1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. For both the SI and Grayven.
    Okay, but did I call either of my Crime Syndicate worlds that? I thought I called them -14 and -16?

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

You did. Assuming you make a world similar to the Earth 3 of the New 52, maybe you can make it Earth -3 here?

3. Mr Zoat

Since I know nothing about Earth 3 I can't really comment. Is it anything like Earth 2 from Grant Morrison's run?

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Hellish Content (supplementary, SI Option)
    Mr Zoat

27th March 2013
    07:10 GMT +2

Dr. Roquette looks up as I pull out the chair opposite her.

"You're looking better."

I sit down as she looks down, nodding self-consciously.

"Y-eah. Between those tablets you gave me and… Actually seeing my nanobots actually help people, I…" She breathes in deeply and then breathes out again. "I haven't even wanted to drink again." She picks up her glass of orange juice. "Juice only."

"I'm glad to hear it. But are you feeling better? Or are you just changing your behaviour?"

She takes a sip. "No, no, I do actually feel better." She frowns mildly. "What was in those tablets, anyway? Some sort of space addiction-suppressant? Because I think I had some sort of reaction-."

"Psilocybin."

She looks up from her yoghurt, eyes widening slightly as she watches me for a sign that I'm joking. "Oh. That explains the hallucinations and why you told me not to operate machinery for four hours."

"The League developed several psychoactive chemicals to try and fight off the Anti-Life, but… Unless you're being continuously exposed, psilocybin works just as well and has less risk of causing brain or liver damage."

"Do you want to have the tablets I've got left over back-?" She blinks. "Are these illegal in Greece?"

"If they are, then I doubt that they're enforcing it."

She breathes in slowly and then snorts the air out through her nostrils before taking another spoonful of honey-drizzled yoghurt.

"No problems with your co-workers or with the government?"

She thinks for a moment, then swallows. "No, everyone's… Doing their best. If.. anything, the Finance Ministry is being too accommodating."

"How do you mean?"

"Usually, applying for funding is a lot more adversarial. Here, they say they'll give anything for a miracle…" She frowns a little. "And I actually can. I guess I just sort of assumed it would be in testing forever."

"Under normal circumstances it might well. But whatever-."

Wait. Wait just a-.

Did-? Anti-Lifeing the Earth do something to Boss Smiley? We found that people with strong morals and a strong sense of purpose managed to cope better than people who didn't. People most in tune with him would have been hit the hardest, and… Been Justified? Would he feel that? There's a certain logic to the thought, but… Ugh, I don't even know if he actually exists, much less have any way to work out what could hurt him.

She's looking at me.

"Is something-?"

"Whatever unfortunate events conspire to prevent that sort of thing don't appear to apply when people are this desperate. It's something that I never managed to understand, how this Earth could have so much highly advanced technology and yet use it so little."

She nods. "I remember that talk you gave. So, what, Mannheim beat the special interests?"

"Could be. Or they actually want this to succeed because there won't be a civilisation for them to run from the shadows unless things change."

He did say that he didn't mind a little change. But once this becomes part of the new normal anywhere, then it won't be possible to dislodge it. Even if they embargo Greece completely… Greece won't need to import anything.

It's not true post-scarcity, due to the throughput limits and the fact that most manufacturing is still better done with dedicated machines and operators. But it's starting to look a little more like that than what we had before.

"How's the rest of the world?"

"China's pretty interesting. Who knew that a civilisation of a billion people could coast on pure inertia like that?"

"Shouldn't their currency have collapsed?"

"It did, but they didn't notice. Currency collapses hurt the middle class. China… Does have a middle class, but it's relatively small. They've… Basically put as many people as they can on public works programs-. Did you know that the Chinese construction industry is massively corrupt?"

"It doesn't surprise me."

"And I don't mean a few back-handers to get a contract corrupt. I mean full-on Victorian 'this tunnel was supposed to have five layers of brick, it's got half of one and now it's collapsed and killed hundreds of people' corrupt. There's plenty of work to do fixing it and just about enough transportation and food production to prevent mass starvation. Good old communist community spirit."

"How can they afford that?"

"Who needs currency when you have commissars?"

She frowns. "And people are just.. accepting that?"

I shrug. "There's no locus for opposition. With the Communist Party being the only political party and having representatives on the board of every company of any size, there's no avenue for counterargument. Everyone's pretty much trying to keep things as normal as possible, doing their best to follow whatever orders there are… The fact that all the deaths have left holes in the political structure doesn’t matter. If someone tried that in America, they'd be shot. In China, it-." Hm. "What do you know about the Battle of Kursk?"

"It was a battle in World War Two.. between the Nazis and the Soviet Union. But that's about all."

"The Russians built huge earthworks to defend the city, with almost the entire population of the city joining in with the digging. The Chinese are doing that for the entire country until someone has a better idea, or until they've got a functioning country. Probably… Reorganise the national government while regional governments keep everyone too tired to complain, then… Issue a new currency?"

"I haven't really kept up… What's America doing?"

"Barter, digital currency or Justice League tokens. The government tried printing more dollars while they were already in a period of hyperinflation, then tried to pass a law to force businesses to accept the dollar." I shake my head. "We were this close-" I hold up my right hand with thumb and forefinger close together. "-to seeing the return of state nullification, and it looks like a couple might reinstate precious metal currency. Honestly, they're probably going to have to knock a couple of zeroes off the dollar too when things settle down."

"No public works programs?"

"Americans won't tolerate being treated in the way that the Chinese expect to be treated. The Federal Government can't pay for a public works program with anything that anyone who could supply one would take. If they had any sense they'd butt out and let the American people fix things from the ground up."

"And how's… Ah, England doing?"

"The British government is too incompetent to do as much damage as the US government is. And as a result, small scale solutions are sort of emerging. They've turned a lot of areas of grassland into allotments, put farms back into production now that all of the fallowing and tree subsidies have vanished. Thanks to that and my portals the country can just about feed itself, though there are a lot fewer cars on the roads."

LexCorp managed to pull an ultra-density battery out of its collective bottom, which combined with the improved power generation systems most advanced countries have been setting up means that cost-effective long-range electric vehicles are now a reality. The Justice League is paying for a lot of them for goods transportation with League-currency, which… Means that LexCorp is the most stable financial concern on the planet. But… That's definitely a problem for another day.

"What about the rest of Europe?"

"Where do I start?"

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'give'.

Hopefully this means Boss Smiley will be a non-issue for the foreseeable future.

That should say 'there'.

That should say 'an'.

Duke Long, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

To be fair, the last time we saw her, she was wallowing in depression and self-abuse of a sort. Anything would be an improvement over that. And having her technology actually being used for things now is probably helping her rebuild her self-confidence and ego.

Because the latter thing don't necessarily mean the former is occurring. It could just be getting buried until she breaks again.

The old 'magic mushrooms', eh? I suppose it's as good a treatment as any. Hard for depression to get any traction amidst all the wonderful colours.

Desperate times and desperate measures, eh? Safe bet they still have them tucked away in a vault somewhere, with 'In case of mind-altering global attack' on the label.

And if she might happen to need an occasional booster shot, well, easier to let her work on her own cognisance.

Pfft. She's bringing practically-magic super-tech to the country. Unless they're an idiot, I don't expect anyone would get in her way.

What, like 'You need more money? Here, have all the money!' :V

Again, desperate times. People will lunge for any lifeline, whatever the future dangers.

Gee, couldn't happen to a nicer...x3 Pfft-hahaha! No, no, couldn't finish that sentence with a straight face. Seriously, fuck the smiling bastard.

Ah, right. the grinning fiend isn't public knowledge. For good reason, I'd say.

More like they collapsed under their own unwieldiness? Not much point propping up cartels that can't help them rebuild.

To be fair, what would the objectors decry as the danger? Grey Goo scenarios?

Rebuilding slowly, I bet. And even less like the real world than most big-name comic-book universes.

Honestly, most people wouldn't be needing it anyway. 'Grow food, trade food locally' would be a likely practice for a lot of people.

Not in the least. There are so many videos of shitty construction online... :eek: Surface cladding peeling off in strips onto roads, brittle iron reinforcing rods, surfacing bricks made of cardboard boxes sheathed in concrete... Can you imagine the DC China being any better?

"'Afford'? If Great Patriotic Nation commands the People to serve, they serve!"

Because it's been like that for years, and they're only being more blatant now because of the disaster?

And a Wikipedia link if you haven't time for a video: Battle of Kursk. Or for my personal favourite channel: Extra History's Battle For Kursk series.

Hmm... Sort of a return to the provincial system of early Dynasties? :D History really does turn like wheels.

So, massive financial recession. Easily knocking them back down to what, 1980s value? Even less?

I bet several states are already considering secession again. Not wanting to be dragged down by the 'dead weight'...

And a bit more horsepower, eh?

...Yes, Lex hasn't been sitting on something like that for years, of course not... :rolleyes:

How about the neighbours? Albania, Macedonia and Bulgaria, for example. They'll be sitting pretty, and likely eyeing up the Hellenic states' upturn with very green gazes...

Well, they do say the modern world is like two bad days from total collapse, or was it three meals from anarchy? :confused: Either way, things were already unstable before the Anti-Life, what with the Sheeda having their fun. The only reason the Earth we see in comics looks anything like ours is authorial fiat, after all. So it's always nice to see stories where reality gets to ensue realistically.

7. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Germany and Somalia, the contrast should be fascinating.

Ardy and BartlettMagic like this.
  8. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

And no one hits the Reset Button.

"Oh no, Darkseid invaded and killed too many people. Flash, we need you to run around the world really fast and rewind spacetime."

Damian Wayne: "Hold on, I just got a super hot goth girlfriend! This is bullshit!"

9. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Even if he doesn't feel that/get more injured than everyone else was, if he needs to work through intermediaries he's going to find that there basically aren't any, all of his existing co-conspirators and promising potential recruits who he could easily influence are all going to be wrecks, while the people he'd have more trouble influencing are going to be holding up better.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    kraryal, Alexandercctv and Eld_Tiger like this.
  10. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

It's not the people he killed, it's the damage he did to the planet. Earth wouldn't be habitable for much longer after what Apokolips' mining efforts did to it, and the League remnants didn't have the means to evacuate what was left of the population and find somewhere else to set up shop, so they had little choice but to hit the Reset Button.

11. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

huh…I’d think the demonic British government would be acting in this moment of vulnerability

Cuchulin, Kiden, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Didn't they get burned out during the Angel Invasion? I think the survivors disavowed any connection or something like that, and considering Mammon is in charge now, who knows if any dealings would have been kept anyway.

Cuchulin, kraryal, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  13. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Finally back to something interesting.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Honestly, even if he's still around he may want to make Earth more advanced and secure to a certain level so that the likes of Darkseid can't do that again.

"there won't"

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, if it's not a spoiler, can we know the current status of the Light now that the Anti-Life is no longer on Earth? I hope at least Boss Smiley has been rendered a non-issue as Paul speculates.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  16. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

god i hope so. i hate that yellow bastard.

so they're in Greece then? i can't remember, isn't she a Cadmus geneticist?

let me know if i get this right: with everything going on, Greece was focused on as the emergent nation to focus on, so every idealistic/practical reform possible is happening there? with Roquette here and not in Star City, that suggests to me that the best and the brightest are being lured to Greece to take part in the utopian Renaissance. i can't remember if Ted Kord survived, but will Kordtech be moving to Greece? i doubt LexCorp would ever be anything but American.

i especially love the ideas of all of these companies moving to Greece, where the new tech-savvy Heph rules the roost, and has a population that would be pretty inclined to go along with Hellenism if they aren't already. that would probably be a pretty big power boost to the pantheon. has it been addressed yet as to if Themyscira has been found, and what it's role in the new Greece might be?

i also can't wait to see what's going on down in Brazil. i feel like if Euanthe and Ivy came out of things alive, that could either be a new paradise or a very militant Green. i'm hoping for paradise because the idea of Pope-level Green Priestess is super interesting. i wonder what kind of interactions Swamp Thing would have with Euanthe or Ivy.

Cuchulin, RamiroGalletti and kraryal like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, a nanotech expert.
    What? No, they're Greek Orthodox Christians. Most of them have a strong negative association to Hellenism.

18. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Maybe change to "exists anymore" since we established a while back that he was real, not just created for the purpose of Angel hacking, just before the various Johns Constantine were reamalgamated.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Phili

Phili Getting out there.

Does anyone remember what the name of the barrier is that the MC mentioned for civilizations that develop before their planet gets coal? I can't remember it, and I'm not sure if it is a real thing or not, and I think it was in the part when he was giving his presentation at KordTech about how humanity was way behind where it should be technology-wise because they just ignore all the super-scientists, so people like Sivana end up becoming villains. Anyone remember either the name of the coal barrier, or the Episode # or name of when he does his presentation in the index so I can Ctrl+F the word "coal" to find it myself?

P.S. I've been trying to find another thing the MC mentioned, but I can't remember where it is in the story, and I wanted to know if it was real or not. The thing where the British government (it might have been British military or navy?) had a test that would have people come up with response plans for things like "being invaded by elves from another dimension" and the best response plan would officially become the actual response plan. I think he might have said it was a test to be promoted to officer rank or something? I really can't remember, and I can't find it in the story. Can anyone tell me if it is real, tell me where in the story it is (just a link to the right chapter would be fine), and if Mr. Zoat provided a link when the subject was mentioned?

Duke Long and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Avleb's Wall. It's a name I made up.
    According to the author Charles Stross, it's real, and the plan for the biblical apocalypse was last updated under Tony Blair. I haven't checked for myself.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I just reread this part as found an error. That should say 'give'.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. I wonder if they have a plan for invasion by cybernetic humanoids who are vulnerable to gold in their respiratory modules.

BR549 likes this.
  23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

That seems incredibly specific and is already assuming a weakness for an unknown and unidentified foe. Maybe they have plans for the Machine Uprising/AI Rebellion, or for an invasion of cybernetic aliens, or a Civil War with Techno-Fetishists Cyborgs. Those seems like scenarios they would have if they already have one for the Biblical Apocalypse, but assuming that the enemy is already vulnerable to breathing gold seems a bit counterintuitive to the exercise of coming up with plans to fight or survive the scenarios.

Or is this a reference that I'm not getting?

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Mid- to late-classic era Cybermen.

Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Probably.

26. Threadmarks: Hellish Content (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

Day 22
    28th March 2013
    06:53 GMT

Aaah-hhhaaa-haaa-aaaaah…

"…soul futures, which naturally requires an extensive network of information brokers for the participants to predict market fluctuations."

First came the First, cast beyond God's sight.

Huuh. Ah-aaaaah…

Then came the Second and Third, to counterbalance the First.

No-no… Come on. Focus.

Then came the Lightbringer, seeking escape and knowledge. He was a part of Creation, and brought Creation with him.

I try… Pushing what Mammon told me from my mind, but it's… It's not working. It's worming into my soul. It's not the Anti-Life, it's…

It's personal.

From the bridge emerged Demonkind, forever apart from and yet a part of Creation.

I try focusing on my surroundings. This part of the… Exchange, is more modern than most of Hell. A bit… Eighties stock exchange, simple computer screens and chunky mobile telephones. Demons in shirts cluster in various places, and the screens are showing… Images and bar charts that don't… Don't mean much to me.

The demons are… Cooperating. I don't see any sign that they actually like each other, but files and minor coins are being exchanged… Peacefully. Neither party is reluctant. And I can see demons who are clearly female and not succubae, which is interesting. Male and female alike look like thinner versions of Blathoxi, but… Hungrier.

The Nature of Demonkind is not the Nature of Mankind, for Mankind is part of Creation and Demonkind is apart from Creation.

It's like a… Like something's pushing my soul away from the world. And if I had to guess why… My goal is to unify all peoples in a perfect society, even though I know that is impossible. But here the Source itself is telling me to take a hike! Why?

Nggh.

Blathoxi regards me curiously. Yes, regardless of my spiritual defences he's almost certainly picking up on the fact that something is wrong with me.

"What… Ah, what's the payout? How are their investments realised?"

"If the investor owns an asset when the debtor exits the market, then their assets pass to the investor."

"They take their soul."

Blathoxi rolls his eyes. "By default, a standard position involves all assets, material and immaterial. Naturally, taking possession of worldly goods has the benefit of reducing energy wastage in satisfying future infernal public offerings, but we also have a sales department."

H-rg-uh.

It nearly fits. Nearly. There shouldn't be anything eldritch about providing a service, but it… Still…

"I'm… I'm sorry, I thought that you answered requests using magic. Are you saying that you buy solutions to requests using previously acquired assets?"

"Lord Mammon encourages us to multi-vector product delivery. So long as the requested service is rendered, it hardly matters how."

"Can external parties make investments?"

"Certainly. This is a free market, after all."

"And can the initial party buy their…" Ah, I can't come up with the investor-speak word. "Their soul back?"

"Again, certainly. It's actually quite common with our senior clients."

"Cult-leaders offer sacrifices?"

"Among other techniques. While the seller sets the price, souls which acquire… Certain resonances, accumulate value. It may well be in an investor's long-term interest to liquidate their position and re-enter the market at a later stage."

"And… If a cult-leader buys himself out of all outstanding contracts and then dies..?"

"We do have a sin-eating department. It's a specialist market, since it doesn't help with people who want to reach the Silver City."

"So cult-leaders wound end up here anyway."

"Not here. Having purchased their own stock the Exchange has no hold on them. Usually they would end up in Err, and thus are no longer our proper concern."

"So… If a Hindu magician wanted to ensure a more advantageous reincarnation…"

"I believe that you understand the service."

"And what do the Hindu gods think of that?"

"We haven't had any complaints so far. It only allows them to escape the consequences of their vices. It does not help them achieve nirvana." He stops, smiling faintly. "In fact, I rather suspect that it works against it."

"Do such mortals ever come here?"

"Only very occasionally. Quite a collectors item."

It's… So… Logical. But the rest…

"I don't suppose that we can offer you a deal of some sort, can we?"

"My soul goes to the Source when I die. I wouldn't want to cheat you."

"We do broker other sorts of deal, Mister Grayven. We can acquire almost anything."

I raise my eyebrows. "The bones of my grandfather?"

"For a fee, we could investigate."

"My grandfather is on the Source Wall. And he was alive when he went on there."

"For a large fee, we could investigate."

"I appreciate the offer, but I have nearly everything I want, and what's left I'll get from the First."

"That would be out of character for him."

"We have an agreement, and everything that you and Mammon… And my general demonology reading says is that the letter of the agreement is binding. If the First wants to pay the penalty on a contract solemnised with his own magic… Sure, he could, but I just don't see how it's worth it. I don’t think I've angered him enough."

"Then the gain will be in some other area of his operations."

I shrug. "Sure, I assumed that. But that's the point of capitalism, isn't it? A series of voluntary exchanges where each gains something they value more than what they give up?"

He nods. "We use that phrase extensively in our advertising literature and sales spiels."

"Come on now. Everyone knows that you shouldn't trust advertisements." Or demons. "That's barely even lying. I-."

I look around as a door slams open and a demon in a state of some distress rushes in, a bundle of paper clutched in one hand. He heads over to a cluster of investors and… Starts talking. We're too far away for me to easily hear-.

Numbers on the screens start to move a lot.

"Excuse me, Mister Grayven. We've finished our tour, and I believe this needs my personal attention. One of my aides can show you out."

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Forgot to threadmark.

Duke Long, Cuchulin, Rogos and 6 others like this.
  28. PJCG

PJCG Getting sticky.

What's happening to him?

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This is an interesting reaction. Could New Gods have some kind of problem about hearing this story for some reason? Or is this only for the Renegade?

That should say 'on'.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"and brought"

Either listening to an economic lecture is so boring that it mimics the effects of Anti-Life, which is possible, or this is an attack by the First.

Which means that he could be using Gabriel the way he was used in the Paragon side during the Angel invasion of Hell, or the First has a piece of Anti-Life, either by getting it from Darkseid or by simple collecting it himself over his long life.

Or renegade has some wounds left over from when he was hit with it and even though it's gone, the wounds remain and the First is somehow harming him through them.

Or Actually Grayven had some in his system.

Or New Gods just weren't built to last this long in a place that's technically outside of creation.

Well Blathoxi seems to be fairly high ranking, so his ambitions may be realized, but these others aren't so they're still ambitious.

"telling"

And this could mean that my idea about New Gods not being made to last in Hell is true.

That could also be why the First asked him to stay.

He's probably an expert on New Gods given his long life and connection to a cosmic level divine being.

Guessing the angels don't like cheaters.

And to beings that may have experienced nirvana, a lack of it is probably more horrifying than anything else.

Yeah, it may be difficult to learn from mistakes and change your behavior towards more positive aspects if you don't face consequences for it.

"deals"

But the First isn't a demon, so he may not be so bound.

You have something that can hurt him.

That pisses him off.

Duke Long, kerleth, PJCG and 8 others like this.