1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AshKing

AshKing Lord of Procrastination

I’m just hoping that the solution involves going to a piano bar in la

Ardy likes this.
  2. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Not that Angel's Grove, but I respect your enthusiasm

Cuchulin, Mister_Potato, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  3. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Oh I see. I misread that as "Even if I built it with local parts."

Cuchulin and Stsword like this.
  4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's less that and more they are incapable of perceiving their own demise. Even when they are smart enough to know that a thing can kill them.

5. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

So, mind-control or threaten to nuke Rita's minions until they give you what you want?

6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

"I WILL TORTURE YOU SO HORRIFICALLY THAT THOUGH THE PHYSICAL SCARS WILL FADE, THE MENTAL ONES NEVER WILL!"

Someguy Somewhere likes this.
  7. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Gotta say, I love how you're handling the rangers. They all feel in-character for the Mighty Morphin team, and when it comes to a good crossover, you wanna treat both sides with respect.

Currently think Paul might try to assimilate Baboo, though any confrontation with Rita might not end well. At least without some mystic aid on Paul's side..Zoat, could Paul summon Nabu-666 or is he cut off from the construct lanterns?

Ardy and Duke Long like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He might be able to do that, but he suspects that it would consume huge amounts of energy.

Ardy, Ngamer11, Duke Long and 2 others like this.
  9. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

The whole 'magic will be undone' thing feels like you might be taking it a step too far. Monster magic does work like that, but only for the first stage effects. A monster turns a bunch of people into cookies- they'll turn back when it dies or the magic runs out. A monster summons a ball of fire and blows up a building and kills hundreds? They all stay dead and the building is wrecked.

Orange could build a machine using his ring and even if the machine fell apart after his magic ran out, anything that machine did would persist.

10. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

You mean the same way that Rita and her crew needed food, air and water while sealed away in that space dumpster? Zordon's one of the most powerful magic users in a universe filled with powerful magic users. Either the properties of the time warp he's trapped in are keeping him alive, or his magic renders those problems mute(either by making them unnecessary for him, or by letting him freely conjure those things).

Again, Zordon is not actually inside the tube, the tube is just a method of communication. It's a just a monitor connected to Zordon's interdimensional video conferencing set up. You could blow it up and the only problem Zordon would have would be the fact that he'd be completely cut off from communicating with the outside world till a new tube got constructed(you know, like what happened the first time the Command Center got blown up).

It's only in Power Rangers the Movie that has Zordon in the tube and have his life support be connected to said tube.

11. Threadmarks: Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 1995
    20:26 GMT

Nineties mundane data protection, the sort of thing you can bypass with a dial tone. But my energy budget is unusually strict. I could scan the entire world, but…

I don't know how much of my optimal lifespan that would use. It might be none. It might be that the power from the potion went into making my ring and now it just does ring things, at least for as long as its current charge holds out. I'd experiment, but that might make me die faster.

And I don't know if this universe has souls, much less whether or not I still have one.

Death could be permanent here.

I could die. For real.

I dealt with that. Or rather, the comic book character whose memories I have dealt with that. And now I've got to deal with that all again, because-. Because it didn't happen. And I guess I'm glad to exist, but from my point of view I-. I didn't exist but my memories tell me that I did.

And I want to keep existing.

Everyone… Else… My friends, family… They don't exist. Didn’t exist. And even if I got more of whatever that potion was and… Pour it out…

I don't even know how to evaluate that. Definitely immoral without a way to sustain them. And then… I don't have a problem with selfishly bringing fictional characters I know into being rather than fictional characters I don't, but…

I don't know.

But keeping myself alive comes first.

Positives. Not many. With no Justice League here I can pretty much do whatever I want. Since I'll be dead soon anyway, there are basically no consequences that are worse for me than the inevitable. So between the aforementioned nineties electronic security and my willingness to completely disregard the law, I can hop from secure facility to secure facility and scan whatever I want.

If only anyone had anything worth stealing.

The National Security Agency facility near Angel Grove had plenty of data on their fights, as well as all of the personal data of each Ranger. Because ducking into an alleyway might throw off a putty but actual spies are a little harder to fool. But when monsters are destroyed by the Megazord's finishing moves there isn't much left in one piece, and sometimes what there is reverts to clay. And as far as they can tell, the clay itself is completely mundane.

I might be able to get more. But I'm not risking shortening my lifespan to try.

Area 51 was a disappointment. Not a single intact ship and most of their research on the fragments they have is on paper. I copied a few pages before deciding that it was worthless.

The Bermuda Triangle is a perfectly normal confluence of shipping lanes with a statistically average number of disappearances.

Loch Ness does actually have an alien sea creature in it. But it's not one that can give me what I need.

The Tunguska Event was an alien incursion, but reading between the lines in the contemporary reports it looks like Zordon dealt with it while he was in his prime. Some machinery was recovered, but between revolutions, governmental circular firing squads and general neglect, if there ever was anything that could help me it's long since broken beyond my capacity to repair.

I'm dithering.

I know that there were different generations of Power Rangers, but I don't remember when they went from just changing the current cast to restarting the whole thing. Or if they shared a setting. There were time travellers, ninjas, beast… Something or other? There probably are things I could loot to sustain myself. But I don't know enough to remember where they are.

I'm still dithering.

Did Rita ever have a goal? A… Strategy that went beyond this week's plan? Now that I'm not ten years old, the ability to teleport superhuman soldiers to anywhere on Earth seems like something that would make it simple enough to just bypass the Power Rangers and conquer the planet conventionally. Even if their equipment can't make many monsters within a given timeframe, she could easily…

Mid-nineties. The Bosnia war is still going on. She could make a deal with any of the involved parties, give them some monster support and then have a base of operations on Earth. Large parts of Africa would be incapable of offering meaningful resistance. The Russian Federation is still kind of a mess.

But no. She attacks Angel Grove. Is that because her experience tells her that the Power Rangers are the only thing able to resist her significantly? And that this is genuinely the most efficient route to go down? Am I overestimating putties? Regular putties could be beaten up by human martial artists, so they're probably perfectly killable by actual guns. The Lord Zed putties were invulnerable everywhere except the 'Z' on their chests, but they weren't actually any better at fighting than the other sort. Just tankier until whoever they're fighting works out where they should be hitting and then they could be destroyed by literal children.

I suppose that against someone who knows to attack the weak spot, they're actually worse than normal putties.

The giant monsters would still beat everything that isn't a zord or a tactical nuclear device. I'd bet on an infantry platoon against most regular-sized monsters, but they'd take losses killing it.

I look up, and there's the moon.

Time to stop dithering.

I accelerate, trying to spot any space-based defences. Or weapons. Or detection devices. Looks like a few American satellites are pointing at the moon, but I don't know if that's more than normal or not.

No weapons. The SALT treaty was intended to stop people using space based weapons against targets on Earth, not against other things in space. If they didn't want to use nuclear weapons then they could build a railgun and start blasting with that.

Are they dealing with the same problem of ignorance that I am?

Closer to the moon, and closer, and closer… There's the pot… Container thing, that Rita got out of. Odd that she just left it lying there. I'd have either kept it with me or destroyed it, but up to her.

Step through the dust and there's her citadel, complete with… Telescope that's currently pointing at me. Something about the building is throwing off my scans, but they definitely know that I'm-.

A golden fleck leaves-.

I stop, because while Goldar had effectively been reduced to scenery by the time I started watching he's supposed to be a significant physical threat. And to emphasise that I don't want to fight I hold my hands out to the side with my fingers unclenched.

By the looks of things his flight speed isn't all that great, but he's not on a death clock.

He slows as he approaches conversation range though he keeps his sword at the ready.

"You. You were supposed to fight the Power Rangers."

"Why? I had no reason to fight them."

"Because it is what you were made for!"

"And if I'd been told that, I might have acted on it. Or at least asked-."

"WHAT?! What do you mean, you weren't told? How did those idiots bungle that?"

"I couldn't tell you. My… Creator just told the Power Rangers that I was there to destroy them, without telling me to do so or explain why I should. I am here because I wish to offer your mistress my services. For appropriate compensation."

He sneers. "Mercenary."

"Yes."

His stare becomes slightly less intense. "Hah. She will hear you. And if you fail to impress her, you will not live to return to Earth."

"Rightoh. Lead the way."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  12. boo600

boo600 Welp

Hello, works-for-the-villain-Sorta-Paragon! We’ve been waiting for you!

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"my ring"

Universal conquest would be my guess.

But she probably considers Zordon and his Rangers as the biggest threat since that's what defeated her last time.

Assuming she'd consider working with people she considers her inferiors.

"Step"

I do remember it being mentioned that he'd help Rita.

14. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Depends on the monster. A lot of them had pretty haxy attacks that could take even a Ranger out of the fight(god only knows how many monsters the ability had to turn people into objects or absorb into their bodies or lock them into a pocket dimension).

Cuchulin, Ardy, Doccer and 3 others like this.
  15. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Oh no. He's about to Paul.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was rereading and found that this link in Godspeech isn't working anymore.

17. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

To be fair, Squatt did say:

But it's not like Goldar knows that, so a small fib to explain things is probably perfectly reasonable.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And with that thanatophobia burning away at full force, I can tell that's something you don't want. Honestly, though, you're lucky you can even access some systems, given the somewhat scattershot nature of the Internet at this stage.

Pretty sure there's ghosts around, if nothing else. Or at least some form of post-mortal state. Certainly, the first Galaxy Pink lingered for a while.

Stop overthinking it, man. You're going to drive yourself crazy, thinking in circles at this rate.

Uh-oh. He's getting kind of desperate...

...And desperate men do crazy things.

Ah, the old saw: 'Character is what you are in the dark.' No oversight, no-one telling him no (other than the Rangers, and they might not learn what he's doing except by accident.) What is he willing to try to survive?

And no doubt they decided 'Let's not bother these kids, because those suits let them fight things that could slaughter average people on an even footing.' Or they're waiting for orders on what to do...

...Honestly, I'm not surprised.

Huh. Wonder if that ever comes up in 'Power Rangers'?

...I'm guessing he did it remotely, or sent Alpha. Or there were earlier Ranger teams.

A helpful timeline for us readers. And apparently previous Ranger teams are a thing, though not long-term groups..

To be fair, even if she overcame the Rangers and Zordon... He had backup plans, including an apprentice.

Fortunately, she hasn't thought of that. Probably too dismissive of regular humans.

That was an odd choice of upgrade on his part. Must have been some quirk of whatever magic he used to upgrade them in the first place.

Honestly, it's likely dependant on how Finster designed the Monster of the Week. A weak mind-controller might get shredded in a straight fight, but would avoid it to begin with. A resilient physical fighter? Good luck hurting it without Morphin Grid energy or heavy anti-tank weapons.

Plan B, then. B for Boot to the door.

Hmm... Wonder if any of those were keeping tabs on a certain spot. After all, we don't know what happened to those astronauts, do we?

Bet she simply doesn't want to be reminded of her previous capture.

...You'd think people would have noticed that at some point. Or was it simply magically concealed, hmm?

At least he can fly, though given that the Moon in this universe has enough atmosphere to have day and night, if that earlier scene with the astronauts was anything to go by....

Aw, was someone upset by his lack of instant aggression? :p Then again, they couldn't have known he'd have foreknowledge of the Rangers...

I bet he doesn't have this kind of trouble with the usual monster crowd, since they're built to task.

To be fair, it was a confusing situation.

Smart. On the other hand, it means they're not going to trust you straight off, given the attitude.

He's facing death either way. If she kills him, then so be it...

So, this promises to be entertaining, if only for the common sense he's about to drop on Rita. The question is, will her ego let her recognise the good advice, or just get a headache? And this promises to be confusing for the Rangers, too, who won't have seen this coming, unless Billy is enough of a fan to realise how OL might react.

That's because 1d4chan is prone to going offline. Mr Zoat, you might be better off finding a copy and hosting it on your usual spot? [Edit: Updated with Knowyourmeme.com image link]

19. Mr Zoat

I recognise how passionate you are about this, but I think that you're fixating a little much on two lines of no significance. If it makes you feel happier, the SI doesn't actually understand the machinery that Zordon is using and may just have misidentified what it does based on fictional DC devices.

20. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Fey Lawyer rules. The command was for Orange Warmaster to destroy them. He is Orange Lantern, completely different person.

Prince Charon, BR549, Kiden and 12 others like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's also the possibility that they don't know about Zordon, but they know that these kids got their advanced tech from somewhere and someone, and that someone may not be too pleased if their tech is stolen.

It's not a good idea to piss off someone with giant robots in their arsenal.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Squatt said that to the Rangers, to try and get them to attack the SI.

Duke Long, BR549, kraryal and 4 others like this.
  23. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Rita's goal is pretty simple. Conquer the Earth. Partly because she's always wanted to be an evil conqueror like her father and brother, but mostly because it's the job she was given by Lord Zedd. She's his subordinate. He eventually shows up because he's pissed that she hasn't conquered the Earth yet even though he told her to do it thousands of years ago.

The Z-Putties are also kind of inconsistently vulnerable to their weakspot being hit. Really, it's whatever is convenient to the plot. So when the Rangers got turned into kids again, the force of a child throwing a dodge ball into the emblem could take them out. But then in proper Ranger battles there were times a transformed Power Ranger had to get multiple, hard hits on the Z emblem before they'd actually explode.

And of course it is interesting that she's so obsessed with hitting the Rangers directly by constantly attacking Angel Grove. Because the World of the Coinless timeline, where Tommy willingly joined her and started calling himself Drakkon, is one where she decided to use more subversive tactics to slowly conquer territory on the Earth over a period of years. To the point she had a full on army to throw at the Rangers in thebattle that completed her conquest.

Not that she enjoyed victory for very long. Drakkon was pretty quick to kill her so he could rule alone once they won.

Cuchulin, BR549, Azure Mirage and 3 others like this.
  24. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

I've seen fanfics which noted that striking the Z shield caused some sort of injurious energy pulse that punished people for destroying those putties, but I don't think that was ever established in canon?

25. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

And then they still take awhile to beat. Frustrated me as a kid. They figure this out in like the first episode but never keep it up and sometimes beat them without it and a few times hit the X without anything happening.
    PR Turbo if I recall, but magic so he probably can't.

I'd definitely go for the Zero Crystals. Even if the conversion wasn't great, they are powerful enough it might not matter.

Mr Zoat
    Your current arc reminds me of a Comic I read long ago. It was online. Only the first issue was free. I think it was called The Patriot? I never bought the rest so I don't know how it turned out. The idea was what if the most powerful hero had only 6 months to live.
    It wasn't DC or Marvel. I know that much. All original characters.
    The MC was a guy that looked to be in his 30s and like 40 years ago or so he was an astronaut who got hit by space energy and got ALL the powers. And though he could have lived like a god he was so morally just that he didn't. Started hero traditions, got titled "The Patriot", formed the largest and most powerful Super team fought as a true hero for decades without ever taking a life. And he was always in perfect health. Then Patriot got headaches and after helping some scientists and doctors build a scanning device on the moon that was powerful enough to get thru his protections to scan his brain they told him he has a tumor or something and only 6 months to live. And he decided not to get a second opinion because the first device took 6 months to make.

So Patriot reflects on his life and comes to the hard conclusion that the best use of his time is to murder every awful villain that was too powerful for anyone but him to beat. The ones that ONLY he has any hope of beating and did so.
    He doesn't hide it. He tells his family and his friends and coworkers ahead of time the last scene of that first issue was him talking to his son while they were doing something in the garage to help his (teenage? Adult?) son come to terms with his decisions. And his version of Justice League shows up united to stop him because this violates the ideals he once stood for. His son tries defend him but The Patriot quiets him saying they aren't wrong. And ends there. Couldn't find it but I know there was more issues to be bought.

Duke Long, Jaron and Ardy like this.
  26. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Let’s see, any issues…? She’s called “Repulsa,” but until we see some description of supernatural “Something is off" in-chapter to dissuade him, I suppose he could Paul his way into redeeming/romancing Rita.

27. Threadmarks: Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 1995
    20:30 GMT

"You're back!"

The short blue person who was responsible for creating me shouts in surprise the moment he sees me approaching Rita Repulsa's throne. His jaw drops and his hands come up to cover his mouth. Then he throws his arms out to the sides in excitement.

"You're back, my Orange… Warlord! Are-?"

"Warmaster."

The winged ape next to him rolls his eyes.

Squatt just blinks. "Huh?"

"The name you picked for me was Orange Warmaster. You clearly put no thought at all into it and made it up on the spur of the moment in an attempt to encourage them to attack me after accidentally dropping whatever potion that was onto my comic."

"Ah…" Ms. Repulsa looks at him with an arched left eyebrow, so he decides to double down. "Don't worry about that right now. Are the Power Rangers dead?"

"Probably not."

"You came back here without doing your job?!" Ms. Repulsa gestures to me with her staff. "Tell me why I shouldn't destroy you where you stand!"

"I don't remember accepting a job. The short nitwit dropped whatever that potion was on a superhero comic. I had no reason to fight them and no reason to follow his orders." I smile cruelly. "Not that he actually remembered to give me any; he told them I was supposed to kill them, not me."

She glares at him and he cringes back. "Ah-aaa…"

"How can you be so stupid that you don't even tell your monster to attack?"

"Uh, I was-. Surprised! Yeah!"

"With the greatest respect, ma'am, there's very little point in blaming a moron for being stupid. He's working at the limits of his competence."

The ape-man snorts, raising his right fist to his mouth as the short blue one glares at him for his lack of support.

Ms. Repulsa gives me a grudging smile. "So! Why are you here?"

"The poorly brewed potion that granted me life only gave me a limited amount of power. When I run out, I stop existing."

"That's not a bug." Ape man wiggles his right forefinger at me. "That's a deliberate feature. The potion is only designed for creating short term minions."

"Ah. Then I apologise. The potion worked exactly as intended, which is a problem for me."

"Oh." Ms. Repulsa smiles cruelly. "So you want to live?"

"Just so. I already asked Zordon, and apparently I'm out of luck. If you can make me a 'real boy', I'm your man."

"I can make a new monster any day I want." She waves her left hand dismissively. "What's so special about you?"

"The dullard dropped the potion on a superhero comic. It brought me to life with all of the skills and memories of the character I'm based on. Years of fighting against supernaturally powerful opponents in all sorts of exotic locations. And I'm fairly powerful…" I glare at Baboo. "When I'm not having to worry about spontaneously snapping out of existence."

"Oh, that's not how it works. You'll be able to do… Ah… Nearly everything you could do in your comic. Not things that required other things to work properly, but everything else. And you should be able to do most of them as much as you want! Un… Til… You run out of power."

"Ah. In that case, why not accept? You'll want me to fight the Power Rangers anyway, and from the sounds of it I can do that without anything extra from you. If I win, I want you to extend my life. Is that something you can do?"

"Baboo! Bring me the potion recipe!"

"At once, mistress!" He bows and scurries off into one of the other rooms.

"Thank you. I do rather like being alive."

She gives me a hard look. "How do you plan on fighting them when all of my other minions and monsters have failed?"

I know that there are more zords buried in various places. I doubt that Ms. Repulsa whipped up the Dragonzord herself, but 'somewhere underwater' doesn't really narrow it down. Titanus is 'somewhere in the mountains in California', which narrows it down a bit, but a quick scan earlier didn't reveal it and I'm not sure how reliable my more exotic scans are at the moment anyway. She's in a better place to track the location of the main dinozord hangar than I am.

Other than just flying into Angel Grove and tearing apart a few buildings… Which I'd rather not do because I'm sure that insurance rates there are already ridiculously high. I could just snipe each of the Rangers from a few miles away, but…

I'm negotiating with Team Evil here. Just killing the only people who can effectively fight them is just asking to get backstabbed, and leave the Earth completely vulnerable to them. Making it look like I've killed them is similarly problematic: I have no idea what sort of sensors they've got up here, so I don't know if I could fake it convincingly. And if I did, I don't know what Rita Repulsa actually wants to do with Earth. She might just see that as a sign that it's fine to let her people go on a rampage.

"Is there any device or artefact that you particularly want to recover from Earth?"

"You said that you had extensive experience. If you want to impress me, kill the Power Rangers!"

"Show me the potion and I'll get right on it."

She pouts frustratedly, then turns to Baboo as he hurries back in, book in hand.

"It's this one, your-."

She grabs the book from him and plants it on a nearby lectern, peering at it intensely.

"Hhmmmm. Yes, that's easy! You just need more magic power!"

"Just an infusion of magic power? Nothing… Special about it?"

"No. But I'm the only person in this entire star system who could do it, so don't forget who's in charge!"

"Certainly. I assume that my continued existence will be dependant on my continued service?"

I hear Goldar snort behind me. "You should be grateful for the privilege."

"I'm not complaining, I just want to know where I stand. I mean, if you're constantly having to recharge me I imagine that you'd find that annoying."

"Hm. Yes. I would."

Ms. Repulsa bangs the butt of her staff on the ground, the orange crystal in the head shimmering for a moment… Before a necklace with a smaller but similar crystal pendant appears around my neck.

"Once you've completed your mission, that will allow you to retain more than enough power to keep yourself alive… For a few months. And in the mean time, the glow will tell you how long you've got to live."

It's not glowing very brightly at the moment.

"Very practical. I don’t suppose I could trouble you for a top-up now, could I?"

"No."

"Alright. Then I'm going to need some putties, and the use of your teleporter."

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"but everything"

My guess is having legions of slaves building giant statues of her and groveling.

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Getting Zordon to top up the power?

30. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

I wonder if this works mechanically like the power supply the psycho rangers used?