few friends. A peaceful visit between pantheons squeezed out by monotheism."

"I don't know enough about the Aztecs to suggest anything. Though I am a little surprised by the timing. I don't think there's been any sort of resurgence in their worship on Earth."

"Then perhaps I should see for myself. Now that I have the power to have choices again, I enjoy using it."

"Uh, Sekhmet seemed annoyed about my suggestion that she replace Ares in the Olympian pantheon."

Bast blinks. "Did she say why?"

"She thought that I was trying to prostitute her and that I was making inappropriate cat jokes."

"I think that she's still annoyed about not getting to offer her power to Teth Adom. Granting him her stamina, strength or speed would have been a great advantage to us both."

"How do I calm her down?"

"You do what you did. I am her when calm. But perhaps a gift would not go amiss, delivered by messenger just in case."

"Thank you. I'll do-."

"Ah." Kon takes a half-step towards her. "So, Nuala? Are you okay with us questioning people?"

Bast considers him for a moment, tail waving back and forth.

"The covenant between man and cat is long since broken. But cat-spirits of all kinds come to my city, and they know where their dishes are filled. And they share what they see."

"And are you going to share with us?"

Her eyes narrow slightly, her left ear flicking. "They don't have cats on Krypton, do they?"

Kon thinks for a moment. "I mean, not any more."

Her ears flap, and she looks towards the steps. "And speaking of broken covenants…"

A large black cat walks up the steps, calmly looking us over before turning its attention to Bast. "I did what you asked."

"You did what I paid you for and used it as an excuse to entertain yourself. But if you want to stay in my realm, then you will take them to the ones the elves spoke to."

The panther's tail jerks from side to side. "Perhaps I don't."

"Oh goddess, is this creature annoying you? Because a little orange light makes all creatures more obedient."

The panther bears its teeth and crouches slightly.

"Oh don't even. You threw your weight around when you could, and now someone else is doing the same you're acting like it's inherently unreasonable. You can deal it but not take it."

Kon shakes his head, turning to Bast. "Have you ever considered getting a dog? Loyalty's, like, their defining trait. I got a wolf, and she's great."

"Those appear to be your choices." Bast walks right up to the panther, forcing it to crane its neck to maintain eye contact. "Do as I ask, be controlled, or be replaced. You may choose as you like. Now."

The panther holds out for a moment, then cringes, tail going down and teeth being once more covered by gums.

"I will obey."

"Good." Bast's eyes flash and the panther twitches, blinking rapidly. "My agents have shown you where to go. Take them there, guide them, and make it clear that anyone who doesn't answer promptly will earn my ire."

"I will."

Bast turns back to us, head held high. "You two are interesting mortals. I expect to see you again when this is over."

Kon and I bow politely, then walk over to where the clearly unhappy panther is waiting for us. Cernunnos joins us a moment later as Bast returns to her recliner and starts licking her right hand.

"I'm sorry. Sekhmet was out when I arrived. She said that I smelled too much like food to talk to."

"Not a problem."

I consider making a 'pussycat' comment, but decide against it.

"Do you know what triggers the transformation in the other direction? I'd like to avoid it."

"She can trigger it voluntarily. The only other thing that I've seen trigger it is the scent of fresh blood."

"Don't bleed." I nod. "Good plan."

"Hey, ah…" Kon walks closer to the panther, which ignores him. "I'm Superboy."

"I don't care. I do this on sufferance." The panther turns away from the main thoroughfare and into a smaller alley. "The elves have spoken to many people, and as Bast has shown them to me so I will show them to you."

"Thanks. Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot. Orange Lantern can get a bit…" He glances back at me. "Demanding when he gets stressed. Can we pay you back for this?"

"I've never eaten a member of your species before. Leave me your arm when you go, and I will be content."

Kon glances at me. Hm. Well, I can't easily cut his arm off or replace it, but I can synthesise a new arm and leave that. I nod.

"Sure. I can do something like that. So who are we going to see?"

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'is'.

25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Huh, look at Paul learning from his past mistakes.

mastermenthe, PJCG, Jaron and 9 others like this.
  26. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I doubt even that even many of the more Semi/Hemi/Demi Jewish sects of early Christianity did much if any animal sacrifice because the Jewish Priest hood or at least the Temple priest hood were pretty dang firm about having people sacrifice at the temple in Jerusalem or it didn't count at all. Also things like Witch Hunts, Were Wolf hunts, The 1st crusade slaughtering every man, woman, child and maybe even dog until the streets of Jerusalem literally ran with blood? That was never central to the Religion, it was rarely fully endorsed by a church, were never really formally planned out before hand and were not a regular part of the faith. Such things were more like aberrations and exceptions that are due to the dark side of human nature.
    In Aztec and most other Central America Religion on the other hand blood, real human blood not wine that has been turned into blood, was a central focus of the faith with rituals being performed regularly that involved either a ruler shedding his own blood (Mayan Kings impaling their tongues and dicks with a string ray spine to bleed onto a paper that was then burned) or killing another human being, throwing women into a Cenote to please the rain god was popular and of course the Aztecs were famous for cutting out the heart of a living person.

True, a god specifically of "Human Sacrifice" is a little silly. But my point was that in DC comics Human Sacrifice is still an important part of Aztec Religion as shown by Huitzilopochtli being listed as the god of such.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    CTrees, Vaermina and Relyt33 like this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So it's definitely as big a surprise to him as it was to us readers. And I'm not surprised the Accala are adapting to the shifting nature of the world so well. The forest is their home, after all, and their protector. Why not worship it as personified by a plant-woman?

Aztek? Man, there's a name I've not heard for a while. But wasn't he a plant by Lex Luthor underneath the 'secret society' trappings? And amusingly, it claims he was South American, but using the name of a Mexican/Central American culture. Mayincatec at its finest, huh?

...I bet she'd be popular in certain more extreme porn communities...

Isn't the 'removing the hearts' thing supposed to be appeasement of some cthonic deity that would destroy the world otherwise? Seems... Kinda non-negotiable. :confused:

...That you've heard of, OL. This might be something relatively recent. Or it might be a ploy by the Anti-Life-infected...

Oh, she's just naturally hot-tempered. Comes with the territory of being birthed to punish unbelievers and all that... ;)

Which is honestly accurate. Still rude of you.

Interesting. So Adom's patrons are getting the greatest share of... Prayers? And the rest are getting some by association?

Preferably not something like catnip, OL. Perhaps an X-ionised khopesh or something?

I suppose the warm sunny glow is soothing a few aches. One more little bonus.

Go on, Kon, flash that sunny smile. :p

They probably had something similar to a feline. Kryptonian animals were weird.

Oh, someone's in trouble, I take it. Best to not get on your goddess' bad side, she's a killer.

Boy, regular old asshole, ain't he? Moreso than a regular cat, I mean. :rolleyes:

Ah, the 'try it and we'll see how you taste' threat display.

...How is Wolf doing, anyway? She's smart, possibly enough for Anti-Life to affect her, isn't she?

And when it comes down to it, he submits. Yes, smart fellow.

And don't try anything outside of those orders, hmm? I suspect the boss will be displeased if they get hurt through your actions...

We can but hope. Bast/Sekhmet is a fun goddess.

Skittish for a god of the Hunt, aren't you? I guess it comes with the territory. Hunt and be hunted and all that.

...Do you want to get eaten, OL? Because I'm sure Sekhmet would oblige.

So watch your words and try not to annoy her too much. I know, that's probably difficult for you. :D

I don't think Mister Black there cares, Kon.

Be careful, Kon. A guy like this, he might take a mile if you offer him an inch.

And of course OL is fine with that. Because expediency and giving him what he wants is easier than negotiating.

So, then. A tour of Bubastis is in the cards, then. Hopefully the panther guy doesn't lead them on too circuitous a route, just to be an asshole. There is something of a time limit in play, after all. They should be smart enough to realise if he does take the long route about town. Then it's a matter of who knows what they need to know, and how much it will cost them...

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

figure -> figures

29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

As I recall they believed it was necessary or else the sun would grow cold, go dark and likely die which I think would trigger the end of the world which was something like the 8th version of the world with each pervious one having been destroyed one way or another. Also I'm pretty sure their after life was located in/on the sun, but It's been a while since I read about that or watched a video explaining it.

Seem like a good gift for a War Goddess.

30. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Demand is the wrong word, with the wrong connotations. It wasn't so much demand as need. The Aztecs had this thing where you can't get something from nothing, that even the gods were bound by. The gods maintained the world and prevented it from ending, but this was a constant task that was understandably exhausting for the gods doing it. To keep them going, human sacrifice was used to give the gods the energy they needed to keep the universe going.

Or to keep the earth from eating you.

Aztec religion was very metal that way.