1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Player in the Force (SW/Gamer)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by USSExplorer, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Zendrelax

Zendrelax "All yours. I think it always was. Welcome home."

Changing subjects a little, but part of me wonders how certain people will respond to the nature of the One Ring, when Cam publishes The Two Towers and Return of the King. Like, most of the galaxy will only really care about it as something for literary analysis, at most, but other force-sensitives who know or learn that Cam is the "author" might start to make some entertaining assumptions.

Danu likes this.
  2. USSExplorer

USSExplorer Getting sticky.

To qoute the wiki (which I acknowledge can be less than detailed at times) regarding lightsabers;
    "It seems the Dark Lords of the Sith Empire were ultimately responsible for the advancement of lightsabers, replacing the belt-mounted power pack with a power cell within the hilt."

Who invented protosabers is unclear, though it does appear the Sith preferred the more visceral appeal of force-imbued blades.

As for potions, I honestly have no idea who was responsible for them, but I'd suspect it was the Je'daii Order before all Force alchemy was banned.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  3. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Protosabers were definitely a Jedi creation, the Sith didn't have them when the Jedi found Korriban and started the war with the exiles, the Exiles were using Sith Swords at the time and it took a while for them to move beyond it during Legends.

From my recollection, the Sith were semi-responsible for the standard lightsaber design because the power cable is a major weak point on a protosaber, and Jedi were the first ones depicted as using them...Sith pushed Alchemy during the early war because they didn't have the same tech advantage that the Republic/Jedi forces had at the time...and the majority of the Sith and their forces were actually stronger than their Republic counterparts (partially because of it), the Republic had numbers and technology at the time.

A quite reader and Danu like this.
  4. USSExplorer

I think this is one of those areas were exact details are long since forgotten to the ravages of time.
    Though the logical way, I think, to lay it out is;
    Force-imbued blades - Sith
    Protsabers- Jedi
    (Though both may actually have been created by the Je'Daii before the first schism)
    Lightsabers - Sith
    However, common usage was by the Jedi as most sith ~5000BBY preferred their blades.

5. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I was mainly thinking about what was shown in the Tales of the Jedi stuff...for a lot of the Golden Age and other stuff of that point it rarely showed Sith with lightsabers at all, and Sith Swords had some really nasty options for those that knew how to make them because you could add a lot of other things into them beyond just the ability to resist lightsaber blades...one common thing was to add the ability to fire energy blasts out of absorbed energy that was based on something originally used with some amulets they made.

Other than the semi-ritualistic stuff in making lightsabers, the Jedi lost a lot in Legends, hell, holocron creation was suspected to be, partially, alchemic in nature, and when the Jedi stopped using armor, that entire branch of it ceased to be used by the Jedi as well to protect themselves.

It might be really interesting to have a Jedi Alchemist from shortly after that area get jumped to the more modern eras of Star Wars just to watch the crazy.

A quite reader likes this.
  6. USSExplorer

I haven't read Tales of the Jedi.
    Like most of the EU stuff, outside of games, I admit that my knowledge is lacking. (Which explains a few of the early chapters where Cam goes on tangents that just seem stupid in retrospect. i.e the term 'Master')

That's why I have two lore guys to run every idea past and bounce concepts off to see what is in canon, and what isn't.
    I do devel into the wiki, but I often end up deep-diving when I do. There's so much stuff outside of the more known stuff that can be read about and with it all now just lumped into 'Legends', its hard to tell what is more probable that others.

As for a character from the past, the only 1 that is possible based on the EU is Celeste Morne, but she's only from a time a few hundred years before Revan.
    1 reader/idea guy has suggested bringing back Shae Vizla through 'Force BS'. While the idea of bringing in aSW version of FemShep is appealing, I almost fell sorry for anyone who'd run into her, Cam and any force they had behind them.

Perhaps Cam can locate a few holocrons locked in the vaults of the Temple (or discover them elsewhere) to learn more about Force Alchemy. When and how though, I'm not sure.

7. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

The Tales of the Jedi stuff is really worth going through if you can get them, they're a very interesting setting and stories.

While the big story that's covered is Nomi Sunrider and Exar Kun's stuff with things coming off of that, the other tales that get worked in like the Golden Age of the Sith are fascinating and played a lot into developing things.

Celeste is only a short bit before Revan, as her story starts during Revans time and then she gets jammed into stasis as part of a crossover story arc that passed between all of the Darkhorse Star Wars lines then and ends in Cade's era...

If you want something interesting, during the development period for KotOR, Bastilla was originally going to be Nomi's descendant (at one point a granddaughter), but there was a marketing dispute due to a truck that was licensing the name for a few racing games...so they reworked her into what we got and the Revan/Shan bloodline popped up.

8. USSExplorer

Only comics I've managed to so far get my hands on is Republic/Dark Times.
    Finding a lot of the older EU stuff is difficult not that 'The Mouse' is in charge.

Celeste is, as I said, the only 1 that is possible based on lore. I'd love to see how she reacted to the High Council in the Prequels (and how freaked out Sidious would get at having a real Sentinel hunting his arse)
    Cam hasn't been kind, but he's just a kid from the past. Celeste is a Jedi, so could really lay into them for going soft/stupid.

The idea that Bastila was descended from Sunrider... Yeah, that would be scary and if added (and discovered) in ANP, would really ratchet up the Chosen One bs around Cam.
    2 bloodlines of legend and both Jedi and Sith.

Sorry Anakin, you're not the Chosen One anymore. :D

9. Zendrelax

I'll be honest, when Can and the older Jedi discussed finding a new planet to start building up their resources, I was expecting he would replicate Satele's feat if rediscovering Tython. That's the sort of place you could find a bunch if old holocrons.

10. USSExplorer

Tython, while a likely place to think for a refuge for Jedi, has been lost to time, due to the nature of the Deep Core and the laxness of the Jedi.
    However, Cam has already located a way to rediscover it, though he doesn't know that yet.

(Sorry for being vague, but I'd rather not spoil exactly how Tython will be rediscovered)

NightmareWarden likes this.
  11. Zendrelax

Oh, no worries about keeping things vague! I'm neither asking nor looking for spoilers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  12. Gorbian

Gorbian Ship nerd of epic proportions.

You know, given the story, I half expect Anakin to be a woman.

Y'know, "another one for his orbit" is how I believe Dooku put it.

13. USSExplorer

Why does everyone think I'm going to do that??? (Beyond that harem that seems to be the common outcome for most Gamer protags:p)

Anakin is male in this.

To be clear, I'm not angry, just had sooooo many reviews/PM's on FF asking to make Anakin -> Annie that it's driving me mad. (Well madder)
    Though getting to state that on a thread makes dealing with that, and other common questions much, much easier to handle.

14. Zendrelax

At least that's something that should clear up as soon as Anakin enters the story.

Inbetweenaction and Gorbian like this.
  15. Gorbian

Gorbian Ship nerd of epic proportions.

Yeah. Any question about it would be quashed. As I mostly followed this story over on FF, I hadn't seen all the questions about Annie Skywalker. Sorry OP.

16. Fayr

Fayr Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Any plans on who the pairing for cameron will be?

17. USSExplorer

Nae worries. Not angry with the question, just annoyed with the number of times I have to answer it over on ff.net

Most of the questions came via PM, so I ended up answering it over and over.
    I get why people ask, I do. But I like the dynamic of Cam mentoring Anakin/taking the role of Chosen One away from him.

18. USSExplorer

Not fully.
    The list of possibles is currently Serra, Aayla, Sia-Lan, Padme and Fay (though she's well down the road) and a few others that haven't appeared yet in-story, like Bo Katan.

It won't be a harem though, more an arrangement for mutual benefits between everyone involved.
    I also will probably not be writing out any scenes involving bedroom behaviour.
    Both because I don't want to bog the story down with regular sexcapades, and also as I doubt I could do a good job with them.

Fayr likes this.