1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. wert1990

wert1990 Getting out there.

So she confused tresome with tinity.
    Sounds reasonable.

Ryuketsu, tordg, daimahou and 6 others like this.
  2. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Holy shit...

Ah, the return of the only person in their group who understands all of the social dynamics better then Lisa.

tordg, Lupercal, Diller and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

If Taylor(1) and Amelia(1) are merged into Taylia(1), and then backups for Taylor and Amelia are activated. With Taylia, being a new person, would be a member of Pantheon and get a backup made? Can the Cloning tech handle merged individuals?

Will Taylia then go on to do a fusion dance with GU?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

Um, you know that Lily has a better defensive ability than Alexandria in her Endslayer armor, right? Timelock kinda pales next to full-body Sting.

5. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

[​IMG]

6. Daunmi

There is no such thing as too much defense or offense. Ever. Their final target is Scion, after all.

On the other hand... mass amalgamation of thinkers or tinkers might be interesting... unless it just compounds their limits/headaches.

7. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

My turn....:D
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]EDIT:i still think Lily is a Juggalette and this makeup would be what she wears when she hangs out with her insane clown posse..:)

doomlord9 likes this.
  8. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Yea.... Riley's known all that stuff since she was about 6 and a shard jammed all that biological knowledge into her head. It's just that until recently it's all been.... academic to her.

Does make you wonder what.... setting she uses the shower on though, heh. After all, where something might be too intense for a normal person (cat's tongues are rough), she can just tune down her sensitivity a notch... or increase her threshold.:eek:

9. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

Can Tohu copy combo-capes, or just their components?

If the latter, TriumviPantheon vs Tohu! Fighto!

Divabot, Sheaman3773 and TanaNari like this.
  10. dasstan

dasstan :)

Tohu copies Chev and uses him to merge the other Endbringers. Cue hilarity.

11. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Wait, wait... Yeah if you somehow get he Endbringers together there is nothing stated in the story so far that would prevent that power combination from being possible.

If you can work around the size limit then Tohu fusing with Taylor, Ziz with Tattletale, the and so on.

Mantellum, Eric, Lily, Alexandria, Legend, Crawler-clone, some others for flavor. I think we might have a Scion killer here.

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  12. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

Scion: "Path to replacement counterpart, complete."

13. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 263- Crystal
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 263- Crystal

"You can't possibly be this excited to move to Philadelphia," I said to my cousin the moment we weren't in earshot of everyone else. One of the side rooms, there were plenty of them in the new buildings on Avalon.

"Why not?" she asked, smiling.

"Because it's fucking Philadelphia," I reminded her. "In the middle of winter. You were living it up in Cali. Running around fighting crime in your bikini just to prove you didn't need the battle suit."

She chuckled. "Yeah, that was fun," she agreed. "But I can still do that. Not like the cold has any impact on me."

"Not really the kind of city you can do that in, cuz," I argued. "Whole other type of culture, even before factoring in the whole 'race' thing."

"Yeah, I know," she shrugged. "I'm still a Brockton Bay native. Even Arcadia had an uncomfortable amount of racial tension. Y'know, before Leviathan came along to prove that all humans are equal in the eyes of Endbringers. In a way, I'm looking forward to it. LA's villains were all so... well, nice. Sure, the normals were as much assholes as anywhere else, but all the villains are doing is robbery and blackmail shit. Seriously, arresting someone for rigging the Oscars is so much less satisfying than punching some hate crime committing bastard."

"Vicky, you can't solve every problem by beating it up," I sighed.

"That's true," she agreed. "But it usually solves the problem of unrepentant sacks of shit who don't have enough broken bones. Besides, there's all kinds of other benefits to moving to Philly."

I tried to crush the memory of our very brief moment of having the same thoughts.

"Not those kinds of benefits," Vicky sighed. "I'd be closer to home, which makes it easier to stop by and chat. Couple hours at most, max flight speed through Avalon. Even closer to Dad's work. Then there's that parahuman asylum, it's not so far away. We'd be going there for the parahumans that have the most problems with their powers. The ones that need our help the most, and the ones that are most likely to need a new home once they're functional."

"So it's a recruitment drive?" I asked. That's not a bad idea at all, actually.

"Exactly," Vicky agreed. "You're firmly on your feet in LA, now. You've got GL, Dubs, and Rebound as backup. Sure, they're not top tier, but they're a good team and we both know you're the real leader. I'm just the flashy one." I hesitated. She's not wrong. As much as she was theoretically the one in charge, I was the one coming up with all the plays. Which mostly just boiled down to 'which mission do I send Vicky to solo, and which do we take the team out on. I'll have to ask the Tinkers about getting them custom suits. GL probably can't get much use out of one, but Dubs and Rebound should.

"Fuck, you know how much I hate the responsibility," I sighed.

"I know," she agreed. "That's why you're good at it. The best leaders are never the ones who want to do it. Look at Ames. Or Aunt Sarah. They hate the job."

She was right, I admitted. About them, at least. "I'm still not very good at it."

"Well, too bad," Vicky chirped. "You know they can't ignore just how powerful my interaction with Chevalier can be. It'd be like splitting up Taylia. I think the bosses would pack up and cancel the whole 'west coast' experiment before they gave it up. Then we'd leave those kids in the lurch."

"Probably," I sighed. She's right about that, too. The things they could accomplish. Upgrading bodies in a way even Amelia couldn't, healing Case 53s, that was just too huge. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I bet if we really push the issue, we can get another Protectorate member moved to LA as a trade," she suggested.

"Don't see that working," I rejected the idea. "Sure, they'd probably agree to it, they'd be stupid not to. But then it's just a 'Protectorate' member, not one of ours. Too bad Lily's still stuck on the gateways."

Vicky shrugged. "I bet there will be people at the Asylum that'll start signing up to join the heroes once they can function normally. The Protectorate's going to recruit as many as possible, but I'll see about poaching some of them."

"Yeah, because that'll make Chevalier happy," I scoffed.

"Eh, I'll find some way to make it up to him," she smiled suggestively.

"God damn it, Victoria," I put a hand over my face. I already know way too much about what you like, please don't remind me.

"What?" she asked. "I just meant I'm going to kick so much bad guy ass that he won't care about losing a couple of the B-listers to Pantheon."

"Uh huh, sure," I sighed.

"Victoria, Eki, Janus, need you in the main office," Lisa's voice came over our coms.

"Coming," Vicky responded. She turned toward the lab. "Don't worry, I know the way."

My cousin turned out to be telling the truth. Eric fell in with us as we got to the door. Inside, Amy, Taylor, Lisa and Chevalier were waiting, along with Costa-Brown on the viewscreen. It wasn't as fancy as the ones at the 'real' offices. After all, this was meant to be a powers testing facility, and nothing more. Avalon had a more tech focused lab where Dragon and Trevor spent most of their efforts, and the bioengineering lab where Riley and Rey worked. Room for more to come as more Tinkers were recruited.

"So, we've come up with an arrangement," Lisa announced. "Vicky's offer to work with Chevalier for healing and, possibly, upgrading parahumans that were mentally or physically handicapped by their powers is clearly too good to ignore."

"Indeed," the Chief Director agreed. "Victoria will be authorized to stay at the Protectorate base, after signing the requisite nondisclosure forms of course. We'll arrange things with as many parahuman care facilities as possible come morning, and formulate a priority system."

"Pantheon's waiving involvement in that," Lisa replied. "We don't yet have disruptive parahumans to concern ourselves with. However, we are insisting on a flexible schedule, we may need to draw Vicky away for other purposes."

"Alexandria would like to arrange a meeting almost immediately," Costa-Brown added.

"Considering her value in confronting Endbringers and other powerful threats, I think fast tracking her appointment would be fair," Lisa supported. And this has nothing to do with how Alexandria is currently talking with us, right? "She's earned at least that much. In fact, we're bumping priority for all those who've been injured by Endbringers, yet unable to be healed by standard methods."

"Makes sense," Vicky agreed happily. She walked up to Chevalier and extended her hand. "Pleasure to be working with you." Dammit, Vicky. At least she was being subtle about her flirting, though I was willing to bet money that the only people in the room who didn't spot it were Taylor and Chevalier.

"Glad to have you," he shook her hand. "You've done some remarkable work in LA."

Vicky gave an exuberant smile that was what passed for demure with her. "Really? You've been following my career? I'm flattered."

Wait a second. Passengers influence personality. And Vicky has the same Passenger as Riley. Does that mean Riley's going to act like Vicky when she gets older? Oh my fucking god, Zach was right, I feel pity for Theo.

"So Janus," Lisa continued. "You'll be sending Atropos and Clotho back to Faultline. Crystal goes back to LA, and you'll need to follow Chevalier and Victoria through to establish a new teleportation site. Sorry to have kept you up so long, by the way."

"I'll survive," he remarked. "Hey, Vicky, is 'doesn't need to sleep' one of those upgrades you can build into people? Because if you could do that, everyone would love you. Except the coffee companies."

"Sorry," Vicky answered. "Humans need to sleep. It's a brain thing. I can cure sleep disorders, sure. But not sleeping itself. Same rules apply to eating."

"Worth a shot," he shrugged. For his schedule, it's probably like three in the morning. That has to suck so hard. "We'll need to shunt over before I start sending anyone anywhere. Good thing we're all in costume."

"Yeah," I agreed. "I'll go get Lily and Sabah. Do this in as few trips as possible."

=======================

A/N- I like all the things I worked into this chapter.

14. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I think you meant 'Aunt Sarah' here, since it's Vicky speaking to Crystal. Victoria would just say, 'mom,' wouldn't she?

15. NinjaDebugger

NinjaDebugger Getting out there.

Oddly enough, the sleep part isn't true, even in real life. There are several documented cases of brain damage resulting in no longer needing to sleep, to no apparent detriment, and what can be induced by brain damage can at least theoretically be done on purpose.

16. edale

With a healthy human brain, you go insane after 5 days without sleep, and die after 10 days without sleep (averages obviously, varies slightly from person to person).

Some chemical imbalances can extend this. The most common example of this is a manic personality disorder, with one of those it's possible to go MUCH longer without sleep (my personal record is around 32 days without sleep back when I was 14...back then I had a hypo-manic personality disorder, which just made my already existing sleeping problems MUCH worse...).

Even with some imbalance in brain chemistry though... if you don't get some sleep once your short-term memory reaches full you risk permanent brain-damage. Your brain NEEDS to transfer short-term to long-term memory and that ONLY happens during REM sleep.... Not sure how certain memory disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease, impacts this.

17. NinjaDebugger

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thái_Ngọc

I have seen other articles, about an eastern European man, but I'm on my phone and can't find them at the moment.

18. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

For the final section, you might want to replace one of them "him's" with "Chevalier", to make it obvious that it's still him talking, and not Eric.

Edit: Reading Fail.

19. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

You'll have to narrow down what part is the "final section". Because the last part was all Eric talking.

20. Daunmi

There's a big problem with the last few chapters, namely; nothing going wrong, and some things being fixed.

Now, I'm all for this. I don't mind reading good things!

But we never really got closure on the Lily situation, which means...

... hmm...

Looking forward to the next few.

TanaNari likes this.
  21. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

Looks like something's missing -- at least a ".

TanaNari likes this.
  22. edale

Note I said a "healthy human brain."

Cases like that are always preceded by some form of brain damage, whether physical injury or illness related.

23. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

I'm starting to hate these noodle incidents. I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

24. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

This is what omake are for.

TanaNari likes this.
  25. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Error, or are they lying to him to soften the blow?

It seems rather directly implied she was thinking vividly of Chevy.

Sheaman3773 and TanaNari like this.
  26. Daunmi

There's not really that much difference between one month and two and a half weeks.

TanaNari likes this.
  27. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

There's actually kind of a big difference? Even if "over a month" just means +1 day, that's still a week and a half.

But I was still feeling like a lot more time had passed and your comment reminded me that I've totally lost the thread on the timeline. Checking it shows that Emma was being melodramatic. About her dead unkillable boyfriend stuck in a murderloop. What a ditz.

Sheaman3773 and TanaNari like this.
  28. Daunmi

It might just be me. Time's kinda meaningless, as far as I'm concerned.

That kind of came out wrong. I don't have a lot of use for time, would be more accurate, and not much by way of an acknowledgment of its passing, so a week difference seems about the same as a day.

Coruscant Knave and TanaNari like this.
  29. NinjaDebugger

The point I am trying to make here is that the men involved seem to have otherwise healthy brains and live complete lives, which means it is quite likely that in the future we will be able to completely eliminate sleep as a necessity, even without bullshit space whale magic.

30. Daunmi

'Healthy human brain' could also be taken to mean 'normal human brain' because not sleeping isn't normal. At all. When 99%+ of the population flat out needs to sleep, one or a handful of people not needing to should be a sign that something is different. You may or may not call it 'wrong', but it's certainly different.

And, since we can't speculate on what sort of people they may have been like, or what they might have done with their lives had they not been different, we can't tell whether what makes them different is a good thing or a bad thing. And we shouldn't speculate on that matter either.

Normal people's bodies do do strange things without sleep (and I don't think anyone is denying that), so Vicky's statement that she can't 'fix' people so they don't need to sleep is, more or less at least, accurate.

It is, in a way, a lot like Amelia's 'I don't do brains' rule; she likely could do it to some degree at least, but she'd rather say she can't because she either believes it wouldn't be healthy for people (due to what's been discussed), or doesn't want to risk doing something she's not sure about.

Beyogi and TanaNari like this.