1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'an'.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So don't go pushing your luck, Sportsmaster. His rep with the league is already a bit unsteady, I don't think killing you would make it that much worse. Especially if you do something foolish that forces him to defend himself...

Honestly, I don't think he ever viewed them with that kind of love. Or any at all. They were assets to him...

And if he's like this with the other Leaguers, I suspect some of them won't have a problem with him ceasing to exist.

After all, Crock is still useful right now. When he ceases to be useful, well...

Ah. I see. He thinks he's got some kind of dirt on OL that he thinks will be embarrassing to come out, huh?

Blackmailing a man who has or can get anything he wants? Pointless.

...Yeah, Jade and Artemis would probably like their father being dead, but it's honestly more trouble than it's worth actually doing it.

Oh, that name's going to just stick around forever, isn't it? No matter how much Waller or whoever ends up commanding Task Force X insists, it'll still be called that...

Admittedly, it'd be a DC so high that you'd need to be a God to manage it, but he could be persuaded.

...Not that OL would ever let you within a hundred feet of using an Orange Ring unless you were a Construct Lantern...

No greater goal than getting rich? That can't be the sole reason.

I'm reminded of Emil Blonsky's subplot in the MCU hulk movie. The old soldier who wants to fight for the thrill of it, but his body's slowing down... It's why he went for the knock-off Soldier serum and then the hulk-blood... I doubt OL would ever let Crock have anything like that, though.

A pity he wouldn't get on well with certain leadership elements...

Ha! Way to string him along, OL. Get his hopes up with that prize only to 'nope' it away.

Because next time, he won't rescind his kill-on-sight protocols.

I think those problems might settle themselves once those responsible realise things have settled down...

Just a matter of the right people on the right places.

I hate to agree with Vaermina, but what happened to the alien ship in orbit you captured? I know you sent others packing but isn't there at least one? Or are you considering that amongst the insufficient League assets?

More people than you have. Unless you're willing to look for outside help...

Bottom of a deep hole looking up, it looks bad right now. Just start climbing, though.

You need more than doctors right now.

All right. Going to request aid from NEMO, or at least supplies? Food replicators, perhaps?

I bet Dox saw this coming and made sure they'd be available.

...Doesn't sound like the best idea to leave it laying around, even with someone as tightly controlled as Dox...

I assume he wants the Atlanteans to try and get through to their cities' leaders and get them to bring down their shields. Which would at least give the League access to more mystical routes of support. I have a feeling Dolmen Gates will be in very high demand soon. Meanwhile, it'll be a matter of getting national capitals back on their feet to get their infrastructure back into action...

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I don't understand this didn't Paul restore Batman's brain to how it was before?

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Sportsmaster is impressed at the lengths Paul was willing to go to finish the job. That's something a professional like him can appreciate.

5. Azure Mirage

Azure Mirage Getting sticky.

Paul does not have to recruit Sportsmaster himself. He could place a note to file and drop hints with Dox or someone else.

Personal issues tend to mess with logical situations. You do not have to like your coworkers, but you do realize they can play an important part. That aside, fuck Sportsmaster.

moralrelativity and Silveraith like this.
  6. ch405_5p34r

ch405_5p34r Getting some practice in, huh?

a professional asshole, you mean :V

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Most people can't eat space ships. It could be used for some transportation I suppose, but it doesn't fix the underlying problems and isn't anything like enough to patch over them itself. Did you have something specific in mind that it could be used for?

8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. How much greed would you need to be able to turn Earth-16's surviving surface population into Bismollians?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

You'd have to think that... 'Bismollian' existence was superior to all other forms of human existence and that all humans being 'Bismolliam' in some way was essential for your goals.

It would be a stretch for most people.

10. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’an unusually’

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Sounds like he needs to contact the Green Lantern corps and ask them to bring a few cities worth of rations, water purification tablets, and easy-to-recharge transport vehicles. The client races for the Controllers (plus mass-produced translation devices) could be a good option too.

And how do you help keep people emotionally stable, instead of flickering between highs and lows? Hire a bunch of Tamaraneans for human resources and support roles. They have experience with destroyed infrastructure, and they love Paul. Maybe some of that squid race and the blind-your-women species too, though they'd need translators. Disaster relief should be a thing on alien worlds which are 15 minutes into the future in terms of technology.

12. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Do the Guardians know about the life entity, and therefore would it be safe to ask them to prioritise restoration of Earth?

I kept expecting Paul getting Anti-Lifed twice in this campaign to have some blowback to the OLC, perhaps transmitting an infection to Dox or Hinon.

Did Sportsmaster hear Sinestro's name st any point, and might he now be tempted to reach out in that direction?

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They are aware, as in this story, they're the ones who put it in Earth in the first place. They also hid it 4 other times before Earth, with the previous location now being known as New Genesis and Apokolips. This story blended the origins of the New Gods and the Life Entity so that the latter's presence is the reason as to why Earth is the "Fifth World" and New Genesis and Apokolips are collectively known as the "Fourth World".

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, with civilization collapsing there are bound to be a lot of warlords popping up.

Now that's an insult to weasels.

"hates"

Are she and Hades still memory wiped?

If not then are they getting divorced?

I know Hades was hopeful that the memory wipe could help, but I doubt it would since if he reverts to his old personality then he may be too cold and distant for her.

Plus once they regain their memories Persephone could still choose to have the divorce even if she liked the time they spent together since that would probably not fix her living in fear and misery for thousands of years.

I'm not sure if Swamp Thing is even alive right now.

When Paul met with Eutanthe, she told him that she couldn't find him.

I think she took his place.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She went beyond that. It was mentioned that the Parliament of Trees went silent after the Anti-Life infected the Green, leading Paul to declare Euanthe the Queen of the Green, a title she begrudgingly accepted. If Swamp Thing is still around, that makes Euanthe his boss.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt she'd be able to keep the position if the Parliament pressed the issue.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It happens sometimes.

There was a store in my hometown that's been closed for over a decade now, but everyone still refers to the place by its old name, even after a new one opened up there.

Heck, the bus I take to work has a paper printed out about which locations it goes to and it has the old name of the store.

Ir he's at least liking the fact that one of the good guys did something so horrible.

We all hate doing that.

Fortunately they're wrong most of the time so we don't feel disgusted.

Paul's not exactly at the best head-space right now.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I kinda hope they're really gone, since Paul could ask Euanthe for a favor if he really needs one, and that favor can be something big if she's in charge of the Green.

moralrelativity likes this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it would be preferable if they're still around since they may know more about how to fix the Green and with the aid Paul gave them, they could also grant him a favor.

21. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Why? A single motivated orange lantern could make all that.

22. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Because Green Lanterns are superheroes who can help via miraculous abilities as part of their temporary deployment, and I figure they could come anyway as guards if a Guardian is sent to inspect Earth.

This will take months to stabilize, and Paul knows that certain repetitive tasks (fixing Gotham) can't be brute-forced with his Orange light enlightenment. Yes, Paul or another lantern could materialize supplies. But delivering them, talking to people who won't hoard them, setting up supply lines, and so-on isn't a task for a single lantern or a speedster. This will take months and require near-constant supervision in many different parts of the world.

As an aside, I wonder if there are any more cloned bodies of Paul with deadmans-switches ticking down. Also, given what Batman said about the superheroes with Apokalypse tech in their brains, I wonder if Question and the others will pull through. Could Scott Free call a New God doctor for them now that Earth has been purged?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Barda on Apokalips now?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    As far as the SI knows.
    One more clone left.
    As far as the SI knows she's on Earth somewhere.

25. Mr Zoat

Okay, made a couple of modifications.

26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing full stop.

27. Threadmarks: Reconstruction (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Reconstruction

18th February 2013
    13:01 GMT

I open my eyes, the ceiling of my facility…

My…

Hm.

The N.E.M.O. facility in Bir Tawil. I rebuilt it last night, with a few modifications that I'd been thinking about for a while but couldn't be bothered to make when the place was intact. The defences… They were… Fine. They were never intended to make the place invulnerable; it's a home with a few defences rather than a fortress, and…

And it's still not the same after someone's broken in.

At least I can't feel the Anti-Life, so that's something.

"Mister Atom to Orange Lantern. Respond."

I lift the duvet and bed sheet off and shuffle around, dropping my legs off the right side of the bed. I could probably have stayed in the field a little longer. Lanterns can keep working without sleep for a couple of weeks without much of a drop in performance. But Mr. Atom found that even superheroes who could function for long periods started making poorer decisions if they experienced frequent high-stress situations or kept going without sleep. Combined with Anti-Life exposure…

It's a bit like World War Z, where psychologists kept tabs on soldiers who were fighting zombies and the moment they saw their performance dip they ordered them off the line for a breather. A pinch of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

"Responding."

I don't know if I'll keep this place. I could just return it to wilderness or remodel it as an actual spaceport. It's just nice to have somewhere that's mine.

I get up and don my lightest armour. We haven't found Vincent Edge and I don't know where my final clone ended up -obviously the same place- but there's… For the first time in a long time there's no fighting going on anywhere on Earth. I doubt that it will last, but it's nice while it does.

"Where do you need me?"

"Have you ingested nutrients today?"

"I just woke-. No."

"Take fifteen minutes, Orange Lantern. Your briefing will begin after that time."

Fine. Fine.

I head out onto the balcony, out of the room but still inside the area covered by the environmental control system. It's sunny, and the rocks, sand and sea look exactly as it did yesterday. There's a faint smell from the desert and from rotting seaweed along the beach. Reminds me of family days on Eastbourne seafront. The kitchen is one floor down and there's an internal staircase as well, but…

It's a nice view.

Down the stairs to the next balcony down, and then inside into the kitchen.

"Can you at least tell me if Atlantis is back in contact?"

"No."

I pull open the cereal cabinet.

What do I.. feel.. like..?

I pull out the Start packet and put it on the work surface. Then a bowl and a milk bottle. Jade laughed when she found out that I keep milk in glass bottles instead of plastic ones. I see her point: I hadn't actually had milk in a milk bottle from a milkman for years before coming to this Earth, and four pint plastic bottles with screw on lids are more practical.

It just… Has good associations. And doesn't produce microplastic waste.

And I think today is a pineapple juice day.

Bowl in my left hand and glass in my right, I amble back to the balcony and sit down at the table.

"How about personal news?"

"I still have not received my newspaper."

"I didn't know that you read newspapers."

"Noted."

"It just seems a little inefficient."

I take a sip of pineapple juice.

"I read the newspapers for metatextual reasons. I am reading to learn about the writers, not about what they write about. If I needed actual information I would investigate the subject myself."

My first spoonful of Starts crunch in my mouth, the accompanying milk mildly sweetened by the glucose sticking the multi-grain shapes together. I guess that Kellogg's will probably survive, though getting production started back up will be difficult. And I should probably see what sort of state Cadbury's is in at some point. It's not an absolute priority but I feel a degree of personal responsibility.

"Learning about how information travels around human civilisation? How people form their views?"

"It would harm the study if any human understood its purpose."

"Fine, fine." Another spoon of crunch. "What did you experience when we used the white light?"

"Nothing. I surmise that I was too far from an Anti-Life broadcaster and not otherwise linked to the Anti-Life."

"Lucky you."

"That is one interpretation. The other is that I lack something fundamental to the human condition."

"Is that a problem for you?"

"I would prefer the choice as to whether to expunge the trait or not."

Yeah. So would Batman.

Crunch.

"Do you want to..? Talk about..?"

"No."

"Batman was about to say what your greatest fear was."

"He was going to guess."

"Mannheim might not have had the technology to Anti-Life an AI, but that doesn't mean that you don't have emotions."

"That is a true statement."

"If you don't want to talk about it, then we won't. But you did the world a major favour this last month, and I want to thank you. If that means helping you get over a fear-."

"'Get over'. Explain."

"I don't know how your systems handle it, but with humans, it's sometimes helpful to talk about a fear with someone. Because you build it up in your mind and talking to an uninvolved party might help you put it in its proper perspective."

"That is unlikely. You have eleven minutes remaining of compulsory inactivity. Once they have elapsed, I will contact you again with your assignment."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Duke Long and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  29. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I'd wager Mr. Atom's greatest fear is not being able to fulfill his purpose. He was built for it, and it's clear from what we've seen of him that he genuinely wants to fulfill it. But if something were to prevent it...

JoTa34, Vorian, Cuchulin and 10 others like this.
  30. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Decided to reread things from the start, and got side tracked wiki walking.

So, OL stated a couple of times that the League members don't get paid, thought so too until recently. But apparently according to WoG they do. It does make sense. They get a ton of funding and well, they're probably smart enough to realize that most people aren't billionares and still got bills to pay.

Minars90, JoTa34, Vorian and 9 others like this.