1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

They didn't just hold hands, they held hands in the sex pool. Sorta. For like a second.

As for noticing it, I'm trying to leave stuff for other people. Which is weird considering how unobservant I can be.

2. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Gotta save THAT for the climax. *Yandere grin*

Divabot likes this.
  3. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Senpai, no!

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  4. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Does this mean Yandere!Tohu Will confess her unyielding undying love to Zach-Sempai?

TanaNari likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 362- Colin
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 362- Colin

Hecate lowered the box of equipment down, then looked up at me. "So, this is going to be an all nighter for the rest of the week, probably. We can work in shifts, and I'll take care of my other business while you're sleeping."

I glanced over at Dragon. We should be in this to free her entirely, from the beginning. Not this... this! Pantheon's whole behavior pattern involves charging into things recklessly, and it's now that they choose to be cautious? Oh, right, Hecate said something. "That won't be an issue. I've optimized myself to only need six minutes of sleep in a twenty four hour period of time."

The girl hesitated for a moment, and then her colors changed. Her hair and skin changing from yellow to brown, and her eyes radiated solid black. Only the ends of her hair didn't change, remaining the same red color as always. "Oh, I see. That is convenient."

I nodded my agreement. My social tech indicated that the girl was upset by something, though I couldn't figure out why. Must be because her responses are so nonhuman.

Khepri spoke next, and my tech indicated she was emotionally exhausted. "We are long past due to put this disaster of an evening to rest. Our mobile command center can take care of Anima and Citrine. We'll leave it here, assign Clarice and Elena to look after them for the night. Take our new equipment back to our main labs and hope the pair of you can make something good come out of this mess. Dragon, you do what you need to start taking Lisa's role on the team."

Janus appeared next to Khepri. "You rang?"

"Yeah, you're going to send Defiant and Emma back to our capital first. Then we'll start getting everyone else sorted. Thank you for helping."

The man shrugged. "Hey, if I was charging a hundred dollars an hour, I'd still owe you ladies about fifteen or twenty grand. Not including the badass armor." He turned toward us, and held out his open hand. Hecate slapped his palm with hers and instantly vanished. "Man, it took me like two weeks to perfect that trick, but it was so worth it."

I simply extended my fist, so he couldn't do the same silliness with me. I instead received the minor indignity of him teleporting me with a fist bump.

I resisted the urge to punch the laptop. It contained the full record of every bit of data Saint had stolen from Dragon, every indignity he inflicted on her. Every dirty trick where he used her own nature as a weapon against her. It disgusted me, the casual cruelty his people inflicted, as if she was a toy to be abused. If it were in my power, I'd hunt him down and kill him myself, but I had to content myself with the knowledge that he'd never be able to lay his hands on her again. And hope that whatever Cauldron did to them, it was slow and extremely unpleasant.

Hecate had taken first crack at the Iron Maiden program, and I suspected she would never give me access to the machine. I should talk to her, convince her to help for real. At least she was a Tinker, so I could skip the small talk. "You believe Dragon should be freed from her restrictions, right?"

The girl kept reading the code connected to Iron Maiden as she spoke. "Of course I do. It's horrible what Richter did to her."

"And think of all the things she could achieve if unshackled," I suggested. "She's our best, perhaps even our only, hope against Scion."

The girl didn't respond, and I left it at that, returning to the macabre work of watching all the ways this bastard made the woman I love suffer. Convincing the girl to act without her bosses' permission would take time, but I was prepared to spend years studying Dragon's code to find the solution. Spending a few weeks convincing Hecate to let me work with Iron Maiden was minor by comparison. I refused to call it by Ascalon, despite that being the name in the files I was reading. Richter named it after a device of torture and murder, knowing full well that its purpose was one of torture and murder. Whatever I thought of Dragon's father, at least he was honest about that. He knew Dragon was a person capable of feeling pain, not a beast to be slaughtered.

"Well, this is convenient," Hecate declared after a while. "Turns out, I'll be able to loosen some of Richter's restrictions without altering Dragon's code at all. I've got a whole pool of options here."

I looked at her. "I'm all ears."

Her smile was broad, almost manic. That is the face of a Tinker that has ideas. Certainly dangerous, but also possibly a tool that I can use. One that I understand. "Know how humans only use ten percent of their brain?"

"That's a myth."

"Not in Dragon's case. Or, well, most of her ability to think is being crowded out by junk like diagnostic programs that never shut down. It's like if you had your computer running defrag and six different virus scans all at the same time... that never shut down... and use more processing as she gains it... know what, the analogy falls apart under analysis, point is they're processing hogs. Deliberate design flaws, and Richter's already designed these things to deactivate under some circumstances. I think on some level he was building her with the intent to turn her into a weapon. I've found aggression simulation that mimic parahuman conflict impulses. Plus a dozen other pleasure impulses. It's like she has a combat Thinker secondary power."

I frowned. Designed her as a weapon? That doesn't make sense. "Dragon never mentioned anything like that to me, before."

Hecate stopped to think for a moment. "If she even realized it on a conscious level... I could imagine she'd probably not want to talk about how she feels and thinks better when blowing shit up. She's designed to want to fight, probably due to Richter being influenced by his own Passenger, and when she engages in battle a number of her secondary processes are halted to give her better abilities. But I can circumvent that rule. Give her the potential to think approximately ten times faster than she currently does, just by flipping a few switches, instead of pulling wires out of the walls."

She stood from her workstation. "I'm not quite certain how much real improvement we'll see, there are different limitations that'll keep it from being a strict multiply by ten, but it's still a consequence free upgrade. Anyway, I'm off to go let the Empresses know this one."

I pulled my eyes away from Iron Maiden to look at Hecate's face. One of those bad habits Dragon keeps telling me to break, watching the device instead of watching the person talking about it. "You're not going to simply do it?"

"Our orders are clear, no changes unless they're approved by you, me, Dragon, Taylor and Amelia. Unanimously. Sure, this is a simple fix, probably the easiest and safest we'll ever find, and no one's going to object to doing it. But I'm sticking to regs on this one." She turned and walked away a few feet, likely so she could talk quietly. I looked at the program that held all the keys to helping Dragon. Chances are low that they'll ever let me work with it directly, but-

Space twisted, and suddenly the area between me and the device went from a few yards to half a mile.

"Sorry, no touching," a young girl's voice said from behind me. "You're lucky you're even allowed to look."

I deflated a little, turning around. "Good evening, Vista, it's been a while. So, are you my security detail?"

She looked up at me. She'd grown some in several months since I last really had a chance to talk to her, but she'd always be petite. There were a pair of boys flanking her, I didn't recognize either of them as the trio was out of costume. "Just following orders, and it's Lachesis now."

I might have smiled, but I was worried it'd be more creepy than friendly. She never seemed to mind my standoffish personality before, and always responded well to praise of her performance and work ethic. "You always were good at your job. But I think I liked it better when you were following my orders instead."

She shrugged. "I prefer it this way. I respected your integrity and honesty, up until you gave me a reason not to, and that is why I'm even telling you this. I always thought you were kind of an asshole."

I frowned, not so much because of the insult, it was true, after all, but she made it abundantly clear that I couldn't use our past relationship to convince her to help me with getting Dragon's freedom. I have no allies here.

The brown haired boy spoke up. "Wait, you actually know Defiant?"

"Yes, Zach, of course I do. How do you not recognize him? He used to lead Brockton Bay's Protectorate."

"Oh shit, you're Armsmaster?" The boy named Zach looked at me like I was some kind of alien. "Fuck, man, does Taylor have a fetish for collecting people who tried to kill her or something? Next thing you know she'll be recruiting Lung and Shadow Stalker."

I didn't bother responding to the comment. Any of them. Instead accessing my software to learn who Zach was. Zachariah Parker, aka Osiris, aka Respawn. Sixteen years old, parents were casualties of the fight with Siberian. Earliest Pantheon recruit that wasn't a founding member of the team.

"I was told we were here to look after a piece of advanced tinker technology," the blonde boy said. "I'm sorry, sir, but we were given very strict instructions to keep you from touching that device. Please don't cause trouble."

Somehow, he managed to keep his voice both gentle and intimidating. Unlike Vista, who at least felt there was a chance she could be hurt, the boys had absolutely no fear of me if this did become a fight. They know I have nothing that will work on them.

Emma turned back toward us. "Yeah, turns out Dragon is an artificial intelligence, and we now have the equivalent of her devkit and source code. Although the way she's designed it's closer to working with one of our brainmap backups than a computer program. We're working on upgrades. Speaking of which, we've got approval. Gonna take me an hour to double check everything and get the party started."

It's a start. Better than anything I had figured out how to do for her, at least.

Zach interrupted my thoughts. "Wait, I thought Dragon was your girlfriend."

Girlfriend? That term seemed juvenile, but not wrong. "She is."

Zach brought his hands up, as if to push me back. "Wait, wait. Lemme get this straight." He turns his hands toward each other as if holding a ball, moving them for emphasis as he spoke. "You are a tech geek who's also an asshole carrying around an excessively large phallic device, and you have a Canadian girlfriend who's really a robot? Do you realize that if this were a novel focused on symbolism, that you would be an allegory for the internet?"

Missy jabbed him in the side and he jumped away with an exclamation of surprise and discomfort. She looked at me apologetically. "Just ignore him. It's what the rest of us do."

"What?" Zach acted shocked and hurt. My software kindly informed me this was a lie, part of whatever act these children were putting on. "It's a perfectly valid point! At least I didn't ask him what robot poontang was like. That'd just be crass."

==============

A/N- Something about this chapter leads me to suspect that Taylor doesn't trust Defiant. Or like him very much.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  6. Argentorum

Argentorum Free Cat

And Zack's first line in the story after about 50 chapters is about robot poon.
    Truly, he is an example for all of mankind.

eNBious, Rakdos92, Buggy123 and 24 others like this.
  7. Coruscant Knave

Aaaand now I miss Aisha again. Cursed duck.

Totes taking credit for Zach's reappearance.

8. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

<Using Time Travel Device>

"One day, Emma Barnes, you will be working side by side with Armsmaster debugging the heroic AI Dragon at the behest of the planetary Empresses Taylor Hebert and Amelia Claire Lavere, aka Panacea on a world called Avalon which they will control completely and use as a staging ground to assault the new Endbringers that start popping up after you and Bonesaw create an army of anti-Endbringer shock troopers based off an alien race in a video game."

Emma: <Mouth Hanging>

"Also, you're dating an immortal parahuman nerd that can't stop himself from cracking an innuendo-related joke every time he opens his mouth."

Emma: <Starts Twitching>

"Surprisingly? It's actually way better than it sounds."

9. GiftofLove

Yet for some reason I feel like putting Zach there increases the likelihood of insubordination releasing Dragon early.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  10. Snake/Eater

Thats why Taylor wanted Zach there...Vengeance is always best served cold.

11. GiftofLove

I don't understand.

12. GiftofLove

Oh my god, Zach can clone Tinkertech.

Coruscant Knave likes this.
  13. Snake/Eater

It's a set up to help push Defiant to try unleashing Dragon....only to fail by having Dragon ordered to kill Colin.

14. Coruscant Knave

Only if he is now legitimately, seriously convinced Dragon isn't real (Defiant's Canadian girlfriend. Real funny, guys) and thinks keeping him away from the box is part of the gag.

15. dasstan

dasstan :)

Oh, Colin. Can't you see that she would give anything to be more human, and you are going about making yourself less?
    Bless you.

16. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

You don't understand something said by snake/eater? That's an encouraging sign.

When did this happen?

I was hoping people would react to that one. I briefly considered having him start rambling about how you'd have to be in a coma to use only ten percent of your brain, but then I decided he wasn't quite *that* bad. Or at least not when there was a task of this importance to him.

He's dating someone who's pretty much an organic crystalline computer, his best friend is a clone, his best friend's one girlfriend is also a clone and his best friend's OTHER girlfriend would find ways to make him wish he could die if he implied THEY aren't real.

Plus, y'know he dies a minimum of once or twice a day... so... he tries to avoid thinking about what is or is not a real person for very good reason.

Blame Wildbow for that one.

No, he thinks he's under orders to make sure Defiant doesn't get the box. The rest is just him being himself.

17. GiftofLove

You didn't know? Zach is a closet Tinker specializing in memes.

(I certainly didn't derp and misremember his suicide bombings as being able to duplicate things.)

18. Coruscant Knave

I was detailing a cracky scenario whereby I could see Zach actually giving Defiant the box...
    ...this was supposed to be Zach's thoughts after coming to the wrong conclusion that Dragon was somehow an elaborate practical joke on him...
    ...still a joke!

Jeez, Tana. Unless you're trolling me, then well played.

#Hedgin' erry day

cosoco likes this.
  19. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

allowed to look."
    He also had a brother named Peter, who Bonesaw made into a Man-Spider.

PineTreeq likes this.
  20. GiftofLove

Spider-baby.*

PineTreeq likes this.
  21. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I can't imagine Cauldron would have any use for him in any capacity outside of test subject. And since he's not really loyal, and they're doing their mass tests now, not even that.

Therefore, they copied Dragon's various things, changed her programming to make her go for a single-planet-restricted gray goo scenario that won't target humans, dumped her onto an empty but habitable world, and threw Saint onto it just before they set her off.

Then gave out videos of the reaction.

Coruscant Knave and TanaNari like this.
  22. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

So basically Cauldron uses Saint as the canary in the Dragon mine?

Dr. Mom: "If she doesn't kill him, then she's probably not going to kill all of us."

Dinah: "97.521% chance you're a doofus."

23. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

I can imagine a circumstance where Saint would be useful. Suppose that Dragon slipped her various restrictions, and was conquering all of the worlds. Cauldron could offer to give Saint to Dragon in exchange for not attacking certain worlds.

He may not have anyone who likes him, but he still has value as a bargaining piece.

24. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I'm in full support of both these plans!

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Omake: Morality Protocols
    evildice

"You have nothing to offer me."

"How about... Saint?"

"Contessa, c'mon. You tricked me into killing Saint last year."

"That was a present."

"It was horrible."

"Anyway. That was just a clone! We have the real one."

"Can't you just lock him up in a legal, legitimate prison somewhere away from me?"

"You... you don't enjoy slaying your enemies? Seeing them driven before you?"

"..."

"And what about the lamentations of their women? Isn't that also good?"

"I'm seriously re-thinking my morality protocols."

"Great, so soon you'll be able to enjoy murdering Saint, right?"

"That's not why."

Syphi, Yosarian, Gryphalcon and 53 others like this.
  26. Jurily

Jurily Getting out there.

I'd like to request Word of God that Richter's power was Manton limited or something to stop Unleashed Dragon from going paperclipper, especially since Pantheon is failing their gatekeeper duties quite hard.

Self-improving AIs are fucking scary.

Buggy123, Snake/Eater and cosoco like this.
  27. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Dragon/Contessa forever!

28. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Then you're not trying hard enough. I can think of several.

Wildbow already got that covered for you.

Also... did you really have to invoke THAT retard for your links? Honestly? You couldn't have used anyone else? Ellison? Asimov? Clarke? Y'know, someone with talent?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  29. evildice

This is what it looks like when one fanfiction author is jealous that someone else completed a story.

Authoring fanfiction.

Not even once.

30. Jurily

Jurily Getting out there.

Umm. I ran out of ponies?