1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

"What do you mean I have to spend YEARS on this world fixing everything! I want to go home with my pony wife!"

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They're honestly not sure that he's evil at all.
    I will not be using that person.

Hell_Yeah, Cuchulin, boo600 and 18 others like this.
  3. Irked

Irked Experienced.

This feels like a partial Justice Lords timeline with how willing they are to sign up with ReneGrayven.

I guess the combination of being in a suicide squad timeline where Wallers actions are revealed AND already dealing with Apokolips has lit a fire under their ass.

Edit:

Is there something wrong with this worlds Flash? Don't know much about this continuity.

4. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

It's hilarious that Grayven tried to play the benevolent alien conqueror so well that even the heroes are like "well, why not join him?"

How did he not see this coming? He's been exceptionally reasonable, communicated properly his goals and an actual plan, hasn't made any outrageous demands or hammed up any "evil" tendency. Combine that with throwing every government in the world's dirty laundry and what did he think was gonna happen?

You don't know about Ezra Miller? How? This is the DCEU timeline, the one of the recent DC movies. He's the actor that plays the Flash in this continuity, just look him up.

5. Irked

Irked Experienced.

Oh wait this is the Miller timeline? Nevermind then that makes perfect sense.

Honestly haven't watched anything of the DCEU so couldn't remember who played this version, might be different from the character he plays but still not someone you want in a story if you can help it, even by proxy.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Okay then. What about Aquaman?

Relyt33 likes this.
  7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I do have to wonder. If they'd just put the body to a high-sunlight environment instead of burying it in the ground, maybe he'd recovered naturally. BvS ends with showing that Supes is not all the way dead, and it was also suggested by Zod's corpse not decaying

Cuchulin, DrRok and Relyt33 like this.
  8. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Then why boom tube him to Scotland instead of like, Jupiter, or the sun?

"I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I'm guessing Brannon doesn't have the self-awareness of the Operative, but the hypocrisy of it reminded me of that little speech. Brannon's probably not even up to General Eiling's standard of, "Alright, I've become what I hate, I'll give you that. But in the long run, you'll see that I was right. You'll see you need the likes of me to protect you from them."

Edit: I went back and read the issues with Last Line (Superman/Batman #47 and 48). And this bit is a neat parallel of what happened in those books:

In the original story, Last Line is fighting Superman and Batman. The revelation of All American Boy (with a bit of manipulation from Batman) caused Brannon to turn on Waller. But here... Brannon isn't fighting Superman, he's fighting an alien conqueror and his henchmen, including Subjekt-17 who, without context, has to look nearly as bad as All American Boy. So Brannon has still soured on Waller (and probably most of the government)... but this is the sort of threat he signed on to fight (even if he probably thought there would be less amicable chatting).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Cuchulin, DrRok, Ardy and 10 others like this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, did the Anti-Life, and later the Life Entity, have any substantial effect on the Shade? Because I imagine the former could've accelerated his loss of personal motivation to do anything, while the latter could've helped him in regaining it, throwing off the dwarf that's possessing him.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Randall?

kraryal likes this.
  11. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I'm going to laugh if Grayven ends up actually conquering this world. It would be like his trip to the Justice Lords/Stormwatch world after killing Klarion, except he actually takes over.

And is trapped dealing with the DCU, admittedly.

Rebu, boo600, Wheenesss and 5 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

He got involved in the film when Steppenwolf attacked Atlantis. Since Grayven hasn't, he isn't involved. He probably won't even find out about it until he next surfaces.
    Because it's not about what he wants. It's about what's doing what's best for the galaxy, and if that means giving one soldier a second chance to not be a fool, then that's what it means.
    Richard. Though it should have one 'g'.
    Not directly, but seeing the people around him affected while he couldn't do anything about it left him even more disenchanted with superheroism.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I suppose fighting a possessed Richard Swift would be a good challenge for Paul when it inevitably happens. I just hope that the Shade can be exorcised of Simon Culp's influence if that ever comes to pass.

boo600, Xmaster3000 and Relyt33 like this.
  14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

*Spends five minutes laughing at Grayven in vindication*
    See this is why I was confused before about how well prepared he was to do this. He sold his position so well he can't realistically fail! If it was just taking advantage of government secrets and blatant attacks while the military couldn't or wouldn't marshall the other the fight back then yeah the JL would form and the ship could be the final boss fight. Though I still question the ship be too much of a big gun. Or if he didn't release secrets and just campaigned with the promise of violence. But this?
    Dude made himself such a fine position he got hoisted by his own petard!

Frank Iannetta, boo600, DrRok and 5 others like this.
  15. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

You could just swap in the TV flash. I much prefer that actor despite the bad writing of the show.

16. Mr Zoat

I'd rather use old television series Flash, because as far as I remember he was less stupid.

17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know right! On Justice Lords Earth he at least had the good since to ham it up so he is recognizably the Big Bad! Here he was just politicking.
    He could've at least pulled a Loki and pissed off all his ideal JL members. Him not ensuring Captain Atom would be on the JL side was the first thing that didn't make since to me.
    If he wants the JL properly to form why didn't he attack Atlantis like he did Themyscira and make a token effort to steal that box? What was his ideal JL line up here?
    What was his thinking to put the cart so far before the horse?
    I wonder if she'll step in at all? Be fun for the pony princess get the Big Damn Hero moment.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  18. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

It would probably be funnier to me if it ends up with the Renegade actually having to follow through and add this earth as a planet he rules. And accidently actually having to be the Big Good of the this universe.

"Ah, shit. I actually have to follow though with my campaign promises?"

I'd be sad if it was ANOTHER rehash of 'and now I am evil you better get together as the justice league and stop me.'.

Similarly, I hope there are actually future updates of the SI of Power Rangers Verse actually following through and making the Earth better. Stories usually cut off and barely mention after that kinda thing.

19. Mr Zoat

He put Adam in the perfect place to backstab him after he got over his initial shock!
    Superman when he inevitably gets better, Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, Captain Atom and Accomplished Perfect Physician.

Cuchulin, Doccer, boo600 and 8 others like this.
  20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He really underestimated how angry Adam was over how he was screwed over by everyone.

Interesting line up. When this team eventually expands, who would you want to be in the first wave of recruits?

Doccer, boo600 and Relyt33 like this.
  21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I think you meant "blade" instead of "black"?

Joshua, at least according to his wiki page.

Chojin Patriarch, Relyt33 and Mr Zoat like this.
  22. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Still don't understand why the Flash isn't going to be involved. Like, sure, the actor is a piece of shit . . . But the actor isn't the character.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That version of the Flash is rubbish too. Just not as much as the actor.

Hell_Yeah, Cuchulin, Doccer and 9 others like this.
  24. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey Zoat, how did Danette Reilly, her wife and son Logan deal with the anti-life?

Doccer, boo600 and Relyt33 like this.
  25. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It's not Venus, but I'll take it all the same. Hope he enjoys hitch hiking home. Well done.

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Not great, not terrible. Their farm is a long way from the broadcasters and they have a clearly defined physical job to do each day, which is a definite advantage.

Cuchulin, Doccer, boo600 and 6 others like this.
  27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, I’d have expected the justifiers to try and forcibly recruit the magic robot superhero

28. Mr Zoat

Her nature isn't common knowledge, and there was a lot going on.

Cuchulin, Doccer, Rebu and 6 others like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Justice Segue (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

17th November 2017
    09:32 GMT -5

It takes a moment.

All I really think is: 'His spines can't move like that. My chest should be in the way.'

And then I taste blood, and I re-enact Superman: Red Son by flying through one.. building after another so quickly that between that and the blood loss I'm really not sure how many it is. The only mercy for me is that since I'm not a kryptonian I'm not aware of how many people I turned into pâté on the way.

And then I.. stop. In a basement of some sort, concrete straining and fragmenting around me.

Ugh.

"Grayven to everyone." Ugh. "Waller made a new Doomsday. Haven't seen it fly or use a vision weapon yet."

Healing ray, please.

It appears, and I shoot myself in the.. gaping chest wound that I try not to look at too closely.

"I knew he existed, but given how little of his mind appeared to survive the transformation I didn’t think they'd try using him." I pull myself to my feet, using a construct corset to support my still-healing torso. "You could try using his comrades as human shields. He might recognise them. I'm going to need.. thirty seconds to be combat effective."

Mother Box, boom tube to Victor Stone.

Ping?

You want to leave him plugged in to Father's Box?

Ping.

BOOM!

I stick my right arm through, grab the first metal thing I feel and the drag it back. And continuing the universe's colour theme, this Cyborg is grey as well.

"Huh?"

"Use the metal part of your brain to think quickly. Government mad scientists made a new Doomsday, and your software is full of Apokoliptian malware."

"Uh. No, Dad made my cybernetics."

"Cribbing from devices he didn't understand, then you plugged yourself into one. I'm offering you an upgrade. No more control issues, and across the board improvements in performance. No more dysphoria. And I can change the colour to something a bit more cheerful. Five seconds to decide, then I'll have to do it later."

He looks shocked, in a happy sort of way. "Ah, yeah, yeah."

I nod. "Good show."

I put my left hand on his shoulder and take the Themysciran Box fragment from my belt with my right before pressing it against his chest.
    Toy Soldier
    I feel Father's malign influence immediately, but it's third or fourth hand. Easily dealt with if I apply a little force.
    Ave Deus Machina

His body starts reconfiguring at once as I push the Box inside him. Faint veins of gold run through his silver-coloured plating as his internals shift to a more human-friendly configuration. Plates smooth and take on the form of human musculature, the glowing hole for the scavenged power source closed as the Box replaces it. Nerve impulse processors are similarly routed through the box as it effectively merges with his human brain. And I make sure it knows that it works for Victor.

Ping.

Faux-heartbeat, faux-pulse, mode switch between armoured and skin-like… Keep the weapons but-. Yes, like that. Extra-dimensional storage isn't difficult to include. Maybe a little more gold?

Ping.

Well, there's a lot less flesh there than I was expecting. We could offer to clone something for him later, but between a civilian-mode and the Box fragment he shouldn't need it. Done?

Ping.

"Okay, take a moment to get use to-"

He looks down at himself. "The fuck-?"

"-it language! You're a superhero!"

He looks at his arms, hands, torso and-.

I roll my eyes as his response to him covering his genitals. "Perhaps combat mode. Don’t come out until you understand your basic functions."

Mother Box.

BOOM!

I armour up as I fly through the tube, scanning to try and find out what's going-.

Okay, add… Rebuilding most of Dallas to the itinerary. This-.

A small child in what looks like a prison uniform with a full face-covering helmet throws beams of golden energy at Manhunter, forming an aura around him and-

"Aaagh!"

-I don't know exactly what it's doing, but it clearly hurts. Nay I recognise because he was on my long list for my villain squad. I didn't pick him because I didn't want to endanger a child, but-.

I generate a cage around him and then thrust him into a partially destroyed building, breaking his line of sight and causing him to stop blasting Manhunter. That helmet, what's-.

Without turning his head he raises his hands and blasts me, energy slamming to my armour and shield, eating at them, but… Manageable. I turn the bars into solid barriers which gives me a chance to dash closer.

"Nay, stop, please. I need-."

"RAAAAHHHHH!"

"I need to deal with th-"

Golden energy blasts a hole in the construct crate and slams into my shield again. Okay, no starfish or butterfly, so he's not a corpse puppet. Can't see any other control technology-. Conditioning. The helmet. Without alien technology they aren't advanced enough for sophisticated implants, Burma or the Chinese. Just remove it.

I push the shield forwards until it envelops his hands, then use the respite to shove my hands through my own crate construct, grab his helmet and rip it off him in two halves.

He stops blasting at once, looking around in fear and confusion. I dose him with a knockout agent at once, catch him as he collapses and-

BOOM!

-gently shove him through the tube into Absolute Dominion's nursery.

"Grayven to Luna. One child guest. Please settle him in."

"Of course. Hath we acquired a new ward?"

"Maybe. I'll try tracing his family after I've brutally slaughtered the people who put him in a war zone. Out."

I take a purple healing ray in hand and fly out to where I last saw Manhunter. He's looking functional but unsteady, his skin gradually regaining its standard shape and texture. I shoot him with the healing ray and receive a grateful nod. Does he recognise the technology?

No. Something else I need to find out first.

"Why are you siding with me?"

"Darkseid, the ruler of Apokolips, first heard of the Anti-Life Equation from Mars. I incorrectly assumed that you were here on his service. Now that I know you fight against him, my course is clear."

I toss him the healing ray.

"Patch yourself up and then come and find us. I think we're going to need you."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'less'.

Missing color format.

So you're going with that origin of how Darkseid learned of the Anti-Life. Does that apply to any of the other universes we've seen in this story?