1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The earth thaumosphere is heavily contaminated, that is a bad idea.

BartlettMagic likes this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The thaumosphere is different than the dream, per his conversation with Hecate

BartlettMagic likes this.
  3. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

meh, it was a thought. 'benevolent goddess with a lantern's ring' is a super interesting concept to me. it seems like certain concepts in the magical/spiritual/ethereal/eternal realm are really compartmentalized in this universe, and i love it when Zoat blends boundaries between them. an Earth Hellenistic goddess of nightmares (among other things), with a universally recognized constant like the emotion and yellow light of fear, channeled through one of the strongest tools/weapons of the universe in a latern's ring, potentially bonding with/controlling the embodiment of fear, possibly getting some kind of advanced patronage from an Endless if she plays her cards right... what a fucking trip that would be.

i do concede all points in rebuttal.

Vorian likes this.
  4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I can’t quite figure out how to link the image directly from Reddit, but Here is seemingly another example of British (probably lower class) slang I found amusing recently due to the context.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Mr Zoat and Ardy like this.
  5. ch405_5p34r

ch405_5p34r Getting some practice in, huh?

ah, hell. i do hope that it’s unnecessary in the end - he’s been trying pretty hard not to have to go to extremes or jump immediately to them, and he already feels like shit even asking Bats to do it anyway. not to mention - i think Paul’s relationship with Batman is one of the most interesting out of the League in general, so if this is how it ends or fractures it would hurt a lot, haha. i’m sure Batman would understand from an intellectual standpoint - he’s no stranger to ends justifying the means - but i find it hard to believe he’d trust him again, or at least not as much.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  6. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I suppose I'm a little unsure as to who Paul plans on dosing with what I assume is fear toxin? Get Bruce to respond to Talia being dosed?

7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Alternatively, his main objection might be 'it's magic, therefore nonsense' (I don't actually remember which chapter the stone is from, or anything else about it, so I might be wrong about it being magic; any idea where the stone was introduced?) or 'Orange Lantern is not a psychologist, and therefore must be wrong.' The latter possibly overlaps with 'we can't have non-experts curing people, it'll make us look bad, and potentially lower our salaries.'

8. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Here you go

Ardy, Duke Long, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.
  9. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Thank you. OK, we can add 'religious objections' to the list of possible reasons why the therapist might have decided that the stone had to go.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's also important to remember that the therapy was having Crane be exposed to nightmares by a Greek deity that's connected to nightmares and madness.

None of that sounds even remotely good or sane.

His therapist may have made a mistake, but if you heard what the supposed treatment was, you would probably also do the same thing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Threadmarks: Do Or Die Time (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

17th February 2013
    20:15 GMT

Thaal Sinestro hasn't actually committed all that many crimes on Earth.

Considering.

He also… I haven't been able to establish a pattern of behaviour. When I first arrived on this Earth, I wondered which version of… Each person I met I was dealing with. Goofy, silver aged Batman or serious modern Batman. Dr. Fries motivated by a desire to cure his wife, or just another criminal arsehole. Brain damaged Guy Gardner or arrogant git Guy Gardner. And it was mostly pretty easy to work out. I only got confused when I got a version I didn't recognise from anywhere, or a character superhero I'd never heard of, like Icon or Hardware.

Comic Sinestro has two very distinct phases. The early 'I-just-love-being-evil', exists purely to dick around with Jordan phase, and the later Sinestro Corps Order Through Fear stage. So when I checked the record and found out that he had spent a significant amount of time fighting Jordan at a relatively early point in Jordan's career, I… I thought I'd dodged a bullet. Because there's no obvious way for the first version to morph into the later one. He's effectively a new character. I mean, the second one was more of a threat so I kept an eye out, an eye that has now seen everything that I need to know that I'm definitely dealing with Sinestwo now.

And that's why I'm reluctant to contact him. Ah, one of the reasons. I can't explain the change. Which means that I can't explain his motives. Green Lanterns aren't banned from using lethal force, it's just heavily discouraged, so he wasn't picking a fight to get that rule changed. So is he still just plain evil but with backup? Just.. acting out early on? Messing with Jordan as some sort of training exercise?

I don't know.

And I'm not going to find out standing here waiting for Batman to have a breakthrough.

"Illustres to Sinestro. Please respond."

I glance through the wall. Batman's… I think he's getting there, but I don't know if it'll be quick enough. I-.

"Illustres." Sinestro's face appears over my ring, his face carefully in neutral. "This is unexpected. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Apokoliptians are covering Earth in Anti-Life. I've got a solution, but it requires a yellow power ring."

"Which you already have."

"Yes, thank you for approving that. The issue is that the person I intended to give it to had.. some sort of personal revelation in my absence and is now struggling with it."

"Bruce Wayne, I presume."

I nod. "I don't actually want a member of your Corps on or around Earth -for obvious reasons- but if you've got a long list of recruitment targets on Earth that aren't Bruce Wayne or Jonathan Crane, I'm happy to give them a tryout for you."

"Something to remove the Anti-Life, the most dangerous memetic infection in the universe, and it requires the manipulation of the yellow light of fear."

"Yes."

"I'm going to need a little more than that. I have no desire to send one of my Corpsmen into a trap."

I keep smiling. "As I said, I don't want one of your Lanterns here. Just a list of possible recruits."

Bane's dead, and none of his gang would really work. The last time I checked, Alexander Nero was still in an asylum, and nothing in his files really suggested to me that he would make a good Lantern. Wilson Slade is certainly intimidating, but he doesn't really use fear as a tool.

"I haven't been to Earth in years." True, as far as I know. "Any list I had would be out of date by now. Even in your Sector at large, since you acquired Amon Sur and killed Traitor I don't have any leading candidates."

"Really."

He shrugs. "Despite what you may think, Earth isn't the centre of the universe. I haven't updated the plans I once had for the Earth because I haven't had the need."

"Alright. Well, thank you for taking my call. I'll-."

"A moment. You think that you have a way to defy the Anti-Life."

"Yes."

"Is it something that can be deployed in the field?"

"In theory, yes. I haven't tested it yet."

"Knowing what it is would be a valuable piece of information to me. Enough to persuade me to come in person."

I shake my head. "I'd rather that you didn't."

"Do you want me to stay away enough to allow your world to fall to Apokolips?"

"'Be mindful of what you value the most, for you may have to give up everything else in its pursuit.'"

"And?"

I clench my left fist, ending communication.

"And I'm not that desperate yet."

"No." Jesus! "I imagine that you're not."

I float away from-. Gah!

Batman's eye holes glow as his ring-bearing right hand extends towards me, grasping motion mirrored by the construct nearly constricting my throat.

I didn't hear him or detect him, or-. I can still see an outline inside the gymnasium.

"Phobiline hydrochorate alone wouldn't have been enough to do this to me. What else was in the mix?"

"Making you feel fear wasn't the point. I needed to change the way your brain interprets fear-."

"Smilex."

"Not the active components, but the bindings? Yeah. It works better than anything else because I know how to undo it afterwards. We hit Mannheim now-."

And now my throat is firmly constricted.

"Orange ring users are easier to replace."

I can't-. Ring.

Compliance.

"The only person with the slightest chance of staying on-task is Lex Luthor, and I don't know where he is. Anyone else would probably go crazy before reaching the Anti-Life broadcast hub."

He keeps glowering at me, and while I know that I'm more powerful I also know that he's a lot more intelligent than me and he's now got a thought-speed weapon.

"If that's a condition then-."

"Mister Atom to Lanterns. Observed behavior amongst humans around unliberated elf gate sites indicates that they are succumbing to the Anti-Life at a dramatically accelerated rate. And Orange Lantern's decision has the highest probability of success."

Batman slams me into the hard metal of the corridor wall and then stalks past me into the meeting room.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I can't wait to see Batman's inevitable anti-Paul plan in action, because he's going to make that a priority after this.

Wheenesss, Vorian, kerleth and 19 others like this.
  13. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I imagine he might just not give back the ring.

Vorian, Alexandercctv, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"an eye"

If I remember correctly he arrested him after he caught him trying to give those ships to pirates.

Well...

PJCG, Vorian, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  15. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

...Paul did you just turn him into The Batman Who Laughs?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe just a fraction of that.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Realistically? There are a lot of ways Batman could utterly fuck LePaul.

But that's not really in the narrative.

So the most I expect is Batman just bluntly telling everyone what LePaul did and ruining his reputation with everyone even remotely League adjacent.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think what would more likely happen is that some heroes would prefer Paul over Batman or vice versa, leading to there being factions among the heroes. Not necessarily opposed to one another, but more willing to work with those in their faction than those in the other faction.

19. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

yep, Paul and Bruce are done with each other

you don't dose your enemy, let alone your own ally with the Joker funny gas

20. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if any member of the Orange Corps will be able to come up with a better solution after this. I know a lot of them would not value Batman’s well-being over their own home world, or Earth as a valuable resource, but there should be a few lessons to be learned from this. Batman has previously demonstrated he can be petty, he just doesn’t lash out like a supervillain. So I imagine there will be consequences for this, even if Batman loses the ring.

To be honest, I wonder if his ring or the Medusa Mask will be destroyed from this. Seemingly-permanent damage to Paul’s superpower from the mask’s destruction? That would be neat. Perhaps it could degrade further each time he reconstitutes. A fear born from that…

I’m going to jump to civilians next. Is Mannheim or Darkseid going to be a taboo name? I bet such a case will be used more precisely than “he who must not be named” was in H.P., but I’m not sure if that is enough. What sort of symbol or behavior could connect people, help build them back up, after the Anti-Life is sealed? Perhaps a newfound interest in magic, due to people drifting away from organized religion? Could become as common as modern day blacksmithing or glassblowing.

21. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

I'm left wondering why Paul didn't at least check with Jordan or Guy as to whether screwing around with Batman or Sinestro was preferable, given the choice?

Vorian, Prince Charon, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  22. EgyptianDio

EgyptianDio DAJAKU! DAJAKU!

Whelp… we are now about to enter a new Nabu debate. Except it is Paul who is the bad guy now.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I would be fine if Paul takes another extended vacation from Earth if this is what it takes to stop the Anti-Life.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Though what he has committed tends to sit amongst the worst. Fortunately he's mostly only interested in Earth because of Hal Jordan. If he knew what else was here, he'd have led a force to conquer it outright before now.

Good catch, OL. These aren't characters when you're dealing with them face-to-fleshy-face, after all. They're people. Though it does amuse us to imagine the reactions of those Pauls in worlds like 'Superfriends' or 'The Brave and the Bold'. Imagine having to deal with that much schmaltz from the first, or the sheer hamminess of the second?

I suspect his exile within the Green Central Power Battery helped, where he met Parallax.

More likely he's running the Lawful Evil route. The 'Order through dominance' course, where the universe marches to his beat, an orderly beat.

Oh, boy! This has been a long time coming! :D

And when he talks, I can't help but hear Vincent Price.

Because the Yellow Ring is no doubt feeding him intel every moment.

Ah, good, you know him. That should make this easier. Any hints?

Oh, he has his suspicions about what's going on, doesn't he? To be fair, he knows of Orange, Yellow, Green and Indigo Light. Not unreasonable to make the leap to there being more colours. And from there to the possibility of them combining.

...Which means he has Corspmen, of course. Good to have that confirmed. Unless he's pre-emptively considering Bats one.

Nero definitely seems more like a projectile, yes. One you aim at your target and forget about. But always have a kill-switch for, of course.

I guess he's still trying to find someone or something capable of providing the sort of spiritual targetting the Greenies have.

Though no doubt those plans will be being looked at now, with three colours of Lantern on-planet (four if you count the Violets.)

Well, the assumption of one. It all comes down to how the Entity will react.

And it'll require more cooperation than Sinestro would be willing to apply, I suspect.

Yes, trade one would-be conqueror for another. Albeit one with slightly less threat.

I wonder if he'll catch that you're quoting someone?

He's not that close to the Godzilla Threshold, thank you.

...Old habits die hard, eh, OL? Surprised you didn't drop an 'Eris!'.

...Okay, he's using the Ring. Good news. Problem is, he's focused on you.

Remember, he's a goddamn ninja detective. And now he was a weapon that can do anything he can imagine... A simple fakeout is easy.

...Yeah, okay, that would piss him the fuck off.

Good thing you don't need to breathe.

Ah, getting it to supply air through your larynx so you can speak?

And there's no time to call in anyone from his Corps. No-one could travel that fast to make it here in time.

Effectively being Exiled from Earth might suck, but at least it'll be safe..~ish.

Well, clock's ticking. Now or never. And 'never' won't end well for anyone but Mannheim.

And there goes any relationship he had with Batman. Maybe Bruce will look back later with a clearer head and agree that 'Yes, it did work. Fine, you were right.' But that may take quite a while. At least he can focus on the mission, and not on turning OL into confetti. Though I can't wait to hear someone utter 'Who thought it was a good idea to give the Goddamn Batman a thought-based weapon?'

...unelaborated elf gate sites indicates...
    I think 'had' might fit better here? Assuming he meant the chemical assistance.

25. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Risk or no, I would rather have taken Sinestro up on his offer than do what Paul did to Bruce.

You could maybe do something to stop or prevent his maybe-not-even-inevitable betrayal.

You just plain can’t fix Smilexing an ally that trusted you. Not in any way that matters.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Reread the newest story part and found an error.

That should say 'spent'.

27. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Fucking with Batman's head and ruining a relationship with an ally vs just biting the goddamn bullet and accepting aid from Sinestro or someone Sinestro adjacent.

Naturally, he picks the stupid option. For all that he's supposed to be in a rush, he sure does love making this needlessly complicated. I certainly don't see how this isn't a bigger act of desperation than the Sinestro option.

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Think 'had' is what works here.

Remember that Paul here does not think like a normal human anymore and has not for some time.

He tries to think human-like, but he's steeped in orange so he assesses value, basically, when getting what he wants.

Getting Fear Batman Now alienates Batman, possibly permamently, and might wind up with him getting kicked off Earth for a time. But he gets what he wants now, and with minimal risk to the planet itself - he can cure Bruce and then bugger off for a few decades cleaning uo the universe.

Inviting Sinestro to Earth? That trades 'extistential memetic threat' for "world-conquering threat who may decide if he can't have the planet no-one can" - especially since it almost certainly will end with Sinestro learning that Earth is the home of the Life Entity. Which ends with a likely best possible result of Sinestro declaring Earth a protectorate like Darkseid did in the Renegade timeline.

Taken strictly as a utilitarian assessment, the former is the "better" answer.

29. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

That was a fucked up thing to do, but the earth had been under darkseid's heel (by proxy) for literally months.

Everybody is having their minds fucked with world-wide.
    Put your big-boy pants on and embrace the drugs for the next 2 or so hours.

Grow up.

Vorian, kerleth, RoninSword and 12 others like this.
  30. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

While monumentally fucked up, and probably something that absolutely ruins their relationship, given the alternative is Darkseid eats Earth, it's not the worst possible thing.

Plus, he used the specific variant he knows how to cure, so he can undo it after. Cold comfort for the trauma and fucked-up-ness of it, but it is at least still better than Nabu just stealing bodies forever and ever.

Definitely something that'll fuck over that relationship, though.

But hey, given that Earth is in the middle of being Anti-Lifed at least he'll have plenty of people to commiserate with in regards to getting their mind fucked with. And by 'plenty of people' I mean literally everyone.

Now, given that this is a comic book, Batman will likely not get the curable thing cured afterwards for REASONS, but here's hoping.

Vorian, kerleth, Cuchulin and 14 others like this.