1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So I just looked it up, and now I'm left scratching my head.

Because in 1997, the computers at Stargate Command wouldn't have even had Wifi capability.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Vaermina, I assume you’re questioning how the ring is able to scan their computers. I’m pretty sure wi-fi or any other sort of connectivity is not necessary, because the ring can just directly scan the internals of the computers and get data that way. I think this has been established previously in the story, though it is possible that I am wrong.

Frank Iannetta, Rebu, CTrees and 4 others like this.
  3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

You must have been reading another fic for this past decade because a lack of Wifi has never stopped the ring from entering systems and stealing information, all that is required was for Paul to want it hard enough and for no bullshit like magic to get in the way.

4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

.... Wait, I think you may have stumbled onto something. This would explain like 99% of Vaermina's complaints

5. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

The easy one would be through the MALP and drone links there which work even through the gate, I believe there is a radio thing there.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It scans computers by accessing through either a physical or wireless connection.

Isolated air gaped systems are in fact his natural enemy.

Yup, but they wouldn't be sending/receiving unless a MALP was under active control.

He'd basically have to create a hard line connection to the base computers with a ring construct, spoof an activation command for the MALP sending/receiving system, hide the activation and power draw from the transmission array, and then keep that up for however long it takes the ancient analog transmitter to slowly send the data to his ring.

And well, given the first step of that is "create a hard line connection to the base computers with a ring construct", why do the rest at all? ;)

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Chaoswind

That was literally at the start of the fic when Paul had no experience using his ring. Its been established for YEARS now that Paul can get into unprotected systems fairly easily if he "wants" to hard enough, with one of the only things stopping him being magic.

This Paul already has between 3 to 4 years of experience digging into advanced computer systems and scanning shit unnoticed so in that regard he is a veteran even if he is lacking when it comes to combat.

Lord Ernest, Xjalnoir and Ardy like this.
  8. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

There are several other things that have some kind of wireless connection in the series and we don't know how secure those are.

Later on with the Alpha and other sites, they also have entire data dumps that happen automatically there.

A more general WiFi setup is also directly possible considering it's not that far ahead of tech capabilities at that point, and you have the recurring issue that the SGC was retrofitted from the decommissioned missile silo/secure storage facility very rapidly in show, and you also had several points where there was wireless data transfers...and the SGC does, also, have alien tech that would do the exact same thing that they could retrofit for their own use since they did capture several Goa'uld probe "grenade" spheres.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Chaoswind

This argument is pointless because its been already established that the Paul's can dig into "air gapped" systems, if they WANT to hard enough and Paulmon has at minimum 3 years of experience as a lantern digging into databases with his ring.

The only problems Paulmon has mentioned its gaining access to systems that are non operational/inert as digging into them would need him to turn them on first and that could be noticeable.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This Paul only has the limited Goa'uld tech database and a once a day Lantern recharge. (Because no central power battery link means limited recharge, something already established in this story.)

The Paul you're referencing had training from other lanterns, multiple alien technological databases, advanced human technology databases, training in magic, above 100% charge rings, enlightenment, and the Ophidian. And even then I'm not sure you're actually remembering it right.

Yes, but those are all later on.

In fact, if I remember right the first occurrence was about two years in the future after the SGC had switched to the Mark II MALP's.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Indeed, Paul has mentioned in the past 'magical hacking' and when asked to explain, he goes on to talk about how data is literally physically stored on a computer and so even without wifi, so long as there are no anti ring protections, he can literally scan the physical data at range.

What I remember is specifically when they were in Minion. He has a whole discussion
    In fact, here is the scene

I see no reason why Paulmon can't do that.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because that level of scanning detail was gained when he was possessed by the Ophidian and gained enlightenment?

At least, that's what I recall. Might be misremembering given how long it's been.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I can't recall either and I'm not willing to dig for a relevant quote. Partially cus I'm tired and partially because finding a relevant chapter for that is not worth the effort imo.

Vaermina likes this.
  14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Speaking of, any chance we're going to get details on what the war aims of the SGverse USA are in this conflict? Realistically, they would have some, but the writers of the show might not have bothered thinking about it, or might have contradictory ideas.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Chaoswind

And that is relevant why?

The argument is that is been established for years that it's possible to scan and steal information from systems, and such capabilities are only limited by the NEED/WANT of the user and whether the system is protected by magic bullshit or not.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Okay, but then why was he limited to the SGC?

17. Ardy

He wasn't? Where are you even getting that from? Like, he doesn't care about non-SGC stuff because he has other shit to do, but where do you find an implication that he can't scan beyond the base?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Lord Ernest likes this.
  18. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Some of their other things involved uses of the Goa'uld sensor "grenades" that they could tap into with the base computer early on in some of the expanded material as well as a laptop early on...because they could be acquired and reprogrammed in the field.

Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I'd also point out the SGC had an unpowered Ancient database in storage. So if he scanned everything like that his ring should now have a complete copy of the Ancients database.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Ardy

that didn’t answer my question

21. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I'm going to agree with you that Ancient security was pretty good. It's s likely a fair bit better than 1990s cutting edge Earth computers, or even Goa'uld data storage.

There's not really any good reason to assume that the (quick, resistance free) data dump from the SGC computers would have been able to penetrate the Ancient database. If that's even currently on base instead of at Area 51.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Aside for Ba'al becoming Supreme System Lord, most of the time changes I remember probably wouldn't affect him. They'd happen, then unhappen, and things would continue.

23. Threadmarks: Starring (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

9th October 1999
    13:38 MDT

"…is our lab."

Major Carter opens the door and leads the way inside.

I look around the science laboratory/workshop with some interest. It's far more sophisticated than anything I ever worked with at school, though thanks to Am-heh the partially-disassembled goa'uld devices on display are more familiar than the human analytical machines being used to study them.

"Mine's better."

"Maybe you can show me if I visit Syrania."

"I'd be happy to. You, I'm happy to invite." I frown. "Do you really have time to do research as well as your field missions?"

Her eyebrows rise for a moment. "Without wanting to say anything I might be called to testify about in the Hague, most of our missions are focused on finding technology to help with defending the Earth. Taking what I find apart and working out how it works is a part of my field missions."

"Ah." She looks curious. "Goa'uld are sometimes accused of only being able to copy technology that other species developed. It's pleasant to watch humans do things in the exact same way."

"It's not.. quite the same."

"I-" I nod. "-think it is. We dig up ancient technology, you dig up ancient technology…"

"But I've got access to teams of thousands of people who can work on reverse engineering anything we find."

I nod. "Which is why I'm trying to develop a similar technology base. Literally any goa'uld can outperform any human scientist, but we can't beat those numbers. We've stagnated as a society."

"And that's why you're trying to carry out an industrial revolution."

"And why I'm happy to talk to Earth. Or the United States, at least. My ideal solution involves the System Lords agreeing to leave Earth alone and for both sides to respect one another's borders. Fighting you doesn't get us anything, it just-. Apophis attacked you because you killed Ra and he wanted to establish his credentials before the other System Lords as Ra's successor. But Heru'ur wasn't ever going to decide not to fight him, so… Who was he trying to prove himself to? I haven't been able to check everywhere, but were you even using your stargate between your original journey to Abydos and the time when Apophis attacked you?"

"Setting up Stargate Command took-."

I nod. "You weren't, right. So he just.. stuck his arm in a meat grinder to prove a point… To himself, because he still hadn't gotten over Ra becoming Supreme System Lord ahead of him. I really wish you people hadn't killed Ra."

"He was planning to send a naquada-enhanced nuke through the stargate to Earth."

"And how did the nuke get there?"

She considers that for a moment, then shrugs awkwardly.

"Besides, if you rotate the stargate so that the open end is facing the ceiling, sending the bomb through probably wouldn't work. He'd think the Earth had a new crater, Earth would be fine, and your team could just dial back after he left."

"Did Ra know Earth's location?"

"Yes, of course he did, but he did nothing with that knowledge for three thousand years."

"Why?"

"Why? Because he had what he needed and Earth didn't have any rare resources." I shrug. "Usually, leaving human-inhabited worlds to their own devices doesn't cause problems. You must have seen enough worlds that the goa'uld have abandoned to know that."

"We're not the only technologically advanced human world."

"Sure, but how many are advanced enough to have faster than light travel? Because that's the point where they actually become a problem. With anything else, a mid-tier underlord can bombard them into dust with a single ha'tak. Or an asteroid and a couple of rocket motors."

"Apophis sent two ha'taks to Earth and we're still here."

"Yes, and no doubt you could do that again tomorrow with no warning-." I bow my head. "I'm sorry, that was unnecessarily threatening. And I know about your favoured status under the Protected Planets Treaty, and the System Lords are nowhere near ready for a new war with the asgard. But… You do need to understand that the only reason you're still here is that no one who could have dealt with you bothered to do so for three thousand years."

"We're working on that."

"You've seen our ships, our hyperdrives and you've got naquada. Given your industrial power, you could probably start building your own ships within a few years." I shake my head. "Honestly, through… It seems to me that you'd be best advised to cut down your stargate usage. You need to keep buying raw material that can't be found on Earth, but every encounter with us risks drawing attention that you're not ready for."

She doesn't look impressed.

"Now, once you have a few ships, things become different."

"You said that you can't sell us a ha'tak, and that's the only goa'uld ship that can fight other ha'taks."

"No, but I could get a team onboard a functioning ha'tak. Even a shipyard that was constructing one. You would have to pretend to be a human from Syrania who was there to learn the 'higher mysteries', but Lord Mahes already knows what I'm trying to do. He wouldn't question it. You could learn our ship-building techniques directly."

"And what do you want in return?"

I take a step closer, maintaining eye contact. "I'd need to be able to show Lord Bastet that the studying was happening on Syrania, so you would have to be based there. And teaching my people everything that you learn."

She glances aside. "I don't speak Akkadian. I don't think any of our scientists do."

"So we teach my people English. We'll have to do that anyway. I'll even throw in goa'uld tools and equipment."

"That's-. An interesting offer. I-."

The laboratory door opens and Teal'c enters, taking a moment to consider the two of us before speaking. "General Hammond has asked me to inform you that the stargate is available. You may return to Syrania."

"Shol'va-." I smile, taking care to make it obviously awkward. "Teal'c." He raises his eyebrows, looking unimpressed. "I have an offer for you."

"I am not interested."

"Now now, hear me out. You hate the goa'uld, yes?"

"We have been your slaves for nine thousand years."

"And I don't like you because you want to break the oath your ancestors made while still keeping all of the benefits. But it occurred to me that if you gave up those benefits, then you wouldn't have that moral obligation. And since you hate us and all our work, you must hate the fact that we have such an impact on your physiology. So how about it?" I extend my left hand in mock-benediction. "I can remove your prim'ta and all of the biotech supporting it from your body. Right now. You can carry on your life as an untainted human, with no obligation to the goa'uld. You wouldn't even be a shol'va any more. You'd still be a traitor, a backstabber and an oathbreaker, but only to your fellow servants of Apophis."

I step closer to him, reaching out with my glowing left hand.

"I can just-."

He takes a step backwards away from me. And I smile.

"So I was right. You want the benefits but don't want to pay the costs. How contemptible. Please let General Hammond know that I will be returning shortly."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"focused"

Not really.

Humans have thousands of years of developing their own tech before they even got to the Stargate.

Goa'uld on the other hand don't seem to really do that and just steal tech.

That's not necessarily true.

Goa'uld may have their parents' knowledge, but they may not necessarily be all that smart.

I can potentially memorize something about quantum physics.

That doesn't mean I'd understand it.

And even if they gain the understanding, that doesn't mean they'd understand something new.

You offered to change his biology on a fundamental level a few seconds ago, using a method he has never seen or heard of before, and who you may not have even really used, since the Jaffa you hang around probably don't want to change.

Even people that would like to change their bodies wouldn't take you up on that offer.

The fact that he sees you as a scum-sucking parasite that he's known for like less than a hour and who insulted him and his allies is not doing your sales pitch any favors.

25. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

I really don't understand why this Paul is so hostile to the star gate people.

I get he's pretending to be a Goa'uld but it seems to go beyond that. That last dig at Teal'c for example. That feels like a bit much.

Did Paul really not like the Stargate show or something?

26. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

"Do you want a sudden life-changing bodily alteration from someone you don't trust, just for a moral victory?"

"No."

"Bitch."

Sonder, kerleth, Taisei and 41 others like this.
  27. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

That isn't the point. The point is to take away the moral high ground.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul's that choose a side like to needle the other side if they think that side has wronged them.

It's actually a fairly prominent trait among Paul's that seem to pick the less savory sides, like this one has.

I think Zoat mentioned that since no Goa'uld would like a traitor Jaffa, then Paul was going to act like he doesn't like him to keep up appearances.

He doesn't even remember the show.

None of the Paul's remember the setting they are in.

He only remembers the movie.

29. AshKing

AshKing Lord of Procrastination

If you reread the start of the story you can see the effects of the people he works with has on him; regular path and the renegade path

30. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Orange light highlights in group out group dynamics.