1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Krypton’
    ’choose’

If that Aztec goddess was better than Bast has ever seen her, that might mean she’s even stronger than she was at the height of the Aztecs. Interesting.

2. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Does anyone recognize who the Black Panther might be?

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Shuri, probably. Assuming that they make another one.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That really should have wrung alarm bells in LePaul given what he's learned the last few chapters.

Because that's suggests someone or something is giving the Aztec's an absolutely huge boost. And the most likely source of that given the circumstances is Manaheim.

Cuchulin, Duke Long and CTrees like this.
  5. Nianque

Nianque Verified Dragon

Maybe I'm wrong but... Aztec mythology has another god, one associated with black jaguars: Tezcatlipoca
    Providence, the invisible and darkness, lord of the Night, Ruler of the North. Also associated with treachery and conflict

A particularly bloodthirsty god even for the Aztecs. Considering the rivalry with Quetzalcoatl, maybe Tezcatlipoca was ousted from the pantheon?

6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Are they all ignoring that they are in the spirit realm and not fully corporeal? Giving your arm here is not the same as giving up a bunch of cells made out of molecules. To be frank, I am quite surprised that Sekhmet's attack on snake form Paul didn't have any spiritual consequences, given that it was essentially his soul that she was attacking, not a real snake that happened to be Paul but is otherwise fully affected by Wholeness Rightly Assumed.

Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Ah, the panther is actually a black smilodon from The Sandman Presents: Bast.

8. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

OL: I shall call them Teekl II.
    Panther: My name is-
    OL: Assimilate. Teekl II.
    Teekl II: Yes, Master.

9. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

hahaha!

Okay that was pretty good. I was only asking because I didn’t know if this is a returning character of the story or someone new.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I guess you can make it heroic if the people who are losing their hearts are really, really evil.

Professor Black did that.

Even if he noticed it he may nut have thought it necessary to inform you.

Either the Shinto are implementing that little plan of theirs, or it's a trap.

Vaermina mentioned Manheim potentially being involved, and I'm afraid that they may have a point.

A lot of people are dying, so Manheim may be trying to use some gods to get rid of other gods by offering them power from death.

Cuchulin, moralrelativity and Bud-E like this.
  11. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Worshippers are one power source for gods, but as we've seen another is... well, the Source. And as we've also seen, you don't need to be a nice deity to draw on the Source. Could be that Manheim made a deal with the Aztec gods somehow. Being the New God of Human Sacrifice definitely sounds like an Apokolips thing to me, especially if you broaden the conceptual definition beyond "literally someone on an altar" to "tossing countless lowlies into the gears of industry so that their blood may oil the machine".

Vorian, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So maybe the Shinto are involved.

Hentai and all that.

Cernunnos mentioned that the Cornwall men are providing them with some power, so the same may be true with Adom.

People look up to Adom and respect him.

His citizens probably have pictures of him in their homes, can name streets after him, have statues erected in his honor.

It may not be full worship, but it probably still has power.

Power that his patrons can collect.

13. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Thank you, that's kind of what I was trying for, highlighting absurdity by being absurd. So I seem to have backed into my point but, may need to be more absurd the next time so the point is better made.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

The specific goddess in question is called the sin-eater, and is supposed to devour sin and impurity to restore the purity of her worshipers. If she doesn't have new worshipers, maybe she found a new source of sin.

Duke Long, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm getting some Howl flashbacks from this.

And now I'm wondering if Moloch will show up.

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Thought so, he was a very clever Kitty who ended up ruining Basts plan in that story.

Sounds like it might work.

17. Threadmarks: War Mastered (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

4th Sigmarzeit 2512
    Morning

Lady Richilde frowns. "…a vampire?"

Sir Mallobaude nods. "As a Questing Knight, I should slay him. But Sir Paol recounted to me the history of Count Vlad von Carstein and I realised that as his peasants lack a human knight to protect them, he is their only defence against the mutants and monsters common in this Dukedom."

The look she gives me is significantly less friendly. "Von Carstein? Who tried to conquer the Empire and turn it into another Land of the Dead?"

"Ah-."

"As it was recounted to me, the peasants of Sylvania paid him and his family a tithe of blood in place of their crops. It disturbed me to think of it, but upon reflection… How different is that to what we Bretonni do?"

"Unless you drink blood, it is quite different."

"We take the majority of the produce of their labour in return for our protection. Under a vampire a peasant may die of blood loss, it is true. But if a peasant does not have enough to eat, is his body not weakened? Is he not more susceptible to disease? Is his capacity to labour not reduced?"

"Vampires slay their peasants on a whim."

Mallobaude's face shifts to a more sombre expression. "And if you believe that knights do not, I could recount those incidents that I myself have witnessed. Oh, they do not eat them, but there are trivial acts which knights consider to impinge upon their honour that can result in a peasant being cut down. And not a soul will speak against it." He shakes his head. "Ultimately, it is the behaviour of the man that I will judge, and while there are many knights more noble than Sir Gwilym, there are all too many less."

Sir Gwilym was the chap who tried to talk Mallobaude around to the dark side when we first met. He's actually my closest neighbour, and… Yeah, he's not worse than the majority of local rulers. Which is an issue, because while I suspect that followers of the Chaos Gods are being rallied against men all over the world, he's right there. And there are more than enough unhallowed corpses in the area for him to put together a decent sized army if he wanted to.

As far as I can tell he's a Blood Dragon but not a member of the Order of the Blood Dragon, a descendant of Abhorash but not of Walach Harkon... But how closely he follows that ideal is debatable to say the least. Abhorash would have wanted him to go on a tour of the highest concentrations of monsters in the world in order to master his blade and himself, while he mostly just lives like a normal aristocrat. He is willing to talk to people he considers to be in his social class, which is why he merely responded to my persuasion of Mallobaude with ill grace and an invitation to visit him if he changes his mind rather than going into a frenzy.

Lady Richilde takes a moment to gather her thoughts before turning to me.

"And do your plans include reuniting the Duchy of Mousillon under Sir Mallobaude?"

Mallobaude shakes his head. "By the Bretonnian Laws of Chivalry I am a Questing Knight. I cannot claim a seat until I drink from the grail, and… That seems unlikely to occur. While I consider my deeds here to be virtuous, they are not the sort which the Lady rewards."

She frowns. "Have you abandoned your quest?"

"I… Did, but…" He sighs. "I… I misunderstood.. certain things about my faith. I was despondent when I came here, and not… Clear of thought. Having had time to reflect… Upon my faith and vows, it may be that when I am no longer needed here I will continue my quest."

I reach over and pat him on the arm. "Granting him the Duchy would be a matter for the king, though I'm not aware of any heirs of the former duke's line."

He shakes his head. "If I became duke, I would have to see to the appointment of a new Knight of the Realm to this village. Unless you wanted to take the Knight's Oath."

"Honestly, I'd be happy to hand over local administration, but I fear that we're getting off-topic. Lady Richilde, I think that's about all of it. Was there something that particularly concerned you?"

"Yes. Vampirism."

"I assure you that I'm not a vampire. Queen Khalida was killed by Queen Nerferata, and she hates all of vampire-kind. My point is that a vampire should be judged by the same metric as anyone else."

"No, though I am glad of it. I am asking because I do not see how a man could do all that you say that you want to do within a mortal lifespan."

I nod. "Not see it all to completion, certainly. I mean, if everything goes really well and everyone pulls together, I think the Empire's road network could be completed before my fiftieth birthday." I huff-laugh. "So maybe eight times that, optimistically. Wait, did you think I was planning on becoming a vampire so I could see it all happen?"

"I was considering it."

"Oh, no. No. The ring responds to my desires."

"It can make you immortal?"

"Do you see a single scuff, notch or other flaw in the door? Any gap between the tiles, the bricks or the flagstones?"

She frowns, looking around. "No?"

"No stains on the countertop?"

She gives her head a little shake. "I don't understand the point you are trying to make."

"I abhor decay. In civilisation, yes, but also in my environment and my person. I abhor things getting worse. I'm not doing this because I'm a moral person who has decided that it's the best use of his abilities in a 'with great power comes great responsibility' sort of way. I do it because… Have you ever seen a Herdstone?"

"No, but I have heard descriptions."

"It's viscerally disgusting. The first time I saw one I was filled with the certainly that things like that Should Not Exist. So they don't. Same thing with my body decaying. I can fix injuries to my body by my own revulsion at the thought of being damaged. So… Yeah. Daemon Princes and vampires are more immortal than me, but I don't have to worry about ageing to death."

Mallobaude looks at me quizzically. "I know that daemons who are physically destroyed return to the hell-realm that spawned them, but what mean you when you say that vampires are immortal? Any number of vampires have been slain in Bretonnia alone."

"Ah. Temporarily. You see, a normal person is connected to their own presence in the…" Not 'the warp', they wouldn't be familiar with the term. "The realm of magic. Their soul. It's connected to their body until they die, at which point it's cast loose. If they've made the appropriate preparations then it will be picked up by their god, and if they haven't then it'll just drift until a daemon consumes it. With me so far?"

Two nods.

"Part of the process of becoming a vampire causes the soul to be brought into the physical world and merged with their body. That's why vampires can't undergo Chaos-based mutation or be marked by the Gods of Chaos. But it also means that they can't ever enter an afterlife. Instead, when their body is destroyed, their soul is bound to their remains and gradually soaks up dhar until it can repair their body and… Then they're ready to go again. It's why I dump the bodies of the vampires I kill on Mannslieb, and why witch hunters who've got the time burn their bodies and mix the ashes with silver and quicklime before spreading it over a wide area. It's why other vampires put the bodies of their fallen in Black Coaches: so they can absorb power from death as they go and speed up their resurrection."

Lady Richilde's eyes widen. "Then every vampire… Even Vlad von Carstein and his accursed heir Mannfred-."

"Oh, Mannfred's already back. One of the reasons why I'm staying away from Sylvania is that he's one of the few people on the planet who could kill me."

At least until my armour's ready. Master Runes are not to be rushed. And assuming that I have time with everything else, because stabilising Sylvania is going to be a long term task. There's a smaller chance of him finding out about me than Malekith, so I'm not prioritising him.

"He's back?"

"Yes, but he's trying to unify Sylvania at the moment so it's not urgent. And if we get the roads set up we could reduce his access to dhar to the point where he can't raise an entire army. So what do I need to do to win the support of the Electors?"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  18. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Telling them that Mannfred's back, and that your plan is bad for his ambitions against the Empire, ought to help.

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And slaying a Vampire Lord of his ascended rank is no easy feat even for a might Grail Knight. A mere Questor? It's more likely that Mal would be strung up in the Carstein dungeons to slowly be bled dry over months or years for the insult.

No, they're not a nice family, any of them.

In a metaphorical sense, madame.

And knights don't? It's much like the Samurai, who at times could slay any lesser for any perceived slight at will.

Which is why the ideal of the Grail is so rarely achieved.

Since even a less-skilled vampire can animate some measure of undead as soldiers.

And no doubt Paol made it clear that hostile action against him and his will be met in kind? :p In as polite a way as he could to avoid an immediate insult or challenge.

Who would want that shithole? Not before it's completely cleaned up, I suspect.

Don't let doubt defeat you, Mal. In some tales, accepting that little voice saying you're not worthy is enough to make you so.

And even if they could be found, they're unlikely to want to claim it. Given its dark reputation.

I'm sure there are many things. Let's start off small, though.

Even given the blood-thirst and occasional frenzied rages?

At least he's being realistic about how long it'll take to get things properly organised.

Though controlling which ones you focus on, that's what takes talent.

Which would put it well ahead of most buildings of the era, dwarvish-built or not.

He runs a clean shop, so to speak.

And honestly, most of those in power in this world don't live up to that lofty ideal anyway.

But take away his Ring, and well... He's just an ordinary man, after all...

And that's not hyperbole. Ghosts are very much a thing. And often dragged into necromantic hosts.

Whereas blood taken from unwilling victims is laden with it. So pouring the blood of human sacrifices onto the ash... Well, let's just say that part is on theme courtesy of Hammer vampire movies.

Not nearly magic resistant enough to shake off things like having his soul ripped out of him by some of the stronger Necromantic spells, after all.

Plus the fact that Sylvania is practically on the other side of the Empire's southern borders. So as much as a thousand miles away.

Yes, that's a bomb that would certainly light a fire under the Empire's leadership. Sadly, it'd probably result in hundreds, if not thousands, of Witch Hunters marching off to 'clean up' Sylvania and basically throw themselves into the meat-grinder. Never mind the conventional armies. And likely push the Vampires into their own counter-invasion decades ahead of plan. So let's not let that slip, eh?

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

What’s a Herdstone? Tried looking it up in the wiki and it’s just a corrupted waystone? A rock with maybe some spikes and skulls attached - not something particularly disgusting. Is there some older lore about how gross it is?

21. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

This post reminds me of a thread that discussed the ethics when it comes to vampires preying on humans.

When it comes to vampires, blood drinkers without demonic influence, I would think that it would be in their best interests for humanity to prosper and to not kill people en masse.

Medicine, hospitals, blood banks, fertility clinics, child care facilities, and protection for humans would be worth while investments for a vampire with time and resources.

m_d, Vorian, Prince Charon and 6 others like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

The Herdstone is the centre of the beastman community and their religious worship. They deliberately turn it into a nexus of chaos magic. The spikes and skulls aren't just spikes and skulls -not once it gets going- but mystical totems of the destruction of organised civilisation.
    That's all true, but very few vampires who aspire to power are rational enough to see it that way. Mostly they're either arrogant arseholes like Mannfred, or more humanlike in their outlook like Genevieve Dieudonné.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A lot of wrong information in here, was Paolo unknowingly put under Vampire Domination?

The idea that they don't mutate is especially hilarious given there's a bit in 2nd edition describing just how horribly they mutate.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    Cuchulin likes this.
  24. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

It's radiating dhar, raw chaos magic, and generally a place of worship for beastmen. It is basically an altar to the defilement of nature and the end of civilization.

25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Extraneous ‘that’ after the comma.
    ‘is debatable’
    ‘Neferata’?
    Space between ‘don’’ and ‘t’.
    ‘vampires’?
    Maybe ‘ageing’? But you might just prefer that spelling.
    ‘Chaos-based’?
    I suppose there’s no dhar up there since there are no Polar Gates? But it’s interesting to imagine that Paol is creating a lunar vampire colony.
    ’finding out about me’?

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Given both Lichedom and Vampirehood are essentially corruptions of what the Liche Priests sought to attain, it makes me wonder what the Qhaysh equivalent to attaining "Immortality" would be like in opposition to the individual "Dhar Methods" Nagash and Neferata came up with.

Given the transcendent, ephemeral nature of High Magic in contrast to it's counterpart, I imagine it's main benefits would be in bestowing spiritual immortality, rendering one an "Eternal Soul", with any other benefits, (supernatural health and longevity, self supremacy), being but side-effects of it.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Both the Jade College spell The Jade Casket and the High Magic spell Apotheosis can bring someone back from the dead.

29. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I feel like this was the wrong thing to say if he didn't want them to prioritize Mannfred.
    The empire is going to want to prevent him from unifying Sylvania.

30. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

True, but I'm afraid I wasn't talking about Resurrection, (rather the difference in the kind of Immortality that Qhaysh could likely provide in contrast to Dhar), though on that subject, suddenly the collaboration between the Imperial Colleges of Magic and Liche Priests looks to be more fruitful than expected, particularly if the Jade Wizards can put the finishing touches to Paol's work.

Given the Liche Priests are probably only sparingly familiar with Ghyran, as their incredibly developed syle of Divine Magic which encompasses the "Lore of Nehekhara" focuses mainly on Hysh and Shyish, it amuses me to think how they might react to the fact their salvation may be further owed to "foreign heathens" who know about certain aspects of Magic which they've been ignorant of.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.