1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'Beetle'. Also, when did Ted Kord become a superhero? Last I checked, Paul's influence made it so that he was fine as an inventor and company owner who could do good work through his inventions and company.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh god. Oliver Queen and OL talking? This is almost as bad as Ollie and the iconic Hawkman, Katar Hol, debating politics. At least they're not likely to come to blows. Though I doubt it could reach the coolness level of Hal and Ollie's road-trip.

I don't know what they're talking about yet, and I already get the feeling Ollie's revving up for a big screed about something.

Ah. Of course. And yes, nukes are too messy, with a tendency to flatten everything within their effective radius.

If only it were that easy in real life... Well, besides the sarcasm.

Ollie might be idealistic, but he's not that naive.

To be fair, life on Earth is fairly lucky it still exists at all, after multiple mass extinctions and at least one theorised asteroid hit.

A few tungsten rods flung from orbit could erase most any city from the face of the Earth, after all. A really big firework doesn't really compare.

Certainly be a good idea to have a few pairs of suspicious eyes on him, after all. Guy is sneaky smart. :p

Yeah, I doubt OL could ever really manage the angelic side of a debate. Too much of a realist.

...You're smart enough to know if someone's pulling something shifty, and blunt enough to confront them about it?

And somehow that's still the most normal person on the team. Says a lot about the League, huh?

Yeah, not exactly a lot of options for 'normal person' logic, are there?

Don't sound so eager, OL. Honestly, you know how super-villain you sound sometimes?

Knowing it happened is one thing, knowing details is quite another.

...I see Batman elected not to share said details, then.

Right on both counts.

Because I can understand Clark being especially worried about messing with Bruce's head. Never mind if it happened to him.

It's be kind of hard to miss, after all. I'd be more worried about him liking the change, which fortunately, he doesn't seem to have.

Got it in one. And when an Orange Lantern wants to punish themselves, it can get quite intense.

Wait, do you mean Ted Kord in tights, or Jaime Reyes in the Khaji-Da scarab suit? :confused: Because either of those things is significant for different reasons.

...Let's just stuff that idea somewhere well-buried for now, eh?

Oh come on, how bad could it be, Ollie?

Yes, that worked so well in Superman IV... :oops: Even without Lex's meddling, that would probably not have ended well eventually.

Sadly, even an idealist has to bend to reality sometimes...

Pfft. I know you heard OL's opinion of them. Like he'd want to keep them?

Ah. I see... He wants to set something up to handle the heroes, eh?

How illuminating. So Lex is either pushing for a support organisation for the League, or a more pro-active role in world affairs than what they've had thus far. But the former would be tainted by his involvement, and none of them would trust it to be on the level, while the latter would be crossing personal lines held by a lot of the League...

3. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

It's definitely not Jaime. Not only would the Illustres easily identify and try to take care of a Beetle infiltrator, but last thing I remember Mr. Zoat mentioning that the Beetle itself is probably in some safe storage and Ted Kord is not set to die anytime soon.

So it probably is Ted Kord, but I don't clearly remember when he entered superheroics either.

Cuchulin and KenNM like this.
  4. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Maybe he decided to step up offscreen due to the Anti-Life crisis?

5. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

So what does let actually want to do, because they spent the whole chapter dancing around it.

6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘regions’
    ‘you think’
    Well, depends on whether you want to really wipe out ALL life on Earth.
    ’do you’

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I believe both YJ and Zoat went with the "Dinah grew up with all the Justice Society as her honorary uncles" background from JLA Year One.

I don't feel like that fits the criteria of normal childhood even grading on the curve against her fellow Leaguers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    Prince Charon, Vorian, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is rebuilding the infrastructure actually hard? Agree on a plan, have Paul link up with Best Snek for a minute, et voila!

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Not really an option for Superman.
    I think that's correct.
    No. The idea is that if they implement a change now it's harder to complain about.
    Yes.
    He hasan't been doing much superheroing, but I don't think I wrote that he didn't do any.

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I can just change it to say 'Ted Kord' if that's better?
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That might be better, unless you would prefer to have it so that he took up the mantle of Blue Beetle because of this crisis.

Bud-E, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  12. Lord Ernest

My memory might be failing me, but from what I remember, when the Illustres started associating with Ted he noted that the latter wasn't superheroing. And since then he has been relatively busy and no particular mention has been made of him getting into the Blue Beetle identity, so that's why the mention is a bit jarring.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Ngamer11 like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

14. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

One good thing that might come of this mess (for a given value of good) is the fact that all of Earth's defenders will go nuclear (metaphorically and literally maybe) on any Reach members the very nanosecond they show up.

I think blue beetle is just a title that Kord took up during the antilife because the world needed leaders for cities/settlements. I doubt he's using the scarab, though it's possible the Anti-Life drove him to somehow awaken it on purpose or by accident.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

What happened to Mannheim? I can't imagine what is left of the world governments left him alive even with the heroes of the world vouching the Anti-Life wasn't actually him.

16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

With the way everyone was exposed to the life entity, I wonder if there’s little willingness to kill anyone among the general population? They have a strong personal impetus to preserve life. It doesn’t really matter in the comics if only superheroes are exposed, but here the life entity could have an effect on everyone

17. Threadmarks: Reconstruction (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

1st March 2013
    11:02 GMT

Superman nods.

"Yeah, I know. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Orange Lantern, do you remember when we talked about me helping people by releasing kryptonian technology to Earth?"

I raise my eyebrows. "Wait, are you actually considering it?"

"I was wondering… Did you ever think that you should have built more bleed torsion generators?"

"I considered a world where I did, and realised that it would involve me doing an awful lot of work for no real personal or planetary benefit. And that's with a safe technology." I shrug. "Then other clean power technologies entered the market, prices collapsed and I got the result I wanted."

"Everywhere they were accepted."

I nod, because I spent quite a bit of time repairing nuclear power plants last month. And clearing roads for coal shipments, and repairing pipes for pumping gas… Europe and America are switching over, but it's not happening all that fast. I think Ted Kord said there was some sort of problem getting the legislation through to rewire the United States, but I stopped worrying about it because Lex was… On it.

Mr. Queen looks puzzled. "Why wouldn't they be? It's cheap, clean-." He jerks his head my way. "It is clean, right?"

"LexCorp's generator essentially absorbs solar and galactic background radiation at extreme wavelengths and turns them into useable electricity. There might be some sort of giant monster sleeping below the Earth's crust that usually feeds on those wavelengths so now it will rise up and eat us all because it's getting denied its food, but other than that possibility it's completely safe."

"When we get out of here, check for that monster."

"Already did. Couldn't find it."

He closes his eyes for a moment. "You had to put it like that."

Superman nods. "What about the other generators that got released?"

"One's a thaumic converter and the other is an oddly efficient method for producing hydrogen. I guess they used alien technology, but they can reproduce it so it doesn't really matter."

"Which is the best?"

"The radiation converter and the thaumic converter both draw on a power source that will effectively never run out. But there's only so much exotic radiation around, and I'm not sure… There might be a point where we're trying to convert more than is intersecting with the Earth. I don't know, and I'm not sure if anyone knows. The thaumic converter distorts local magic fields, which might start being a problem if more people start learning magic. And you need magic users to build and repair them. There wasn't a problem in production, but they were trying to hire Atlanteans to expand and… We were reaching the end of the 'available' Atlantean magician workforce."

"And as more people started using them, that might start being a problem anyway."

I shrug. "Maybe. They haven't been used on a wide scale yet. Now, hydrogen is dead simple. Any half-way competent engineer could make a basic hydrogen-powered generator, so there's no shortage of people who can make the high-end ones. It needs hydrogen which is generated by… Well it used to be generated by combining methane with steam, but these days it's mostly generated using genetically engineered bacteria. The only waste product is water which means that it's as environmentally safe as it can get."

"I beg your pardon?" Mr. Queen leans forward. "Weird space energy and magic I get, but how do you take in bacteria and get out water and electricity?"

"There's plenty of hydrogen in things. Getting it out with bacteria's just more energy efficient than most alternatives. That.. one actually works in my original parallel universe as well."

"So why bother repairing nuclear reactors?"

"Because they were there, along with the infrastructure and expertise to run them. If you mean 'why weren't their governments using something better', I'm not sure."

Superman nods. "According to Lex, China has a lot of restrictions on who can own their infrastructure. He'd have had to essentially give the technology away, and the only people allowed to make money on it would be the Chinese."

"True. Every company working in China has to have a certain percentage of Chinese ownership. Was Lex asking us to forcefully bypass that?"

He nods again. "He knew that we already emptied out the Gobi Desert prison. The way he put it, if we got rid of the coal power plants and put in his radiation converters, they wouldn't have any choice but to accept what he was offering. He.. also made a pretty convincing environmental argument."

Mr. Queen nods. "China does burn an awful lot of coal."

"Which releases radiation and lead into the air as well as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and carbon particulates. China actually has smog."

"America has smog."

"It's a problem in backwards, primitive-."

Superman slight raises his right hand. "My point is, we could replace them. I could replace them."

I shrug. "Superman, if you wanted to take over the world, you should have said something a couple of weeks ago."

Mr. Queen frowns in puzzlement. "He's not talking about taking over the world. Just fixing it up a little."

"He's talking about overriding a national government when they do something stupid. And not just a small country where people might not notice." Or care. "And we're talking about doing it at a time when the national government is in a mess, and probably can't meaningfully stop us."

Mr. Queen nods. "So you think once they get organized, they're just going to undo everything."

"Remember the training exercise, when with nothing at stake the Chinese government didn't notify the Justice League?"

"That's not the same thing. We're talking about giving them stuff for free here. New reactors would let them get their whole economy started up again."

I shrug. "I could be wrong. I hope I am. But I don't think I am. They won't buy from Lex on terms he will accept because they don't want to give up control. They won't accept us switching them over on our own recognisance because it shows they've lost control. The best we could do is find a senior enough person in what's left of their government to okay it, and help that person rise to the top before anyone can stop them."

"So… Conquer the world, with extra steps."

"More 'make a deal with someone, who then conquers their own country', but basically..." I nod.

Superman regards us both with growing disquiet. "Ollie?"

Mr. Queen shrugs, leaning back in his chair. "He's not exactly wrong. What did you have in mind?"

"Kryptonian technology is a lot more advanced than human technology. Outside of some pieces of biotechnology that work with kryptonian-specific physiology, just about everything I have could improve something."

"Okay. Ah… Two options. Release designs that slightly improve things that already exist. Carbon scrubbers that are a bit more efficient that what's in use now. Or are cheaper. Slightly better solar panels that can be built using existing human technology. People will gradually switch over on their own."

"Kryptonian.. solar panels are a lot more than 'slightly' more advanced."

"Can anywhere on Earth build them?"

"A couple of places probably could." He looks pointedly at me. "I.. thought-."

"Sure, I could fabricate them, but that just makes everyone dependent on me." I shrug. "Uplift is difficult, Superman. You've seen how much progress I've made?"

He nods. "What was the other option?"

"Pick somewhere small and offer to completely uplift the place. Deliberately destroy their existing economy and culture and replace it with something that can serve as an example of what can be achieved."

Mr. Queen gives me a sideways glance. "Or just change one part. Like power generation. Making energy cheaper -and cleaner- has a whole bunch of positive knock-on effects."

"Okay. I can do that. Did you have anywhere in mind?"

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'make money from it'.

I wonder if Ollie is slightly regretting wanting to act as a conscience for the League now that he's being asked his opinion on complicated matters like this.

Considering how well Ollie and Paul are acting as two sides for an argument, will this become a regular or semi-regular thing?

19. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Yeah, taking over DC China is probably the best bet there.

20. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

...Dude, do Kahndaq. That'd be hilarious and The Mighty One would probably tell everyone to be okay with it.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Right, that is a lot bigger a step than what I thought it was. Not that any of the other options would be great either. But dropping such advanced technology on a population still recovering from a global mind-whammy might be a bit extreme, and likely to backfire...

Well, I suppose that would have depended on whether people could reproduce them. 'Give a man a fish', and all that...

Ideally, once the holdouts catch on that said clean technology is A: Cleaner and B: Cheaper, I could see them reconsidering.

Since about two weeks have passed in universe since the start of the episode. And what's the bet their equivalent of 'Big Oil' is trying to cover their beloved profits. Probably with lobbying about 'Unproven mad science' or 'Think of the cost!'

Ah, I see Lex is pulling out the Knight technology, then. About time it saw use, even if it is making Lex richer.

Because now Ollie is going to be laying awake at night sweating about 'Couldn't find it' instead of 'Nothing there.' :D And I thought Renegade was a troll.

As long as neither technology can run out of control, consuming all Magic or drying up the planet, or something like that.

Which raises the question of why is it suddenly out there now? Did someone have a breakthrough back before the Anti-Life thing and only now manage to get things together?

...And now I'm getting Cyberpunk flashbacks, with their fuel oil replacement, CHOOH2, that's produced by engineered bacteria. Made the companies that produced it extremely wealthy and powerful...

The trick is making something that can do the job, is easy to produce but won't breed out of control. Our world is still working out the first part, never mind the second or even the third...

Because they're obstinate, and being too cautious about the costs involved. It would take billions to switch over, and you have the issue of maintaining power in the process. ;) And that could make for angry voters.

Ah, Lex. Your control freak tendencies biting you in the ass.

It would also force China to work with him to maintain them, since their own engineers would struggle to do so without training.

Not on the same level, though.

And it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. But the message it would send...

Think a little, Ollie. How would the Chinese government react to an American Superhero, an icon of their ideals, interfering in the Party's sovereign affairs? 'Explosive' would be an understatement.

While playing the 'belligerent victim' card. And probably demanding reparations from anyone involved they can think of.

Yes, but again, how would they maintain them? Especially if Lex decides to play keep-away with the training and scientific knowledge need?

By proxy, at least. With the risk of said proxy being decried as a mouthpiece for 'Imperialist, capitalist American interests.'

He's really learning just how much of a headache dealing with OL's unique perspective is, isn't he?

As long as you can prevent it form being weaponised, which someone will eventually try to do, and given the hypercognitive potential of DC humans, might well manage to. Never mind what Lex will do with it, because you know he will get his hands on it no matter how they try to avoid it.

Well, there's another clean energy source for you. Just make sure they can't be turned into solar-powered death rays or something and you're fine. :p

And that issue brings it back to 'dependant on one source for paradigm-changing tech.'

I bet OL's feeling such a tingle of smugness, seeing how much Kal is struggling with this. He might not be proud of it, but he's feeling it.

Either is a good option, though the former smacks a little of a subtle form of conquest.

Well, whatever nations they approach would become pretty significant in no time. Though I agree, Kahndaq probably would jump at the chance, with a little persuasion from OL. If nothing else, though, it's good to hear that humanity is starting to step away from the 'primitive' methods of electric power generation. Saving the planet, one power plant at a time. :p

22. Eld_Tiger

Eld_Tiger Getting sticky.

Why are they bending on lex on having him control things, versus being so pessimistic on nuclear in china?

Chaoswind likes this.
  23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘LexCorp’s’?
    Extraneous ‘it’ in second sentence.
    ‘The way’
    ’dependent’

Fun chapter. I like a bit of talking about fantasy infrastructure.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Latveria.

Wait, Sokovia

I which universe are we again?

25. Lord Ernest

Both of those are Marvel.

Someone might have better knowledge than me, but DC doesn't have any or as famous fictional Eastern European countries. They have more in Africa, Middle East and Latin America, for some reason.

26. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Greece might be a good pick if they go this route. Not an enormous country, not the best economy pre-crisis, and a large tourism industry that's likely to take a long time to recover. Add in a god of economics that OL has worked with before, a new chief god with technology in his portfolio, and Eris being OL's patron, it seems like a perfect target (assuming they can get Themyscara and Olympus back).

Alternatively Khandaq - Black Adam would probably be on-board with a full uplift of his country.

27. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

I don’t think Greece would work tbh, OL’s a Themysciran citizen, not mainland Greece, plus using the crisis to basically topple the Greek Orthodoxy woth a resurgence of Olympian influence while perfectly in character for Paul, might get pushback from the rest of the League, if nothing else, they do not need the added headaches of making such a transition on top of everything else.

On the other hand, Teth Adom is a close friend, is very competent while equally as open to anything that’ll make his country more prosperous and thriving. Plus, OL did note that thanks to Teth Adom using his power to block out the Anti-Life in his territory, it’s likely Khandaq will expand if only due to the rest of the continent being on the brink of collapse or facing tons of issues and Khandaq being the only island of stability there. So uplifting Khandaq as a Step 1, then, once it shows results, spreading it to the rest of the newly acquired territory seems like it’ll do the most good.

Cuchulin, CTrees, Rebu and 3 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Ngamer11 like this.
  29. DougA

DougA Getting out there.

Or both Greece and Khandaq, and maybe one or two others elsewhere. That would allow the beneficiaries to compete with each other, increasing the speed of results.

Cuchulin and CTrees like this.
  30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Hmm... Clark's a farm kid. I'd say give him something he already gronks to focus on first.

Grab the Kryptonian Farmer's Almanac and head for...Not Just Kansas, but maybe all the plains states. Hit Farm Country, which needs more local food production to cover the damaged international shipping and trade. And likely more man power from the sheeda raids and Anti-Life.

Get some local Crystal Grown Solar Energy production and Kryptonian Robots tilling the fields. Get the Bread Basket producing again, and Call in OL's 'teach some folks to use Elf Gates' to handle shipping?

Get that set up as your Example to The World, then open it up for Local Franchises or just Open Source the stuff in use....China will snap it up on their own.

EDIT: Also gives a chance to get some Kryptonian Brand Foodstuffs out there, which could be sold with a percentage of funds going to charity...at least once there's an economy enough to support it. Always got to remember the power of Marketing.