1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The best advice for dealing with certain people who have their own headcanoned version of the fic that took a left turn at Albaqwirky a literal decade ago is to deny recognition.

Vorian, Cuchulin, BBJimmy and 5 others like this.
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In order:
    - The important part of the temple had Apokoliptian tech, which would probably resist any of Paul's available attacks
    - Kon wasn't there with him at the time. His only back up was Tezumak and a surprise from Cornwall Boy.
    - That isn't how that works. Although Paul hears a heartbeat, it's not a literal heart that he can rip out of his body and use as a sacrifice.
    - Paul can't interact directly with the obsidian, or at least he can't remove it quickly or easily.
    - A second Paul devotes to thinking of a loophole that might not even exist, is a second that Mannheim has to decide to eliminate Paul on a whim.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  3. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Don't bother, fam. IIRC Vaermina mostly trolls with dumb ideas due to the fic not using their own headcanon.

I mean they literally had that last 'possible thing he could have done' be basically "I don't know and haven't thought of it, but because MC didn't either he's dumb and stupid", and most of the others be completely idiotic.

Just do:

^^^ THIS ^^^

He's making shit up, and because the fic's canon doesn't match their headcanon, says it's dumb. Just don't engage.

Vorian, Ardy, Darko and 4 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

To be fair, there almost certainly are things the SI could do better at any particular stage. Difficult encounters for him are ones at the edge of his knowledge.

5. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Vaermina only has a point when he talks about stuff from source Canon that he actually knows about. His grasp on the Canon of the fics he reads is significantly less relevant even more so when the fics deviate heavily from their source.

In Mr Zoat case he has been daily updating this fic for ages, tweaking and changing things so Vaer knows less than nothing.

Vorian, Khornelius, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  6. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

I really like this planescape stuff, it was the best campaign setting.

RoasterToaster likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'as he flails'

Shit, he's absorbing it.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if Paul hadn't pissed him off, I'm not sure why he'd heal him.

Paul isn't his worshipper or champion, so he may not receive a blessing.

Plus, even if Paul prays to him, the tattoos may block him from seeing him.

And they may do that more after what happens next.

Hey, Paul is into some weird shit and Qualpopoca lived in that place for centuries, so it's logical for her to think that they'd know something.

After Manheim ate the whole Aztec realm, they may be less inclined for their usual shit in favor of helping the ones that may be able to save them all.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's not exactly the issue. He doesn't want Apollo's active help, he wants Apollo to stop actively impeding him.

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think the implication is that Apollo has cursed Paul in such a way that magical healing would either be weakened or not work entirely for him.

Edit: Ninja'd.

In that case, at what point would Paul consider Apollo being replaced to be the more expedient and beneficial solution? And could he convince Hephaestaean to replace Apollo in the first place?

11. Mr Zoat

When he does it to other people. At the moment it usually isn't a problem because he can heal himself with his ring.

12. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’or in their’

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Duke Long like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Do Or Die Time (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

17th February 2013
    19:26 GMT

In the role play game 'Exalted', the land of Creation is split into five elemental poles. In the middle you have the pole of earth, which makes things stable, and to the west you have the pole of water. Near west has a sea with a lot of islands in it as earth and water combine, then as you go further west the islands peter out until it's just sea. Keep going further and things stop making sense as sky and sea sort of merge together.

I wasn't really able to picture what that looked like until now.

Concerned, I turn to Cernunnos to see if he's got any idea what just happened.

"So?"

"It's gone."

I wait a moment to see if there's anything else. It doesn't look like he's doing anything, but as I understand it god-type magic is a lot more a part of them than what mortal magicians use.

After a moment he stops staring at the blue nothing and meets my eyes.

"Bast's realm was decaying as the magic within lost contact with Earth. With that restored, it began recovering itself. But even when it was decayed it existed. It is not easy to erase things completely. Normally there would be a wasteland… Relics of their faith here and there… Whispers on the wind."

"And the Aztecs have left nothing at all."

He nods, looking increasingly uncomfortable. "A page torn from the soul of the world."

"What would that do to Earth?"

"Any spells or magic artefacts tied to the Aztec mythos would stop working entirely. There might be some disruption to other related mythos objects. Will that be a problem?"

"It shouldn't. Not much left from those magic traditions, and most people who learn magic in South America now learn plant magic from Euanthe and Doctor Isley. And I think the world could do with less magic related to human sacrifice. Anything else?"

"I don't know. If it was destroyed then there would be a magic surge, but if Mannheim somehow absorbed it…" He shakes his head. "I need to return to Otherworld as soon as possible. If he is working on something like this in my homeland, the effect will be worse."

"Because Kon-Sten-Tyn bound England and Otherworld in perpetuity."

"Yes. So make sure that it does not happen."

"I'll do my best." I glance down to where everyone who is returning to Earth are gathering to use the fairy circle. "Shall we?"

He nods and then swoops, landing next to Nuala and saying something to her. I follow him down but aim for Queen Hippolyta, who is conversing with Captain Philippus.

"…the gods moved us here."

Philippus shrugs. "It seems clear to me that we were the ones who were supposed to stop Mannheim."

"Without a way to-." She notices me. "What news?"

"Mannheim appears to have somehow internalised the entirety of the Aztec mythos. That or destroyed it. Problem?"

"We were discussing what aid we could send you. I had thought that the gods wanted us to prevent the heartless from entering the sacred ground of Olympus. If their land is truly gone, then we can send all that we have to aid you. But if there is some other purpose then we would risk weakening our ability to serve it."

Huh. Gods can't just turn up on Earth at full power due to their sheer arcane power not… Fitting. Presumably they could create some sort of… Barrier effect using the same sort of magic, forcing someone to enter their realm at low power. So… The heartless storm Themyscira, which… Anchors..? The low power end? But if the heartless killed the Amazons off then that would gradually push the spell back?

Logical, but speculative.

And there isn't any way for anyone to assault them from the Aztec afterlife any longer, but there… Is a back way into Themyscira, and if Mannheim sends people through it then the whole things starts up again. And… It sounds harsh, but there isn't anyone on Themyscira that we actually need. Amazons don't leave Themyscira often enough for me to bother including them in my plans.

"We really can't risk anything happening to the Hellenic mythos. I don't know what Mannheim's plan is, but I think it would be best to stay on guard here. My plan… We should be able to carry out my attack in a couple of days at most."

Queen Hippolyta nods, while Captain Philippus looks mildly put out. "Do you agree that the gods wanted us to defeat Mannheim?"

"I don't know. I wouldn't presume to speak for them. Maybe? I'm not sure how you'd have beaten Tlaltecuhtli without me, but you could probably have bypassed her and found Qualpopoca. Found out what Mannheim was doing. Maybe rescued a few people." I sigh. "This is the thing about isolationism: you get used to not engaging with people outside of the island on anything except your terms. You have the highest percentage of superhumans of any nation on the-. On the surface. There are… Lots of things you could do, but…"

I shrug.

"Amazon culture has started to change, and that's great. But the instincts of three thousand years don't change in a couple of years, and the world doesn't pause while that happens. And I'd love to discuss this in more detail, but I need to go. Excuse me."

Hippolyta nods thoughtfully, and I skip to the head of the queue where Cernunnos is watching Nuala carefully. I really don't think that she's going to try anything at this stage, but… Maybe he's just concerned?

"Orange Lantern. Nuala will open a portal for you to Castle Baaleskein. After you are through, she will close the portal and open one to Otherworld. I will take her and Brian through and look after her until her brother appears to take her."

"Thank-." I turn to Nuala. "Thank you. Once this is over I'll-. Actually, if you stay with Cernunnos for a couple of days I should be able to fix your remaining injuries."

She freezes up for an instant, then looks at me nervously. "I can't repay you."

"I don't do things for payment. I do them because the universe is the wrong shape and I've made it my life's mission to fix it."

"No, I-. My magic. I must pay my debts."

"Okay, agree to show a couple of friends of mine how to use elf circles and that will be plenty." She hesitates for a moment, then nods nervously. "Thank you." I look to my colleagues. "Everyone ready? We need to pick up Robin and Match before I.. start calling people in."

Kon nods. "I wonder what they found."

M'gann smiles faintly. "Maybe they found the missing British superheroes and we'll have a whole lot more help?"

Robert shakes his head. "Doubt they'd leave Britain even if that was what happened to them." His body shimmers as he activates his enhancements spells. "Okay, ready."

Nuala waves her hands, and there's a faint gust of air from the area around the fair thing. Air pressure equalising, probably.

I generate construct armour and a construct tower shield and stride through.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Those should be removed.

As much as I hope that this is the kick in the pants that the Amazons need to be more active in reintegrating with the rest of the world, I seriously doubt anything short of the literal death of a few of their gods could get them to do that.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I feel like LePaul is missing something huge here.

Like some long reaching Aztec spell or bit of magic that he doesn't know about, or maybe some sort of super powerful Aztec arcane seal holding back some ancient evil.

kerleth, EgyptianDio and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well, if that's what Mannheim did then things just turned even worse. To my eyes, that afterlife could be also Mesoamerican and not just Aztec, since Tezumak was there. So all across Central America and Mexico magical traditions, spells and effects have just gone poof!

Absorbing all those Mythos, all that magic, essentially a big chunk of the planet's Thaumosphere, could also empower Mannheim to insane degrees. New Gods don't need to jump through hoops to exist in the material world while still being able to exert their metaphysical power, and now Mannheim ate who knows how many gods, their realms and the remaining souls. Usually that's an endgame for a bad guy because at that point, that level of power should make them unstoppable, but to Mannheim this is Plan B and still the means to an end, supposedly.

Vorian, Ardy, Silveraith and 5 others like this.
  18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Really, the human mind isn't really designed to imagine that sort of thing. We kind of expect things like sea, earth and sky to remain where we expect them to be. And when they don't we tend to get headaches. Especially the physicists and geologists. :p

"Frankly, I'm as lost as you are, mortal. This is a bit beyond my ken."

Well, call him Captain Obvious, then. I suppose his portfolio doesn't really extend to comprehending complex meta-physical transformations of arcane geography.

And now, nothing remains of the Aztec mythos. Besides a few wounded ghosts and one left-over deity.

I shudder to imagine the paperwork for the other divine realms as they deal with a population suddenly bereft of their ancestral ties. Lots of new blood converts to take on, though.

Remind me, did Aztek actually have connections to the Aztecs, or was that just a Luthor thing? I can't think of too many other personages in DC with Aztec links...

Fortunately, most of the Central andSouth American pantheons of empires like the Inca and Maya aren't super closely related (barring some crossover deities.) :D Though I wouldn't be surprised if they were giving the former Aztec realm the side-eye and sweating.

Ooh, good point. I wonder what effect this will have on Mexico and its neighbouring lands?

At least she's walking now. Though I expect she's still not in great shape. I get the feeling Cluracan will be very overprotective of her for a while... until he gets distracted by something shiny. :rolleyes:

Oh, no. I doubt that was the reasoning behind all this nonsense. What could you do to him? Are you secretly a god?

Please, ladies, don't go doing anything drastic without checking with your gods first?

Like a viral attack? Softening the borders to allow a stronger assault?

Cold, but logical. And for the most part, the Amazons can take care of themselves. They weren't having that much trouble with the Aztec zombies, after all.

Again, how, General? Do you have some god-slaying weapon you've been keeping hidden away? Because OL could probably make better use of it right now.

I mean, a few dozen demigods in three hundred thousand? Plus the fact that nearly every Amazon is a powerful militia fighter.

In other words, 'sort it out yourselves, I have a god to defeat.'

Let's hope things don't take too long on that front. surely Robin and Match have their fight finished by now.

Ah, yes. The concept of 'honour debts' so important to Elves. Do one a good turn, and they'll owe you one in kind.

And an open-ended thing like this is pretty major. OL asking for nothing leaves a huge karmic weight on her.

Probably figuring she's getting off easy on that front.

If nothing else, I suspect some of the overseas heroes might laugh at their concepts. :p Seriously, not all British capes were invented with seriousness in mind.

Not taking any chances this time, eh, OL?

Things could get noisy at their destination, especially if the robot army is still fighting. Still, four A-tier heroes will turn the tide quite quickly. And with any luck, OL can get in touch with the league and update them on what the fuck has gone down in the last couple of days. Because these last couple of episodes have been one day in-universe. OL's never gonna lose that 'jinx' reputation at this rate...

Shouldn't Cernunnos' dialogue be Bolded, or has he lost a little volume in Themyscira?
    "Because Kon-Sten-Tyn bound it to England and Otherworld in perpetuity."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Sorry to correct you but...
    1. The Mayan's are Central American like the Aztecs.
    2. The Mayan's while not exactly related did share the god Quetzalcoatl/Kukulkan and I think a bunch of other gods with the Atecs as well as both groups religions being very focused on offering human blood/human lives to the gods. Most Central America peoples had the Feathered Serpent as part of their pantheon and shared other important bits of culture like the Mesoamerican ballgame where the losing team or maybe just their Captain risked being a sacrifice to the gods.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Can't say for sure, but in most settings they have at least a couple stored away for Hades/Ares emergencies.

Of course, he would probably have to ask about them. Or at least participate in a non-lecturing conversation long enough for them to volunteer the information.

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘god-type’?
    Did even Tlaltehcuhtli die? I guess Mannheim still had her original heart?
    ‘is gathering’
    ’it’ll’?

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  22. Lord Ernest

This is part of the reason why I'm suspecting that Mannheim may have eaten the whole conglomerate of Mesoamerican Mythos. Tezumak is the other. He's supposed to be pre-Aztec Mesoamerican, so possibly Olmec, or a precursor to those. By virtue of being among the first civilizations to develop in the region, they also influenced the civilizations that came after them. Tezumak's presence in that afterlife means that their Mythos may have been inherited as well, so other Mesoamerican Pantheons may be interconnected or at least in contact with each other. Especially when they even share Gods, with practically no difference (unlike with Hepheastus and Vulcan, whom may have differences that separate and distinguish them).

Tlazolteotl was even trying to contact Bast, probably as a trap, so that Mannheim could extend the scheme. So more than likely they had already captured the other related gods nearby by that point.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Vaermina and 3 others like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    They are doing it, just really slowly.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's correct.

24. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Wonder how many more chapters, each with their own delays and distractions, will be fitting into those ‘couple of days’.
    This sodding arc has been going on for more than a year real-time and about one and a half months in-universe. I have long since given up hope on it ending any time soon.

Ardy likes this.
  25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Actually, aren't a lot of them moms by now? Paul did, uh, fertilize(?) a lot of them.

If they have a lot of babies to protect that might make them even more isolationist currently.

(Also, was it only female babies? I don't remember)

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

When Paul helps the women impregnate one another, he can make sure it comes out a girl. It's when the women leave Themyscira and get pregnant the old fashioned way that can possibly result in boys.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

[Sighs because his father was a biology teacher and he knew this stuff entirely too early]

Go away and look up how chromosomes work, and then tell me where the 'y' for a boy would come from.

Vorian, Xelloss, TheLunarwolf and 5 others like this.
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought I remember Paul saying that with his ring he can ensure that the pregnancies he facilitates would all turn out female. Or am I misremembering?

29. Mr Zoat

Vorian, Chojin Patriarch and Ngamer11 like this.
  30. Lord Ernest

My friend, in simple terms, a kid's sex is determined by their chromosomes, the mother contributes one of their X and the father contributes an X or a Y.

Two females would contribute one of their X, resulting in XX. Ergo, only female babies can be produced.