• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"You got one slave right there."

"I-. Ooh, you want to talk to my host." I shrug. "Okay. Just a moment."

Honestly, it would be easy to explain that Paul's "Host" has simply become a part of Mammons psyche after spending thousands of years being connected and experiencing a psychic device altering both their thinking processes. So, while they are separate entities, overall, they are one being in how they think and act. Similar to the Tok'ra and how both host and symbiote has full access to eithers feelings and emotions and act as a singular individual, but are two people, just more extreme.

Honestly, it would be easy to explain that Paul's "Host" has simply become a part of Mammons psyche after spending thousands of years being connected and experiencing a psychic device altering both their thinking processes. So, while they are separate entities, overall, they are one being in how they think and act. Similar to the Tok'ra and how both host and symbiote has full access to eithers feelings and emotions and act as a singular individual, but are two people, just more extreme.
But they would know that's not true?

These are people who do actual scientific research about things, so he shouldn't be able to just pull bullshit out of his and have everyone believe him.

In the comics it can go either way, sometimes they are semi-tansparent sometimes they look like normal people in a variation of the OLC uniform.

In the comics constructs can be colored as realistic illusions instead of being just one color.

Oblivion, a living construct accidentally made by Kyle, once stated "With all apologies to Kermit the Frog, it's not easy not being green."

That seems to be one of the capabilities Zoat has removed from power rings for this story, so solid looking orange snake would seem to be the best that could be done here.

Wait is this the same Paul that ends up in Gate? This would be a funny explanation for how he ended up as a ring without a body, and Gate= Stargate is also fun

Likewise, if he goes with the "brain dead clone" story, then the host's mind would essentially be a copy of the symbiote's.

Why would there be a symbol on anything but the ring? Lanterns don't have to wear the uniform, and constructs don't have the symbol imprinted on them either.

Oh, just realized. If anyone suspects that 'There is no Ghou'ld here" they can test is with a mild electric shock to disrupt his concentration. Or accidentally do it while trying to 'wake up' the body. Is the construct just going to fizzle out if that happens?
Thought Orange Construct Lanterns did. And if they see the ring?

Last edited:
But they would know that's not true?

These are people who do actual scientific research about things, so he shouldn't be able to just pull bullshit out of his and have everyone believe him.
this is stargate they don't do 'science' they do 'technobabble' thats why they included a magic rock that lets them travel at ftl speeds if they put it through an electric current.

this is stargate they don't do 'science' they do 'technobabble' thats why they included a magic rock that lets them travel at ftl speeds if they put it through an electric current

Welcome to the world of science fiction.

If you try and use what you've learned here to pass science class, don't be surprised if you fail.

Starring (part 19)
9th October 1999
13:31 MDT

General Hammond walks into the infirmary, minus his jacket. He looks around at my recumbent body, Am-heh in the jar -I make him wave his tail, which is awkward for a goa'uld as they're not really designed with that range of motion in mind-, and three quarters of SG1.

Teal'c has been staring at Am-heh continuously.

"Could someone please explain to me why our guest is in the infirmary?"

They put a heavy book on top of the jar. Am-heh could get out, but a normal goa'uld wouldn't be able to and O'Neil knew that when he put it there.

O'Neil is the first to answer. "I can only assume he was feeling tired, sir."

Hammond looks at him for a moment, then turns to Major Carter.

"Mammon was insistent that goa'uld under System Lord Bastet don't have human slaves. The Colonel.. pointed out that he had a host, and he… Decided to leave him."

Hammond and Carter both look my way, so I have Am-heh wave his tail again.

"And the host?"

"We're-" She steps aside as some medical staff move an electroencephalograph machine into position. "-not sure, sir. He made.. it lay down before he left. He knew that… Whoever this is wasn't going to go anywhere."

Electrodes are attached and the machine is activated, and not a lot appears on the screen.

"Doctor Fraiser?"

"He's barely breathing, his heart is barely beating and he has no higher brain activity at all." The doctor turns to the General. "If I had to guess, I'd say that he was in a coma, but we know next to nothing about long term goa'uld hosts." She shrugs. "This could be normal or this could be abnormal."

"Is there any sign of a head injury?"

"No. Aside from the lack of brain activity, I'd say that he's in perfect health."

"Is he in any danger?"

"I don't know. Fundamentally, there's no difference between him and any other coma patient. I should be able to keep him alive indefinitely, but the chance of someone waking up from a coma decreases the longer it lasts."

Hammond nods, and then walks over to peer into the jar. "Why is it orange?"

Teal'c keeps staring. "I do not know, General Hammond. I have never seen a goa'uld with this pigmentation. Or who glowed. It appears unusually calm."

Hammond looks away, considering the situation for a moment. Then he turns back to Doctor Fraiser. "Doctor, will the host recover?"

"I couldn't tell you. We're doing blood tests to see if Mammon used any sort of drug to keep the host unconscious. A CAT scan might give us a better idea of what's going on in his brain, but I doubt it will tell us what the cause is."

"Teal'c, would a goa'uld use someone in a coma as a host?"

Teal'c considers for a moment. "I have never seen a goa'uld select a host who was not in perfect physical condition."

Hammond thinks for a moment. "What happens if we put the goa'uld back in?"

O'Neil raises his eyebrows. "Then.. we.. condemn this man to hundreds of years locked in his own body while Mammon uses it… Sir."

"Colonel, from what I'm seeing he's not using it himself right now. Naquada traded with Mammon makes up about half of what we get now. Ah don't see his people carrying that on if they hear about this."

Teal'c bows his head slightly. "If he were placed in a canopic jar and returned to Syrania, then he would simply take a new host. If you wish to continue trading with him, using someone who cannot awaken would be more merciful."

Major Carter frowns. "Wait. I think he was making a point."

O'Neil raises his left eyebrow. "That.. we're.. not as strong on the 'no slaves here' rule as I'd formerly believed?"

"He clearly knows what a slave is. He said that he doesn't own any. So what if he found a man with a head injury and picked him because he thought that was better."

Teal'c tilts his head slightly to the left. "I know little of Mammon's history, but nothing that I heard suggested that he was any more considerate than other goa'uld."

"Daniel said that Mammon was buried underground for two hundred years. And goa'uld can change. The Tok'Ra were made the way they are by Egeria, but she changed her mind by choice. If we put him back in… Maybe he has an explanation."

O'Neil gives her a flat look. "Would you volunteer?"

"If I was in a persistent vegetative state… Yeah."

Hammond looks at Dr. Fraiser. "Doctor?"

"Depending on the level of damage the host's brain has taken, the symbiote might be the only thing keeping him alive." She frowns, looking back at him. "Daniel said that you'd been able to get hold of a sarcophagus for his wife?"

"No, but he-" He nods at me. "-has."

O'Neil closes his eyes and exhales slowly. "Fine. I'll do it."

He walks over to the jar, Teal'c stepping out of the way to give him access. He picks up the book and sets it aside, then thrusts his right arm in and roughly grabs Am-heh just under his head. He then pulls him out and walks over to my body, holding Am-heh up to… His own head?

"Look grateful, you little bastard."

Then he shoves him towards my mouth and releases his grip. I make Am-heh squirm forwards and enter my mouth, give it a couple of seconds and then sit up, pulling the sensors off my head.

"I trust that was informative?"

General Hammond squints slightly. "Do you want to explain to me what that was about?"

"I said that I don't have slaves. I don't. If you'd been paying attention, you'd have realised that this body has an entirely different ethnic origin to the people of Syrania. Where did you think I got it? I was stuck under a mountain for two hundred years. I built this body. Cloned it. It doesn't have any higher reasoning functions of its own and it never did. The brain lights up when I activate those parts of the brain manually."

There's a very quiet-

"Ohh."

-from Colonel O'Neil.

"I could have switched to a different host, but I don't, because if I can come up with some advantage to this system I might be able to convince every goa'uld under Lord Bastet to release their hosts and accept synthetic replacements. And their hosts aren't slaves, they're volunteers. It's considered an honour."

O'Neil opens his mouth-.

"You don't like it? No one's asking you to do it. And while you're here, General." I recreate the 'Opinion of the Office of the Attorney General on Off-World Warfare'. "This is unhelpful legalistic bullshit designed to shield you against people in your own country suing you. It contains absolutely nothing that might lead to a cessation of hostilities with the people you're actually fighting. Take it back and get one with actual war-aims written in it, because while I don't think you did anything wrong in killing Ra, that act has resulted in a war that makes the period nineteen ten to nineteen fifty look like a minor border skirmish and you don't appear to know what you actually want out of the situation. Also."

I glare at O'Neil.

"A heavy book? Really? I voluntarily left this body. Putting captive enemies on display contravenes the Geneva Conventions and putting trading partners on display gets your prices jacked up."

Hammond looks at O'Neil. "Colonel?"

He moues awkwardly. "The book... May, have been a bit much."

Last edited:
They put a heavy book on top of the jar. Am-heh could get out, but a normal goa'uld wouldn't be able to and O'Neil knew that when he put it there

Not sure if he knew that, or if he thought it'd be funny.

Knowing Jack, it could be both.

"Tok'ra"

"I said that I don't have slaves. I don't. If you'd been paying attention, you'd have realised that this body has an entirely different ethnic origin to the people of Syrania. Where did you think I got it? I was stuck under a mountain for two hundred years. I built this body. Cloned it. It doesn't have any higher reasoning functions of its own and it never did. The brain lights up when I activate those parts of the brain manually

They don't really have a lot of reasons to assume that you cloned it, seeing as they haven't really seen Goa'uld use cloning tech.

And Goa'uld raid each other's territories and capture slaves.

They could have just assumed that you got your supposed host body from another planet.

Selmak was able to infiltrate Yu's court and no one commented that his host didn't match the ethnicity of everyone else in the place.

And when Daniel went to the summit, none of the System Lords seemed suspicious about the way Daniel looked.

. It's considered an honour

Wonder how much of an honor they consider it after being stuck in their bodies for centuries.

9th October 1999
Doctor Frasier: "I've tried this one basic thing and i'm all out of idea's!"

The whole thing just feels really minimum effort. Because there are ways he could have out smarted the SGC. Entertaining ways that could have worked purposefully through their blindspots.

But instead it was just Doctor Frasier declairing him comatose after a simple electroencephalograph test.

That's Mass Effect not Stargate.

Stargate actually does do Science, and even has this mythical thing called an R&D cycle.
i know, i was being facetious by treating naquadah as if it had the properties of eazo. what i meant about the technobabble bit is that they went from having a team of maybe 50 scientists looking at magic space rocks with the special property that they generate electricity and somehow built a dozen starships the size of aircraft carriers in half as many years while hiding it from the public and presumably the private sector too.

That's Mass Effect not Stargate.

Stargate actually does do Science, and even has this mythical thing called an R&D cycle.
No, the current thing also covers Naquadah and Naquadria...it's also why the majority of Stargates are pretty much idiot proof and immortal pieces of tech unless someone really tries to mess with them, and those that do tend to realize why it's a bad thing there

No, the current thing also covers Naquadah and Naquadria...it's also why the majority of Stargates are pretty much idiot proof and immortal pieces of tech unless someone really tries to mess with them, and those that do tend to realize why it's a bad thing there

wait naquadah lets you jump to ftl speeds? i thought the writers just hand waved the tau'ri figuring it out on their own from studying goa'uld tech?

You can build a Stargate out of things you can order on the internet. Literally. Because it was done once.

9th October 1999

General Hammond walks into the infirmary, minus his jacket. He looks around at my recumbent body, Am-heh in the jar -I make him wave his tail, which is awkward for a goa'uld as they're not really designed with that range of motion in mind-, and three quarters of SG1.

Teal'c has been staring at Am-heh continuously.
So, he's been playing 'brain-dead' for almost fifteen minutes. Surprised they didn't try to remove his clothing and 'jewellery' in that time. Then again, the Goa'uld is right there watching them, and you'd think he'd be a bit narky once he got a body back. :D

"Could someone please explain to me why our guest is in the infirmary?"

They put a heavy book on top of the jar. Am-heh could get out, but a normal goa'uld wouldn't be able to and O'Neil knew that when he put it there.
...Really? A book? Oh, boy. General Hammond is going to be chewing them out for hours after this little debacle, isn't he?

O'Neil is the first to answer. "I can only assume he was feeling tired, sir."

Hammond looks at him for a moment, then turns to Major Carter.
Not the best time for your usual comedy routine, Jacky.

"Mammon was insistent that goa'uld under System Lord Bastet don't have human slaves. The Colonel.. pointed out that he had a host, and he… Decided to leave him."

Hammond and Carter both look my way, so I have Am-heh wave his tail again.
Surprised he didn't also have him twine his primary tentacles together like a man twiddling his thumbs while he waits. :p For the laughs, of course.

"And the host?"

"We're-" She steps aside as some medical staff move an electroencephalograph machine into position. "-not sure, sir. He made.. it lay down before he left. He knew that… Whoever this is wasn't going to go anywhere."
And you didn't think there was a logical reason for that?

Electrodes are attached and the machine is activated, and not a lot appears on the screen.

"Doctor Fraiser?"
Heh. The Ring feeding fake data to the sensors, I see. Or simply hiding his brain activity.

"He's barely breathing, his heart is barely beating and he has no higher brain activity at all." The doctor turns to the General. "If I had to guess, I'd say that he was in a coma, but we know next to nothing about long term goa'uld hosts." She shrugs. "This could be normal or this could be abnormal."

"Is there any sign of a head injury?"
No. That's why Paulmon set up the pillow, duh. :p

"No. Aside from the lack of brain activity, I'd say that he's in perfect health."

"Is he in any danger?"
Only of boredom. But you dancing monkeys are putting on such a great show. :V

"I don't know. Fundamentally, there's no difference between him and any other coma patient. I should be able to keep him alive indefinitely, but the chance of someone waking up from a coma decreases the longer it lasts."

Hammond nods, and then walks over to peer into the jar. "Why is it orange?"
If there's a sigil, it might well be lost in the surface texture of the Goa'uld symbiote's skin... Or they'd assume it was a cosmetic modification, like a tattoo. Even if DC comics exist here, the Orange Sigil design didn't come into existence for another five or six years... And recognising that would require them to even read 'Green Lantern' comics.

Teal'c keeps staring. "I do not know, General Hammond. I have never seen a goa'uld with this pigmentation. Or who glowed. It appears unusually calm."

Hammond looks away, considering the situation for a moment. Then he turns back to Doctor Fraiser. "Doctor, will the host recover?"
Ah, yes, a bit of a sticky situation. One of his men 'convinces' a Goa'uld to leave its' host, and the first thing they do is trap it in its vase while they poke the human? Awkward.

"I couldn't tell you. We're doing blood tests to see if Mammon used any sort of drug to keep the host unconscious. A CAT scan might give us a better idea of what's going on in his brain, but I doubt it will tell us what the cause is."

"Teal'c, would a goa'uld use someone in a coma as a host?"
That's actually a good question. Would a damaged brain impair the joined pair in any way, or would the Goa'uld repair it in the process of connecting? :confused: This ever come up in the show proper?

Teal'c considers for a moment. "I have never seen a goa'uld select a host who was not in perfect physical condition."

Hammond thinks for a moment. "What happens if we put the goa'uld back in?"
To be fair, that's more a matter of personal preferences on the Goa'uld's parts than any medical reason. If you're going to change, why take a beat-up model over a fresh new ride?

O'Neil raises his eyebrows. "Then.. we.. condemn this man to hundreds of years locked in his own body while Mammon uses it… Sir."

"Colonel, from what I'm seeing he's not using it himself right now. Naquada traded with Mammon make up about half of what we get now. Ah don't see his people carrying that on if they hear about this."
And there had better be some apologies on the way once he wakes up, or he'll start charging more.

Teal'c bows his head slightly. "If he were placed in a canopic jar and returned to Syrania, then he would simply take a new host. If you wish to continue trading with him, using someone who cannot awaken would be more merciful."

Major Carter frowns. "Wait. I think he was making a point."
Good luck getting this one to go anywhere he doesn't want to...

O'Neil raises his left eyebrow. "That.. we're.. not as strong on the 'no slaves here' rule as I'd formerly believed?"

"He clearly knows what a slave is. He said that he doesn't own any. So what if he found a man with a head injury and picked him because he thought that was better."
Ah, finally, someone spots the logical conclusion.

Teal'c tilts his head slightly to the left. "I know little of Mammon's history, but nothing that I heard suggested that he was any more considerate than other goa'uld."

"Daniel said that Mammon was buried underground for two hundred years. And goa'uld can change. The Tok'ra were made the way they are by Egeria, but she changed her mind by choice. If we put him back in… Maybe he has an explanation."
And it'll save Paulmon having to do it himself, which would raise all manner of questions.

O'Neil gives her a flat look. "Would you volunteer?"

"If I was in a persistent vegetative state… Yeah."
And if it turns out the symbiote can repair brain damage, it may well be an option for medical assistance. Assuming it can be persuaded to separate afterwards safely.

Hammond looks at Dr. Fraiser. "Doctor?"

"Depending on the level of damage the host's brain has taken, the symbiote might be the only thing keeping him alive." She frowns, looking back at him. "Daniel said that you'd been able to get hold of a sarcophagus for his wife?"
Odd time to bring that up, but I suppose it's pertinent. A round of sarcophagus healing can fix brain damage, barring what it causes.

"No, but he-" He nods at me. "-has."

O'Neil closes his eyes and exhales slowly. "Fine. I'll do it."
Gee, don't be so enthusiastic, Jack.

He walks over to the jar, Teal'c stepping out of the way to give him access. He picks up the book and sets it aside, then thrusts his right arm in and roughly grabs Am-heh just under his head. He then pulls him out and walks over to my body, holding Am-heh up to… His own head?

"Look grateful, you little bastard."
Surprised Paulmon didn't have it hiss at him, but that might be pushing his luck.

Then he shoves him towards my mouth and releases his grip. I make Am-heh squirm forwards and enter my mouth, give it a couple of seconds and then sit up, pulling the sensors off my head.

"I trust that was informative?"
Because it was certainly entertaining.

General Hammond squints slightly. "Do you want to explain to me what that was about?"

"I said that I don't have slaves. I don't. If you'd been paying attention, you'd have realised that this body has an entirely different ethnic origin to the people of Syrania. Where did you think I got it? I was stuck under a mountain for two hundred years. I built this body. Cloned it. It doesn't have any higher reasoning functions of its own and it never did. The brain lights up when I activate those parts of the brain manually."
Let's hope they're too embarrassed to wonder where he got the source DNA from in the first place...

There's a very quiet-

"Ohh."

-from Colonel O'Neil.
Man, where's Jethro Gibbs to deliver his trademark dope-slap when you need him? :V

"I could have switched to a different host, but I don't, because if I can come up with some advantage to this system I might be able to convince every goa'uld under Lord Bastet to release their hosts and accept synthetic replacements. And their hosts aren't slaves, they're volunteers. It's considered an honour."

O'Neil opens his mouth-.
And really, if you could engineer in certain physical enhancements, they'd probably jump at the chance to have a body deserving of their godhood.

"You don't like it? No one's asking you to do it. And while you're here, General." I recreate the 'Opinion of the Office of the Attorney General on Off-World Warfare'. "This is unhelpful legalistic bullshit designed to shield you against people in your own country suing you. It contains absolutely nothing that might lead to a cessation of hostilities with the people you're actually fighting. Take it back and get one with actual war-aims written in it, because while I don't think you did anything wrong in killing Ra, that act has resulted in a war that makes the period nineteen ten to nineteen fifty look like a minor border skirmish and you don't appear to know what you actually want out of the situation. Also."
Although they'd probably consider the System Lords fighting each other to be a plus, all it would take is pointing out the collateral damage of all the human populations of those Lords' planets sitting in the firing line...

I glare at O'Neil.

"A heavy book? Really? I voluntarily left this body. Putting captive enemies on display contravenes the Geneva Conventions and putting trading partners on display gets your prices jacked up."
Of course, a prompt and heartfelt apology might get that increase reduced to a token amount.

Hammond looks at O'Neil. "Colonel?"

He moues awkwardly. "The book... May, have been a bit much."
Well, good of him to show some embarrassment about it, at least.

I expect General Hammond is not going to be very happy with O'Neill about all this. Not just the treatment, but the price increase for their trading? O'Neill better get a hell of a chewing out in private, with Teal'c catching some of the by-blow. Who knows, he might realise he was being a bit of a cowboy with his assumptions and tone it down a little, at least with allies... o_O

wait naquadah lets you jump to ftl speeds? i thought the writers just hand waved the tau'ri figuring it out on their own from studying goa'uld tech?
It's what gives the power to do it, it's a power amplifier that can, sometimes, cause some reality warping effects if used right.

You can build a Stargate out of things you can order on the internet. Literally. Because it was done once.
Which self destructed after a single use there and, from other things, did some damage to the power grid near Sams house.

i know, i was being facetious by treating naquadah as if it had the properties of eazo. what i meant about the technobabble bit is that they went from having a team of maybe 50 scientists looking at magic space rocks with the special property that they generate electricity and somehow built a dozen starships the size of aircraft carriers in half as many years while hiding it from the public and presumably the private sector too.
There was a literal paper trail for the Prometheus's construction. It was plot point and everything.

And pretty much every bit of tech on it was alien designed. The generators? Alien designed. The sublight engines? Purchased from Aliens. The Hyperdrive? Salvaged from an Alkesh, and then new a new one was given to them by the Asgard. Shields? Asgard. Sensors? Asgard. Communications? Asgard. Rings? Salvaged from Goa'uld stuff.

I'm sad that I can only like this chapter once otherwise I would be setting up an auto-clicker to feed it likes. His O'Neil is perfectly on point because you know that a bit of that animosity is from Pammon bringing up his dead son for any reason.

There was a literal paper trail for the Prometheus's construction. It was plot point and everything.

And pretty much every bit of tech on it was alien designed. The generators? Alien designed. The sublight engines? Purchased from Aliens. The Hyperdrive? Salvaged from an Alkesh, and then new a new one was given to them by the Asgard. Shields? Asgard. Sensors? Asgard. Communications? Asgard. Rings? Salvaged from Goa'uld stuff.
the only thing i remember about Prometheus is that they had to ditch the hyperdrive cause the naquadria they used to power it was unstable ...or was that the power core? also i notice you didn't comment on the 12 or so 304s the tau'ri built.

'Ra' is a name.
And Goa'uld raid each other's territories and capture slaves.

They could have just assumed that you got your supposed host body from another planet.
They know that he's been out of action for a long time, and they've heard his explanation as to why. They can be pretty sure that he hasn't been raiding anyone.
Selmak was able to infiltrate Yu's court and no one commented that his host didn't match the ethnicity of everyone else in the place.

And when Daniel went to the summit, none of the System Lords seemed suspicious about the way Daniel looked.
That's because of the goa'uld roofie chemical.
Wonder how much of an honor they consider it after being stuck in their bodies for centuries.
The only former host we see like that is Apophis's host, and he was a bit out of it. Probably not.
It came up that while they compartmentalise what they share with the private sector, they are using it. They murder a journalist in series 1 who learned the truth and later on disappeared an industrialist who cloned an asgard.
Thank you, corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back